Awoo.

Unpopular Sonic opinions!

Alice Twilight

Here are but a few from myself:

- SA2 is a terrible game. Sonic/Shadow stages are mediocrity at best. Knuckles and Rouge levels firstly, don't belong in a Sonic game and secondly are just terrribly designed. Tails/Eggman's stages are are the most boring, linear corridor-fest ever witness by humanity - they don't even have the benefit of good visuals to make things interesting.

-SA2's plot, while decent enough conceptually, was poorly written and featured terrible dialogue.

-Ryan Drummond, is a funny guy. He's a cool dude. He can't act though. In SA1 he was laughable, in SA2 he just sounded off. Heroes was just terrible (script was shite, but Drummond did himself no favours)

-Guns/weapons are not an inherantly bad idea in Sonic games. Take Ratchet and Clank as an example of how weapons can be well done in a platformer. Problem with Shadow's game was the story, the visual design, the excecution of the Guns, and so on.

-Nobody knows what the fuck Momentum actually is. Seriously, stop talking about it like its a feature the classic games had, that no other game had or has. Momentum is a product of mass and velocity and can be applied to anything that moves. The thing you are thinking of is inertia - the ability of a particle to resist a change in motion. I.e there is no such thing as instant transmission, and you can't stop (or turn corners) on a dime.

-The notion that you had to build up speed in the classics is incorrect. Since the advent of the spindash and indeed the boost, there is no reason for you to take a long run-up and build up some speed.

-Linearity isn't a bad thing. No seriously, its not a bad thing. I wouldn't mind a Sonic stage which is quite literally as straight as an arrow with no branching paths at all. As long as what is in that straight line is interesting and engaging and most importantly fun to play, I really don't give a fuck.

-Most fangames are total garbage. The only good ones are those which attempt to do something different (i.e Megamix or something). People trying to immitate the classics invariable fail because they are not HIrokazu Yasuhara. Most 3D fangames are incomprehensibly bad (I haven't seen enough of Freerunner to talk about it).

-2D is not a good idea. Yeah maybe the occasional spinoff as long as its not Sonic N (Where N is any integer value greater than 3). At this stage it feels like nothing more than nostalgia whoring and whatnot.

-Sonic Adventure 3 is about as necessary as Sonic 4. The formula itself wasn't even that good to be honest.

• Thumbs Up 7

- Archie have neither a grasp of the essence of Sonic character design nor any real sense of originality and/or consistency when it comes to character design.

First, you have female characters who are the same species as Sonic, Knuckles, Tails etc yet look like them in drag. There's Bernadette (Though her design as of very recently has been drastically improved), Lien-Da who frequently looks like Knuckles with a hair-do and a voluptous female frame and then there's Fiona who looks like Tails with tits, missing one tail and a barnet that looks like it was scalped from a human woman.

Don't get me started on Nic (Fang's sister).

There's also the thing about the artists not conforming to character design standards. What's wrong with the cover of Sonic X Issue 34? Amy and Knuckles appear to have discernible toes. Certain artist's styles display no understanding of how Sonic's quills work (Sanford Greene) or depict excessive musculature on the characters. No singlenon-human SEGASonic character has human-esque hair atop their heads. Marine's pigtails are not defined as hair seperate from her fur. Rouge's 'hair' at the bottom of her head is not human-esuqe hair. Neither is Vanilla's head marking. Whilst many Archie female characters have human-esque hair.

There are also extreme differences between designs of characters who are the same species. Mighty and Arlo. Abby and Barby. Fiona and Foxy etc.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah maybe the occasional spinoff as long as its not Sonic N

51YR9NYJTYL.jpg

Huh, and Sonic X doesn't work either because of the anime...

How about Sonic ϑ? I doubt SEGA will use that as a Sonic title anytime soon.

• Thumbs Up 4

I want a Sonic Adventure 3. 'Nuff Said.

And we need a Sonic '06 2. Edited by Dr. Felix

I read that as predated as in ate Sally Acorn. *facepalm*

I don't see why (some) Sally fans do this at all, I had the same problem, and dismissed under the premise that I was a SoJ - obsessive that was trying to 'kill' the American Canon and 'kill' Sally Acorn, holy cow, I never said a harsh word about Sally, I merely insisted she wasn't SegaSonic.

Because they think that seniority automatically equals superiority. Or because they feel the need to hold onto a falsehood to be assured that their beloved Squirrel is the better love interest for Sonic by merit of being the first (Which she isn't).

I had two idiots mention my liking for the SonAmy pairing in their rebuttals to my stamp when the stamp had nothing whatsoever to do with pairings in any way, shape or form. By doing that, they proved that they were referencing the romantic connotations of one of the characters the stamp pertained to (Amy) in order to discredit me when the stamp's point had nothing to do with Amy and Sally's romantic interests.

Shows how insanely rabid and fangirlish/fanboyish Sally/SonSal fans can be. They're no better than the rabid SonAmy fans.

You hate Special Stages but you got all the Chaos Emeralds in Heroes of all things? I genuinely don't understand that at all.

Anywho, I don't really feel like writing a wall of text as to why I feel the way I do about various things, so I'll just keep things brief:

I still think Sonic Heroes is the biggest piece of shit in the entire Sonic the Hedgehog game franchise. I hate it and I always will.

Sonic Chronicles was a fun game. It's not without its obvious flaws but I found it to be a considerably enjoyable experience.

I think Werehog is more fun and plays better than every other alternate gameplay mechanic in the series bar treasure hunting.

Sonic Shuffle is godlike. It's an immensely fun and surprisingly deep party game that I still play off and to to this day. No kidding.

Metal Sonic sucks. Mecha Sonic has always been a far cooler, far more threatening and far more interesting robot counterpart.

Knuckles is the best fucking character and the Master Emerald shouldn't be used as an excuse to have him be continuously shafted and reduced to a spin-off only character.

Please give him a medal right now. Bravo sir, BRA-VO!
  • Thumbs Up 1

How about Sonic ϑ?

What's that weird symbol? Looks like an Ear...

What's that weird symbol? Looks like an Ear...

It's the Greek letter, Theta; specifically its lowercase character.

It's the Greek letter, Theta; specifically its lowercase character.

Exactly. In mathematics, it's primarily used to denote an angle of an unknown value.

Edited by VEDJ-F

Not sure if there's anything new that I could add but, eh, I'll list some stuff.

Ryan Drummond and co. were excellent by the time of Heroes/ Battle/ Advance 3. Yeah yeah, the acting may not have been the best, but the "sound" of the voices were perfect imo, and laid the very foundation of what we expect the characters to sound like in english even to this very day. Alot of times I wish we did what Japan did and kept the same actors throughout all the games for consistency. Not hating on the other two groups though, they have their strong points as well.

Sonic Unleashed has every right to be included in the ever popular "Colors and Generations saved the series" statement, if not more so, having laid the groundwork that allowed the other two games to even exist. Not even gonna start on all the things the game did that the other two didn't even attempt. (I don't hate Colors and Generations btw, just annoyed that Unleashed isn't held in as high regard.)

• Thumbs Up 9

Not sure if there's anything new that I could add but, eh, I'll list some stuff.

Ryan Drummond and co. were excellent by the time of Heroes/ Battle/ Advance 3. Yeah yeah, the acting may not have been the best, but the "sound" of the voices were perfect imo, and laid the very foundation of what we expect the characters to sound like in english even to this very day. Alot of times I wish we did what Japan did and kept the same actors throughout all the games for consistency. Not hating on the other two groups though, they have their strong points as well.

Sonic Unleashed has every right to be included in the ever popular "Colors and Generations saved the series" statement, if not more so, having laid the groundwork that allowed the other two games to even exist. Not even gonna start on all the things the game did that the other two didn't even attempt. (I don't hate Colors and Generations btw, just annoyed that Unleashed isn't held in as high regard.)

Unleashed probably doesn't get held in such high regard solely because of the Werehog, I'll bet...

• Thumbs Up 4

I want a Sonic Adventure 3. 'Nuff Said.

That's not an unpopular opinion, YouTube is crawling with ppl who want a SA3......for some odd reason

That's not an unpopular opinion, YouTube is crawling with ppl who want a SA3......for some odd reason

I think you answered your own question there.:P

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic Unleashed, is basically a prettier and more charming version of SA2 to me: Sonic Unleashed to me excels in eberything that isnt gameplay and story namely the art design, atmosphere, and music. Other than that, it shares the same problems of SA2, somewhat decent Sonic gameplay with a ton of bullshit piled on to pad the game out. The Werehog (bad or not, it didnt really belong). hub worlds, medal collecting, Tornado missions. It really piles on and it really seems like you have to go through a lot of crap just to get to the good parts which in the end isnt even that good. Im sure its a wonderful game under the surface given how much love and care Sonic Team put into this game, but still, this kind of stuff stacks up for me.

• Thumbs Up 5

Some unpopular opinions I have:

Knuckles is the best rival ever, as unlike Shadow and Metal Sonic, he isn't a Sonic clone, and unlike Silver, he doesn't look like a fancharacter. I wish Sega would stop treating him like a joke character. Sonic X nailed him, as it depicted him as a intelligent and somewhat antisocial lone wolf who didn't get duped by Eggman all the time.

Metal Sonic is probably the most overrated Sonic character ever. I used to think he was pretty cool and badass when I was about ten years old, but now I realize he's a boring character with no personality and nothing interesting about him.

Sonic 2 is overrated as fuck, as its only speedy and fun stages are EHZ, CPZ and CNZ. The rest of the stages feature mediocre and boring level design that doesn't allow you to run. And since the game has 10 Zones (not counting DEZ, which is merely an arena for the final bosses), that means that only 30% of the game is truly speedy and Sonic-ish, with the rest of the game being boring and tedious, which is pathetic for a Sonic game. That's why I cringe when people call it the best game in the series.

Sonic Unleashed is a better game than SA2 and here's why:

First, the daytime stages were vastly superior to SA2's Sonic/Shadow stages, as they much larger, have more alternate paths and secret areas, and have a more skill-based gameplay that provides with exhilarating sense of speed not seen in any 3D Sonic game that came out before it. SA2's Sonic/Shadow stages were short and extremely linear (to the point that they felt like they were on rails) and Sonic and Shadow were too slow by Sonic standards.

And second, SU's real flaw (the fact that the tedious Werehog levels make up 50% of the game) is WORSE in SA2, where the mediocre shooting/treasure hunting stages make up 67% of the game.

The most enjoyable stages in a 3D Sonic game were the daytime stages in the Wii version of SU. Generations' modern gameplay would be superior if the game's controls were as tight and responsive as they were in Wii SU. Also, SU was the only game that nailed Sonic's 3D moves (though Generations came close).

The closest thing there has been to a decent Sonic cartoon is Sonic X. SatAM is an AWFUL show and it's so overrated it's not even funny: its character designs are terrible (why does Sonic have a mohawk?), it has mediocre animation, it's poorly written (each episode is ridden with so many plot holes it's ridiculous), its annoying original characters should never have been created (Sally is a extremely boring character, and I must call BS on Sonic, a carefree person who loves freedom and adventures, being attracted to a serious no-nonsense person like her), and its interpretations of the game's characters were cringe worthy: it turned Sonic into an annoying overgrown and immature child (Ben Hurst, the show's "main" writer, admitted this was his intention. WTF? Sonic is supposed to be a cool character with an attitude, and I dunno about you, my idea of "cool" isn't acting like an annoying overgrown child) who was constantly trying to be cool and failing by uttering annoying and moronic phrases like "Way past cool!", "Let's juice!" and "Let's do it to it!", and gave his enemies extremely immature nicknames (ie: Robuttnik, robutts, buttbots... ARGH!); Tails was an annoying and useless brat; and let's not even get started on Robotnik (who was all serious business and no longer designed and built robots, instead having a ugly midget do it for him... why is he called "Doctor" Robotnik, again?). Also, I hated how Sonic was usually struck to boring Knothole.

Also, SatAM is a terrible Sonic adaptation, as it's so damn different from the universe it's based on: Sega's Sonic was never a member of a rebellion fighting to free the world from a Robotnik who already conquered it, nor had a tragic origin with his family being roboticized. If the show's writers weren't such hacks, they would have been able to produce a good Sonic cartoon without changing everything like that.

Jaleel White sucks as Sonic, and the only reason why people think he's decent is nostalgia.

Amy is the most annoying Sonic character not created by Dic or Archie. Yes, she's worse than Charmy and Elise (COMBINED!).

Archie ruined the backstory of Knuckles and Angel Island. The echidna people are supposed to be an ancient civilization that was wiped out many years ago (this was true even before SA1 came out), not a modern city living on another dimension; and Knuckles should be the last echidna left and the only inhabitant of Angel Island. I cringe when people claim that Archie's version of the island's history is superior to the games' one because it's more complex. Being complex does NOT automatically make a story superior or more interesting.

During her first years, Mina was probably the only decent Archie Sonic character.

Sega should bring back Fang. He has a great design and would bring something new to the table, as he's an anthropomorphic villain, and the series doesn't have enough of those. Also, seeing Mecha Sonic again would be cool too, but I understand if Sega doesn't want to bring him back due to him being so similar to Metal Sonic.

The playable characters in main series Sonic game should be Sonic, Tails and Knuckles, rather than just Sonic.

Sega needs to stop introducing new Super forms. First there was only Super Sonic. Then came Hyper Sonic, Super Tails, Super Knuckles, etc. It became ridiculous. SA1 tried restrict it to just Super Sonic, but later games kept introducing new Super forms, and now have Super Shadow, Super Silver, Burning Blaze, Darkspine Sonic, Excalibur Sonic, and so on... ARGH!

Sonic's original design is overrated. His modern look fits him better. I mean, you would expect a character who supposedly is fast and agile and has an attitude to look tall and sleek rather than short, fat, cute, and Disney-ish.

Edit: Corrected some grammar mistakes (English isn't my native language).

Edited by Dere
  • Thumbs Up 1

-I don't think think the adventure series are very good games at all. It's gotten me into many arguments, flamewars and death threats on the sega forums about 2 years ago. I really don't think they were good games even for their time. Unlike most people, I actually criticize the shitty alternate playstyles (especially in SA2) instead of just passing them off as "something so minor that it shouldn't even be taken into consideration" Sorry but having a main Sonic game that's only 1/3 or less even remotely resembling of a Sonic game is huge fucking issue for me and same goes for werehog in Unleashed.

-I think Sonic Adventure 2 is the most overrated game ever made. Even more overrated than call of duty. The amount of forced praise this game gets from so many fanboys (Christian Johnson) is simply mindnumbing, and the fact that flame you for not liking it and they can't even defend it is even worse. The common answer is that if I don't like it then I'm not a true Sonic fan. Bullshit motherfucker.

-Sonic CD is my favorite Sonic game now and I enjoy Colors and Generations infinitely more than any part of Unleashed. Come at me SSMBros

• Thumbs Up 4

-I don't think think the adventure series are very good games at all. It's gotten me into many arguments, flamewars and death threats on the sega forums about 2 years ago. I really don't think they were good games even for their time. Unlike most people, I actually criticize the shitty alternate playstyles (especially in SA2) instead of just passing them off as "something so minor that it shouldn't even be taken into consideration" Sorry but having a main Sonic game that's only 1/3 or less even remotely resembling of a Sonic game is huge fucking issue for me and same goes for werehog in Unleashed.

-I think Sonic Adventure 2 is the most overrated game ever made. Even more overrated than call of duty. The amount of forced praise this game gets from so many fanboys (Christian Johnson) is simply mindnumbing, and the fact that flame you for not liking it and they can't even defend it is even worse. The common answer is that if I don't like it then I'm not a true Sonic fan. Bullshit motherfucker.

-Sonic CD is my favorite Sonic game now and I enjoy Colors and Generations infinitely more than any part of Unleashed. Come at me SSMBros

I agree with everything you said about SA2. Same thing happens to me on YouTube.

I personally thought the Werehog's speed when he is Dashing is an appropriate top speed for Sonic...

Then again that may be due to the fact that Unleashed's top speed hurt my eyes, especially during a boost.

I agree with everything you said about SA2. Same thing happens to me on YouTube.

Again. It's Youtube! You should be expecting this. tongue.png Edited by Sora

Sonic Unleashed, is basically a prettier and more charming version of SA2 to me: Sonic Unleashed to me excels in eberything that isnt gameplay and story namely the art design, atmosphere, and music. Other than that, it shares the same problems of SA2, somewhat decent Sonic gameplay with a ton of bullshit piled on to pad the game out. The Werehog (bad or not, it didnt really belong). hub worlds, medal collecting, Tornado missions. It really piles on and it really seems like you have to go through a lot of crap just to get to the good parts which in the end isnt even that good. Im sure its a wonderful game under the surface given how much love and care Sonic Team put into this game, but still, this kind of stuff stacks up for me.

I respect your opinion, and even though those things didn't bother me as much as most, I can see that they'd be deal-breakers.

Personally, I think something balanced would work, something in-between the content of Colors and Unleashed. I just don't want anything as bare-bones as Generations again, even though the gameplay was excellent.

• Thumbs Up 5