Awoo.

Unpopular Sonic opinions!

Alice Twilight

Here's another one: I don't think Elise is as terrible or annoying as people claimed she is. I can think of plenty more popular characters that befit either or both categories, like Charmy for instance. I like Elise's internal conflict of having to grow up exceedingly fast to become the reigning leader of a country at such a young age, thus being unable to really be as emotive and outgoing as other girls her age are, a conflict that literally manifests itself as the inability to cry due to the burgeoning demon inside. I think her actual mannerisms and personality are simple, sweet, and genuine; she's a female character that isn't completely overdone like Cream and to an extent Amy is, and she doesn't bitch like Chris did all the time in the first two seasons of X, understanding her limits and her responsibilities well enough that she's fairly competent. I think Elise is as much a victim of the poor writing as every other character is, and that she's not inherently some devil spawn character that everyone makes her out to be. If nothing else, I think part of that is just scapegoating due to the general terribleness of 06.

• Thumbs Up 9

Then......Why does your avatar have GREEN eyes??????????

Because I rule SSMB with an Iron Knuckles figure fist.

I think that Archie Sonic's better then Sega Sonic.

I think that Satam is the best Sonic cartoon that has been made so far.

I feel that the Satam and Archie Sonic characters are more interesting then most of the Sega Sonic characters.

I enjoy the Shadow the Hedgehog game.

I think that Sonic Colors is overrated and boring.

I think that both Sonic 1 and Sonic CD are extremely overrated.

I find the Sega canon version of Sonic to be a boring and annoying character. I think that the Satam and Archie versions have given the character more depth then Sega ever will.

I also think that Satam Robotnik's a better villain then Eggman.

I never really liked Jaleel White's Sonic. Both voice and attitude wise. And I'm glad that Sonic's cockiness isn't nearly as prominent in the games as it was in the old cartoons. Nevertheless I really loved AoSTH and SU, I didn't care so much SatAM.

That being said I never really cared for Archie's take on Sonic's character either since he always seemed to have that same annoying cockiness to him that the old cartoons had. Edit: It also seemed pretty out of charcter to have him crying over Sally all the time (at least in the older issues anyway, haven't kept up for a couple years). Sonic doesn't seem like the type of guy who needs to be in a relationship to me. It'll just tie him down.

I really loved the Shadow The Hedgehog game. It had it's flaws, yes, but I still found it really enjoyable with all the different routes you could take. I thought Jason Griffith did an EXCELLENT job as Shadow in this game too.

I think Rodger Craig Smith is an excellent, excellent voice actor but his voice seems just a little too mature for Sonic to me? It might just take me a little longer to get used to though.

Not sure if this is unpopular or not but I'd love to see the chao gardens come back in a future game.

Sonic's original design is overrated. His modern looks fits him better. I mean, you would expect a character who supposedly is fast and agile and has an attitude to look tall and sleek rather than short, fat, cute, and Disney-ish.

Agreed. I really loved his design in Sonic CD's animated scenes and the OVA as well, it's like a little bit of both!

Edited by StarwaveImpulse

Huh, I guess I'll put up a few more.

-I like ShTH over Heroes. Most games I play, I love them the first time I play them. For some reason, that didn't click with me in Heroes, whether that's due to multiple hit badniks, playing the levels about three times, or maybe I just didn't like playing as the Chaotix. I don't know. Oddly enough, I liked ShTH more in that I found most of the levels okay (minus the Maria levels), and the multiple hit badniks weren't as offensive in this game. Minus having to play Westopolis about 10 times (unless someone would want to play the level 326 times), I found ShTH to be pretty good.

-I like Chris Thorndyke as a character in Sonic X. Maybe I haven't watched Sonic X in forever, or maybe I just never kept up with it while it was still running. I liked him being with the Sonic 'crew', and I kind of liked his 'influence' on some of the events in the episodes' stories. However, I didn't like him stealing roles in the Adventure parts of Sonic X.

Don't kill me now. ;_;

-Unleashed is one of my favorite Sonic games. Probably close by Sonic 3 and Knuckles and SA2. I dunno, despite the filler it had, I liked it. Some of the Werehog levels are some of my favorites in the game.

-I enjoy the SA2 hunting and shooting stages. With the exception of most of Rouge's stages, I liked the hunting stages, and I'd say my favorite one was Meteor Herd because I just love messing around in that stage. The shooting stages, for the most part, are alright, although I still have no idea why Tails's gameplay in SA1 was scrapped in favor of the mechs.

-I dislike (most of) Colors. Whether it be the wisps, the level design, or the yellow spring stages, like Sonic Heroes, something doesn't really 'click' with me in this game. Despite having said that, I absolutely loved the jump in the game, and I wish more Sonic games would have floatier jumps.

• Thumbs Up 1

Archie ruined the backstory of Knuckles and Angel Island. The echidna people are supposed to be an ancient civilization that was wiped many years ago, not a modern city living on another dimension; and Knuckles should be the only echidna left.

During her first years, Mina was probably the only decent Archie Sonic character.

Well Archie isn't canon and it's been approved by Sega so go figure

Also, The archie comics are way better than what Sega have dished out story wise.

I really hate it when people complain about the OC too.

You could only get so far with just Sonic and Eggman fighting for 235 issues it'd get boring and repetitive and I'd rather see Sonic's world explored in a comic book rather than the games.

I just want to go fast.

I think that both Sonic 1 and Sonic CD are extremely overrated.

I liked CD but I'll admit it's overrated. The level design is bad.

As for Sonic 1 wow. You promise us speed and all we get is Green hill and Star light zone.

Yeah, we have to earn speed by getting momentum in stages but that's almost non-existant in Marble zone, Labyrinth zone and Scrap brain zone.

Sonic's the fastest thing alive right? The Blue blur?

I don't want to wait for slow moving platforms or push blocks to pull up spiky traps. I just want to roll around at the speed of sound.

Sonic Adventure 2's story was ruined bad choreography*, horrendous acting*, government conspiracies and quasi-politics that nobody wants in the material at hand*, and a pointlessly dark tone* (****Revenge of the Sith, anyone?)

Hey hey hey! Speak for yourself, not other people. No one asked or wanted a lot of things, but that doesn't stop any of those from enjoying it.

I agree with Spiky on the conspiracies shit. What the hell?

• Thumbs Up 1

Unpopular opinion for me: I would prefer a fixed version of Sonic 06 over Sonic Adventure 3. By fixed, I mean mainly the gameplay, as the story (another unpopular opinion) is fine by me.

Edited by tenchibr

I agree with Spiky on the conspiracies shit. What the hell?

Unpopular opinion for me: I would prefer a fixed version of Sonic 06 over Sonic Adventure 3. By fixed, I mean mainly the gameplay, as the story (another unpopular opinion) is fine by me.

Well Archie isn't canon and it's been approved by Sega so go figure

Edited by VEDJ-F

It was approved way back in the 90s, I don't think it'd be approved now (the Knuckles backstory, not Archie in general). :/

I know those are all mandates. In fact, right now on Bumbleking there's a rumour of family references being barred, so that'd make the approval of all that Brotherhood shit even LESS likely nowadays, and probably why you'll never see them referred to as direct family again.

PS: The mandate is that Sonic isn't allowed to get with ANY girl, not just Amy.

Edited by VEDJ-F

The story has tons of plot holes, and doesn't make any sense at some points. It certainly isn't fine.

Edited by tenchibr

My unpopular opinion is the one that I always spout off everytime these types of threads appear.

I hate Crush 40's music and my opinion is that I want them to stay away from the games forever and ever because UGH. I think they're pretty annoying/boring to listen to. In fact I'd be totally cool with all the vocal themes never happening again. Thankfully the last few games have not been full of super generic sounding 80s rock, so at least for now I'm satisfied. I also think Jun's compositions for the series keep getting worse too and I'm glad he has not been AS involved with the games recently (aside from Sonic 4 which I mean we all know how that turned out).

Of course, that's just how I feel on it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I choose to drive a road full of holes but a lot going on ('06) than to drive a straight, boring, predictable line (Generations).

Remember, I am discussing story only, of course Generations is better than '06.

Edited by The Groosenator
  • Thumbs Up 6

Sonic Unleashed was the last Sonic game that Sega and Sonic Team seemed genuinely excited about, an attitude very apparent in the blogs and marketing and one that is most apparent in the game's world-building, and that the fallout of the mixed critical consensus- which in many respects was unfair- is directly responsible for the two proceeding games lacking an incredible amount of heart and immersion, and in turn they're by-the-numbers affairs whose ever-hailed consistency is not enough to offset just how underwhelming they ultimately feel once you're done playing them.

I also think Jun's compositions for the series keep getting worse too and I'm glad he has not been AS involved with the games recently (aside from Sonic 4 which I mean we all know how that turned out).

Of course, that's just how I feel on it.

*Skips 9 pages of stuff*

Death Egg Robo (Sonic 2) was the best Eggy bos EVER CREATED! From start to finish I wanted to kick his ass sooo bad. When I was younger, S2's version of DER (Death egg robo) was the death of me. I could not beat his ass for shit. But the day I finally returned to the game and kicked his ass all over that spaceship was officially the most rewarding feeling I have ever gotten in any sonic game. And the terrifying music....SEGA have my children.

As for the SG version of DER, DAT FUCKING SONG! Just the feeling of literally returning to the hardest boss in the franchise only to get THE BEST FUCKING REMIX EVER was sooo satisfying. I think I seriously starting crying when I beat him the 1st time. And the look that sonic gives the destroyed robo before the results screen was my expression.

"YES I KICKED YOUR ASS. FUCK YOU"

.princewalkoff.gif

Edited by Eternal X

When people say that "SEGA is afraid to take risks", what exactly do they mean by that and what do they suggest Sega to do? Cause in the past whenever they took huge risks it ends up being too drastic and people hated it.

When people say that "SEGA is afraid to take risks", what exactly do they mean by that and what do they suggest Sega to do? Cause in the past whenever they took huge risks it ends up being too drastic and people hated it.

Make more nostalgia goggles genesis Sonic clones.

I don't mind the changes they make. I'm surprised Sega even listens to it's fanbase

"NO DON'T DO THIS!!" GREEN EYES? GRRR DAY 1 PIRATE!"