Awoo.

Unpopular Sonic opinions!

Alice Twilight

I still think that when Sega decided to market the Sonic series with one unified storyline all over the world, as opposed to the split Japanese and Western stories, they should have at least kept "Robotnik" as the egg-shaped scientist's main name (yes, i know that Eggman's "real" name is still Robotnik, but what i mean is that they should have allowed "Robotnik" to be the name by which people in the games actually call him). After all, "Robotnik" was the name by which people all over the world called the character while "Eggman" was a name he only had in one country, a country where the series wasn't even very popular at that. Even if "Eggman" came first i feel that Sega should have been considerate enough to allow the already most widely used name to stay, instead of trying to force a whole world of fans to start calling the guy something other than what we had for nearly a decade.

Edited by batson

-Sonic CD is one of the worst Sonic games I've ever played.

-The shooting/treasure hunting in SA2 aren't as bad as people make them out to be. They were both solid and had tight controls, the level designs were decent (save for the last few treasure hunting stages) and not that long (again save for the last few) or arduous as people claim.

-Heroes had some of the best level design in a 3D Sonic game ever and was a decent game. I also believe the level design is more classic than any of the modern games in the series.

-Archie Sonic is (as of now) a good series and their characterization of most characters is better than in the games.

-Archie Sonic deserves an animated adaptation.

-Sonic Rush does NOT have the best soundtrack in the series..... that's all I'm gonna say.

-Sonic 4 is NOT a bad game,

-Classic Sonic in Generations didn't do a good job at capture the genesis gameplay, and is the worst part of that game.

(Bad though? No)

• Thumbs Up 3

Holy snap this topic exploded from this morning!

Anyway, these have probably been said before but whatever

1. SA3. Why do I want another Adventure title? Well multiple reasons. First off let it be known that SA3 does not have to have mechs and treasure hunting stages! They can ask us fans (they've been doing that alot lately) for some gameplay ideas we'd like to see. Sonic has speed, Eggman has mech-shooting, but what would the others have? That's a good question, and I would like to see them come up with new ideas, or maybe re-work the old ones. (Look, people here have hugely exaggerated, the treasure hunting stages DO NOT take anyone half an hour long, nor are they shit. Neither are the mechs. They are just not as fun as Sonic's levels.)

The fact that another Adventure title might sell pretty good since there's still a mindset of alot of gamers who think SA3 would "save the series", even though it's already been saved 4 years ago. Still more buyers so whatever. Oh and yeah yeah yeah, Chao Gardens. They are fun as hell, and I have no idea why people hate them and don't want them when they have been completely optional in every game. Plus with online now would be way past cool.

2. I think we need another Sonic Shuffle and Sonic R. Sonic Shuffle could be another Sega All Stars game in the future, just make thre AI not as cheap and it could be quite a nice selling game. Also the concept for Sonic R was great, but the execution was bad. Cmon Sonic Team, just take me Back in Time....to a place where bad controls aren't there anymore. Fix the controls, make the stages longer or bigger, and add some bonus content to make a good version of Sonic R.

3. Seriously give us Knuckles back. We don't need no dumbass (OOOPS, Master Emerald broke again,) plot, Sonic 06 proved you can put him in any story if you try. I just want to punch shit and glide again, is that all?

4. Sonic Unleashed like Inferno mentioned awhile back, really is one of the most big-budgeted Sonic games, and you can tell Sonic Team put their heart into that game. It had alot of content, it was fun, and the graphics were gorgeous. Yeah they had the werehog, but the entire game felt like what Sonic Adventure did when it first came out. A well thought out and big-budget Sonic game made for the fans. And it sucks that most fans ignore these aspects and say it sucks just because of the Werehog.

5. We want Big the cat back, in his own game where he has to defeat Perfect Chaos using his fishing rod Stop with the gimmicks. Just give us a 3D platformer with Sonic and Co using fast gameplay. You say that people will tire of it, but how do you know? You haven't tried it out yet (Generations is the closest we've gotten) and people sure as hell aren't tired of the classics.

6. I hate Sonic 2. And Heroes is not shit, neither is (as much as I don't like it) Sonic 4. Shit, is Shadow and Sonic 06. A shitty Sonic game is when the game makes no sense, has horrible controls, rushed through production, glitches and errors that is not the players fault, and terrible music/sound. Adventure,2,Heroes (sorta), Unleashed, Sonic 4, NONE of these games fall into that category of things needed to make a Sonic game shit. We get it if you hate the game or whatever, but if you're gonna hate it, at least hate it right. A Shitty Sonic game and a Bad Sonic game are two completely different things.

• Thumbs Up 1

OK here's my two cents))

- I think Sonic adventure is a better game overall than Sonic adventure 2 (even though I love both)

- Shadow is one of my favorite characters

- I like Sonic the hedgehog 2006 quite a lot. There are a lot of things done wrong/incompleted but a lot of other things I love like enemies and bosses designs or the music, or simply the fact that the game is the last one that had a proper 3D gameplay without unnecessary forced 2D parts. Mephiles is the greatest villain in the series (next to Eggman of course...and Merlina))

- Speaking of storybook games, I love the characterisation in them and the stories

- I like first two riders games very much as well as Babylon Rouges

- I find Orbot and Cubot bad uninteresting slapstick characters just like the humor in Colors (and Unleashed to some extent) in general

- I don't like Sonic CD at all. I think the level design is just a mess and the bosses are awful. There are some good things about the game like Metal Sonic, Amy, animated scenes and SOME of the soundtrack, but the gameplay aspects... No. Compared to S3&K or even to Sonic 2 the game is utter crap. That's my opinion. Knuckles chaotix is even worse.

- I like Sonic Chronicles and wish there was a sequel. Same with Shadow the hedgehog

- Speaking of Shadow I'd love to see him playable again in a main 3D game where he'd get some important role like in Sa2, SH or S06

- I like Big's fishing levels and I enjoy returning to them from time to time to relax. Yes, they are very relaxing especially Emerald Coast and Ice Cap.

- I agree that Unleashed is the last game that had something in it. Something that makes me go back and replay some levels.

- I hate Unleashed humans design with passion

- I think Generations is a very good game with lots, no, TONS of missed opportunities, but I doubt that's an unpopular opinion))

- I think the franchise was better till Sonic Unleashed, because there were good interesting stories that made me more involved in playing games. Starting with Sonic Unleashed and especially after the game they kind of just screwed the lore and any sense of contiunity. And back then the games were longer, harder and had more substance to them which allows me to go back and replay them often.

- I think Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing is an OK game. Nothing special. Just a good cart racing game for a week or two.

- Oh yeah and I like realistic setting a lot. Just make some surreal levels as well. Sonic adventure and 2 did it right. S06 was a bit too much, but that was the point of the game so...

- I like Elise. Much, much a better character than Chris Thorndyke.

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 1

• I find Sonic CD's Japanese/European track to be overrated. While it's not necessarily terrible per se, it's not nearly as flawless as all the fanboys make it out to be.
  • Sonic Colors (Wii) and Generations are also overrated; the latter game was especially a disappointment.
  • Even though I'm far from being a classic fanboy, I have a passionate hatred for the "Dr. Eggman" name, and consider it to be one of the worst names to ever be thought of for a villain.
  • Despite their flaws, I actually liked Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 ( the latter only to a certain extent).
  • I also enjoyed Sonic 4: Episode I, despite the physics issues.
  • On the subject of Sonic 4, I don't think Jun Senoue's music is nearly as bad as many people say it is.
  • I like the Nighttime/Werehog gameplay in Unleashed (360) better than the Daytime gameplay.
  • I've grown tired of nearly every game nowadays only having Sonic as a playable character.

• Thumbs Up 1

Keep this topic on Sonic, not other games please.

Will do, bro.

If I remember correctly, you need to flick the control stick down once a fish grabs your line so you can actually secure the hook. After that, reeling them in is super easy. Figuring out that little tidbit actually made Big's levels far more enjoyable for me. They're calming little time-wasters.

It works, thank you. Now his missions are fun.

I never beat it when I had it on Dreamcast...

Wish I beat it on that first..

I also liked the Werehog; had so much fun with him *w*

And I find Sally from STH rather annoying.

Actually I hated her...seriously how many times had she married others and then somehow shit happended and she reunites with Sonic. Again. Bothers me till no end. Make up your mind women!

OK, so let's see:

- I don't really think Sonic's 'back' yet either

- I don't think there's anything wrong whatsoever with exploring darker stuff with the Sonic series

- I think certain people that follow Sonic (I don't really know whether to call them 'fans') are too scared of Sonic trying anything new or different and are indirectly responsible for making the games since Unleashed so shallow

- I like a number of Sonic fanfiction much better than SEGA's own stories

So yeah.

• Thumbs Up 5

I find it extremely frustrating that SA2 gets a whole lot of glory, when Unleashed does not.

When you strip away the details, you get two very similar games. Depending on who you are, each one features some gameplay that you really like, and some gameplay you really dislike.

In fact, I'd say that Unleashed is like SA2 but better. For one, I think the Werehog was better designed than the mech and treasure hunting stages. Both Daytime and SA2 speed are as linear as each other, but Daytime packs a whole lot more excitement into the mix so is just better, at least in my opinion.

Unleashed may have divided the fanbase, both with its bipolar gameplay and the advent of the Boost in the 3D titles, but I thought, on the whole, it was a much more stable and entertaining game overall than SA2.

Yet one is heralded as the best 3D Sonic game by numerous people, and the other is shat on as a game that was only marginally better than 06.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The way stories have been done in past Sonic games is not brilliant. And I'm not talking about Colours or Generations. As much as I enjoyed SA2's story (for what it was), I still think that it went about it in totally the wrong way.

Same with SA1, Heroes, Shadow, 06, Unleashed and Colours. In those games, the story was inescapable. In Generations, conversely, it didn't exist at all.

I also like the idea of Sonic stories delving a little deeper into the universe and maybe containing some darker material. I just want it to be done differently to SA2's "IN YO FACE" approach to the storyline.

I want a game where the environments you're running through tell as much of a story as the dialogue and cutscenes. The dialogue and cutscenes shouldn't be used just to spout expository bullshit, and should be used to develop the characters and their reactions to the events taking place. Dialogue isn't everything and the characters don't need to talk to convey emotion - facial expressions and body language exist for a reason.

Moreover the story should exist in a way that makes it suitable for everyone. Lots of the darker elements should be hidden in the level design, so that its there for those who want to go looking for it. When you find stuff like that hidden away in the game, that reveals more about the story than just the cutscenes and bleedingly obvious - it feels oh so satisfying. However, the story would remain simplistic to those who aren't interested in it.

The cutscenes themselves should be designed so that there are deeper, and potentially darker subtones coming through what the characters say, but it should be subtle. It would be mostly above what young 5-13 year old kids can understand, but they should also give late teens and adults a little more meat to work with. Stuff like satire, dark humour, sarchasm and whatnot can aid this.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 5

In fact, I'd say that Unleashed is like SA2 but better.

Both Daytime and SA2 speed are as linear as each other, but Daytime packs a whole lot more excitement into the mix so is just better, at least in my opinion.

(I'm not saying I agree with you, but it's worth pointing out)

So..If these two games are very similar (talking about Sonic/Shadow/Daytime levels) wouldn't it be just natural that Unleashed makes it better? I mean, Sa2 did it first and the game was out 2001!!! Unleashed came out 7 years later and there were many other games so Sonicteam had more than enough time to improve the formula.

(I'm not saying I agree with you, but it's worth pointing out)

So..If these two games are very similar (talking about Sonic/Shadow/Daytime levels) wouldn't it be just natural that Unleashed makes it better? I mean, Sa2 did it first and the game was out 2001!!! Unleashed came out 7 years later and there were many other games so Sonicteam had more than enough time to improve the formula.

They are similarly linear is all I'm saying. SA2 offered no advantage with level design. Unleashed and SA2 had the same level of gameplay "depth" as Dio would probably put it. Yet Unleashed offered more spectacle and excitement, with the same amount of actual gameplay. Sure, in Unleashed you do boost a lot, but in SA2 you run through just as many corridors - just without the boost.

As I said though, once you put in the details, they are different, but their backbone is very similar.

I can't really say I have an unpopular Sonic opinion. I guess I could say I liked Sonic Heroes, but it definitely hasn't aged too well. I was also very skeptical of it before it came out and was won over when I played it. It's decent I suppose, but not so much in this day and age as it was than.

Well, there perhaps is one but it's still nothing major. I consider Secret Rings to be worse than Sonic 2006. In Sonic 2006 I can't get around normally because of glitches, in Secret Rings I can't get around because I can only go in one direction pretty much and I have to endure constant tilt fests.

The other major issue is the way you obtain your goals. Secret Rings objectives are like consistent Silver's billiards.

Edited by Kokonoe

Ooooh-oooooh! Let me add another one to my list:

I never seemed to have this "slipperyness" problem that everyone seemed to have with Heroes.

Other than the crappy PS2 version, the Gamecube version of the game played and felt fine to me.

• Thumbs Up 6

I loved the PSP titles.

I'd love them too, but I can't get past the race on the second level due to a glitch. :(

I've got another unpopular opinion.

Heroes was a solid game. I don't know why people say it's a chore or the team mechanics weren't handled well.

Switching team members is easy. Using their abilities couldn't be simpler.

It was forced sure, well kinda really. What's the point in a team based game without "The real Super power of Team work!"

I like Sonic 4 Episode 1 better than Episode 2, because it's got speed and flow and isn't packed with frustrations... Though that opinion could be considered unpopular on here, outside of the fandom actually it's quite common so maybe I should think of another one...

I absolutely love Sonic Unleashed, including the Werehog, it might even be my favourite in the series (I just wish the Werehog levels were shorter).

• Thumbs Up 1

Out of the many voices that Sonic has had all of them I don't mind other than Sonic's voice in Sonic Generations. I consider it annoying in every way and hope in the future games I dont have to hear it again.

I liked the rap music in SA1 and SA2 because it added musical variety to the game other than the usual and predictable rock music and I hope they do it again in the near future.

Sometimes the Sonic series gets a bit too corny imo. Colors had him at his worst when it came to this also Chip in Sonic Unleashed did this as well. It mainly when the humor is forced is when I feel its a bit too corny.

SA2 is still my favorite game in the series and I hope they take the attitudes from all the characters in that game and make another game with it someday.

I prefer Sonic Ep.2 to Ep.1

Had to say why really but its mostly that I actually enjoyed running through part 2 levels because it felt more interesting and active even though it could of used some more spacing between obstacles.

Edited by Random Rhyme 3rd Verse

I think Black Doom is the funniest comic relief character in the entire series.

That's not the crazy part. The crazy part is I think the script writers did it on purpose.

I think Black Doom is the funniest comic relief character in the entire series.

That's not the crazy part. The crazy part is I think the script writers did it on purpose.

He's essentially any Saturday morning cartoon villain from the 80s/90s.

Okay but that didn't really answer my question.

I sorta did. Sega doesn't like taking risks because of the new concepts.

Most fans would rather play Genesis Sonic clones because they're afraid of change.

I welcome change, as I said with the newer games that have come out they make the older genesis ones look mediocre in comparrison

I choose to drive a road full of holes but a lot going on ('06) than to drive a straight, boring, predictable line (Generations).

Remember, I am discussing story only, of course Generations is better than '06.

- Ryan Drummond is still my favorite Sonic. I'd love to see him return. In fact, I'd want the whole Adventure era cast to return where it's possible. I never had a problem with the acting.

- I don't like Smith's Sonic all too much. The voice doesn't sound natural at all. Whenever I hear it I always can't help but think of how it's just an actor changing his voice. Furthermore, I don't think his (Or the whole current cast's) acting is nearly as good a people make it out to be. He's definitely not bad or anything, but I don't think he's anything special or so much better than the other 2 . Not to say I don't like any of the new cast. Higgins is great as Tails and I love Rouge's new voice. The only ones I don't like are Sonic, Amy and Knuckles.

- Jet's new voice is much better than his old one. I can't believe this opinion is unpopular, but I've seen most people say the new one was way too annoying. I actually really like his new voice.

- I like Eggman, I really do, but I think people really exaggerate how awesome he is in the games. I liked his intercom jokes in Colors and interactions with his past self in Generations, but other than that I don't really find him all too interesting or threatening. I know people will bring up stuff like "he broke the world apart" or " He sucked the life out of aliens", the way he acts makes it hard for me to take him seriously as a threat often, but not always. Archie Eggman is much better, though. He's goofy, but he can be pretty fucking scary. I'm ok with the way things are, but I do disagree with most people on him.

- While I'm not exactly wishing for it, I's actually like Sonic Adventure 3. I'd definitely want something more along the lines of Adventure games again. Name isn't important really.

- I don't like Metal Sonic. Mecha Sonic was cool, though.

- I would've loved Jaleel White speaking Classic Sonic in Generations. He did a great job in the cartoons. I don't care about how people say that was American Sonic and not Japanese Sonic, to me that's how Classic Sonic sounds.

- I find it hard to actually consider Amy as part of the classic cast. It has nothing to do with how I've started to hate her, but to me the classic cast is Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Robotnik. It just feels awkward.

- Marble Garden has some of the best music in the series

- While it's not the direction I want the series to continue in, I really enjoyed Colors and Generations stories, even if I often sound like I don't ^^

- I think Episode 2's sound track is great. Fuck you guys, Oil Desert Act 2 has an awesome track :U

- I think Sonic with a sword is a cool idea, hampered by crappy controls.

- I don't mind gameplay roulette. I don't need it and I'd rather not have it, but I was actually OK with it. I enjoyed all of the gameplay styles in SA2.

- When there are multiple characters,I want them to be necessary to complete the game. I like seeing their stories unfold and connect all together in the end like Adventure.

- I thought Chronicles (Mainly the story) and would love a sequel. But with fights more like the Mario & Luigi games.

- The Unleashed humans look great, but I don't feel they fit all too well with Sonic. I don't want exremely realistic humans like '06, but maybe something more like the Adventure titles, or something inbetween the two styles.

- I loved Marine

- I prefer Robotnik over Eggman, but I've gotten used to the new name, so it's not a big deal.

Uh, that's all I can think of at the moment.

Edit: You know, it's nice to let these things out.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yes. Sonic 06's base story is better than anything we have gotten after it (We have had nothing but shit since), but it's still full of plot holes. They would need to fix it up if recreating it.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sonic 06's story is flawed to the core. Its not even that fact that its doesn't fit Sonic. If any game - an RPG or otherwise - had this story, it would still be shite. It has a lot going on, sure, but everything going on is shit.

Sure you could improve it, but if you did in any meaningful way, it would no longer be Sonic 06.

You can like it, but its not better than the stuff that followed it. They are on the whole much simpler when you get to the backbone. The end result isn't brilliant, but it has the potential to be expanded to produce a much better end result, that Sonic 06 could ever have hoped to achieve.

I'm talking about the base of the story. Not the final thing. The base of the story certainly is far better than anything that followed. It had a wonderful foundation. It just wasn't pulled off correctly.

Also "It doesn't fit Sonic." isn't true at all. Sonic can also be serious and edgy, not just light hearted and kiddish. Take a look at Sonic Adventure, and also Sonic Adventure 2's stories. Mainly Sonic Adventure 2's story. The writing isn't perfect, but overall they pulled off serious and edgy very well.