Awoo.

Sonic IS on the iPhone

Psyguy

Sega Nerds made a twitter post saying Sonic was on the iPhone. $5.99 later and I have it. I took some screens.

sonic_iPhone.jpg

And here's the seganerds release with an actual video of someone playing it.

It's Sonic 1 on the iPhone. It's got giant buttons over the screen (if in full screen) and you can turn it into a mini-game gear. Personally, I'm a little disappointed they couldn't find something more natural than buttons. I mean, I can't think of anything better and- really- really - what are you gonna do with a game that was meant to have buttons on it?

I find it really weird that the game suffers from frame rate drops if in full screen mode. Super monkey ball, fully 3D, doesn't suffer at all. So why does a 2D side scroll drop? Did they fire this out on the weekend and slap a $5.99 price tag on it?

Overall - it's Sonic 1 on my iPhone. Now if I'm not checking out my twitter or e-mail during my paid poop - now I can play Sonic. Why not.

Edited by Psyguy

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Indigo Rush

• Psyguy

• Badnik Zero

• redmenace

Top Posters In This Topic

Sega Nerds made a twitter post saying Sonic was on the iPhone. $5.99 later and I have it. I took some screens.

sonic_iPhone.jpg

And here's the seganerds release with an actual video of someone playing it.

It's Sonic 1 on the iPhone. It's got giant buttons over the screen (if in full screen) and you can turn it into a mini-game gear. Personally, I'm a little disappointed they couldn't find something more natural than buttons. I mean, I can't think of anything better and- really- really - what are you gonna do with a game that was meant to have buttons on it?

I find it really weird that the game suffers from frame rate drops if in full screen mode. Super monkey ball, fully 3D, doesn't suffer at all. So why does a 2D side scroll drop? Did they fire this out on the weekend and slap a $5.99 price tag on it?

Overall - it's Sonic 1 on my iPhone. Now if I'm not checking out my twitter or e-mail during my paid poop - now I can play Sonic. Why not.

It's finally out?! *goes to download*

Fantastic find there, Psy. :D

EDIT: I see what you mean by a drop in framerate... hmm. I'm sure SEGA can release an update if necessary.

So I just blasted through Green Hill Zone. It's no Genesis controller, but it's much better native than if you jailbroke your iPhone. I recommend it, if anything for the fact that it's eons better than the GBA or the other mobile versions.

Edited by Indigo Rush

Looks pretty good. A bit surprised at the transparent controller buttons for the touch feature, because it's such a retro application of a touchscreen interface. I guess the game was meant to be played with buttons, though. Kind of so simple it should be obvious.

Anyways, my real authenticity test for any port of Sonic 1 is the spike test. Do spikes kill you with a double hit? :D

It's finally out?! *goes to download*

Fantastic find there, Psy. :D

EDIT: I see what you mean by a drop in framerate... hmm. I'm sure SEGA can release an update if necessary.

So I just blasted through Green Hill Zone. It's no Genesis controller, but it's much better native than if you jailbroke your iPhone. I recommend it, if anything for the fact that it's eons better than the GBA or the other mobile versions.

What isn't?

I have no iphone, I play the two parts in a shoddy normal phone when I got university though, and it's hard as hell, then again it's Sonic. If SEGA keeps their porting (which I doubt though) I might buy an iphone.

Looks pretty good. A bit surprised at the transparent controller buttons for the touch feature, because it's such a retro application of a touchscreen interface. I guess the game was meant to be played with buttons, though. Kind of so simple it should be obvious.

Anyways, my real authenticity test for any port of Sonic 1 is the spike test. Do spikes kill you with a double hit? :D

They probably used the rom that fixed this for Mega Collection, but who knows. Jam also had it corrected for Normal mode, but that was a completely different system there.

I checked, and... my gosh they fixed the bug. O_O

Oh come on, Sonic 1 again? Can sega do anything new like using Sonic 3 + knux?

Oh come on, Sonic 1 again? Can sega do anything new like using Sonic 3 + knux?

You say that like it was already on the iPhone. :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, it's listed as Sonic 1, implying that there will be more to follow, so hold yer horses, bro.

Edited by Indigo Rush

Do want new Sonic art. It'll probably be this months Channel lineart update actually. Meh, I already have Sonic 1 on my iPod Nano so this doesn't really interest me, the controls look pretty good though, I thought they'd do this.

It seems a little more laggy than the iPod version overall, but surprisingly enough, when switching from normal music to the invincibility music, there is no pause, unlike the iPod version.

If SEGA releases Sonic 2 or later on the iPhone, I might really want to get an iPhone. Right now, I'm satisified with my iPod Classic version of Sonic 1.

Cheaper than the Wii version. Hmm...

Does the virtual D-pad "move" when you press it, like in iPhone Pac-Man?

Cheaper than the Wii version. Hmm...

Does the virtual D-pad "move" when you press it, like in iPhone Pac-Man?

Yeah it moves :)

Yeah it moves :)

It also makes rude comments when you miss a jump. It keeps yelling at me. :c

But seriously, I'm actually happy to see that Sonic logo on the start screen; I haven't seen that blue one in a while.

logoxmj.jpg

I like it much more than that yellow themed logo. *yuck*

Edited by Indigo Rush

I checked, and... my gosh they fixed the bug. O_O

There are three versions of Sonic 1 for the Genesis.

The US one is missing some effects (The clouds don't move in GHZ, for example)

The Japanese one added some of these effects.

There was a revised rom in the Mega collection or something that removed the spike bug.

Love the art work on the first pic, but still am baffled at how people are still not bored of playing the same exact game on everything but the kitchen sink. Sure it's a classic, but for gods sake how many times can you re-release the same game?!

There are three versions of Sonic 1 for the Genesis.

The US one is missing some effects (The clouds don't move in GHZ, for example)

The Japanese one added some of these effects.

There was a revised rom in the Mega collection or something that removed the spike bug.

Ah, that's right, I totally forgot. They used the 3rd version here... although I'm curious why they used it here and not on the Virtual Console version and made you have to put a secret code in Mega Collection. *shrugs*

Love the art work on the first pic, but still am baffled at how people are still not bored of playing the same exact game on everything but the kitchen sink. Sure it's a classic, but for gods sake how many times can you re-release the same game?!

The same reason people play Tetris, Pacman, Mario, Galaga and other arcade-ish games over and over; they are legitimately good games that are great time wasters: you can play them for hours without losing the value of the game itself!

The thing with Sonic 1 is its fun gameplay with the spinning and rolling and whatnot, the speed, adventure, multiple paths and bonus levels. The flow is seamless and the game can be played head-on without watching cutscenes and whatnot. You can play the game for the story, the fun, to speedrun, to explore the different branching paths or to get the highest score possible! I can't seem to get bored of classic Sonic!

My only nitpicks with Sonic 1 are so minor it's less-than-detrimental to the experience: the white stripe on Sonic's shoe disappears when he jumps on a spring, and for some reason, when he's against certain objects and jumps right next to them, he jumps up in a walking motion rather than a spinning one. That's it. I can't even call my want for a spindash and insta-shield valid because these features aren't even necessary to complete the game! Sonic 1 is practically perfect, and it's this perfection that makes it such a fun game to play over and over again.

Edited by Indigo Rush