Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 2 Discussion, Speculation, Media Topic

Stritix

Personally, the Adventure games are guilty pleasures, not good games, to me. Much like my opinion of Sonic Unleashed. I had an issue with the genre roulette when I first played them, and I have an issue with the genre roulette now. Sonic's gameplay in the first Adventure had a lot going for it, and it could have evolved into something amazing. Spoiler alert: It didn't.

SA2 is regarded as the last good Sonic game? That actually seems to depend on your age group. I'm 21. I have a few friends who are older than me and Sonic & Knuckles is pretty much regarded the last good game to them. Some of my friends who are my age feel the same way, and some others like the games up until SA2, admittedly mostly for the Chao Gardens, which seem more popular than Sonic itself among these friends. I have some brothers a few years younger than me and their friends think I'm insane for playing Colors and Generations but not thinking highly of SA2. And then I have a much younger brother, whose twelve-year-old friend says Sonic Unleashed was the last good Sonic game. And he played it on Wii! (Hint: He never actually touched any games after Unleashed. Do you see a pattern here?) It honestly just looks to me like people just jump on the "new Sonic games suck lol" bandwagon as they get older. It's mostly in the nostalgia. Someday we'll have people claiming Generations or even the next Sonic game was the "last good Sonic game."

Since Pokémon seems really popular here (with Pokémon Week and all), I think an example from that series might make a good comparison. It's similar to the "Generation x was the last good Pokémon generation, after that they stopped looking like Pokémon" comments, with x being a variable depending mostly on the person's age. Because a pile of purple sludge and six eggs with faces are definitely good designs. But now I'm getting off-topic.

tl;dr adventure games and nostalgia and exeggcute suck and that's all my opinion and doesn't necessarily have to be yours

So basically the first DOOM sucked if we go by today's standards.

Edited by tenchibr

Sonic Adventure wasn't nearly as influential or ground-breaking as Doom.

And ironically, you mentioned earlier that today's standards are measured on First Person Shooters, like Call of Duty. Doom was more ground-breaking than Sonic Adventure, that I agree, but to say that today's FPS represent the best our generation has to offer is, although true, really unsatisfying.

P.S.: I believe Sonic Adventure has aged better than Doom. Bite me.

And ironically, you mentioned earlier that today's standards are measured on First Person Shooters, like Call of Duty. Doom was more ground-breaking than Sonic Adventure, that I agree, but to say that today's FPS represent the best our generation has to offer is, although true, really unsatisfying.

I never said anything of the sort. I'm merely pointing out several reasons as to why the games were so praised at the time; as far as platformers go, they were unprecedented in visual quality and story presentation, and they were the first Sonic games we'd seen after a massive hiatus.

Fascinating.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only reason why SEGA is keeping this mum in my opinion is because the game is probably being worked on, and by that, I mean all those quirks we have talked here.

I expect something like the character's dialogue will be fixed, like timing and such, maybe because one of us (myself included) suggested it. And maybe they meant to announce it earlier on, but with the amount of passion we are giving over it, they will be careful, especially after the disappointment Sonic 4: Episode II turned out to be.

Mind you, the disappointment I mention is on their part, based on the customer/critic reactions that the game got. I am sure they were happy with it but will try a little harder with this upcoming title.

Opinions are opinions, but I'm not sure it's fair to say a game sucks because it hasn't aged well. A lot of games don't age well, but they were still good...at their time of release. Like....Pong. GREAT game when it was released. Nobody would ever play it now. And yeah, I know...it's an exaggeration. SA2 isn't as important or good for it's time, I'm just talking general principle

I do agree with you here. I don't think it is really fair to compare a game in the earlier days of 3D (in this case 2001, or for SA1's case, 1999) to 2012 standards, since games have advanced a LOT.

But there was NO excuse to put fishing in SA1. EVER.

• Thumbs Up 3

Damn, I like SA2 and even I gotta admit it's aged like Crap. If the game came out today it would probably be my most hated Sonic game (better graphics or not)

The only reason why SEGA is keeping this mum in my opinion is because the game is probably being worked on, and by that, I mean all those quirks we have talked here.

After that garbage they tried to sell as an SA port, I wouldn't be surprised.

And I think they want to annouce it on Sonic Boom. I mean Sonic Boom is in LA and SA2 city is based on LA. And since Sonic Boom is organised fully by SEGA something like this might happen. I mean we got ASRT character annoucement durning SOS so it's possible.

Edited by HUNTER297

And I think they want to annouce it on Sonic Boom. I mean Sonic Boom is in LA and SA2 city is based on LA.

Really? I thought SA2 city is based on San Francisco.

Not quite the nice rebuttal there, brogino.

Sonic adventure has aged better, but a classic like Doom can be put down so easily. True I played Doom a little while after I played the Sonic Adventure games, but I have to say Doom gets better every time I play it. The Sonic adventure games on the other hand, kinda don't.

Really? I thought SA2 city is based on San Francisco.

Crap. Sorry my bad. I'm not really good with cities in US :P

Got a question for people at Summer of Sonic: Could the footage playing on the screens whilst Jun was playing Metal Harbor have been from SA2 HD? It looked like it could have been to me. :S

Edited by The Hoenn Kid

I can't do that if they suck.

I seriously don't get this argument. Do you honestly think I buy video games with the intent of hating them?

No i dont think you buy games to hate them, but when the adventure games came out people liked them for other reasons then they were all they could get at the time. Because if that was the case just go back and keep playing the classics, I did but i still like adventure 1 and 2. I dont think they are amazing games but there better then you and others are making them out to be.

In addition to what Desudash (lol) said, couldn't this logic be applied to ANY game a lot of people happen to dislike? Not to mention that you're basically stating that no discussion on the quality of the games or expression of a negative opinion thereof should be taking place here. Why not, might I ask?

Yes the logic can, there are people that actualy like 06 and it sucked right when it came out. And im sure there are plenty of other games like that. And im not saying to stop discussing quality and the rest of that opinion stuff, it just seemd to come out of nowhere to me.

Edited by Eternlo
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guys, guys, listen: I think when SEGA said they would be focusing on digital content from now on, they meant it.

I really believe the upcoming ports will get the treatments they deserve, including SA2. I also believe SEGA will not let Phantasy Star Online 2 go down in the West like PSU did. And finally, I really think that whatever Sonic title they are cooking up, that there will be respectable DLC down the pipeline.

Hopefully they will do that with Transformed. Sounds off-topic a little, but I believe Adventure 2 is the apple of SEGA's eyes. That's the one project, crap or not, that they want to be remembered for. They will NOT screw this one up. I will put my hand in the fire if they do.

Quick question, what were the compliants the Battle port got? since they are flidding around with the insides of this game I'm wondering if they will go back and clean up some of the problems the battle port had, Seeing as this is the 2nd port of SA2 I'm sure we will get some bugfixes at the least.

A suppose an enhanced port of SA2 will probably take a lot longer that Sonic CD did. I would rather SEGA take a longer time to get it right than rush it and give us a shit port. If no October release date, then a mid December release date for 2013. Just before the world ends-which I will miss as I will be playing SA2!!!!!!

EDIT: I meant 2012 not 2013.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

It's okay for games to be average and flawed. Not everything is great or terrible, some games are hit or miss and appeal to some more than others. Regardless of your view of the Adventures, the real shame is the failure to learn from their mistakes. Heroes had different flaws, but Shadow/'06/Unleashed all kept various flaws from the Dreamcast era. I think that's the real reason the games haven't aged well. If the games progressed, it would just be Early Installment Weirdness for 3D Sonic and people would see the seeds of future greatness there. Because future games kept the negative aspects and got worse...it's harder to overlook genre roulette, and needlessly dramatic stories. Both aspects STILL infected the franchise throughout it's Dork Age.

Ironically, Unleashed could be remembered more positively than it was at the time if the franchise continues it's upward tick, as the "father" of the Modern gameplay style.

It's all subjective, though. People like what they like. I don't think we should yell at each other to have different opinions.

• Thumbs Up 7

It's okay for games to be average and flawed. Not everything is great or terrible, some games are hit or miss and appeal to some more than others. Regardless of your view of the Adventures, the real shame is the failure to learn from their mistakes. Heroes had different flaws, but Shadow/'06/Unleashed all kept various flaws from the Dreamcast era. I think that's the real reason the games haven't aged well. If the games progressed, it would just be Early Installment Weirdness for 3D Sonic and people would see the seeds of future greatness there. Because future games kept the negative aspects and got worse...it's harder to overlook genre roulette, and needlessly dramatic stories. Both aspects STILL infected the franchise throughout it's Dork Age.

Ironically, Unleashed could be remembered more positively than it was at the time if the franchise continues it's upward tick, as the "father" of the Modern gameplay style.

It's all subjective, though. People like what they like. I don't think we should yell at each other to have different opinions.

Lol, Dork age. But you are right, the time of yelling is over. Now i shall continue being excited.