Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 2 Discussion, Speculation, Media Topic

Stritix

I guess it's a larger debate topic, but should retro games really be analyzed in terms of "Do they stand up today?". Hell no, they don't. Who cares? It's just a lazy way of expressing legitimate gripes. SA:DX is flawed as heck, couldn't the reviewers explain why that is? Nah, let's just use stupid cliches!

Anyways, I'm stoked. Two of the three games I plan to buy this fall are re-releases.

Edited by Crazizzle
  • Thumbs Up 1

Since you didn't seem to see it the first several times it was asked (by any of the people who asked):

They've actually improved the visuals this time. Widescreen, higher polly models, new life icons, more stage detail, enhanced textures. And that's just what I'm seeing from the screenshots they gave us.

Exactly what part of any of the screenshots we've seen show that they've done any of this besides fiddling with the HUD and rendering in 16:9? The leaked screens were so identical to the game running on an emulator at HD resolutions that people in this thread weren't even sure that the HUD had been repositioned until direct comparisons were made.

You render a game with at least 50% more vertical resolution and of course the models and stages are going to look cleaner and more detailed. That doesn't mean you did anything besides render the game at a higher resolution.

Edited by Gilda
  • Thumbs Up 4

Since you didn't seem to see it the first several times it was asked (by any of the people who asked)

I must have missed those. The notification box usually removes all the red notifications with one click. Well I'm responding now so does it matter?

Exactly what part of any of the screenshots we've seen show that they've done any of this besides fiddling with the HUD and rendering in 16:9? The leaked screens were so identical to the game running on an emulator at HD resolutions that people in this thread weren't even sure that the HUD had been repositioned until direct comparisons were made.

I may be wrong about the models, but the rest is very true.

You can clearly see the new life icons. There does appear to be more detail in stages. Someone also did a small comparison via an emulator, and you could clearly see another one or two destroyable objects at the start of Eggman's stage to back up my statement.

You can clearly see the new life icons.

Fiddling with the HUD, as I said; and only done for Shadow and Sonic anyway.

There does appear to be more detail in stages.

50% more vertical resolution.

Someone also did a small comparison via an emulator, and you could clearly see another one or two destroyable objects at the start of Eggman's stage to back up my statement.

You mean this:

I got curious and made a comparison using dolphinarrowzk.jpg

Dolphin is the top photo, new version is the bottom photo.

I tried to make it as accurate as possible.

Edit : Let me add this here so that I don't get my ass kicked later, the arrow is missing the pattern seen in the bottom part because of a minor emulator glitch. And for those that don't know dolphin emulator = gamecube/wii, so yes this is SA2:B.

Also forgive me for my failure at taking screen shots properly.

?

Edited by Gilda

I look forward to playing through Sonic and Shadow's action stages again, as they are genuinely fun, if a bit shallow at times.

The others? Meh...

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't wait to finally play this game!! It looks amazing! Especially the Sonic and Shadow stages!

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't wait to finally play this game!! It looks amazing! Especially the Sonic and Shadow stages!

It may look "amazing", but it'll still play like crap.

Wow, look at these filtered textures, you can see the details much better. The game really feels more polished and clean and the widescreen doesn't seems to blur or stretch anything. The background is still a bit odd (looks like a photography), but considering the game's age... well they could certainly make some adjustments, but hey, look at these shadows <333 Hehe, looking forward to it.

You mean this ?

That's it I believe.

I apply this to the Unleashed gameplay formula too.

Opinions, opinions. Let people have theirs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Really subtle way to describe your opinion toward other's...

• Thumbs Up 2

Seein' those screens have re-awakened some bad gaming memories man.

Am I the only one who GLAD they're doing this?

I mean, everybody else is completely non-optimistic...

• Thumbs Up 8

You may have lost some of my posts smile.png

Edited by Jango

Sonic Retro is taking this game's port better then these guys at this point.

Anyways. Hmm, doesn't look like there just touching up the HUD but other stuff too the ring box Icon has been changed. Wonder what other little changes they are making?...

• Thumbs Up 2

No, I'm also glad. I really can't wait to playthrough this game in HD with all the updates.

Don't let the others get you down ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, mon, it's not like I said the game is complete trash; I just said that I prefer the Sonic/Shadow stages over the others (and Chao Garden).

The screenshots looks to be the same to me. I don't see much improvement. :\

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 2

Why would we be optimistic over a re-release of a mediocre game? Edited by Felix

Why would we be optimistic over a re-release of a mediocre game?

Opinions, opinions.

Let people have theirs.

I don't think the game is mediocre. It's still one of my favorite 3D Sonic games but I don't treat the game like it's so godly and I don't enjoy it as much like so many people here and all over the internet.

I'm mainly looking forward to this since it's been so long since I've last played SA2 and I really need my Sonic fix.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 4

Why would we be optimistic over a re-release of a mediocre game?

Hey, "we", speak for yourself man. I've been looking forward to this for awhile since we may be getting a PC port out of all this which this game has needed for quite some time.

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 9

I've been looking forward to this for awhile since we may be getting a PC port out of all this which this game has needed for quite some time.

At this point, that's the only thing I'm looking forward to, for obvious reasons...