Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 2 Discussion, Speculation, Media Topic

Stritix

Citation?

Yeah thats the hard part which is why I changed my statement. the information from that era is lost to time and I'll have to search Retro or CulT's archives to find that statement. Sounds like I got a weekend thing to do now... 

It would've been here but the server wipe and all took that information with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Kirk Thornton has the potential to be the best Shadow of the bunch, if it weren't for them trying to make him sound like something is in his throat trying to imitate Griffith's Shadow.

But complaining about the voice direction the series has currently is a little off topic. So I'll leave it at that.

Hi everyone, I don't know if it's been said/ask already, but I don't wanna read the whole 134 pages so I'm asking it now :

I wanted to know if there had been any informations about the DLCs of the dreamcast ?

These ones, in particular :

- The dreamcast's costumes (PSO, Halloween and Christmas)

- The Bonus Kart stages (High Speed Trial, Egg Robo!, Fantasy Zone)

DLCs for the PC version of SA2.

I found not one piece of information anywhere, and I feel like SEGA is going to not bother making them, which I find really desappointing for the porting of one of their greatest 3D Sonic games....

I really enjoyed these DLCs, but now that my dreamcast is pretty dead, I'd like to be able to continue to play them in HD on the PC version. That way we would have a game containing EVERYTHING from SA2 and SA2B.

So if anyone knows anything about them, or if some people are making a petition, please let me know, thank you.

PS: Why the heck did they even remove the seasonal costumes from SA2 to SA2B anyway ? I mean, those were already in the game !!

For the correct address, 0 was no costumes, 1, costume, 2, Halloween costume and 3 was Christmas costume. All they had to do is leave it. I truly don't understand why would they remove it...

(the bonus kart stages weren't on the disc though).

So, I'd like to share a story with you about my experiences with SA2 HD. Long story short, my save file is glitched and impossible to complete.

Now, I decided to simultaneously play through the Hero and Dark stories. Stopping Hero at Mission Street, swapping to Dark, quitting at Egg Quarters, then playing some Nintendo Land. I also swapped to Japanese language at one point after the Hero story. Then, the next day, I came back, progressed through Hero up to Death Chamber, then quit again.

So, yesterday, I began playing, but quit during Rouge's recap because I remembered I was supposed to swap to English. So, I did just that, and started up the Dark story once more.

I began playing Route 280. Yes, my game glitched and made me skip SIX ENTIRE LEVELS. I seriously doubt anyone in my household would play the game, let alone go into my save and beat levels. Supporting that was how none of my characters had their upgrades, and how the game's world map didn't show the stages at all, as if they didn't exist. But they did, as I loaded in Egg Quarters before quitting.

So, I tried to make the most of it. Sky Rail was extremely easy. The Egg Golem was balls hard until I worked out a strategy. What I did was run to the right immediately as the boss started. I jumped at the edge of the ledge, and barely landed on the platform below, where I managed to jump onto the pulley and defeat the behemoth. With Mad Space, I got lucky and didn't have to dig for the emerald shards. I got the iron boots as usual. I beat Knuckles, no sweat. However, I hit an impass at Cosmic Wall: It's literally IMPOSSIBLE to beat without the rocket booster upgrade. And so, my journey ends there.

I will make a new save and start over, but I thought this was an interesting story to share.

Edited by Kenstar
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah so Morph and Darkspines35 got DC SA2 Trial version sonic working....sortof:
37666611.png
something.jpg

As you can see theres still bugs. but soon enough we should be able to get the alternate skins and non-soap shoes sonic working.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've just had one of the most insane glitches ever.

-Firstly, I did Cannon's Core 100 ring mission, and met the goal in Knuckles' segment. Job done, back to stage select.

-I then moved on to Final Rush's lost chao mission. It was fuck as fuck, but I did it. Back to stage select.

-Because I'd reached 150 emblems with that, I decided to cool off with Radical Highway, normal mode. Did that, went back to stage select.

-Went to Chao World, bought myself a Black Egg and a Shimy Lime Green Egg. I exit the place through the central plaza.

-Instead of sending me back to stage select, it sent me straight to Sonic's Cannon's Core segment. 

...WHAT. 

Edit: I just exited the stage via the menu, and it still thought I just left Chao World. Okay game, you...be mental. 

Edited by VEDJ-F
  • Thumbs Up 2

Trial Sonic version 1.0 released!

So, uh, here's this. With a really crappy video to boot!

Got my laptop fixed up today, so I'll be working on seeing what's up with those other characters.

And I'll drop the DL link here as well though it's also in the video description

Btw, don't repack the textures in the wrong location. or else...

uxSPb.jpg

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Adventure 2 is still selling well. The game was 6th in PSN charts for the month of December.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/01/09/december-2012-psn-top-sellers-journey-reclaims-the-top-spot/

10/1 EDIT: Also SA2 showing as 9th on XBLA for week ending 9/1/2013.

http://majornelson.com/2013/01/09/live-activity-for-week-of-december-31st/

Looks like SA2 has sold pretty damn well since October 2012. I wonder how it's doing on Steam?

Edited by Robin John Blake

• 3 weeks later...

I remember sucking at the game as a kid, some parts are still hard, many are a joke to me now. Ah.... Mad Space I still am not your fan.

• 3 weeks later...

SA2 HD was 3rd in the Eu PSN charts for January 2013. No doubt Christmas helped.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/02/06/playstation-store-pal-charts-january-2013/

Although not showing in the top 20 on the NA charts for Jan.

Showing as 13th on Xbla. http://majornelson.com/2013/02/13/live-activity-for-week-of-february-4th/

SA2 is hanging in there.

Edited by -Bender-

Eh, with the exception of hard mode (which involves you battling with the terrible gravity stuff), I never found Mad Space to be so difficult. It wasn't that bad to go through, but it was boring. In contrast, I liked Meteor Herd, I found it to be fun and somewhat difficult.

Edited by Burnt Ash

Naturally I'm not going to complain about my favorite title selling extremely well.

SA2HD was a genius marketing move it looks like, if Sonic can actually compete with such big players as Mass Effect and TWD and such. That's just impressive to me. Nostalgia really does sell well...

I've come to the conclusion that Sonic Adventure 2 is a shitty game. A shame, honestly. It used to be my favorite Sonic game. The gameplay isn't fun for the most part. The only levels I can say I truly had fun with are most of Sonic's levels, along with a few others like Radical Highway and Wild Canyon. The game kinda feels lifeless now. And those graphics could have easily been improved on. I mean, sure, it's 10 years old. But so is Luigi's Mansion, and it looks miles better than SA2.

• Thumbs Up 6

Sonic adventure 2 is sure not a game that can be called lifeless. It may be not so colorful as the first SA but it sure is not lifeless be it story-wise, graphic-wise, music-wise or whatever else-wise.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've come to the conclusion that Sonic Adventure 2 is a shitty game. A shame, honestly. It used to be my favorite Sonic game. The gameplay isn't fun for the most part. The only levels I can say I truly had fun with are most of Sonic's levels, along with a few others like Radical Highway and Wild Canyon. The game kinda feels lifeless now. And those graphics could have easily been improved on. I mean, sure, it's 10 years old. But so is Luigi's Mansion, and it looks miles better than SA2.

If you mean that the graphics could have 'easily' been improved for the re-release that we got last October? Well, overall a lot of things could have been improved, like not being able to hear some of the dialogue over the music, and some of the moves (like Sonic's bounce attack) could have been mapped to different buttons on the controller. Of course, SEGA don't seem to be keen on putting much effort into improving the quality/experience of Sonic games that they port/re-release (Sonic CD being the exception, and of course Whitehead did most of the work for that re-release). Despite the lack of effort, SA2 HD seems to have sold extremely well. So a lot of fans clearly still dig this game.

As for the game being lifeless, that's your opinion so fair enough. Personally I can't get enough of SA2 (that soundtrack, awwww yeah). The graphics in this game are pretty nice. Looks better than Sonic Heroes (IMO).

Edited by -Bender-

Okay, maybe Luigi's Mansion is a bad example, but whatever. I've seen Dreamcast games that look much better than SA2. I call it lifeless because a lot of the time, there isn't much fucking going on. A lot of the time you can see behind this facade of another world that the game tries to put on, and see it for what it really is - a game.

While that may sound odd, it makes a lot of sense. When you're playing a game, you don't wanna be yanked out of the experience by something that doesn't belong, right? Well, Sonic Adventure 2 is pretty great at yanking you out at the most inopportune times. Be it graphical glitches and oversights or just glaring flaws with the way the level is crafted. Adding to this is that all the character animations are very wooden. It's almost like I'm watching a puppet show. They aren't at all fluid, like they should be.

Edited by SSRGuest98
  • Thumbs Up 4

It's allright considering how old it is. I played the hell out of it when I first got it, seeing as it was the first Sonic game I had seen since Sonic 3D Blast/Flickies' Island. It's got a pretty badass soundtrack, the Sonic and Shadow levels are pretty fun (needed more Shadow - then maybe that awful spinoff game wouldn't have been necessary...) and while the story has more holes than a swiss cheese, it's kinda fun in a ridiculous way. (I love Mystery Science Theatre so some bad stories are still entertaining for me!)

Having said that, I think I prefer the first Sonic Adventure. It feels more.... "Sonicy" to me, and I like that the other characters' stories and levels are separated. SA2 I think was just too ambitious a leap; they wanted the massively epic story, the humongous final boss, the misunderstood antiheroes... wait, am I talking about the right game here?! XD

Edited by Doctor Mambotnik

the story has more holes than a swiss cheese, it's kinda fun in a ridiculous way. (I love Mystery Science Theatre so some bad stories are still entertaining for me!)

What were the big holes exactly? It was always straightforward to me but perhaps I didn't look closely enough.

To me the most obnoxious part was "Sonic is robbing us!" and the like; how can you possibly confuse Shadow for Sonic? Maybe if he's running all the time and is just a blur, but... he's seen at rest numerous times. The news lady even ZOOMS in on him!

• Thumbs Up 1

If I were going to eradicate anything in Sonic Adventure 2, I'd cut the Chao Gardens like I planned to cut entitlements.  Those places are black holes - too many of our resources going in and not enough coming out.

• Thumbs Up 7

While you could argue the character animation is because the game is old, then how come Sonic Adventure could manage much more fluid animation from the characters at times?

Sure, this led to some..awkward results, but there was no reason that in SA1 the characters whip around like their high on caffeine when they beat a stage, and then in SA2 they move slow as hell.