Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 2 Discussion, Speculation, Media Topic

Stritix

Well to be fair, the argument did kinda start when SA2's story popped into the "discussion", so it isn't THAT surprising that it ended up going down this path.

It only went down this path because people feel the need to bring completely unrelated games into the topic instead of actually talking about the game itself. I don't mind story discussion, but it seems every time it comes up it suddenly goes back to "Game A vs. Game B" when Game B had nothing to do with the conversion beforehand.

• Thumbs Up 2

So we're not allowed to bring up literally any other Sonic games in this topic? And were not allowed to see how SA2's aspects stack up in comparison to other games? Seriously?

• Thumbs Up 1

So we're not allowed to bring up literally any other Sonic games in this topic? And were not allowed to see how SA2's aspects stack up in comparison to other games? Seriously?

Diogenes vs ArtFenix's debate literally got to the point where SA2 was not even relevant to discussion anymore.  They were literally just arguing about Generations.

• Thumbs Up 4

Diogenes vs ArtFenix's debate literally got to the point where SA2 was not even relevant to discussion anymore.  They were literally just arguing about Generations.

Well okay, that's fair enough, because that is a bit much.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not if it derails the topic to the point of not even talking about the original point like JezMM pointed out. I don't have a problem with comparing SA2 to other games, I have a problem when it's done because the poster just felt like spiting another a game because someone had the audacity to criticize this one.

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge

What the fuck happened here......?

Oh geez. Sorry, my bad. I made a quip about the story a couple of pages back. Looks like it touched a few nerves, but my point was that despite it being a bit... weird... at times, I still liked it.

Edited by Doctor Mambotnik

Oh geez. Sorry, my bad. I made a quip about the story a couple of pages back. Looks like it touched a few nerves, but my point was that despite it being a bit... weird... at times, I still liked it.

Oh no I understand, I'm not the biggest fan of SA2 as many people can attest to.

Doesn't really deserve a random discussion about why Generations has a bad story (whut~)

I don't mind the story in this game too much, it's just that it tends to miss the mark on a lot things or have things go unexplained. That's the problem with games like SA2, they try so hard to be big and epic, they tend to leave out a lot details or have certain plot elements unexplained.

I still enjoy it because it has it's moments, but it's incredibly flawed and I don't think it's the "masterpiece" people think it is, or at least any more of a masterpiece than what came before or after anyway.

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge
  • Thumbs Up 2

ummm with the password thing, Eggman mentioned finding his grandfathers journal at somepoint, assumably he figured it out from that

But how do we know that if it wasn't explicitly stated?

This is the point I was trying to make; sometimes you just need to assume things rather than requesting the story tell you every detail.

So... about that Sonic Adventure 2. I don't know about you guys, but I for one think that's a far more interesting topic to discuss than whining about Modern Sonic games that I don't like.

Seriously, what was the point of King Boom Boo and the fight with it? It seemed more like a Big-Lipped Alligator Moment to me.

When there's a bunch of small enemies, it's not uncommon for there to be some big one that rules over them. Knuckles gets harassed by tons of ghosts throughout his stages, so it's natural he ends up duking it out with their King.

If you can make an assumption about a "plothole" that easily explains it without clashing with anything else, it probably isn't a plothole.  If something happens that is LITERALLY inexplicable, then you've got a plothole.

"That Eggman sure likes mechanical things doesn't he?  I bet he has one or two spaceships lying around here".  Sonic thought correctly.

Also, Shadow dying is also explained by script in the game.  Hang around long enough during the final boss and Sonic eventually starts telling Shadow to head back to the ARK because he doesn't seem to be able to maintain his super form (it being Shadsie's first time and all). 

Either way point is, since you INSIST on it, both those examples were explained in the script so poo to you sir.  Poo to you.

I really need to up my game. SA2's my favorite and even I forgot these small details... thanks for the clarifications, though!

I like your logic: if it can be explained with an assumption that doesn't clash massively, it isn't really worth being called a plothole. A radical power change or personality shift, on the other hand, definitely will need explanation.

Here's another one. Sonic characters eat. Do they have to use the facilities as well? Logic says yes, we don't need to see it to know this. :P As one learns in English class, one element of writing is that not everything should be explained.

• 2 weeks later...

So...I know I'm late to this, but I heard this game is like a mixture of the original and GCN versions? If so, I was hoping it would be a straight up DC port since I never played that one. =[ Damn, another lame port like SA1...

Speaking of SA1, am I the ONLY one here who thinks that game is more dated than SA2? The cutscenes look lame (mind you, the ones in its sequel aren't too great but still passable) the humans look weird and really pale for some reason, some of the sound effects are inappropriate like when Eggman makes squishy sounds in the Egg Hornet and the boss battles are WAY too easy (except for maybe Egg Viper). Who can forget...

Knuckles: Oh no...oh no...oh no... *over in 10 seconds*

I think the character battles in SA2 blow the ones in SA1 out of the water! Again, the sequel has its flaws but don't tell me the other one is a beautiful and unique snowflake!

Edited by Gabz Girl

We saw this awhile ago in screenshot form on retro but someone finally got video of it.

Btw, is it me or does shadow sound different?

I've got a duplicate Steam code for this game if anybody wants it, just send me a PM and i'll send it you. smile.png

EDIT: Gone to Mykonas!

Edited by Elseb

We saw this awhile ago in screenshot form on retro but someone finally got video of it.

Shadow's gone TotalBiscuit!

...(a free like to the person who tells me the reference.)

A couple of Shadow's lines at the end of the game were done by Ryan Drummond for some reason. This game is a mess...

I just thought of something recently. In the stage Final Rush, there was a bit near the end where the area was all red and the road was breaking apart. Anyone know what it was/what was going on? Or is it just a random thing put in to make the level more interesting?

A couple of Shadow's lines at the end of the game were done by Ryan Drummond for some reason. This game is a mess...

Wait wait what. I never heard this before. Where was it?

I know when casting for Shadow, they wanted someone who sounded like Ryan Drummond. Cue Drummond vouching for one of his closest friends and co-performers.

==

I got SA2HD for PS3 a few days ago. Been playing it steadily. Good God Aquatic Mine makes me shiver even after all these years. It's like a miniature Water Temple. I now remember why I rarely play the Emerald hunting stages.

I also found all three emerald shards in Wild Canyon in less than 2 minutes with no hints. I have no life.

I keep quitting after every boss/stage so I can listen to every one of the intermissions. I'm that deprived.

I always liked how the game had to be played twice so you could hear both story trailers. Finish Dark, you get the Hero trailer, but if you finish Hero it'll skip to the Last Story trailer instead. So you need to play twice to get all three.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

I've always found SA2 to be that middle of the road kind of game. It's not great but not bad (ok by today's standards it is). What I liked about it was putting the player in the role of Dr. Robotnik. It was like a behind the scenes of an evil genius moment. It was a step up from Sonic Adventure whereas you had all these different forms of gameplay, they limited it to just three. However, one had to be about treasure hunting. It was improved from SA1 but at the same time is this really the best they could do with a character like Knuckles, maybe have his gameplay be beat'em up styled. The shooting missions were a bit of a hit and miss, the earlier missions which were quick and to the point were fun, the later missions dragged on way too long, it would help if the levels offered  a variety of things to do but they were simply blow this thing up, press this switch, go through the door, blow up more shit, press the "hidden" switch, go through door, beat level. 

As for the story, to me it's nothing special. I personally thought it was a little too over the top. They probably could have gotten the same message across without all the over dramatized crap like "OMG MARIA, I PROMISE U REVENGE HUE HUE HUE", meh, I just can't take it serious when its coming from the mouth of a cartoon hedgehog. 

I know I'm skipping around but this really annoyed me, if Shadow is one of the most important characters in SA2's storyline why does he only have like 4 levels, its fucking stupid. I wish SA2 had more speed levels, but that's just me. Then again, I liked SA2, I havne't played it in over 2 years but I think that the nostalgia factor will always be there.

is this really the best they could do with a character like Knuckles

He didn't claim that this was the best thing they could do with Knuckles. Edited by Burnt Ash

Ooh, sorry, I read that wrong the first time. I apologize. ^^ For some reason I read it as "this is really the best" and now I feel stupid. XD

Edited by XD375
  • Thumbs Up 1

Rooster Teeth did stuff SA2 related, check it out:

All stuff we know about anyway, but that's kinda a given for Sonic fans.

The nostalgia in the comments is pretty crazy though, it's all "best game ever made" or like "I remember the good old days" or "I stopped playing Sonic games when they removed the Chao Garden" jesus christ.

I just really don't get why, other than people being nostalgic at the first Sonic game being this, people say that this is one of the best games in the series.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 4

"I stopped playing Sonic games when they removed the Chao Garden" jesus christ.

So the Adventure games is the only Sonic games that person had played? dry.png  Or they only play Sonic games for the chao gardens and thats the only thing they care about either one.

Edited by sonfan1984

I just really don't get why, other than people being nostalgic at the first Sonic game being this, people say that this is one of the best games in the series.

Well, let's see... The presentation was cool/interesting when it came out (Hero Story/Dark Story, play as the Antagonist instead of just Sonic and mess his day up), the music's awesome, the Speed Sections are fun as hell and for people like me who love speed runable games, the levels are some of my favorite in the series. The Emerald Hunting/Mech Shooting/Raising Chao were completely YMMV. If they bothered you, then SA2's probably gonna be a drag. If they didn't, then you'd might still enjoy the game like a lot of others did.

I don't know man, I'm getting tired of defending this game... It all comes down to either you love or hate it. I loved it, and I'd love to see a return of the speed section gameplay from this game.

and no, do

not point me in the direction of Sonic 2006 or Unleashed/Generations. 2006 was terrible and we've already been over the boost argument.

Now don't get me wrong though, the nostalgia blindness and refusal to play anything else in the series is bloody retarded. Sonic Heroes, Unleashed and I'm sure Colors/Generations (Haven't played Colors/Gen yet) are all great games and are totally worth playing as well. And that's not counting the 2D games like Sonic 3 and Knuckles either, but I'm assuming they stopped AFTER SA2 so they already played the 2D games...

Yeah yeah yeah, Sonic 3 & Knuckles is better, now we're just entering preference territory. Honestly, there's probably no "best" Sonic game because everybody's gonna have a game they like more instead. I like SA2 more but I still acknowledge that both are great games.

Now let me guess, somebody's gonna snark and make some comment saying SA2 was never good in the first place. *sigh*

• Thumbs Up 1