Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 2 Discussion, Speculation, Media Topic

Stritix

Personally I just thought SA1 was a better game with better level design and more of a focus on level gimmicks.

Sonic's stages in SA2 I still find to be fun though, and the controls are better than SA1 at the very least.

However, I do consider the presentation in SA2 to be quite sloppy. Firstly you've got the horrendous sound synch issues, then you've got random Japanese voice clips (mainly for Eggman) sprinkled in with the English ones (see "YUSH" when he finishes a level), and then the clipping (I guess this one's an age thing).

I don't personally hold the game in high regard but I was mostly just lampooning the people who actually would reply like that (thus why I added a gif to lighten up the post), but I probably should have made it more clear. In retrospect the entire post was probably uncalled for... Sorry to those it offended. ^^

Edited by XD375
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

If this new Port brought something new to the table like extra unlockables or some new missions to do then I would of bought it, But it's a port, Thats it. Apart from widescreen support (and not even in some of the CG Movies), some life icon changes and higher quality models in 2player it's the exact same as SA2 Battle.

I absolutely love SA2 but I already have the original Dreamcast version and the Gamecube version so I don't see in any point in spending my money on it.

I absolutely love SA2 but I already have the original Dreamcast version and the Gamecube version so I don't see in any point in spending my money on it.

Really there is no point other than to show your support for the cause, or so you have a backup in case the other versions fail. Since it's a digital title it also makes it more easily replaceable should the actual discs get damaged. So there are some benefits to it, however small; if nothing else SEGA cheaply made a pretty penny off the port, and that ultimately is good for all of us.

Really there is no point other than to show your support for the cause, or so you have a backup in case the other versions fail. Since it's a digital title it also makes it more easily replaceable should the actual discs get damaged. So there are some benefits to it, however small; if nothing else SEGA cheaply made a pretty penny off the port, and that ultimately is good for all of us.

I've backed up both versions on my pc as image files and can play them either using NullDC and Dolphin.. Both have 720p widescreen features that create close to the same result as the new port smile.png

Edited by StereoPix3l

Sonic Adventure 2 is probably my second favorite Sonic Game of all time. Like all Sonic Games, this particular one has it's ups and downs.

Things I LOVED:

- Sonic's Somersault move [Makes jumping 20% Cooler!]

- Bounce Bracelet [Must I say More?]

- Soundtrack, Live & Learn being one of my favorite Sonic Songs of all time.

- VAs were amazing.

- Probably my favorite Story in all Sonic History.

- Some of my favorite levels [City Escape, Metal Harbor, Pyramid Cave]

Things I didn't like at all:

- Tails' in the Robot [Let's think about this, guys. I know some didn't mind this, but I feel it would have been way better to have Tails as he was in Sonic Adventure 1, I think it would have been much better for the robot design to be just for Eggman. Hopefully, some will agree.]

- Knuckles/Rouge's Levels [Probably the only thing I liked about the levels is that you were hunting for the Master Emerald pieces. I did NOT like the little televisions with those dumb riddles on them. It was 10x more frustrating with Rouge on Mad Space]

- Mad Space in general [i disliked this level so much, it gets it's own point. I thought it was really frustrating trying to move from those little planets by having to find a spring. The gravity threw me off so much and the television messages being backwards and some being false didn't make me love the level any more. It would take me at least 9 minutes to beat this level, first time I played it, it took me 15.]

Really, there weren't many things I disliked about the game, but I felt I had to mention these 3 things. 

Another thing, does anyone consider "Cannon's Core" to be a hard mission? I always feared having to go back and replay the level. But, I found out that if you have the little breathing tube that Knuckles gets from Aquatic Mine, it makes things (literally) 90% easier. So, yesterday I was beating the mission again, and I beat it on my first try without dying. I'm very proud of that. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I've backed up both versions on my pc as image files and can play them either using NullDC and Dolphin.. Both have 720p widescreen features that create close to the same result as the new port smile.png

Great good to know that your a pirate that rather run bloated emulators then a PC port.

Great good to know that your a pirate that rather run bloated emulators then a PC port.

He said backed up, he presumably bought the original discs so he isn't a pirate.

He said backed up, he presumably bought the original discs so he isn't a pirate.

Its unsure what backed up means in his sense. backed up could go either way.

Its unsure what backed up means in his sense. backed up could go either way.

But if he pirated it he would already have the image files, therefore making image file backups would be redundant. tongue.png I honestly try to like this game but even the Sonic and Shadow levels feel too linear and use the same set pieces. It's ok but I don't play it for very long at each sitting.

Edited by Bubbles

But if he pirated it he would already have the image files, therefore making image file backups would be redundant. tongue.png

He never said he made them just that he had them backed up. like I said, "backed up" could be used either way.

He never said he made them just that he had them backed up. like I said, "backed up" could be used either way.

I guess, but I find it hard to believe that anyone on here has never pirated a game before haha. I may be wrong but it seemed like you thought him having the game backed up was a bad thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I have the original discs, I've had my SA1 and SA2 Dreamcast CD's since a young kid and the gamecube version I picked up a couple of years ago..
I just chose to back them up and emulate them so I'd always have the original discs tucked away in there boxes, The dreamcast games mean a lot to me since I've had them a long time and I'd prefer them to be safe and only needed if I lose the backup on my PC, Then I can back them up again.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

SA2 is showing as 10th on Xbla charts for the week of 1 April 2013.  Since it's re-release back in October 2012 it has never dropped outside the top 20.

http://majornelson.com/2013/04/06/live-activity-for-week-of-april-1st/

US PSN charts for March 2013 show SA2 as 16th. Not able to see it's position on EU PSN. I know it's not in the top 10.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/04/08/north-american-psn-charts-for-march-2013-atelier-totori-1-on-vita-survival-instinct-beats-tomb-raider-and-bioshock/

This game has been selling incredibly well for last six months. That's so impressive. Surely more ports of the 3d games are on the way with sales like these.

I know fans are mostly joking when they say they want Sonic Adventure 3, but I can't blame them for saying that when the adventure series is still so popular and selling well. 

Edited by -Bender-

Well, I love the PC port because with a couple of programs, you can edit textures. It's great snagging textures from one game to put them in this game, sometimes they look nice or create a very nice looking new area type or concept such as seaside hill in the forest or simply taking higher res textures from one game to make it look nicer.

That and original shoes sonic.

I hope SEGA isn't riding on the hopes that the remaining 6th gen 3D Sonic games will sell as well as SA2.  I remember when the game came out for Dreamcast it was critically acclaimed and all, but that game was HUGE on Gamecube from my recollection.  Heroes and especially Shadow won't do nearly as well.  Heroes at least might be worth it to make a little bit of profit perhaps, but certainly not the abortion that was Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope SEGA isn't riding on the hopes that the remaining 6th gen 3D Sonic games will sell as well as SA2.  I remember when the game came out for Dreamcast it was critically acclaimed and all, but that game was HUGE on Gamecube from my recollection.  Heroes and especially Shadow won't do nearly as well.  Heroes at least might be worth it to make a little bit of profit perhaps, but certainly not the abortion that was Shadow.

How many people actually liked ShTH? The entire game is extremely bland and uninspired. If SEGA rereleases ShTH, they will probably lose money from it even if its just a port considering how bad it is.

$1000 porting the game to next gen consoles and making everything HD with higher quality textures and models.

Only $300 were made from it.

Edited by Dom
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I really hate to bring this topic back from the dead for a question like this, but;

Does anyone know of a Mod yet that allows to always play as Sonic? 

I've recently DL'd the Steam Version with the Super Sonic mod and having him for every stage(boss battles in my case) would be pretty rad. 

I only know of one where you can switch characters from the same type (sonic, shadow,Amy and metal for speed levels).

Not sure if you could do it for all levels as there is gimmicks specific to each set if characters.

Please tell me I'm not going crazy, but the controls using a 360 controller, at least on the PC version, feel really off. Please don't try to tell me that it's the nostalgia specs wearing off and it's always controlled this badly, because I played a few multiplayer games with a friend probably no less than a year ago on the GC version and had no issues at all. Maybe it's my lack of familiarity with the 360 controller, or perhaps something was lost in the transition.

Also, you'd be surprised how far SA2's legacy stretches. I recall overhearing my cousin, who I do not speak to often these days, mentioning to someone about this game, especially the Chao, probably no less than a year ago. The impact this game seemed to have at the time was incredible. It's a bit of an enigma in that, while it was never a perfect game, it seemed to touch so many people in and out of the fandom somehow.

Also, I like Shadow's game, but I believe that both it and Heroes are very average and neither would be worth giving updates like SA2, mostly due to the reasons I stated above. Neither had anywhere near the same impact nor are they as cherished as SA2.

• Thumbs Up 1

How many people actually liked ShTH? The entire game is extremely bland and uninspired. If SEGA rereleases ShTH, they will probably lose money from it even if its just a port considering how bad it is.

$1000 porting the game to next gen consoles and making everything HD with higher quality textures and models.

Only $300 were made from it.

...er, well, I did... I actually really enjoyed Shadow the Hedgehog. I hate the idea of Shadow using guns and vehicles, but honestly I didn't think the game was really that bad. It did eventually get boring after a while, but I still played the game to death for months after I got it believe it or not.

Although I will admit the graphics really aren't that great and some of the missions were annoying, primarily due to the fact that you literally have to kill every single enemy in the levels to complete those types of missions.

I'll admit its very flawed, I won't deny that, but I still liked it quite a bit.

I still think Sonic Adventure 2 was better, though. As for the latest re-release, its just for people who haven't had a chance to play it or for people who lost their old disc but would still like to play the game. If you've already got the game of course there's no point in getting it.

Finally beat SA2HD on my PS3.

Biolizard is a massive raging pain in the ass as always. Good to see nothing's changed.

I still find it humorous the Biolizard is more difficult than the Final Hazard... but I suppose it makes sense given the latter has an awesome track to whoop his ass to.

Even if it's Death of Superman-esque now, the final cutscene still hits me in the feels.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

Please tell me I'm not going crazy, but the controls using a 360 controller, at least on the PC version, feel really off. Please don't try to tell me that it's the nostalgia specs wearing off and it's always controlled this badly, because I played a few multiplayer games with a friend probably no less than a year ago on the GC version and had no issues at all. Maybe it's my lack of familiarity with the 360 controller, or perhaps something was lost in the transition.

No you're not crazy, I tried the game's demo on Xbox 360. Both me and my friend agreed that the controls feel very off. The game wasn't optimized to be played on an Xbox 360 controller so movement feels awkward and imprecise. I have this exact same problem with the Perfect Dark XBLA port too.

• 1 month later...

I apologize for the late response, but I have just purchased the game on Xbox Live and I have noticed this as well. It seems as though the analog sensitivity is set far too high. I hooked up my Dreamcast to see if this was the case, and it seems so. Push the analog stick a little and you'll start running in the Xbox version, whereas in the Dreamcast version of the game you would start walking instead. I spent a bit of time with the PS3 version at release, and I don't recall it having this issue.

I'll most likely leave my Dreamcast hooked up for a while. The controller and sound issues with the Xbox version put me off from playing it.