Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 2 Discussion, Speculation, Media Topic

Stritix

Sonic Adventure 2 HD --[Merge]--> Sonic Adventure 2 Discussion, Speculation, Media Topic

[media=]

It's probably coming out. Said to have online leaderboards, offline multiplayer (Which we already have) and some other stuff.

I personally didn't like the game that much. No adventure fields? What a load of bullshit.

Edited by ^DiZnEy^

Eh, I always thought the SOAP Shoes looked rather meh. Give me Sonic's regular hi-tops any day...

• Thumbs Up 2

If we get any substancial changes to the posters and such in this port, I hope we get these:

tumblr_lyvy15vYrQ1qlmjqgo1_500.png

It would be cool if they did it to keep it consistent with Sonic Generations' City Escape.

And also...

0.jpg

More likelier not to happen but the bottomless pit signs seen throughout Sonic Generations and Sonic 4: Episode 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

0.jpg

More likelier not to happen but the bottomless pit signs seen throughout Sonic Generations and Sonic 4: Episode 2.

I dunno. They'd be kind of everywhere. On the ARK stages you may as well just have one in the corner of the screen on the HUD the entire way through.

Oh, better idea! Have a blue icon of Sonic running along, and put it everywhere there ISN'T a pit. That'd be less time-consuming for the developers.

I should have really saved these cynical jokes for the eventual Heroes rerelease, I love SA2 lol...

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 4

Oh, better idea! Have a blue icon of Sonic running along, and put it everywhere there ISN'T a pit. That'd be less time-consuming for the developers.

Good thing this isn't Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 2

[media=]

Dear Jesus, is this guy unfunny. As for the signs...eh... it would take effort tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't want those dumb signs in any more games. They were pointless enough in Generations and Episode 2. You have eyes for a reason.

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't want those dumb signs in any more games. They were pointless enough in Generations and Episode 2. You have eyes for a reason.

Sadly people outside the fanbase, reviewers who seemed to never have played a platformer in their life, and casuals will think different. If they are a hindrance turn them off.

I'm actually quite found of the soap shoe design, but I liked the heel top design from Sonic Adventure 2 a tad more. I honestly don't really see the fuss lately about sonic characters with more detailed apparel. Mario did it rather well in brawl.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't see the point in bottomless pits, when all they do is discourage exploration. When the levels have multiple paths and layers, like they often do in the 2D games, it's sometimes fun to jump off a path and descend to another path, with bottomless pits around it kind of makes you feel cautious and worried about jumping down. While those signs are kind of jarring and annoying to look at, it's nice to have something telling you "don't go down there" when you really don't know what's down there.

It's like this one secret area in Super Paper Mario, that's accessible by jumping down what's seemingly a bottomless pit (I think you can tell it's not when you switch to 3D but I didn't do that). After getting the goodies down there, I tried jumping down other pits thinking that I might find more somewhere else. I was wrong. Horribly wrong. There might be more, I dunno, but after the 20th or so bottomless pit I jumped down I didn't feel like it was a good idea to explore anymore.

That's how I feel anyways.

Edited by Pinkamena
  • Thumbs Up 2

This. So much this! Sonic games are already too easy for their own good.
  • Thumbs Up 4

I don't want those dumb signs in any more games. They were pointless enough in Generations and Episode 2.

Considering the casual folk who would like to play these games, I would be a jerk to say that they were pointless. 'Sides, at least in Generations' case, if they're really that much of an eyesore to you, you can always disable them in the Options menu, like in Colors.

• Thumbs Up 7

Actually they help you know if they're bottomless pits or not without taking a chance and losing a life just because you're curious.

Mega man X6 had alot of these and you were constantly dieing because you weren't too sure if you're supposed to go down there.

• Thumbs Up 2

...its a fucking port, they aren't adding anything new to it, just making it widescreen supported and HD.

the only unlikely thing they could add would be the DLC exclusive to the Dreamcast with its connectibility to the web at its time.

thats basically shit for your chao and seasoned costumes for the characters in multiplayer.

expecting SEGA to add the feature of Team Hero/Team Dark to play in each other's levels is stupid, also adding pitfall signs over lolbottomless drops isn't going to happen, this isn't Generations.

its called a port for a reason, they're simply moving it from Dreamcast/Gamecube to Xbox Arcade/ Playstation Network, you know? PORTING it

• Thumbs Up 6

The whole point of the signs is to let you know when it's safe to jump into a pit in Colors and Generations, and they serve their purpose well in those games. I like them.

In Adventure 2 though? Every pit is a bottomless pit. The level design's extremely basic all the way through, so I don't see the point.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'd rather have the bottomless pit sign than "BE CAREFUL NOT TO FALL OFF OH SHIT I FELL OFF BECAUSE OF THE TERRIBLE CAMERA ANGLE" like in say 06. It's a bit redundant in SA2 and like Heroes though yeah, as they're choked with them anyway. I don't mind them because sometimes you have to take a leap of faith, but if there's no indication that you can or can't, it's just cheap and fake difficulty all round.

Sonic 4 Episode 2 plastered them everywhere where there was a pit though, a few less might have helped.

Anyway nice that it's being ported but I already have the Gamecube version, so, like with SA1, I'll pass.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 3

Fortunately SEGA won't listen to you because those "dumb signs" keep us from getting a bad review in some cases just because a reviewer decided to be a dumbass and fall into a pit then call it "the worst sonic game ever made". don't like them then turn it off, its 5 seconds worth of effort.

Are they new life icons in the leaked screenshots? I don't remember them looking like that?

screenlg1.jpg

crate_sonic2.jpg

For comparisons sake.

And you should know being a TSS Staff that hotlinking TSSZ is a no-go. ~C'mon step it up!~

So long as the Gamecube exclusive glitches are fixed, I'm having a hard time understanding that too.

It may be possible since this is only the 2nd port of SA2 and not the 5th like SADX. I think after the 3rd time SEGA stops giving a shit about how many bugs a port has.

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't see the point in bottomless pits, when all they do is discourage exploration. When the levels have multiple paths and layers, like they often do in the 2D games, it's sometimes fun to jump off a path and descend to another path, with bottomless pits around it kind of makes you feel cautious and worried about jumping down. While those signs are kind of jarring and annoying to look at, it's nice to have something telling you "don't go down there" when you really don't know what's down there.

This is more of a problem with lack of clarity and bad level design than it is with bottomless pits, in my opinion. They don't discourage exploration unless they aren't obvious.

That and without some kind of instant-death trap, the games would be even easier. Enemies in modern Sonic games are relatively harmless because they've got such a hard time hitting you, and you can just pick up rings when you're hit. But hey, I'm someone that's never actually had a gripe with bottomless pits- or rather, the idea of bottomless pits. They weren't in the classics often, but those games had CRUSHERS which could be just as, if not MORE annoying.

tltr: I don't think there's anything wrong with bottomless pits, especially if the other hazzards are so forgiving.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is more of a problem with lack of clarity and bad level design than it is with bottomless pits, in my opinion. They don't discourage exploration unless they aren't obvious.

That and without some kind of instant-death trap, the games would be even easier. Enemies in modern Sonic games are relatively harmless because they've got such a hard time hitting you, and you can just pick up rings when you're hit. But hey, I'm someone that's never actually had a gripe with bottomless pits- or rather, the idea of bottomless pits. They weren't in the classics often, but those games had CRUSHERS which could be just as, if not MORE annoying.

tltr: I don't think there's anything wrong with bottomless pits, especially if the other hazzards are so forgiving.

Though I far prefer the way level design was handled in the classics, I don't really have any problems with their existence. I just appreciate the use of larger, multi-tiered levels that encourage exploration more than the use of a single beaten path that you get punished for venturing off of.

To keep things on topic, I'd say Adventure 2 fails in that regard. I find the level design to be more similar to Unleashed than anything else, due to the focus on speed both games had. Adventure 2's platforming was basic whenever it appeared, and never actually became prevalent in the level design anyway. Thanks to the point system (including those little "RADICAL" text indicators that popped up whenever you did something flashy) and dozens of dash pads, there was a lot more emphasis on running through the level as smoothly as possible, while collecting as many points as you could along the way; exploration was never really encouraged all that much with the exception of the power ups, which didn't really do much and weren't very hard to find anyway. This is perfectly fun on its own, but I can't help but find it hypocritical when people bash the level design in Unleashed and turn around to say Adventure 2 set a good standard; it just doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by BakaGaij Weaboo
  • Thumbs Up 6

Actually they help you know if they're bottomless pits or not without taking a chance and losing a life just because you're curious.

Mega man X6 had alot of these and you were constantly dieing because you weren't too sure if you're supposed to go down there.

Also, if you fall down a pit in Ep2 you can use Tails or your partner to save you. Talk about cheating death. That's why I like Sonic CD, there is only pit in the entire game. BAN THE PITS!

Though I far prefer the way level design was handled in the classics, I don't really have any problems with their existence. I just appreciate the use of larger, multi-tiered levels that encourage exploration more than the use of a single beaten path that you get punished for venturing off of.

To keep things on topic, I'd say Adventure 2 fails in that regard. I find the level design to be more similar to Unleashed than anything else, due to the focus on speed both games had. Adventure 2's platforming was basic whenever it appeared, and never actually became prevalent in the level design anyway. Thanks to the point system (including those little "RADICAL" text indicators that popped up whenever you did something flashy) and dozens of dash pads, there was a lot more emphasis on running through the level as smoothly as possible, while collecting as many points as you could along the way; exploration was never really encouraged all that much with the exception of the power ups, which didn't really do much and weren't very hard to find anyway. This is perfectly fun on its own, but I can't help but find it hypocritical when people bash the level design in Unleashed and turn around to say Adventure 2 set a good standard; it just doesn't make sense to me.

You're asking people drenched in a nostalgic marinade from the juices of the Sonic Adventure series to make sense regarding standards for Sonic Unleashed?

Edited by Enigmatus
  • Thumbs Up 2

Also, if you fall down a pit in Ep2 you can use Tails or your partner to save you. Talk about cheating death. That's why I like Sonic CD, there is only pit in the entire game. BAN THE PITS!

Yup lets make the games EVEN MORE EASIER by removing the bottomless pits all together, sheessh.

Yup lets make the games EVEN MORE EASIER by removing the bottomless pits all together, sheessh.

Yeah remove the pits and add genuine challenge and difficulty in things like the enemies and stage hazards (i.e. not pits).

• Thumbs Up 5