Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 2 Discussion, Speculation, Media Topic

Stritix

Yup lets make the games EVEN MORE EASIER by removing the bottomless pits all together, sheessh.

If bottomless pits are honestly the only way Sonic Team/Dimps know how to add difficulty, then they're fucking morons.

• Thumbs Up 8

Yup lets make the games EVEN MORE EASIER by removing the bottomless pits all together, sheessh.

I'll take creative level design and encouragement of exploration over a slight increase in difficulty any day.

• Thumbs Up 8

It does kinda irk me how modern Sonic enemies can be taken out with the homing attack, it defeats all challenge with enemies.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not problem with bottomless pit for me, just don't put them in fucking retarded places like on a random straight path out of nowhere, Adabat comes to mind. Level paths like this grind my gears

I=path

O=pit

_=spike log

I I I

I __

0 I I

00I

I I _

I 0 I

I I 0

You get the idea, it's fucking annoying. I mean I know had to memorize levels in the classics as well but they weren't that cheap even with pits and crashers. The problem is that back then most enemies posed a threat because some had defenses that required you to hit them in orher places, in modern games all you really have to do is LOLBOOOOSH right over them, and are almost zero threat making most of the game's difficulty from cheap spammed pits. Generations handled this a bit better, but still.

Edited by Prince Solaris
  • Thumbs Up 1

Having signs that tell you where bottomless pits are destroys the entire purpose of them even being there.

That was another thing that annoyed the hell out of me with Generations. Why should I have to turn off what shouldn't be there to begin with?

And did someone really just say they do it for the reviewers? Really? Sonic will have a bad rep with reviewers regardless of whether they hold their hand or not.

• Thumbs Up 2

It does kinda irk me how modern Sonic enemies can be taken out with the homing attack, it defeats all challenge with enemies.

Doesn't have to be that way. Shields, both blocking, bouncing, or damaging can all mess up a homing attack. And even the weaker enemies who don't protect themselves can add to fun and navigation by having all enemies have you keep momentum and bounce off them like balloons do (each enemy could have different velocities/heights etc for the bounce too).

Having signs that tell you where bottomless pits are destroys the entire purpose of them even being there.

The threat of falling into the pit is still there whether the sign is there or not, so no.

• Thumbs Up 1

The threat of falling into the pit is still there whether the sign is there or not, so no.

You'd have to be pretty goddamn stupid to fall into a pit that's labelled, so yes.

EDIT:

But I do think it's probably difficult to make Sonic games challenging without having things that kill you instantly, and at the same time sticking to staples in the series. Right now bottomless pits are the ONLY thing that ever present a challenge.

This too. Bottomless pits are basically the only challenge that 3D Sonic games have.

Edited by Solkia-kun
  • Thumbs Up 1

If bottomless pits are honestly the only way Sonic Team/Dimps know how to add difficulty, then they're fucking morons.

Pretty much.

But I do think it's probably difficult to make Sonic games challenging without having things that kill you instantly, and at the same time sticking to staples in the series. Right now bottomless pits are the ONLY thing that ever present a challenge.

Thinking about it, you play as a character who's very fast, has an easy time avoiding enemy fire, and can survive just about anything as long as he has a ring- and rings are EVERYWHERE. I'm not saying the solution to making Sonic a challenging game is to have instant death traps, but the games would need to be a lot different in order to make the other hazzards an actual challenge.

You'd have to be pretty goddamn stupid to fall into a pit that's labelled, so yes.

Failing a jump and falling down a bottomless pit, and failing a jump and falling down a bottomless pit that's labelled has the exact same results. Its purpose isn't destroyed at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Failing a jump and falling down a bottomless pit, and failing a jump and falling down a bottomless pit that's labelled has the exact same results. Its purpose isn't destroyed at all.

If it's a pit that is easily visible, then it doesn't destroy the purpose, it just becomes pointless.

00000000000.jpg

I mean, really?

But in regards to Adventure 2, pretty much every bottomless pit can be seen, so there's even less of a point.

Do we even know for sure that the signs will be in the port?

Edited by Solkia-kun
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's to bad SEGA wont put in an option to change the volume of the music, id likie to be able to hear what there saying in the cutscenes.

Edited by Eternlo

If it's a pit that is easily visible, then it doesn't destroy the purpose, it just becomes pointless.

00000000000.jpg

I mean, really?

I was just thinking about possible alternatives to the bottomless pit warning sign, and the black abyss above definitely could work for a 3D environment where the abyss is clearly visible. I'm not sure if that would work quite as well for a 2D environment tho'.

Edited by Pinkamena

Do we even know for sure that the signs will be in the port?

Lol, all this conversation simply stemmed from someone's suggesting them as an idea for things they could add to the game.

I like the signs, they are good for clearing a level for the first time without dying, and also to refresh my memory if I haven't played the level in a long time.

That said, I believe if the game with said signs, whether it's this one or any before it and after, has a hard version of the same level, like SA2 did as well as '06, then signs should be disabled by default. Aside from the level being harder from enemies, the lack of signs helps with the difficulty for someone who feels confident to clear levels in normal mode enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

just gonna drop this again..

its a Port... they aren't adding anything major to it, especially giant orange floating signs over bottomless pits

• Thumbs Up 1

just gonna drop this again..

its a Port... they aren't adding anything major to it, especially giant orange floating signs over bottomless pits

Who the hell cares it's a port?

Wasn't the re-release of Sonic CD considered a port? And look how great that one was. I don't think they should drop the ball especially considering a game like this one.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wasn't the re-release of Sonic CD considered a port? And look how great that one was. I don't think they should drop the ball especially considering a game like this one.

you're missing the point, why the fuck would they add bottomless sign pits in a Dreamcast title?

you all want too much out of something as simple as a port, as usual.

In regards to the warning signs:

I'm sure at least some of us are Megaman fans, right? You know how in a lot of Megaman games, there are are a lot of hidden goodies that you can only find by jumping into some big chasm that looks exactly the same as all the ones that instantly kill you? Yeah, those can fuck right off, thanks. I'd much rather come across a pit and think "Hm. This one doesn't have a warning sign. I wonder what's in here" than debate whether or not I should risk losing a life for something that's probably going to instantly kill me.

So yeah. I like 'em.

• Thumbs Up 5

Oh GAWSH so this is going to be the new argument? People are going to keep pointing to Sonic CD? Be reminded that (and I might be wrong) Sega pretty much did NO work in that port, they spent no real resources remaking that game. While it would be nice to have every port like Sonic CD, it's a PORT, not a REMAKE, not a REDUX, not a REMASTERING, a port. Portportportportportportport. Anything extra would be NICE but it for darn sure ain't required. Sega is actually involved in this port, they're putting forth resources now and those resources are limited, unlike one person with years of free time on his hands. Again, I could be wrong, but if I'm right then hear me out.

Christian Whitehead did pretty much most of the work on that. It was even on YT as a demo years before. inb4 lol fans r bettr then sega

Christian Whitehead did pretty much most of the work on that. It was even on YT as a demo years before. inb4 lol fans r bettr then sega

In some ways they are.

EDIT: In my opinion of course.

Edited by Dr.SuperJXJ