Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 2 Discussion, Speculation, Media Topic

Stritix

The missions are fuck.

The minigames are fuck

Green Hill is a lackluster reward

The only good things are multiplayer and Sonic/Shadow stages. Chao Garden if you enjoyed it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't Sonic Heroes get pretty good reviews from critics? And look how much that one is hated by fans (including me)!

Dude seriously, shut the hell up.

Calm down, sheesh. 8[

Besides, I like Knuckles and Rouge's stages too, but mostly Knux. They're just more fun to play and Meteor Herd beats Mad Space by a landslide!

Edited by Gabz Girl
  • Thumbs Up 3

Didn't Sonic Heroes get pretty good reviews from critics? And look how much that one is hated by fans (including me)!

I still liked it. :\

• Thumbs Up 7

Sonic Adventure 2 is claimed to be the best 3D title by a lot of fans also. Not just because of the critics. The only reason Sonic Adventure 2 Battle got a lower score was because they didn't change much, and didn't fix any of the problems the original had.

Reviewers aren't any more harsh today as they were a decade ago. Sonic games today get received badly because they're shit, not because the reviewers have gotten 'harsh' (Which they haven't.) Sonic Heroes got 7/10's and Shadow got 5-6/10's by most reviewers back then.

Edited by -L-
  • Thumbs Up 1

Adventure 2 Battle barely made it into the 7s most of the time, Adventure DX didn't even manage 6s when it first came out, and the PS360 port couldn't even manage 5s last I checked.

Reviewers haven't gotten more harsh. Games in general have gotten a lot better since 1999/2001, meaning Sonic Team's at the time naivete got real annoying real quick. A lot of the reviews for Adventure DX and Adventure 2 Battle even said as such, and those were written 10 years ago.

Edited by Gilda
  • Thumbs Up 4

I dunno. While SA2 is definitely a better game than ShTH, if it were released in 2005 in its current state, I'm not so sure that it'd be getting 8s and 9s across the board. Which is why I hope that Sonic Team are at least making some reasonable improvements to the game so it can at least get around the 6/7 range.

I'd thought Sonic games today are doing better not worse.

Oh, and I'd thought that SA2B got lower scores is because the critics are now noticing the flaws with it? Atleast thats what it seems like when I've read some reviews of the port.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd thought Sonic games today are doing better not worse.

Edited by The Noodle
  • Thumbs Up 2

Come to think of it, would Sega be the type of company to offer an unlock code for GHZ as DLC?

Alright so we're into July and still no announcement. Assuming that October 3rd release date is correct then we've less than three months to go. Being serious here, when the hell are they likely to announce this? I mean we've got SoS/Sonic Boom just around the corner so if we don't hear about it there then I've got no idea when we will. I'm only annoyed since SEGA's marketing has been appauling recently and this is possibly the worst case yet.

Agreed. I'd say they're worse actually.

I love Chao actually, but most would say those are shit. And yes, the Kart racing is awful. I kind of consider the boss rush a minigame too.

Not by a long shot. I've seen plenty of people say they enjoy them. Thing is though, is that they have no business being in a Sonic game.

Opinions are poopy.

Yeah, except for the find the chao mission in unleashed, that was a plesent change of pace.

I love chao also, and found myself playing chao racing and karate alot. And the cart racing is pretty bad, but im not sure if i consider the boss rush a minigame, but thats just me.

Im glad to know others like them to, And i also dont think they should have been in the game, but they work in sonic adventure because of the story. What really didnt belong in SA2 is tails in a mech.

And opinions can be very poopy, stupid green eyes vs black eyes and ass-face crap... :P

Speaking of chao, i hope we will be able to get the knuckles, tails and amy chao somehow.

Pfft honestly, with the fanbase how it is, I'd say that is a mixed opinion at best.

Oh and every main title modern game is better than Sa2, and hell, id say the plots for Unleashed and Colors were better then the alienating crap Sa2 gave us.

>my 2 cents

I wouldent say they are better, only because im tierd of only playing as sonic, and though unleashed's story was good it isnt better, id say as good as sa2's story, but colors cant really be compared because its an entierly different tone, same with generations their both much more light-hearted. Like ultimate spider-man compared to the spectacular spider-man, Ultimate is super goofy and spectacular had a good balance of goofy and serious.

Also unleashed's story reminded me of SA2's story a little, just less dark.

• Thumbs Up 1

I enjoyed the missions in SA2 to a degree, minus the find X amount of rings.

My favorite being the find the lost chao missions.

the only thing I absolutely HATE about SA2 is the fact that you have to not only finish ALL the missions for a little Green Hill Zone level, but you had to A-Rank them as well... The best I could get on half of them was a C

edit: as for Sonic Heroes, I do like the game, but it is too easy and repetitive for me to play often, not to mention the over-use of bottomless pits (I felt like Ash Ketchum I saw so many pits... Luckily I didn't fall in every single one)

I am ready for SEGA to use a different character too. Sonic alone is getting boring IMO, why not bring back a playable Knuckles and make him play like he did in 3&K (goes fast through "regular" stages, but with the gliding and climbing and the "digging" [not digging like in the SA's, but how he could smash through some walls, but add the ability to do that through some floors too])

Edited by Mr.Snarf

Dude seriously, shut the hell up.

Butthurting huh?

Whatever.

I don't think I did something wrong. There was no need to be so rude.

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 3

Reviewers aren't any more harsh today as they were a decade ago. Sonic games today get received badly because they're shit, not because the reviewers have gotten 'harsh'

I am ready for SEGA to use a different character too. Sonic alone is getting boring IMO, why not bring back a playable Knuckles and make him play like he did in 3&K (goes fast through "regular" stages, but with the gliding and climbing and the "digging" [not digging like in the SA's, but how he could smash through some walls, but add the ability to do that through some floors too])

Yeah, all im asking for really is sonic, tails and knuckles as playable characters like in sonic 3 & knuckles, if sega did that id be happy, seeing as how my favorite character is knuckles.

I wonder if reviewers are gonna slam this port like they did the Sonic Adventure port. It'll be fun seeing fanboys rage over it (CJohnsonSA3)

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the problem here (and everywhere) is about expectations...

"...It doesn't feel like a 'Sonic' game." - Things like these make Sonic games lose points on reviews, because reviewers are hypocrites; if it feels like a "Sonic" game, then they will say it's because of the awkward camera, cheap deaths, etc...

On the other hand, if it doesn't, "where's the things that made Sonic great?"

Guys, the title is Sonic ADVENTURE 2, NOT SONIC 2! Sure, Sonic could have had an adventure alone, like Indiana Jones, but seriously, Sonic Adventure 2 got a 89 because at the time, these expectations weren't there, and the game was reviewed in an unbiased way, unlike today.

It's the same deal with the Werehog; I personally don't look for it in a Sonic game, and I don't like his way of playing, but it's not TERRIBLE. Only issues are the camera and levels that run for too long. But my point is this: Sonic Adventure 2 was a good game, period.

HOWEVER, for a remake to get good scores, it needs to be well-polished. NiGHTS looks like SEGA has been doing right, so hopefully, they will give SA2 the same treatment.

I think the problem here (and everywhere) is about expectations...

"...It doesn't feel like a 'Sonic' game." - Things like these make Sonic games lose points on reviews, because reviewers are hypocrites; if it feels like a "Sonic" game, then they will say it's because of the awkward camera, cheap deaths, etc...

People say "it doesn't feel like a Sonic game" because it's true, not because we're hypocritical. The biggest problem in Sonic Adventure 2 is the fact that the three gameplay styles are completely isolated from each other. While it's possible for someone to like all three, it's also perfectly reasonable for someone to hate all but one just because of how independent they are. This is a problem not only because it "doesn't feel like Sonic", but because in order to your time with this one game, Sonic Adventure 2, you need to enjoy three completely different kinds of games.

On top of all this, Sonic Adventure 2 is a Sonic game, and the Sonic levels it offers play like one would expect a Sonic game to. Nobody is going to buy the game if they don't like that style of gameplay, nor will they care for the franchise at all. All Sonic fans, on the other hand, would have to enjoy Sonic's typical style of gameplay in order to be fans of the games at all.

What I'm trying to say is this: When people buy a Sonic game, they expect a Sonic game, offering something different is downright idiotic.

Guys, the title is Sonic ADVENTURE 2, NOT SONIC 2! Sure, Sonic could have had an adventure alone, like Indiana Jones, but seriously, Sonic Adventure 2 got a 89 because at the time, these expectations weren't there, and the game was reviewed in an unbiased way, unlike today.

The Adventure games got good reviews at the time because of hype. Mascot Platformers at the time were like today's First Person Shooters; it was the genre that got a ton of attention, dominated the market, and was generally each console's biggest attraction. It also helps that due to the Dreamcast's downfall, as far as people knew, Sonic Adventure 2 was going to be the franchise's final game. Sonic Adventure 2 was hyped to Biblical proportions, and this was back in a time when Sonic was on top of the world.

It's the same deal with the Werehog; I personally don't look for it in a Sonic game, and I don't like his way of playing, but it's not TERRIBLE. Only issues are the camera and levels that run for too long. But my point is this: Sonic Adventure 2 was a good game, period.

It's the same deal with the Werehog; it really shouldn't have been there at all, and I'm shocked that a single person at SEGA thought it was a good idea. My main point is this: No. Period.

• Thumbs Up 3

The Adventure games got good reviews at the time because of hype...Sonic Adventure 2 was hyped to Biblical proportions, and this was back in a time when Sonic was on top of the world.

"The Beatles albums got good sales at the time because of hype...The Beatles were hyped to Biblical proportions, and this was back in a time when the Beatles were on top of the world." - Hypothetical quote.

My best friend does not like The Beatles and it saddens me, because I feel like he's missing out on awesome music. My best friend also does not like Sonic.

I know comparing Sonic to The Beatles sounds ridiculous, but hear me out: Your argument that SA2 did well due to hype when it didn't deserve that attention is invalid because at the time it was contemporary. I agree that today that game wouldn't hold up so well (definitely not as well as Beatles albums do today), but I would still prefer SA2 over a FPS, for example. Why? Because that's who I am, and SEGA has a target: people like me, nostalgic, mascot lovers.

I don't think Adventure 2 will do well in sales; if it does, it will only be because of nostalgic guys like me. That said, the Adventure games were a departure from the Genesis days, not unlike when The Beatles evolved from their Moptop days to becoming the fathers of modern music. Sonic was never and never will be bigger than The Beatles, but remember when Sonic was more popular than Mickey Mouse? Mickey Mouse was the Jesus of children's entertainment.

I don't think I can hold off of playing the game until October... Dying to play it right now :x

... I have no idea what you're trying to tell me. Sonic Adventure 2 was praised because of hype and lower standards. Your "they only hate it now because they're biased" argument doesn't make any sense, sorry.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, I forgot something.

Blowing shit up as Eggman was awesome. Not as Tails though.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Adventure 2 was praised because of hype and lower standards.

Bullshit. I guess this means the Genesis games are shit right now by your logic.

Blowing shit up as Eggman was awesome. Not as Tails though.

Well, yeah. Blowing shit up isn't quite as fun when you have the option to fly over it.

• Thumbs Up 1