Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 2 Discussion, Speculation, Media Topic

Stritix

I know that, but it appears you misunderstood my post. I'm buying the port and I generally don't approve of emulation if a legal alternative is available. -L- is claiming this port is enhanced and I'm saying it looks exactly the same as the emulation.

True they did pretty much take a page from emulation and widescreened everything and it did look like some small graphical issues are fixed from the GC port like textures, models and shadows. but otherwise I'm sure its still SA2B with some issues fixed.

Because this is "Sonic Adventure 2 Discussion," not "bash Sonic Adventure 2," although I agree it would've been nice to really specify that. We should be discussing things such as how the REMAKE will turn out, not the old titles, unless it's for reference.

I mean, there is not even a fucking trailer and people are already saying "This game should be better with just Sonic in it."No, it won't be. If SEGA does that, people will bitch that it's not worth $15, because that's what we do best: complain, complain, complain. So if you are gonna complain about Sonic Adventure 2, as in the already released versions, I would prefer it to be done somewhere else.

Thanks for clearing that up. And you are right. If Sega were to rip the other characters out of the game, that would kill it. As much as I could not stand playing Rouge's stages, I would be an extremely pissed sonic fan if they took that out. Also playing as Eggy was a huge highlight for the game (in my opinion). Now if they wanted to change a few stages up, which we all know they wont do, then I'd be okay with that. To bad it's not going to get a full HD look. Just a slightly higher res.

• Thumbs Up 1

Right right... But remember, SEGA looks at websites like here with a microscope; even if they never do 100% what we want, I think it's clear since Sonic 4: Episode I that they do pay attention to customer feedback.

Heck, we all know if it weren't for the leaks, Ep. I would've turned out a lot worse. So I believe there's still room for growth with this upcoming port. Probably just upscaled, but in my honest-to-God opinion, even if they only fix the dialogue lip-sync and volume balance, that makes it worth buying, because to me that would be the ultimate Sonic Adventure 2 experience.

The stuff I mentioned earlier (concept art unlocks) would be the icing on the cake though. :P

I mean for the original DX. They said it was far more than just a port (to the extent that "remake" was thrown around a lot); and justified that by changing a few models, changing some textures and gluing some GG titles to it.

And we all know how that turned out.

Right right... But remember, SEGA looks at websites like here with a microscope; even if they never do 100% what we want, I think it's clear since Sonic 4: Episode I that they do pay attention to customer feedback.

Heck, we all know if it weren't for the leaks, Ep. I would've turned out a lot worse. So I believe there's still room for growth with this upcoming port. Probably just upscaled, but in my honest-to-God opinion, even if they only fix the dialogue lip-sync and volume balance, that makes it worth buying, because to me that would be the ultimate Sonic Adventure 2 experience.

The stuff I mentioned earlier (concept art unlocks) would be the icing on the cake though. tongue.png

That would be pretty awesome! I don't think it'll be anything spectacular beyond a port and some small polishes (like new life icons?) though. Sonic Adventure 1 was rereleased too but that had little difference to the gamecube port besides taking out the GG games and adding an extra cost for the DX upgrade (which it already had sans mission mode). Everything costs money, and they let everyone know that when Sonic 4 Ep 2 came around and the spokesman said they couldn't take out some dash pads.

Still pretty excited for this game to come out again despite the skepticism.

Everything costs money, and they let everyone know that when Sonic 4 Ep 2 came around and the spokesman said they couldn't take out some dash pads.

Well, I don't know where you're from, but here in the US, there's a saying: "To make money you have to spend money."

With all their efforts to improve Ep. II over Ep. I, they still got a lower score with it because of the bias the first one built. If they had re-released Ep. I to be in the same standards as Ep. II, that would've helped out a lot, because it would show consistency.

With Adventure 2, hell, with digital games in general, word-of-mouth is what generates sales. If they don't invest money in features to make this HD release be the one to rule them all, people won't buy it. Sorry SEGA, but if you want me to go to Facebook and tell everyone "Guys, guys, you absolutely need to play Sonic Adventure 2, you will not regret it", I have to have substantial evidence to prove it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not to be a Negative Nancy here, but I personally think the HD re-release of this game is going to tarnish the franchise's reputation again, because I'm expecting a lot of negative reception for the rerelease (even worse than that of the SA1 port). SA1 was trashed by reviewers in this day and age, what makes anyone think SA2 has a shot, especially considering that the problems SA1 had SA2 took them up to eleven? Not to mention the significantly lower reviews both ports of the game (SADX and SA2B) received. Heck, I won't be surprised if people start declaring "Sonic hasn't been good since the Genesis games" again or even take it to the ultimate extreme that "the Sonic franchise has never been good" and view even the Genesis games in a negative light.

The self-aware trailer was nice, but consider me very pessimistic regarding the rerelease of this game.

Edited by Zinos

Sonic Adventure for XBLA and PSN was an awful port. They couldn't even be bothered to make the thing widescreen. What do you expect? Of course it was going to get a low score.

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle on the Gamecube got a lower score than the 9/10's the Dreamcast version got because they didn't fix any of the issues listed. They just ignored them and made the game glitchier. The same thing happened with DX, but they made the visuals ugly too.

They've actually improved the visuals this time. Widescreen, higher polly models, new life icons, more stage detail, enhanced textures. And that's just what I'm seeing from the screenshots they gave us.

Every new Dreamcast port SEGA has done gets better and better. They've also listed the game as being 'remastered', so I imagine the graphics will look smooth in motion.

I'm expecting this port to be decent-good. I can imagine it getting at least 6-7/10's from reviewers if all goes well.

• Thumbs Up 2

So then why are you here then?

It is very hard to take you serious. SHTH was not a good game on any terms. SA2 rapes that game and pisses on it before it heads to bed. This is a fact.

Also, why the hate around here. Can't we all just chill and drink a cold one? Damn.

I'm being completely serious. Sonic Adventure 2 is fun at times, but as a whole the game sucks ass. Shadow on the other hand sucks ass for completely different reasons, but I actually like the level design and view it as a goofy Adventure 2 DLC built with the Heroes engine. IMO it's the most underrated Sonic game, but I can understand why so many people hate it. I love it as people can probably tell by now. I rate it above the Adventure games. But my favorite 3D Sonic is Generations and my favorite Sonic of all time is Sonic 3 & Knuckles, so I guess you could say I'm the weirdest Sonic fan ever xD

I'm being completely serious. Sonic Adventure 2 is fun at times, but as a whole the game sucks ass. Shadow on the other hand sucks ass for completely different reasons, but I actually like the level design and view it as a goofy Adventure 2 DLC built with the Heroes engine. IMO it's the most underrated Sonic game, but I can understand why so many people hate it. I love it as people can probably tell by now. I rate it above the Adventure games.

What's ironic about this is if the real Justin Bieber was a Sonic fan, he'll probably say the same thing. -.-

Edited by Ming Ming Love

What's ironic about this is if the real Justin Bieber was a Sonic fan, he'll probably say the same thing. -.-

/confused. Why would the real Justin Bieber say that?

I know next to nothing about Justin Bieber minus the fact that he has a polarizing reputation as a pop singer, so I really have no clue why you'd say that.

Sonic Adventure for XBLA and PSN was an awful port. They couldn't even be bothered to make the thing widescreen. What do you expect? Of course it was going to get a low score.

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle on the Gamecube got a lower score than the 9/10's the Dreamcast version got because they didn't fix any of the issues listed. They just ignored them and made the game glitchier. The same thing happened with DX, but they made the visuals ugly too.

They've actually improved the visuals this time. Widescreen, higher polly models, new life icons, more stage detail, enhanced textures. And that's just what I'm seeing from the screenshots they gave us.

Every new Dreamcast port SEGA has done gets better and better. They've also listed the game as being 'remastered', so I imagine the graphics will look smooth in motion.

I'm expecting this port to be decent-good. I can imagine it getting at least 6-7/10's from reviewers if all goes well.

The most prominent complaint reviewers tend to have is with the camera. So if Sega can somehow find a way to make the camera not bug out in the main routes, I have no doubt it'll get at least a 6. Already expecting bad reviews from the get go. It's like reviewer law to bash on Sonic and somehow mention 06 in the same sentence. The problem is that they're remembering the games for being better than they actually were so when it inevitably gets rereleased, there's ungodly expectations. Everyone mentions SA2 as the best 3D Sonic game since forevers, but when they replay it, the magic is suddenly gone because reality sets in.

I've mostly just seen basic screenies that looked like they came from Battle with new life icons. If they actually look like effort was put into them, then my goodness I am going to be a happy Coral! Where did you see these? All I can find is the random listing for the game on xbox's site. :0 Dunno if I should link it or not since it's not supposed to even be there yet hehe.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, the port was half-assed, but that's not the only reason they gave such low markings-as I mentioned-SA1 recieved mostly positive reviews back when it was released back in 1998/1999, but in this day and age, you'd have to be blinded by nostalgia to ignore how incredibly dated the game is. The cutscenes, the voice acting, the genre roulette, the overall concept of fishing in a Sonic game, etc. that was passable a decade ago, wouldn't fly now. Many reviewers of the ports and fans of the games themselves have noted this.

As I mentioned in my previous post, SA2 retained some of the worst aspects of SA1 while taking some of the more tolerable aspects of the game and changing them to a form that many would consider them even more of an annoyance from it's predecessors. Like taking one big storyline that had the interactions of the six main characters with each other; as well as all three forms of the available genre roulettes of the game that two of each of the six main chararacters had; splitting all of that into two storylines "Light" and "Dark," and having the player sit through both storylines seperately. Another example would be stripping down the abilities of the emerald radar and increasing the size of the level maps for the reasure hunting stages. A third would be increasing the length of the mech stages, the choice of putting Tails in a mech, and making said mechs slow, clunky movement and slippery controls for the mech shooting stages.

In short-the many problems that SA2 had (which are pretty much the problems of SA1 exxagerated to a certain point) doesn't give me much confidence that SA2 would be able to show the world when it is re-released that it can still stand the test of time, regardless of the new bells and whistles the enhanced port will feature.

The problem is that they're remembering the games for being better than they actually were so when it inevitably gets rereleased, there's ungodly expectations. Everyone mentions SA2 as the best 3D Sonic game since forevers, but when they replay it, the magic is suddenly gone because reality sets in.

This is more or less a summarized version of what I've been trying to say. Kudos to you, Coral.

Edited by Zinos

I'll have to admit that Sonic Adventure 2 isn't on par with Sonic Adventure in terms of gameplay but much better in the storytelling and the action sequences than the first one. Still I was very keen on both gameplays between the two but there are some things that I'm just not that interested in.

Both of these games both has its advantages and disadvantages and still both of these games (no matter how much content fans are not familiar with), are prime examples of a good Sonic 3D game, along with Sonic Colours and Sonic Generations (technically it's 2.5D but still there are 3D elements thrown in there so I think it counts?).

I am still looking forward to a HD port version of this but I wouldn't pin too many hopes on a good port this one. Sonic Adventure port is critically worse than the original version but still it is re-released not only to attract new sonic fans but to give the older fans a bit of nostalgia too. So even if this port is quite bad, still I'm not bothered by this but at least it will be re-released in high definition and still that is a good thing.

I don't want to be far too critical about this so I'm just going to buy this port and play it as normal anyway. Think I said that right yeah?

• Thumbs Up 1

<p>

Wouldn't you be hyped over the re-release of a game that was likely your gateway game into the series?

Hey, if Sonic Heroes got an HD port to XBL/PSN, sure, I would play it, but I wouldn't wet my pants over it. Edited by Felix
  • Thumbs Up 1

<p>Hey, if Sonic Heroes got an HD port to XBL/PSN, sure, I would play it, but I wouldn't wet my pants over it.

I would go fucking /apeshit/

Couldn't see this posted.

A surprise emerges from the shadows

Press Release 16th July, 2012

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO— 16th Jul, 2012 — In a totally unexpected, surprise announcement at the 2012 Sonic Boom community fan-fest during San Diego Comic-Con, SEGA® Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America, Inc. have officially announced the upcoming HD remake of legendary Dreamcast title Sonic Adventure 2™ for PlayStation®Network and Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.

The game that first introduced the world to Sonic’s darker counterpart, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Adventure 2 has players exploring two unique storylines from the perspectives of both long time heroes and new and returning villains in a battle for the fate of the world. First released in 2001 and hailed as one of the last great Dreamcast releases, this unmissable Sonic story will feature high-definition graphics, leaderboards, achievement/trophy support, and more when it hits consoles later this year.

http://www.sega.co.uk/news/?n=5723

Even in the press release they're poking fun at themselves :lol:

• Thumbs Up 5

And by "high-definition graphics" I assume they mean they changed the aspect ratio so they don't look completely lazy...

Oh and "features.....and more"? I'm still hoping that means online versus mode. I will not give up...

• Thumbs Up 1

The "and more" has me wondering, but I'm pretty sure that it's just referring to Battle as DLC. :D

Do they plan on explaining why there's no online multiplayer?

I know I'm obsessing over this, but it seriously pisses me off.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't see them adding online multiplayer. This is a HD port simply bringing the game to current consoles, not an expansion like Adventure 2 -> Adventure 2: Battle.

It's PS3/360 DX all over again plus some porting improvements.

Do they plan on explaining why there's no online multiplayer?

I know I'm obsessing over this, but it seriously pisses me off.

Because they don't know how to add online multiplayer to old Sonic games without lag :P

• Thumbs Up 3