Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 2 Discussion, Speculation, Media Topic

Stritix

Just looked into and yeah, the other 2 screenshots were in the Xbox.com leak.

I know I'm late but:

The only reason the Chao Gardens exist was to make use of the Dreamcast's VMU feature. You were able to take your Chao on the go with you and battle them with other people who had VMUs (I think, not sure on that one).

If the VMUs didn't exist, neither would the Chao Garden.

Which is probably why we haven't seen them since SA2.

• Thumbs Up 1

My main question is: WHY DIDN'T SA1 GET THE SAME TREATMENT?

Seriously, why couldn't SA1 be part of this collection? It's still a better game than SA2 in my opinion.

Edited by pppp

Seriously, why couldn't SA1 be part of this collection? It's still a better game than SA1 in my opinion.

It still sucks that SA1 didn't get this treatment... Don't worry, I'm not holding out for yet another port of it on XBLA/PSN, even if it gives us new special features, widescreen, etc.. I am pretty sure that won't happen.

If they decide to make a Sonic Adventure era collection for the Vita, they may, but really, I don't know if they'd do this either

Edited by Mr.Snarf

So is the HD release still pegged as October 3rd? I know that's the date we got from the initial leak, but I don't know if it's been confirmed yet. I need to know so that I know which day I need to book off of work. >.>

So is the HD release still pegged as October 3rd? I know that's the date we got from the initial leak, but I don't know if it's been confirmed yet. I need to know so that I know which day I need to book off of work. >.>

You would book a day off for an HD re-release? Seems an odd thing to book a day off for. Anyway, no, there hasn't been anything more official than October. Xbox Live release date leaks have been wrong before, so I'd wait for the official date from SEGA.

I know I'm late but:

The only reason the Chao Gardens exist was to make use of the Dreamcast's VMU feature. You were able to take your Chao on the go with you and battle them with other people who had VMUs (I think, not sure on that one).

If the VMUs didn't exist, neither would the Chao Garden.

Which is probably why we haven't seen them since SA2.

So very much agreed. Some fans forget that since Sonic Adventure was the game that most every Dreamcast owner would pick up with their console, that it HAD to take advantage of every feature the Dreamcast had to offer. Since VMU and internet were the two big features of the console, SA had the leaderboards, DLC and Chao. They were only there for this reason. Sonic Team didn't HAVE to have the Chao, but I'm certain that one of SEGA's goals was to have the game utilize the VMU in some way that allowed players to play mini-games on it. I'd assume that since virtual pets were all the rage at the time, they chose to work them in that way.

It always frustrates me when post-Dreamcast games get shit for not having Chao. Chao were never ever a crucial part of the series, nor were they an evolution of the Sonic gameplay. There were a mini-game meant to take advantage, and justify the existence of, the VMU. Once the VMU was gone, the Chao were gone. It's like the chicken and the egg question, but there is a definite answer. What came first? The VMU or the chao? The VMU.

• Thumbs Up 5

Seriously, why couldn't SA1 be part of this collection? It's still a better game than SA2 in my opinion.

Why didn't SA1 get this treatment? Because SEGA has only recently decided that ports should be more than the bare minimum.

BS! it's one of, if not the best designed stage in the game! Open! fast! Multiple routes! SA2 GHZ is just plain fun, and before the remake frenzy of this gen, absolutely amazing to see an old stage remade in fantastic graphics

It distinctly feels like a 2D stage stretched out into 3D. Cool, but feels a bit cheap. I just think it could have been done a lot better.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

You would book a day off for an HD re-release? Seems an odd thing to book a day off for. Anyway, no, there hasn't been anything more official than October. Xbox Live release date leaks have been wrong before, so I'd wait for the official date from SEGA.

Eh, I have quite a few days off left to use by the end of the year; we're almost halfway through September and I've only used up half of my holiday allowance so far.

Taking days off for Jet Set Radio next Wednesday and NiGHTS, too. wink.png

In our unaired interview with Aaron Webber, it appeared that Crazy Taxi was what made them up their game. He noted that without all the original elements, like the iconic music, the game was just not the same. Since then, proper widescreen and the return of (nearly) every element from the original game were very important.

But I agree, it's a shame SA1 didn't get widescreen support, because the framerate is like butter, but the 4:3 is so constraining.

• Thumbs Up 2

See, I'm not much of a retro purist in most cases- whereas some people consider playing anything other than the original version on the original console a lesser experience, more often than not I'll happily sacrifice a few minor details for the convenience of playing it on a current-gen and/ or handheld console (hell, I don't really even have any beef with Sonic Classic Collection to give you a clue of how forgiving I am). As long as a game generally looks, plays and sounds more or less the same as the original, I'm usually satisfied.

Crazy Taxi on the other hand is pretty much the one game where I simply won't even go anywhere near the HD release with a barge pole. In fairness, the soundtrack is pretty much half of Crazy Taxi; take out that and the licensed locations and it just isn't the same at all. Kind of a shame they can't find some way to get the rights to everything again and patch them all back in, really.

I'm not going to pretend that I understand how copyright law works regarding these things, but I find it a little short-sighted of them that such licenses for use of music and such in games can 'expire'.

(Oh, I'd also be very hard-pushed to buy any potential future port of Sonic Riders that didn't have a Japanese voice action- it's a very special game to me and as my first ever console import it just wouldn't feel right in English dammit D: )

Edited by -Mark-

It always frustrates me when post-Dreamcast games get shit for not having Chao. Chao were never ever a crucial part of the series, nor were they an evolution of the Sonic gameplay. There were a mini-game meant to take advantage, and justify the existence of, the VMU. Once the VMU was gone, the Chao were gone. It's like the chicken and the egg question, but there is a definite answer. What came first? The VMU or the chao? The VMU.

Well, the fact is is that a lot of people had fun with them, and they add something to the game for them. But really? Sega probably can't afford to implement them nowadays. It would take up way too much development time to implement the garden in a way that coincides with the level design of the regular game.

But I'll stop before I go too off-topic

It appears that SEGA decided to to make a decent effort (to give a shit) when releasing old Sonic and SEGA titles, when they re-released Sonic CD which just happened to sell fuck loads of copies. I also think that as other franchises started to release much better quality HD collections, for example the Metal Gear Solid HD collection, this gave SEGA the incentive to make a much better quality re-release.

Edited by NightwingFox

Because SA1 sucks

I can't quite understand some of the requirements. Time to raise your chao? Welcome to the Sonic world? What does that mean?

Start raising a chao and start playing the game in any story?

• Thumbs Up 1

They should have said that thentongue.png

Well, it basically says that.

"Time to raise your Chao" seems pretty spot on with the objective.

"Welcome to the Sonic World" is a way to say welcome to the Sonic Adventure 2 story.

Edited by Tmsp