Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 2 Discussion, Speculation, Media Topic

Stritix

Hasn't been posted yet right? Yeah, VIDEO finally.

I noticed that the CGI cutscenes are in 4:3 still. Actually I noticed one of the in-game cutscenes was in 4:3. Strange.

Either way, looks like the bonus content (Interviews, gameplay concepts) is now confirmed.

main_126_2_1346870792.jpg

I don't even like SA2 or anything related to it (albeit yay Metal Harbour and free Ken Balough code) but I've got to give it credit, I LOOOOVE the way this thing is designed.

This is fucking epic man, I'm getting chills like when I saw the game for the first time hahaha

*Not complaining, just pointing it up*

I noticed something lazy, the cutscenes don't have shadows, exactly like they did in Battle. All the DC cutscenes have a round shadow under the characters (not to mention the SonicxAmy prision scene, where they removed all the bars' shadows, making it less realistic...), which are removed from the GC version for God knows what reason. And SEGA didn't added they back. That prooves that besides adding the widescreen borders, they didn't touched the cutscenes at all.

The interview with concepts and artworks looks interesting tho! Ow, and the DLC changes the tittle screen and add more levels in 2-players mode, meh, I always liked the simpler SA2 tittle screen more, so no hurry in buying that DLC.

Edited by Jango

Well this is the 2nd time its been ported to everything this time and not 1 console so theres some excitement to people who didn't play it on DC or GC. plus added PC version makes people happy too.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's amazing how much excitement the port of an old game can get.

Yes, but if it's an 'enhanced' port, then that will make people more interested/excited. I mean, Sonic CD 2011 looked utterly amazing in HD, 16:9 Widescreen narrative, as did Sonic 4.

When SEGA makes the effort, their ports of old games can look really good. I am impressed with JSR. Looking forward to SA2 and Nights.

Edited by NightwingFox
  • Thumbs Up 7

I wonder if we'll be able to change the spoken dialogue from English to Japanese? That's my preferred method of play.

Definitely. It was in the original games and it was retained in the recent DX port.

Edited by XD375

I always find it weird how rarely companies put in the effort to make old CGI cut-scenes widescreen. I mean surely they still have all the animation and software that they rendered it with and could import it to newer stuff?

To be honest I'd have rather they cheated and done a bit of zooming/subtle side-stretching in order to cheaply make them widescreen. It takes me out of the game a little to suddenly have the ratio change.

Though to be honest, ironically the archaic non-HD non-widescreen FMV is now going to look worse than the graphics of the in-game cut-scenes... how times change.

(Anyway aside from FMV nitpicking yeah this looks really good).

• Thumbs Up 2

I always find it weird how rarely companies put in the effort to make old CGI cut-scenes widescreen. I mean surely they still have all the animation and software that they rendered it with and could import it to newer stuff?

SA2 is over 10 years old, and made by a company who are pretty infamous for losing assets and source codes of their games. They're very unlikely to have anything of the CGI videos left.

SA2 is over 10 years old, and made by a company who are pretty infamous for losing assets and source codes of their games. They're very unlikely to have anything of the CGI videos left.

I knoooow. But still I'm constantly flummoxed at the industry's inability to hold onto (and/or make use of) assets in these sorts of cases.

Yes, but if it's an 'enhanced' port, then that will make people more interested/excited. I mean, Sonic CD 2011 looked utterly amazing in HD, 16:9 Widscreen narrative, as did Sonic 4.

When SEGA makes the effort, their ports of old games can look really good. I am impressed with JSR. Looking forward to SA2 and Nights.

Only thing enhanced at the moment are the graphics, other than that, it's not much of a change. I mean CD let you play as Tails, switch soundtracks between regions, and completely redid the physics engine, THAT'S enchantment. I wish I was more excited about this, but so far it just seems like the same just dolled up to look prettier.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes, but if it's an 'enhanced' port, then that will make people more interested/excited. I mean, Sonic CD 2011 looked utterly amazing in HD, 16:9 Widscreen narrative, as did Sonic 4.

I've played JSR on my Dreamcast about 8 times through (all region versions), yet the HD release feels very new and fresh to me. So much so that I've played over half the game standing about five feet from the TV, because the visuals are just so much clearer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Only thing enhanced at the moment are the graphics, other than that, it's not much of a change. I mean CD let you play as Tails, switch soundtracks between regions, and completely redid the physics engine, THAT'S enchantment. I wish I was more excited about this, but so far it just seems like the same just dolled up to look prettier.

And it's not even THAT pretty to be honest. Sure, graphics were fixed a little bit, but I don't see why they say it's "FULL HD" while the textures themselves are raaaaather outdated.

As silly as it sounds, part of me doesn't want to get the HD port because I feel like I'd be abandoning my Chao then.

Completely ridiculous? Perhaps. But darn it some of those Chao were my childhood!

• Thumbs Up 1

I was thinking about getting this after seeing that HD trailer, but I already own the game on GameCube, so there's no point, right?

Depends. If you have a Wii/GCN hooked up all the time so you can play SA2 easily when you want to then sure there's no need to buy this. But if you'd like to play it on a newer console or legally on your PC then that's what this port is for. It doesn't add anything new so you'll not be missing out by not getting it.