Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 2 Discussion, Speculation, Media Topic

Stritix

Did they retcon Shadow's backstory or add a "Shadow Will Return in Shadow the Hedgehog (coming 2013)" to the end of the credits?

• Thumbs Up 1

Did they retcon Shadow's backstory or add a "Shadow Will Return in Shadow the Hedgehog (coming 2013)" to the end of the credits?

It's a port.

I would really be shocked if SEGA did anything to the storyline and gameplay itself.

• Thumbs Up 2

I played the demo... for some bizarre reason cause I pretty much already know everything about the game.

I got to experience seeing Big in City Escape. Felt good, man.

From Sonic Retro:

Oh boy... this port. THIS port.

I'm getting quite a laundry list of problems so far and I'm only at Mission Street.

Any problem in the original SA2 has been exacerbated or some strange new ones have popped up, mainly sound effect wise. Sonic's iris seems to like popping out of his eye and clipping through his eye lid and "eyebrow" too.

Here's a taste. Mission Street always had that odd glitch where the Jet plane noises don't stop after they've flown off. Yeah, those stack now. Try having THREE of the same sound clip stacking for about two minutes. I was waiting for my TV speakers to blow out.

And I've fallen through a floor and had momentum killed by side-glancing a wall in Metal Harbor. THIS really is SA2 as I remember it. A frustrating steaming pile of crap.

From Sonic Retro:

... Oh boy. Too bad I'm broke and can't get the port right now. I wanna try it out for myself and see if it really is that bad. Edited by Tatsumaki

If this port sucks too much, then even the fanboys of the game won't like it.

............and then Sonic might lose a lot of reputation-rebuilding progress he's made in the past 4 years....

I'll still get it regardless, but I wonder if my Sonic Adventure 2 battle for gamecube will be the superior version.

Even though people adore Sonic Adventure 2, I doubt one huge screw-up with a port will screw any progress Sonic's made in the past couple years.

Like lots of people have said previously here:

SEGA should just slow down, think before acting, and just keep on doing what they were doing with Colors and Generations. They won't get completely destroy the hate people have for his franchise, but it'll get a lot more tame, hopefully.

How about we wait to hear more on the port instead of heavily judging it by one random Sonic Retro member?

It's out today, and somebody has it. I think it's pretty fair to judge it considering Retro is into this kind of thing.

• Thumbs Up 4

This "random" Sonic Retro member also happens to be a site staff, so he has more credibility than you give him.

• Thumbs Up 7

Well, the thing about the pupils is true:

GeneHF is a pretty reputable member. He wouldn't just make a bunch of crap up.

I'm still excited to play this but I won't be suprised at all if this port gets alot of flak either because it's a bad port or the game isn't as great as people remembered it. I'm already bracing myself for the worse.

• Thumbs Up 4

Maybe I'm going blind, but I don't see the pupil clipping thing in that video. Can someone pinpoint a time in the video where it happens?

EDIT:

Nevermind, I see it now.

^ When Sonic blinks, his pupil is still visible. Honestly it's barely an issue. As long as it doesn't happen in that cut-scene later on where Knuckles finds Sonic after the Chaos Control, I can't see it mattering much.

I hope the glitch reports are exaggerated or based off random bad luck. Most of all from that footage I just found it a shame that the widescreen really shows off the level geometry horizons to the left and right at some point. Kind of ruins the reality of the game. I mean I totally expected it to happen, to the point I would have been legitimately surprised if they fixed it (not that we would know since I would have just assumed the level map always went that far beyond the 4:3 view), but still. It's a shame. Worth it for the rest of the time when the widescreen works great though.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys

Hey guys

I already had it.

......Go away.

Anyways, As much as I have respect for Gene, his complaints seem to be just minor nitpicking to me. and he states "SA2 has always been this bad" so he clearly wasn't a SA2 fan before this port and still isn't after. don't jump on a band wagon just yet guys.

Its a port guys, really nothing was going to be fixed or improved from the GC version and thats what I was expecting.

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 7

I agree that it's just nitpicking. I never even noticed the eye glitch in the original, the GC version or video of this version until it was pointed out to me just now.

Screencapped it for the lulz because it looks like that old gumball eye thing.

R1jAK.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2