Stritix

Sonic Adventure 2 Discussion, Speculation, Media Topic

Well it's part of the game's charm. I would actually be saddened if it was fixed.

Meh, even as a youngin' it bothered me. I guess I should be thankful it went from living faces of Sonic Adventure to screwy dialouge in 2.

One thing though... Shadow The Hedgehog and Sonic Generations (for example) have all voice acting and sound effects tied to the soundtrack. Is this the case with SA2? Can you turn off music and just have speech/sound effects in cut-scenes?

If so then... yeah they were kinda lazy and probably could have fixed the speech. But if they were working with just a single sound file for each cut-scene that couldn't be edited, that's kind of understandable.

Is it safe to assume the website is running on PST, and that since there was never an official PC date the site just put a placeholder date in and it is counting down to that?

If the PC version was coming out that soon, then they probably could have easily known and mentioned that on the blog.

Edited by Mykonos

Not sure if this was posted before

"Hey everyone — just wanted to reply to some of what I saw in the comments here! I understand the sensitivity over release dates and that if you are waiting for a PC version, then you don't want to feel short-changed. It has been previously announced that it is coming to PC — that's not new. If you feel like that was a backhanded way to mention it, please accept my apologies. I meant it as a reminder.

First, ‘months’ is the language from the press release. The choice to add that we're in luck was mine. I totally see why it was taken as a ‘you're in luck you have to wait’ comment but it was meant more along the lines of ‘those of us who care about PC games can be happy knowing that it is on the way.’

It's not meant as an exact figure — it doesn't mean that it will take X or more months. It means the date is ‘to be announced'. That is literally all it means. I think in general, companies have to be cautious about release dates, especially if they estimate too early. I can't say more because we don't have more information to impart.

Second, my enthusiasm there is real. I am looking forward to playing it on PC. Given a choice it's where I play most games. I am speaking 100% as a fan there — sometimes I get caught up in being able to write about games I am a genuine fan of. So when I say ‘you're in luck', it means that for multi-platform release PC games haven't always gotten the best possible version. I'm happy to say that's changing. This was not a guarantee in the past.

Obviously it would be best if everything released together, but that simply can't always happen. Here's why:

The extra time is not because we didn't develop the PC version along with everything else. XBLA and PSN have a much more streamlined release structure — it's part of what makes those platforms so appealing. ‘PC’ is not a single store, though — there are a lot of different moving parts and places that may sell a given game, be it Amazon or Steam or Origin or GOG or whatever. To make sure those line up takes a little longer, especially at a time of year when companies release a ton of games.

I hope that helps explain the comment — I know no one likes to wait. I can't tell anyone they have to like waiting a little longer, but for now that's what we have to do. These games and the fan communities for them mean a ton to me, so if there's any questions or lingering doubts, please let me know, I'll try to answer as best I can."

Posted by Edward@Sega on October 2nd, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I played the demo yesterday and will play the full game today. Maybe it's just because i'm so used to Generations and Colors by now, but these controls...these controls man...they just don't feel right to me anymore. Turning during the snowboarding part is a nightmare because of how imprecise the controls are. I kept wishing i was playing Generations City Escape instead, i miss the drift mechanic. I'm sorry guys, but i don't even like the Sonic/Shadow stages anymore.

You SA fans are perfectly allowed to like this game all you want, power to you, but i cannot do it. I already A-ranked most of Nights HD and everything about that game still feels wonderful. SA2 is just getting shittier with every passing year to me.

But again, this is just my take on the demo, maybe I'll change my mind once i get used to the controls again.

Hopefully, since I've done good work today, my parents might allow me to get this today. :3 I'll keep hoping. If not, I'll at least try to play the demo. :)

Edit: WHAT THE HELL? Singapore PSN doesn't have NiGHTS, SA2 demo or JSR. All they have is the full version of SA2.

GREAT.

Edited by Faseeh

They replaced the Chao machine with the one from DX. All you get is 'goodbye' and 'quit'.

Omachao doesn't talk at all for the parts when the circle button shows up, but talks for the others.

There are also a lot of bug fixes. The guy playing through the game tries to do many of the glitches from the previous versions, but he can't. They've been fixed. Looks like they really are trying.

This is the definite version of Sonic Adventure 2.

How long until it releases in the EU store?

I'm currently placing in $10 that at least one or more of the reviewers will start off the review like

Is Sonic finally back on top?

"The blue blur has had a troubled past, though he started out strong, his jump into 3D wasn't as successful as other video-game franchises. With many failures after another, things looked bleak for the blue bomber hedgehog. Thankfully Colors and Generations showed us that there is still some good left in him. But with the recent re-release of Sonic Adventure 2 HD, can the hedgehog maintain momentuem? Let's find out."

One of the paragraphs will contain this

"Unfortunatley, we have the unlucky pleasure of playing as Sonic's friends, who are also in the game as well. I used to like Tails, but now I hate him. I also hate Knuckles. Why is everyone here anyway? They are all completely useless and add almost nothing to the story and gameplay. They should've been cutscenes only, but I guess there's only so little you can do for a remake of a game. I like Shadow though."

And this

"The controls are (insert big word to make reviewer look smart here). Whenever I press the jump button, there's a distinctive lag between the TV and the controller input. My dog tested it out and didn't see it, but I am certain there's a 0.2345 second lag. I tried constantly hitting down the spindash button, but it just kept throwing me into walls! What a mess!"

With the last few sentences leaning towards this

"In the end, Sonic may be up for another adventure, but it will be up to you to decide whether you want to cross this road or not. The controls, characters, and gameplay are all too much for me to even enjoy a single moment of this game. It would just be more respectable at this point to bury the blue dude six feet under, and remember the glory days. Such a horrible port of what was once considered the golden era of the franchise. If only they knew 11 years ago, if only they knew....."

"7/10, C+, Metacritic score of who gives a shit."

The sad thing you probably just wrote GameTrailer's review for them.

Feels great to play this game after so long. Even now as an adult I still love it as much as I did when I was younger. I do wonder what downloadable content could be on its way though.

Just the Battle DLC. I seriously doubt they would add anything else.

Chilling here, doin' college work waiting for the EU store to update so i can start my playthrough, I played the US store trial and its just like SA2B with the Control feeling of SA2 DreamCast, a little looser how I liked it (Played the DC game more over the GC game) Just wished they added the awesome SA2 intro from the Dreamcast game ^-^ Non the less I still have both versions so its no big deal