Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 2 Discussion, Speculation, Media Topic

Stritix

I got the HD port over the weekend. It plays rather fine and I haven't run into any weird glitches. The only things that kind of irk me are: the sfx in most cutscenes have been diluted to the point you can hardly hear them, and on the opposite end of the spectrum, you have certain sfx that have had the volume turned up super loud! That cutscene after the moon explodes for the upteenth time, there's this annoying WIRRR sound that is just the worst. Fffff.

Also when I got my chao into the Dark Race, there's some massive slowdown at the beginning when everyone takes off running. I wish I could run into fun debug levels instead. :{

• Thumbs Up 2

Huh, that kinda sounds like fun. I mean, probably not when you're trying to beat it for real, but playing around in the debug level in general.

It still saved my progress, so even though I had to quit to the menu to get out of it it didn't annoy me. I played it as part of story mode, I had a chao key on me and I got an A-rank with something like 80.000 points - I don't know if that makes any difference in what causes you to go to the debug level.

Incidentally, if you do get there don't jump off the edge. You'll fall forever. Which I did.

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy

The quiet dialogue in cut scenes was a problem with the original game too, not just this HD port. There were parts where they were barely audible, particularly in the pyramid. Somehow the sound mixers really screwed up, I think it's because they really wanted to hammer home that massive and expensive soundtrack to help sell CDs. The same issue was present in parts of SA1, though not to the point where dialogue was inaudible like it is here, it was just a little muffled in comparison to the BGM. The Gamecube versions fixed it up a little if I remember rightly, but here SA2 has the issue again.

I got the HD port over the weekend. It plays rather fine and I haven't run into any weird glitches. The only things that kind of irk me are: the sfx in most cutscenes have been diluted to the point you can hardly hear them, and on the opposite end of the spectrum, you have certain sfx that have had the volume turned up super loud! That cutscene after the moon explodes for the upteenth time, there's this annoying WIRRR sound that is just the worst. Fffff.

I didn't notice anything about the cutscenes, but there's definitely a difference in the actual gameplay. Occasionally a ring or some other sound effect will be almost deafening out of nowhere. It also makes audial glitches (like the planes in Radical Highway and Mission Street) all the more prominent. Speaking of audio, one thing I've never noticed before is the warning sound that King Boom Boo makes as it draws closer (as if it is needed). Aside from increasing the volume of the sound effects, I haven't noticed a significant difference between this and Battle.

Oh, and I unlocked the video, and subsequent disappointment. Was there really any point in adding that measly five minutes that barely touched upon the game specifically? I imagine that this was discussed earlier and I'm late to the party. =p

Oh, and I unlocked the video, and subsequent disappointment. Was there really any point in adding that measly five minutes that barely touched upon the game specifically? I imagine that this was discussed earlier and I'm late to the party. =p

Yes, agreed. I was hoping for a video of at least 50 minutes about the game. Still, I guess in this instance, something was still better than nothing. Unless of course there is another video to unlock that we don't know about, but I doubt it.

Hopefully it's not too annoying to ask now that everyone's had a chance to play the game properly... Once again, can anyone confirm for me if custom soundtracks are compatible with cut-scenes, or whether it pauses your music/mutes all cut-scene sound?

I assume it totally mutes the cut-scene for FMV scenes since that's what happened with the FMV SA2 DreamCast Intro on the Trial Version, but how about regular cut-scenes?

Oh, that's a point that always bothered me too... doubtful but, did they fix the fact that there's no subtitles on the FMV scenes? I always wondered how other languages even... dealt with that considering there's only English/Japanese voiceovers.

Welp. I want and Hero/Normal Chao (just beause it was what I had on my DC back then) but didnt know Chaos Drives also change the appareance of the Chaos on the first evolution. Im screwed then? I randomly gave them drives without even knowing the stats (didnt remember the colors).

Oh, that's a point that always bothered me too... doubtful but, did they fix the fact that there's no subtitles on the FMV scenes? I always wondered how other languages even... dealt with that considering there's only English/Japanese voiceovers.

Nope. I played with the Japanese voice-overs on for the first time, making the lack of subtitles in those more apparent.

Hopefully it's not too annoying to ask now that everyone's had a chance to play the game properly... Once again, can anyone confirm for me if custom soundtracks are compatible with cut-scenes, or whether it pauses your music/mutes all cut-scene sound?

I assume it totally mutes the cut-scene for FMV scenes since that's what happened with the FMV SA2 DreamCast Intro on the Trial Version, but how about regular cut-scenes?

I just tried this, and while it doesn't appear to like my iPod (since it takes ages to access the music player and won't let me choose), it's playing over regular cutscenes. When trying this with the CGI scenes though, it plays both the iPod's and the scene's track simultaneously.

Edited by Pawn
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just tried this, and while it doesn't appear to like my iPod (since it takes ages to access the music player and won't let me choose), it's playing over regular cutscenes. When trying this with the CGI scenes though, it plays both the iPod's and the scene's track simultaneously.

So... in regular cut-scenes it does JUST mute the music and not the dialogue/sound effects too?

So... in regular cut-scenes it does JUST mute the music and not the dialogue/sound effects too?

Yeah, you can only hear your music, as well as the dialogue and sound effects.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sweet, thanks a bunch for checking. I was worried because I know Shadow The Hedgehog combined it's sfx/dialogue/music into one sound file for the cut-scenes, which is why there were no cut-scene music rips online and we had to wait for the OST for those.

No problem. I have to say that I do find the sense of speed in this game to be superior in a lot of ways to the Modern games. Since I'm not numb to the feeling of my top speed a lot of the time, and I have to work to earn it, it actually feels like more of a thrill. I expected this to an extent, but after playing Generations on a fairly regular basis it has been made much more apparent. It's a pity that this feeling is killed in certain sections by boost pads though.

Grinding feels great in general, but really shines in levels like Final Rush and Final Chase. I love the vertical rails and that others actually lead to different places in the level. Although the way that you switch rails is a bit on the dodgy side, it's still a hell of a lot of fun; especially since you can pick up some serious speed on them.

Anyone know if its possible to change the personality trait of a Chao (without spoiling it)?

One of my two chao is a "cry-baby", but I dont even know why. He is still in his early child phase (just slept once and is lvl 1, probably one hour of gameplay) I never hurted it, and never let it starve, and he never cried yet :/

Gonna go for a Chaos Chao again. Just to be clear, if I make it Hero or Dark for the first life, I can still make it Neutral later, right? It's been so long.

Also this game is hilarious. I remembered it being really stupid but god damn.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can I get a list of locations/cutscenes Big was missing in? I'm actually in contact with someone from SEGA in regards to correcting this issue. I know of Wild Canyon and I was wondering if there are others.

• Thumbs Up 2

Can I get a list of locations/cutscenes Big was missing in? I'm actually in contact with someone from SEGA in regards to correcting this issue. I know of Wild Canyon and I was wondering if there are others.

I'm not sure.

But, could you mention the stage select camera bug? When going backwards, the camera will jump about.

It really impresses me just how many secret areas there are in each level, which are very easy to miss on a normal playthrough. You really have to explore thoroughly to find them (this is a where the game camera can be a bit frustrating). I just got the lost Chao in Prison Lane (as Tails). A couple of times, I thought I had found the route to the Chao, but these hard to reach areas were packed with other stuff, like the little animals that you can collect and extra lives.

I like that there are loads of the extra power ups that you can collect, like the Treasure scope, Light Dash and Flame Ring. There is fuck loads on content in this game.

Sonic Team put Tails in a Mech for a SA2, and yet Tails can still run and fly around in the Chao hub world. Why go to the effort of designing Tails with his normal abilities, and then not use his normal gameplay in the levels? Strange choice.

EDIT: A patch that fixes the sound issues? That is fantastic, because that is really my only issue with this game.

Edited by NightwingFox

A PATCH THAT FIX THE SOUNDS ISSUES? Sweet! I mean, it is THAT hard to turn down the bgm volume and turn up the voice volume? I thought that's childplay. I hope they also fix Big tha Cat in Wild Canyon and the skybox mixed texture in the EggxTails boss.

Sonic Team put Tails in a Mech for a SA2, and yet Tails can still run and fly around in the Chao hub world. Why go to the effort of designing Tails with his normal abilities, and then not use his normal gameplay in the levels? Strange choice.

It wouldn't have fit the theme of the game if he did that, with him being Eggman's rival. I personally didn't have a problem with him using a mech for one game, just so long as it didn't turn into a permanent thing.

A patch would definitely be cool. Are we sure the source is legit? Just checking.

Well, it is a TSSZ article, so it must legit.........

I hope it is though.

Edited by NightwingFox

So the Sega Blogs confirmed Crazy Taxi for iPod, iPhone and iPad. I'm calling Sonic Adventure 2 for iDevices. You heard it here first!

just a quick Question for you guys that have SA2 hd already, is the PAL bug fixed? you know, when i used to play SA2b on the gamecube, i would always get this random double jump instead of a normal jump which meant instant kill on many levels, made getting all A's super challenging, (cant remember if the dreamcast had the same problems)

if im going to go through the game again id love for that bug to be fixed, it was the only thing that annoyed me in that game.

It still saved my progress, so even though I had to quit to the menu to get out of it it didn't annoy me. I played it as part of story mode, I had a chao key on me and I got an A-rank with something like 80.000 points - I don't know if that makes any difference in what causes you to go to the debug level.

Maybe I should try it when I get the chance, see if my version happens to repeat the process.

Incidentally, I can't seem to find any footage of a beta or debug level for SA2. Odd, I'd think one could access it through Action Replay or something. Like, even in the Gamecube version.