Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 2 Discussion, Speculation, Media Topic

Stritix

Maybe I should try it when I get the chance, see if my version happens to repeat the process.

Incidentally, I can't seem to find any footage of a beta or debug level for SA2. Odd, I'd think one could access it through Action Replay or something. Like, even in the Gamecube version.

How could this even happen by simply collecting the Chao key in Cosmic Wall? They'd have to change the level values for it to do this... Maybe it was intentional? Unlikely, but it would make sense.

Edited by -L-

Maybe I should try it when I get the chance, see if my version happens to repeat the process.

Incidentally, I can't seem to find any footage of a beta or debug level for SA2. Odd, I'd think one could access it through Action Replay or something. Like, even in the Gamecube version.

Sonicblur at Retro already did:

Hey, remember that test level I found in the Gamecube version?

Sorry for the cam recording, I was playing over HDMI so my capture equipment wasn't set up. I was also trying to play with one hand while holding the camera.

No action replay required this time. During the Dark side story, finish Mad Space and exit the game during Rouge's boss fight against Knuckles. (I mean, completely exit. Choose Exit game, then quit the game. Load up your save file, fight knuckles, play through cosmic wall, and after it's over you'll be sent to the test level as Eggman instead of the rest of the game. You can exit out and the game will resume where it was supposed to go when you continue. There might be more to this than what I mentioned. Maybe the fact that I never died during Cosmic wall could be a requirement for this.

Edit: As Jimmy pointed out below, I wasn't the first person to run into this. But now that I went back and read that post, it's good to know that it happened to me almost the exact same way. So it should be easy for others to reproduce.

How could this even happen by simply collecting the Chao key in Cosmic Wall? They'd have to change the level values for it to do this... Maybe it was intentional? Unlikely, but it would make sense.

I'm guessing this is the main reason why there's a patch in the works.

Someone better get a HQ video soon then!

Hey does this work on the 360 version as well? I see a ton of PS3 versions but not any XB360 ones.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure if these things happened in the original, but I keep getting some odd glitches with Knuckles. When I'm gliding in a stright line, he'll randomly flip upsidedown for about half a second, and when walking his right foot twists backwards every other step. Quite funny to watch really

Hmm, I have had some weird flipping with gliding before but certainly not while in a straight line. And in fact that might have been SA1 (Knux tends to flip over briefly if you turn tightly enough) and/or Mad Space (Rouge spazzes out a fair bit in gravity-ish areas).

Ooer. Just noticed that as well as replacing life icons, they did the same for Speed Shoes. It's now uses a cut out from a modern render.

Anyone know if its possible to change the personality trait of a Chao (without spoiling it)?

One of my two chao is a "cry-baby", but I dont even know why. He is still in his early child phase (just slept once and is lvl 1, probably one hour of gameplay) I never hurted it, and never let it starve, and he never cried yet :/

Here's the third review to be posted on Metacritic from oxmonline:

http://www.oxmonline...enture-2-review

Say what you will about the very latest Sonic games like 4, but it's a little refreshing to see another reviewer starting the review by noting the upward trend in quality rather than mentioning the series' downfall for the hundredth time.

Edited by Treacher
  • Thumbs Up 2

^ Well at least they're being fair. I think the general consensus is that this game is pretty mediocre at best, so a 5 isn't bad. I personally don't understand the hate for the treasure levels and actually kind of like them. Would like them more if it had the SA1 radar but meh. That's just me.

I played a little bit more of this and planned on going to bed until I read about something funny with the hero garden's fruits. I decide to try this out myself by giving one to my chao. Lo and behold, the fruit is glitched in a not so bad way. It gives 2-3 points of stamina instead of the usual 1 per bite like any other normal garden fruit. How is this even possible? It's like it's mixed up with the mushroom but even that didn't give you 3 points of stamina. :s

Go back a few hours earlier in the day. I entered more chao races, this time doing some of the jewel ones. I decided to finish off the power race (garnet I think it was called) and my chao is doing pretty good. The main competitor is a super strong neutral chao that walks pretty slowly. I got this! All of a sudden, the super power chao gets caught in between a group of other power chao while climbing up the first wall and is instantly shot upward. He was still in his climbing animation, but he went super fast all the way to the top of the wall in like a second!

So it looks like I'm mostly experiencing weirdness with the chao stuff. This port definitely is unique to be sure. ^^;

On a side note, I played Cannon's Core today too. I don't remember SA2 being so lenient that it lets you keep you entire score even if you die partway in. I got all the way to Sonic's final part and died by being stupid. When I respawned, I expected the score to reset to 0 but no. It was the same as before I even got to Sonic. Has this always been a thing? If so, then this game is much easier than I remember it.

Edited by Coral
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here's the third review to be posted on Metacritic from oxmonline:

http://www.oxmonline...enture-2-review

Say what you will about the very latest Sonic games like 4, but it's a little refreshing to see another reviewer starting the review by noting the upward trend in quality rather than mentioning the series' downfall for the hundredth time.

That is possibly one of the shortest reviews I've ever read. Feels more like a Youtube Post in terms of length.

I was just looking at the Sonic Retro site, and I found something rather useful for those who are trying to get the 'All A Ranks achievement'. It's a table listing the requirements to obtain A to D ranks, for each of the five different mission types for every stage.

Whilst this is based on the original SA2, it looks like the requirements are identical in this months port.

Here is the link. You will need to scroll about two thirds of the way down the page to find the table.

http://info.sonicret...nic_Adventure_2

Edited by NightwingFox

Gonna go for a Chaos Chao again. Just to be clear, if I make it Hero or Dark for the first life, I can still make it Neutral later, right? It's been so long.

I believe so. I've heard people say that the Chao HAS to be the same alignment (hero, dark, neutral) throughout it's life to become a Chaos Chao, but that may not be the case. I had a Chao that I reincarnated twice as a Neutral Chao, then saved right before it was going to evolve into a Neutral Chaos Chao, and petted it with a Hero character enough to make it a Hero Chaos Chao. But that's all the information I can go on.

On a side note, I played Cannon's Core today too. I don't remember SA2 being so lenient that it lets you keep you entire score even if you die partway in. I got all the way to Sonic's final part and died by being stupid. When I respawned, I expected the score to reset to 0 but no. It was the same as before I even got to Sonic. Has this always been a thing? If so, then this game is much easier than I remember it.

You remember correctly. Normally every single SA2 level flushes your score every time you die (What's that? Got a perfect run but the game glitched you through a rail at the very end? E-RANK FOR YOU!!) But Cannon's core remembers your score between each character change, since it's technically a series of levels pasted together.

You remember correctly. Normally every single SA2 level flushes your score every time you die (What's that? Got a perfect run but the game glitched you through a rail at the very end? E-RANK FOR YOU!!) But Cannon's core remembers your score between each character change, since it's technically a series of levels pasted together.

E ranks at the end due to a stupid mistake. Story of my life haha. Well thanks! Although it was nice enough of them to do this, it also seems like it could be very abusable if you're going for the perfect A rank run. Just die if you take too much time or didn't kill enough by the end of the section. Dunno if I'd be that dedicated or patient even on a hard mode run though.

E ranks at the end due to a stupid mistake. Story of my life haha. Well thanks! Although it was nice enough of them to do this, it also seems like it could be very abusable if you're going for the perfect A rank run.

I get the impression it wasn't intentional, just an oversight of splitting a stage up between several map loads. Still, very appreciated for a marathon stage like Cannon's Core.

...Score Resetting during Cannon's Core vs Eggmanland A/S Ranking... more fodder for the "which game is harder" arguement there...

Edited by JezMM

Looks like us PS3 users got the worse version of the game (Yet again).

The 360 version seems to have more menus, and also has loading screen tips which are missing from the PS3 version.

Two examples of the loading screen tips:

XBLALoading.png

It's not a big deal at all, but it is a bit annoying.

^ What menus are ya'll missing? There's really nothing extraordinary in the Xbox version. Just the standard options, single player, multiplayer, a video, extras, etc.

As for loading screens, since ya'll don't get hints (which I honestly didn't pay much attention to in the first place), is it just a blank black screen?

OHMAHGOD OMOCHAO'S HINTS IN THE LOADING SCREEN THAT VANISHES SO FAST YOU CAN'T EVEN READ HALF OF IT, FU** YOU SEGA AND MICROSOFT, WHY YOU ALWAYS FORGET ABOUT SONY?

Serious note, I don't care about it, really. But what about that menu?

Edited by Jango

I should be allowed to bring up small differences like that without being mocked. There is no need for that at all.

^ What menus are ya'll missing? There's really nothing extraordinary in the Xbox version. Just the standard options, single player, multiplayer, a video, extras, etc.

Someone told me it's missing the 'Exit game' feature, and another couple from the help & options.

As for loading screens, since ya'll don't get hints (which I honestly didn't pay much attention to in the first place), is it just a blank black screen?

It's missing the hints & Omachao. It's just a black screen with the 'Now Loading' text.

Edited by -L-

Yeah you're not missing much. Indeed the Omochao hints are barely readable. Two displays per loading screen and the loading screens are no longer than they used to be.

I.e. The original game didn't need a "Now Loading" message because the loading pauses were completely reasonable. I do wonder why they always add them in these ports... I wonder if it's some sort of "condition" like the uniform XBLA game menus (Help & Options and all that).

I should be allowed to bring up small differences like that without being mocked. There is no need for that at all.

Sorry, I didn't meant to be rude, I just found that Omochao's hints thing silly to be worried about. But if something like the Big cameo in Wild Canyon was fixed in the XBLA version, I would be pissed.

Edited by Jango
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sorry, I didn't meant to be rude, I just found that Omochao's hints thing silly to be worried about. But if something like the Big cameo in Wild Canyon was fixed in the XBLA version, I would be pissed.

Agreed that the Big thing would be stupid!

Ok, I finally played through the whole game.

I still HATE Final Hazard. I still love Biolizard

I still want to press start and skip the credits screen, but can't.