Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 2 Discussion, Speculation, Media Topic

Stritix

Anyone got tips on how raise a Sonic Chao and how do I unlock the other Chao Gardens?

To unlock the other two Chao Gardens, you must raise a Hero Chao to unlock one, and a Dark Chao to unlock the other.

chao01.jpg

To raise a Sonic Chao, you'd need to focus on giving the Chao, running Chao Drives and Animals. (Green colour) But don't only give them to it as a Hero or Dark character. If you only give a Chao upgrades as a Hero or Dark character, you will turn that Chao into a Hero or Dark type Chao.

So give the Chao speed upgrades as both sides to keep it neutral. You'll know if it's shifting from one side or the other, by the colour it becomes. If it's turning white, it's becoming a Hero Chao, if it turns a very dark colour, it's becoming a Dark Chao.

A Sonic type Chao starts by turning green with 3 spikes starting to form on it's head. That's what you'd be aiming for.

darkmisc_chao_darkgarden.jpg

But to get the emblems, you can't focus on one type of ability. The races are to varied that they require keeping every ability high to be sure of winning comfortably. And as you win races, you unlock even tougher races. The same can be said for Chao Karate, if you got the Battle add-on.

You also unlock Hero and Dark races, but only by having both a Hero and Dark Chao. You'd also need to focus on upgrade both Chao stats as a Dark Chao can't race a Dark Chao race and vice versa. A Neutral Chao can race both, but you'd still need a Hero and Dark to unlock them. Because you get an emblem for completing each type.

Emblem Acquirement:

Races:

Win all Beginner Races

Win all Jewel Races - Unlock by winning all Beginner Races

Win all Challenge Races - Unlock by winning all Beginner Races - Note: They aren't 8 challenges...

Win all Hero Races - Unlock by raising both Hero and Dark Chao

Win all Dark Races - Unlock by raising both Hero and Dark Chao

Karate:

Win Beginner

Win Standard

Win Expert

Win Super - Unlock by winning all others

Edited by King-Boom-BooJ86
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks both of you! I'll name my Sonic chao as Snarniel, as an homage ^^ So, basically, my Sonic chao will be a runner, but poor in every other stats, huh. But what will happen if he is already 100% Sonic'd, and I give him other chao drives or animals? Will he un-transform and grow ears, tails, claws, etc?

Edited by Jango

Thanks both of you! I'll name my Sonic chao as Snarniel, as an homage ^^ So, basically, my Sonic chao will be a runner, but poor in every other stats, huh. But what will happen if he is already 100% Sonic'd, and I give him other chao drives or animals? Will he un-transform and grow ears, tails, claws, etc?

I've read that if I give my Chao warthogs, he will look even more like Sonic. So I'll collect green chao drives in City Escape and warthogs in Radical Highway, that will keep all speed attributes and the balance between good/evil char to make a neutral chao. But how about fruits? Can I give my chao some?

Edited by Jango

I've read that if I give my Chao warthogs, he will look even more like Sonic. So I'll collect green chao drives in City Escape and warthogs in Radical Highway, that will keep all speed attributes and the balance between good/evil char to make a neutral chao. But how about fruits? Can I give my chao some?

Actually, you can change a Chao's appearance quite a bit even after they have grown up. Example:

neutralrun.jpg

This is an adult "Sonic Chao," which is raised after giving it a bunch of green "speed" animals and chaos drives

Now....

runpower.jpg

This is a "Sonic Chao" that has been given a bunch of power animals after it became an adult.

If you want a complete chart of all evolutions and how they will look: http://chao.hippotan...econd-evolution

powerfly.jpgpowerpower.jpgpowerrun.jpgpowernone.jpgpowerswim.jpg

These are all adult power hero Chao. By giving them different kinds of animals and feeding them well, they will change their appearance even more.

You know, this Chao system is far more advanced than SA2 ever was. It's like the rest of the game was built entirely around the Chao Garden. And I have no problem with that!

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 1

Aw))! Just like in good old times... Discussing Sonic adventure 2 and Chao gardens). This is so heart-warming! :)

Maybe it will give SEGA enough attention to realise that fans want a new Chao garden^^.

• Thumbs Up 1

That noise that he would make when he turned around always annoyed the heck out of me. "NYEH HAH HAH HAH HAH HOO"!

I still remember homing-attacking the corner in the normal gardens to fly outside of the boundaries. Then my chao would inexplicably drown... in dirt. Because logic.

Fun times.

That noise actually kinda scared me the first time I played SA2 back in 2001. Not because I was actually scared of noises, but I wasn't paying attention and it caught me off guard.

Actually, you can change a Chao's appearance quite a bit even after they have grown up.

That's right! I'd forgotten that.

It's strange though. The two main Chao I've been raising haven't changed in appearance at all, since becoming adults. Maybe it's because I'm not focusing on one attribute, and am continuing to give then random stuff to raise all their abilities... *shrugs*

That's right! I'd forgotten that.

It's strange though. The two main Chao I've been raising haven't changed in appearance at all, since becoming adults. Maybe it's because I'm not focusing on one attribute, and am continuing to give then random stuff to raise all their abilities... *shrugs*

They change very, very slowly after first their evolutions. So you have to factor in that too. And yeah, if you don't push them one way they won't change too much either.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, people seriously have got all A's!

Is the Green Hill stage still there?

I've been doing a playthrough so I haven't even finished Hero Story yet

WOW, my chao has evolved! I think I made everything right, the doctor said he is a neutral/run type. He is currently green with 3 quills, to become blue I should give him even more green drives with Sonic, huh? I'm also raising a hero chao, giving him all kinds of chao drives and animals to be a very balanced chao. And since I only peting him with Sonic and Tails, I'm sure he will become a hero chao, he's already pretty "white-ish", it's so cute. Also gave him a hero fruit, just to be 100% sure. And hey, how do I grow a tree? I've bought a triangule fruit seed, but how do I plant it? I just need to put it on the grass and wait?

Oh, and I got all A ranks, yay, that's the first time I got this in SA2. Just need the chaos emblems to unlock Green Hill for the first time too hehe

Edited by Jango
  • Thumbs Up 1

WOW, my chao has evolved! I think I made everything right, the doctor said he is a neutral/run type. He is currently green with 3 quills, to become blue I should give him even more green drives with Sonic, huh? I'm also raising a hero chao, giving him all kinds of chao drives and animals to be a very balanced chao. And since I only peting him with Sonic and Tails, I'm sure he will become a hero chao, he's already pretty "white-ish", it's so cute. Also gave him a hero fruit, just to be 100% sure. And hey, how do I grow a tree? I've bought a triangule fruit seed, but how do I plant it? I just need to put it on the grass and wait?

Oh, and I got all A ranks, yay, that's the first time I got this with SA2. Just need the chaos emblems to unlock Green Hill for the first time too hehe

To grow a tree, you need a Chao who's won the water pail and the shovel from the Beginner Race. I do not recall exactly which two races you need to complete, but you need to finish all three rounds in first place. When you have a Chao that has both toys, you can give them the seed and they will walk around to find a spot, then they'll plant it and water it. Then they'll do a little dance and a little sprout will grow!

The tree takes a while to fully grow, and after it's been around for a while, it will die off. There's also a limit to the amount of trees that can be planted at one time. But as long as you have at least one Chao with the water pail and the shovel, you will always be able to plant a seed.

(If you're curious, the other two toy prizes are a model car and a book. It's cute to watch your Chao play with them, but the only 'useful' prizes are the water pail and shovel.)

Edited by Indigo Rush

curious question, when your chao dies/reincarnates as a baby neutral again... does it lose all it's items it's won from races, and forget everything it learned in school? i never dived deep into the chao system, besides having a Sonic, Shadow and Amy chao on the gamecube, i'm just raising a hero & dark for now to get the other gardens and the achievement.

curious question, when your chao dies/reincarnates as a baby neutral again... does it lose all it's items it's won from races, and forget everything it learned in school? i never dived deep into the chao system, besides having a Sonic, Shadow and Amy chao on the gamecube, i'm just raising a hero & dark for now to get the other gardens and the achievement.

Dunno about that, but the good part of having a reincarnated chao, is that you can rise a Chaos chao. I believe you need to give him one of each animal (at least in SADX works like that).

yeah it's also the way you can get a SSSS Stat chao, it takes ages but pays off in the end

Depends on your definition of paying off... I have a Neutral, Power Type Chao, all stats 99 (thanks to glitch), and so far, I haven't lost a single race. In fact, I can safely say that I know I will win all of them.

Cool to have, for sure. But is it worth all the hours spent?

I believe that karate and race rewards/badges stay with the chao for the rest of their life. Most of my chao have all at least completed the beginner races, so when they reincarnate they usually still have that blue badge on them. Not too sure if they keep things they learned from school though. :c

Well i just completed the port 100% with all Menu Themes, the Maria theme can be unlocked by normal means unlike the GC port where apparently you had to link your game to Sonic Advance 1 or 2.

Final thoughts: The worst version of this game since it has more glitches, the sound issues i felt like they seemed even worse and of course you can't get a special chao or trade chao from a save file to another like you could in the GC port.

My advice: unless you're an achievement/trophy collector just keep playing the DC or the GC version.

I think this has already been mentioned, but I just got to say that I adore the running (skating) animation of Shadow in SA2. Just watching Shadow pick up speed as he runs downhill - the skating motion getting quicker - really does look so good. I think I prefer Shadow's running animation to Sonic's.

Since I enjoy playing as Shadow so much, it feels such a shame that you only get to play as him in 4 out of the 16 stages (in the Dark story). Sonic himself only has 6 stages (in the Hero story). I think a better split would have been 8 stages each for Sonic and Shadow. Tails/Knuckles and Eggman/Rouge to have 4 stages each. After all, I still prefer the speed gameplay in this game over the shooting and exploration.

Edited by NightwingFox
  • Thumbs Up 3

One of the things that I always thought was funny is that Shadow's best stage is the first one.

Eh, personally, I prefer Final Chase over Radical Highway. I really dig those gravity drums.

• Thumbs Up 1

Final Chase would be kinda cool if the gravity drums actually worked the way they were intended to more than 25% of the time.

• Thumbs Up 2