Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 2 Discussion, Speculation, Media Topic

Stritix

Yeah, well.. All that control in Sonic Adventure 2 is lost the second you hop on a grind rail.

True... but there's nothing to control in Generations the second you hop on a grind rail.

• Thumbs Up 5

I find that most rails in SA2 are actually pretty easy to control, with the exception of that one curved one in City Escape, or a few in Final Rush. I dunno, I've almost never run into control issues regarding grinding in SA2.

• Thumbs Up 2

I find that most rails in SA2 are actually pretty easy to control, with the exception of that one curved one in City Escape, or a few in Final Rush. I dunno, I've almost never run into control issues regarding grinding in SA2.

Yeah, the only time I have trouble is the rails that have the 90 degree turns in City Escape. I think Heroes' rails were best, but SA2's was good too. You have to keep Sonic centered on said rail in SA2, and with the exception being the rails on City Escape, I find it very easy.

Are these comparisons really necessary?

not really, but I enjoy making comparisons, unless it is, let's say, SA1 graphics vs Unleashed graphics.

True... but there's nothing to control in Generations the second you hop on a grind rail.

Except the part about constantly dodging obstacles that can kill you.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 3

Constantly? are we playing the same game? :l

• Thumbs Up 4

The controls are definitely going to vary from person to person, and I don't see where this can really go other than "They felt this way to me, no they felt THAT way compared to THIS to me"

But I think the notion that just because one type gives you more control means it's better doesn't really hold up that well once you consider the lack of automation in Sonic Adventure was the reason the game was so buggy in the first place. And then in 06 we have plenty of control over the characters when they hit a dash pad, enough to become uncontrollable instead.

The Modern games might be a little more automated but at least they seem more solid? I think that's the right word.

Just attempted to get the A rank in Cosmic Wall Mission 5 (Hard Mode). The target is 100,000 points. I got 99,700.

That is total agony.

EDIT: Tries again 30 minutes later.

This time, 103,290 points = A rank. Yes!!!

Edited by NightwingFox

Just attempted to get the A rank in Cosmic Wall Mission 5 (Hard Mode). The target is 100,000 points. I got 99,700.

That is total agony.

EDIT: Tries again 30 minutes later.

This time, 103,290 points = A rank. Yes!!!

Pro tip for that stage: Those big cannon things during the rail sections are worth insanely high points. Shoot all of them, even if it means interrupting your combo. I got almost a 120.000 points just for spamming rockets every time they came into view.

has anyone decided to mod the pc version of sonic adventure 2 yet

There is no PC version yet.

You mean that quick stepping that's no different from doing the same thing on regular ground and therefore makes grinding totally redundant?

Switching rails and even landing on them in SA2 is hell. But the balancing system and lack of a boost more than makes up for that by ensuring grinding is actually fun and involving.

Edited by Blue Blood

The only problem with SA2's physics for me was sonic and shadow's speed was kinda slow. If you play that beginning section of Pyramid Cave with sonic you'll know what I'm talking about. Also the mech controls should've been more fluid like in SA1.

Other than that SA2 still feels like the best handling. I can turn and collect any ring and not fall off the edge of cliff with total ease.

I don't get the complaints about having trouble running in a straight line either.

To be honest the rail switching is only a problem for me if you try to switch while the rail is turning at a curve. But if I switch when the rail is straight, I don't have a problem.

What I don't understand is the man who created SA2's controls and physics, Tetsu Katano is also responsible for the awful controls in Heroes as well as contributing to the controls in Secret Rings. I just don't get what happened to him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Adventure 2's Sonic has the worst running animation in a 3D Sonic game. Unless running downhill, Sonic does not feel fast at all, and I hate him for that.

It's as bad as Sonic 4: Episode I's.

• Thumbs Up 1

What I don't understand is the man who created SA2's controls and physics, Tetsu Katano is also responsible for the awful controls in Heroes as well as contributing to the controls in Secret Rings. I just don't get what happened to him.

Perhaps they were experimenting with how the physics could work at higher speeds? Heroes feels like the characters accelerate much quicker and maintain a generally faster speed than SA/2 to me. Dunno what to say about what happened with Secret Rings though.

I never ever had to balance on any rail in any part of this game. I always rev up a spindash/spindash jump and get on to the rail and just hold O and nothing else. Sure, you can do it the way to expect you to but really, this is much easier and faster. I don't really care for the balancing mechanic anyways.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never ever had to balance on any rail in any part of this game. I always rev up a spindash/spindash jump and get on to the rail and just hold O and nothing else. Sure, you can do it the way to expect you to but really, this is much easier and faster. I don't really care for the balancing mechanic anyways.

This is how I do it. I always felt I was doing more harm than good trying to balance things.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is there a glitch with GC/XBLA/PSN version of the game with the Chao Doctor? I can only ever get him to tell me that my Chao is 'very healthy', I noticed it in the GC version when I was a kid and even though its been even longer since I played the DC version I'm sure he actually gives you good feedback in the original version?

That's because Heroes was on a different game engine than the Adventure titles (they rather clumsily switched to Renderware so they could make the porting process easier), and Secret Rings was waggle bullshit (and launch window waggle bullshit at that). Can't really be blamed for either of those things.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 7

Is there a glitch with GC/XBLA/PSN version of the game with the Chao Doctor? I can only ever get him to tell me that my Chao is 'very healthy', I noticed it in the GC version when I was a kid and even though its been even longer since I played the DC version I'm sure he actually gives you good feedback in the original version?

Really? I thought he was just trolling when he goes:

"Oh dear, this looks very bad-"

"-your Chao is very healthy. Please take good care of him."

• Thumbs Up 6

TSSZ article, SA2 is 3rd top seller for Xbox live after three weeks.

"The Major Nelson charts for the week of October 15th show SA2 in the 3rd spot overall. That not only means strong, consistent sales week to week since the early October launch, it also likely means SA2 took the top spot if not the week of October 1st, but perhaps the week of the 8th as well. Without question, that’s a stronger debut than Sonic 4: Episode II on the service, and perhaps better than Christian Whitehead’s Sonic CD."

http://www.tssznews....eks-of-release/

This is good news for SEGA.

EDIT: The list of best sellers on Xbox can be viewed via this link:

http://majornelson.com/2012/10/24/live-activity-for-week-of-october-15/

Edited by NightwingFox
  • Thumbs Up 7

Came here to express a bit of frustration I have with this game. I was playing a Knuckles level (Pyramid Cave?) and I spent 20 minutes looking for the last piece of the Master Emerald. I had to restart the level again because I gave up looking. However minutes later when I browsed the internet, people were having problems with this game that the pieces of the Master Emerald are not spawning properly. So you aimlessly look around for the piece of the Master Emerald and the radar may not simply work.

If this glitch happened in the older versions, blimey. Best 3D Sonic game my backside. This glitch honestly can kill people inside.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana
  • Thumbs Up 2

See, I've heard of that "glitch", but don't really believe it. I've spent near an hour looking for pieces before when I was younger and did manage to find them in the end. Death Chamber (Knuckles desert stage) is perhaps the worst offender, because it's all set in different rooms it's very possible that the radar won't bleep at all until you find the right room by which point it instantly goes to yellow or even red.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yep, sorry I got the name wrong. It's Death Chamber. D=

I don't know. When I restarted the stage, it took me around 8 minutes to find all pieces. I pretty sure I looked everywhere, and the radar wasn't picking up anything at all.

But really, you shouldn't spend an hour looking for one piece of the Master Emerald. That's crazy. I mean, if I didn't restart I'll probably hit that mark. Which other platforming game has a level that can take up to an hour for an average gamer?! (Don't get confused between chapters and levels!) Then the annoying hints those computers give you which hardly helps at all. Like for example, "In the ground." Okay, how is that suppose to help anyone?! Completely useless!

I really do fear of Knuckles' last stage I have yet to go through. Treasure hunting levels in this game sucks. And I really, really liked Knuckles stages in Adventure 1. The hint bubbles in Adventure 1 showing you the way the next piece is, is a trillion times better than those most of the time useless computer hints.

• Thumbs Up 2