Awoo.

Unpopular Gaming Opinions!

King Frosty

I've played one console Pokemon game (XD: Gale of Darkness) and...I think I enjoy it more than the handheld games. I liked the story and I even appreciate that it's a bit more difficult than the mainstream Pokemon titles (that might just be me sucking at vidya gaems though :P). I'd love to see more console Pokemon games, as long as they don't end up being "just like the handheld ones, but now on consoles!! 8D". I say that as someone who still loves the main Pokemon series, too.

I think the concept of silent protagonists is a bit silly, although I admit it does fit with certain series (Pokemon and other RPG games for one, as well as when it makes some sense in-universe, i.e. Portal). Heck, I wouldn't mind Link being able to speak for real in the future...well, in text anyway. VAs might not work out too well, y'know.

A Nintendo console with just 1st party games does not > A console with a strong 3rd party lineup.

Eesh, lounge. Get a grip, ja? This isn't the "bitching about people who don't agree with you" topic.

Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz's single player is possibly the best in the series for me, and I actually liked the inclusion of jumping and bosses

I actually prefer a lot of the more modern pokemon designs than many from the original games

I've like every pokemon spin-off I've played (Rangers, Mystery Dungeon, Rumble, etc)

I prefer Brawl over Melee

I have a lot of fun with the New Super Mario Bros games

I could never get into the Legend of Zelda series aside from Wind Waker

Edited by Cero

Nintendo should focus less on Mario, Zelda, & Metroid, and focus of making more installments of other IPs iike Punch Out, Donkey Kong, a new Mach Rider, a console Kid Icarus, a new Fire Emblem, F-Zero, Star Fox, etc.

I honestly wish Nintendo was the one that went 3rd instead of Sega.

Zidane, Tidus and Vaan Balthier were awesome cheery characters though. They only got emotional when it was dramatic.

Ah, even though Tidus was more often cheerful than not, his entire schtick as a character was to be an insecure teenager who wanted his dad to respect him, even though his dad always did but was bad at showing it. He was a very annoying character to me for this reason, and his voice (and acting in general) really did not help. And though Zidane or Vaan might be exceptions (I skipped out on Final Fantasy IX and XII anyways)

, Lightning is the most blatant Cloud retread ever, with a close second being Squall. Still more retreads than I'd prefer.

So, was going to put all of my opinions but seeing as how some of them have already been mentioned by other members, I'll just put in the ones I didn't see in this topic. I get a feeling that I might get called out on some of these because sometimes I feel like I'm just nitpicking when expressing negative Opinions... That's why I tend not to share them. Still, I might as well, since I've been wanting to express these.

I didn't like Majora's Mask's three day time limit.

I'm sorry guys, I know how many people loved the time limit in this game... Sure at least you got to keep the more important items but for me it just felt unsatisfying to go back in time once I finished a side quest.

Starfox 64 is overrated.

I played it for so long, that it's kinda boring now and way too easy. I know a lot of people say that it's aged well... Honestly, it sure didn't for me. :/ Don't get me wrong, it's far from a bad game, I just think it's kinda overhyped.

Kirby's Epic Yarn was Boring.

I think I've complained quite a bit about this game, but I'll just say it.

Kirby's Epic Yarn had to be the worst Kirby game I've ever played. Kirby games are notorious for being easy, but what I loved about the Kirby series was how you could have any ability you wanted in every level... However, with Kirby's epic Yarn, there were no abilities to use.

No, I do not consider the transformations (The tank, the UFO, ect) abilities... If I can't dink around the levels with special powers, then I can't call them that. In addition, the level design just didn't look or feel like a Kirby game until the end.

Mischief Makers was only average.

I'd better be careful as to how I say this. I know that the fans of this game are pretty rabid. tongue.png

Don't get me wrong, I think Mischief Makers is fun, however I didn't think it was as incredible as everyone makes it out to be. This is just a personal nitpick but I really hated using the D-pad to control, mostly because I'm so used to using the control stick. Like I said though, that part is probably just a nitpick...

What I didn't like however was the boring level design. Sure, every level had an interesting gimmick for the level, but most of the designs felt too way too simple with the same platforms and blocks for every level... Plus there's something about the NPCs that are just bug me...

Starfox Assault's on-foot missions weren't that bad.

I actually thought they were pretty damn fun. Come at me bros.

I didn't like Super Paper Mario's darker Storyline

Yeah, this is probably the most praised part of Super Paper Mario... But honestly, it really didn't sit well for me. The first Paper Mario had a pretty lighthearted, typical Mario-esque story for the most part, and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door kept a good balance between lighthearted and dark. Super Paper Mario however just didn't feel like something you'd see in a Mario game, dealing with a Romeo and Juliet type romance, end of all worlds (Even one that actually gets destroyed) and even going to the Mario equivalent of hell. I see nothing but praise regarding the dark storyline... But really, I didn't like it.

Overall, I'm probably not that used to seeing cuteish looking characters in in surprisingly dark situations... That was one of my gripes with some of the Sonic games from SA2 to Sonic 06, but that opinion's pretty common so that's another story.

And that's about all that I can think of at the moment...

Edited by Wayward Vagabond
  • Thumbs Up 1

Eesh, lounge. Get a grip, ja? This isn't the "bitching about people who don't agree with you" topic.

I'm joking everytime I say f all of you.

Super Mario 64 DS was better than the original SM64.

And the controls worked perfectly well, I didn't find them any less precise than the original's controls.

I truly, honestly have no idea why everyone else seems to have problems with the controls. Is everyone else playing it wrong, or am I doing something no one else is doing, or something? If it makes any difference, when playing that game I notice I put my entire thumb over the d-pad and lean it in different directions, simulating an analog stick, rather than pressing one direction at a time.

(By the way, same goes for Kid Icarus: Uprising, actually. Although in that case, I do understand people's problems with the controls, it's just that I figured out that sitting down and balancing the 3DS on my knee completely solves it.)

• Thumbs Up 1

tongue.png Same thing happened with Sonic Rush Adventure. Marine, you sack of shit...

This this this! FUCK that useless character.

I would like for Rocksteady to make a Superman game. Wouldn't it be nice for the man of steel to have a good game for once?

• Thumbs Up 4

I would like for Rocksteady to make a Superman game. Wouldn't it be nice for the man of steel to have a good game for once?

Screw that. Let Rocksteady make a spider-man game. GOTY right there!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

Majora's Mask was the best 3D Zelda.

Ya know how in most Zelda games you can give Link a goofy name that will frequently change the tone of whatever is being said when someone says his name? Well, that doesn't work at all in Majora's Mask because the dialog is actually conversationally written so Link just has a goofy name.

Blast Corps is one of Rare's finest works.

Blast Corps is the only Rare game I've played that can imagine spending any more time with at this point. I can't help but wonder how many times Rare stacked that same barrel on top of itself to make the pirate ship levels in DKC. I suppose I'm somewhat uncommon in not really caring that much about what's happened to Rare.

Rocksteady says they can't make a Superman game.

Kirby's Epic Yarn was Boring.

I recall playing through a level of epic yarn in a store and liking it well enough until I got to one of those guys with the electric eye power things and just got mad at the game.

The combat in Arkam Asylum is really bad. My initial impressions of this game were so bad that I didn't even bother finishing the demo.

Bayonetta's combat isn't very deep, just swing and dodge. I like Ninja Gaiden II a lot more.

Screw that. Let Rocksteady make a spider-man game. GOTY right there!!!

Too bad Beenox beat them to that *trollface*

I also Want them to do a wonder woman and Static Shock game.

Ocarina of Time is the least good 3D Zelda. Don't get me wrong, it's fine, but next to every one of its successors it just feels bland today. It barely takes advantage of its time-travel gimmick, the plot's half-baked and (sorry) most of the characters are fairly dull. It's just kind of... basic; not as weird as Majora's Mask, as expansive as Twilight Princess, as polished as Skyward Sword or as pretty as Wind Waker.

On a similar note, I prefer 2D Zelda to 3D Zelda, and the Game Boy games are the best of the 2D games. A large part of this is personal bias since Link's Awakening was one of my first games ever, but there's something that just works for me about 2D Zeldas, and I feel like LA and the Oracle games were the absolute pinnacle of that formula. They were quirky and fun, but also consummately polished and really pretty for their time. The puzzles were fun, the bosses were great (well, in the Oracle games, anyway), the gimmicks all worked well, and Link's Awakening had one of the most memorable video game stories ever, simple as it was. And yes, ALttP is the Ocarina of the 2D games to me. Good but bland.

I like every Zelda art style. One of the great things about that series is that you never quite know what you're going to get, visually; there are games with art styles that I'd never want to see take over the series (Twilight Princess, mainly), but I'm totally cool with them as one-off experiments. I wish other game series would adopt this approach; I'd play the hell out of a toon Metroid.

The Mass Effect games are kind of boring and the role-playing elements are unsatisfying. I like the setting, and the games are undeniably well-written and well-voice-acted, but I just can't deal with shooting enemies with the same two or three guns for 40 hours. There's not enough customization to keep me interested. The dialogue system feels restrictive compared to the simpler one from KotOR and Jade Empire, and it misreads my intentions a lot more often than I'm comfortable with. Still decent games, but... yeah.

Jade Empire is my favourite Bioware game. The combat's a bit repetitive and it's kind of short, but it looks great, the music is amazing and the story's a lot of fun. Most of Bioware's other games that I really like got even better sequels by Obsidian, but Jade Empire is unique.

Mega Man 6 is my favourite classic Mega Man game. This is possibly because it's super easy and I'm terrible at Mega Man, but I also adore the Punch-Out!-style national stereotype robot masters and the Rush armour upgrades. More robots need to wear other robots.

I didn't like Bioshock much. It was alright, but the all-audio plot didn't do much for me and I got really tired of cramped indoor locations by the end. Also, this is probably my own fault, but I was so sick of conserving ammo by about two-thirds of the way through the game that I ended up playing through to the end pretty much just with the crowbar and that static shock power, which really shouldn't be a thing in a shooter.

Deus Ex 2 wasn't that bad. Not as good as the first by a fair margin, but taken on its own it was a good enough RPG/shooter. The Omar appreciate this game.

I like Dragon Quest better than Final Fantasy. I love me some FFIX, FFV, FFVI... even FFVIII on a good day, but I'll take goofy puns over melodrama nine times out of ten. Akira Toriyama's monster designs are fantastic, even if the poor guy can only draw two and a half human faces, and there's something quaint today about the very traditional European fantasy setting. The gameplay may not have evolved much over the years, but classic turn-based RPG goodness is something I don't think I'll ever get tired of.

Banjo and Kazooie's redesigns for Nuts & Bolts look totally fine. I've actually never played a BK game in my life, but I remember the subject of their redesign coming up a few months ago and I was honestly baffled by the number of people who hate the way they look now. I don't really get it; does giving Kazooie eyelashes really change all that much?

I do not have a strong opinion on military first-person shooters. I play them sometimes with friends. They're okay.

Edited by Octarine

^ I really don't mind FPS to be honest. I think they're decent. I just hate it when people dick ride these games as if they were hand crafted by god himself.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mischief Makers was only average.

I'd better be careful as to how I say this. I know that the fans of this game are pretty rabid. tongue.png

Don't get me wrong, I think Mischief Makers is fun, however I didn't think it was as incredible as everyone makes it out to be. This is just a personal nitpick but I really hated using the D-pad to control, mostly because I'm so used to using the control stick. Like I said though, that part is probably just a nitpick...

What I didn't like however was the boring level design. Sure, every level had an interesting gimmick for the level, but most of the designs felt too way too simple with the same platforms and blocks for every level... Plus there's something about the NPCs that are just bug me...

Edited by JezMM

I also Want them to do a wonder woman and Static Shock game.

Considering this is a Sonic forum:

-Mario is better than Sonic, and always was, could possibly always be better considering the way things are going. Shit, Nintendo is better than SEGA.

-I just do not care for the God of War series, I tried to get into it and found myself bored out of my mind. Just give me DMC 1, 3, and 4 kthx.

-I actually like Brawl more than Melee. Mainly because, I hated dropping like a brick on Melee. Project M is cool stuff but, the cool part about it is the character move alterations and not the Melee physics.

-Mortal Kombat is the shittiest 2D plane fighter I've ever played

-This might be a case of the smaller crowd being louder but, Skyward Sword is my favorite 3D Zelda so far, and I LIKE the Motion controls.

-The first generation of Pokemon are not the best, I honestly prefer Gen IV and V. Game wise, RBY are also the worst games in the series (and this is coming from someone who was with Pokemon from the start).

Edit: Octarine just reminded me

-I also prefer Dragon Quest to Final Fantasy. Dragon Quest VIII is still one of my favorite RPGs ever.

Edited by Crow T. Robot

Skyward Sword is incredibly divisive, it's hard to tell which controversial opinion is which with that one. I haven't finished it yet but I'm certainly enjoying it more than Twilight Princess so there's that.

I don't have any really super controversial opinions to list but right off the top of my head I can say; Duke Nukem Forever was relatively good. Earthbound is a shitty game. Mother 3 is decent, but with overstated quality, predictable twists and an overestimated "sad story" that makes it kind of laughable. Kudos to the devoted guys who translated the thing but by god someone stop that noise.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, got another one. I do not care for the Uncharted series. It's just...I don't know. It's hard to explain but, I'm sick of Naughty Dog and Uncharted. I much preferred Jak & Daxter but, they're like "NOPE NOPE, CAN'T DO IT", which kind of means they're admitting they suck now? I don't know.

Ah, that reminded me; I don't like Earthbound much either. I like its visual style and its weird humour, and I can even stomach the super-old-school combat (again, I'm a Dragon Quest fan), but as far as I'm concerned an RPG can give me a party of customizable/recruitable blank slates or a party of set characters with personalities; if it gives me both that's great, but I'm going to have a hard time staying motivated if it gives me neither. Earthbound is pretty much a neither game, which almost makes the quirky dialogue a point against it because only the NPCs ever get to actually say any of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't like Zelda that much. I mean, I enjoy the games when I play them, but they don't get me crazy hyped or anything. They're decent fun, nice atmosphere and shit, but I dunno, I can't get as into the series as a lot of people.

Same with Metroid, actually, but I like this one less. I played Super Metroid, and it's real good, and Metroid 1 is alright (though it's aged pretty badly), but I never had much of a desire to get into the series beyond that. I wouldn't mind giving the Primes a shot one of these days, but I just never got around to it.

Pac-Man World 2 is an underrated masterpiece.

Crash Bandicoot was Naughty Dog's best franchise. That is not to shit on Jak or Uncharted, I love those as well, but I still have yet to see them make a game that tops Crash. This is probably just me being a nostalgiafag though.

Super Mario RPG isn't very fun. Paper Mario>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Donkey Kong 64 was good. THough I can see where people are coming from with the "too much shit" criticism, I still really love the game.

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts is a good game, even if it's not the Banjo-Threeie we had hoped for.

Some of the post Naughty Dog Crash Bandicoot games are actually kinda not shit.

I don't care for Assassin's Creed. Something about it just doesn't click with me at all.

Most games you like are actually kinda shit.

Most games I like are actually kinda shit.

Every game ever is actually kinda shit.