Awoo.

Unpopular Gaming Opinions!

King Frosty

Dragon Age Origins has a great story, great characters and a brilliant soundtrack.

But holy shit is the combat AWFUL. It's lame, feels too much like an MMORPG and it's a drag to keep switching between team members to do stuff. I know it's supposed to be tactical but I want to actually attack an enemy, not guide it towards an enemy and watch it fight. It just doesn't feel satisfying when I kill a dragon with an automated finishing kill. Sure it looks awesome, but I want to do something!

Maybe there was one thing that Dragon Age 2 did right and that was the change of gameplay mechanics!

• 1 year later...

Alright, I'm aware that it's been a while since anybody's posted here, and I do apologize for that, but I just barely found this thread and I REALLY wanted to post some of my thoughts here. This will probably be the only time I ever bump an old thread, but hey, at least it's not like nobody's posted here in 6 years or something...

-First and foremost, I hate joystick/analog stick control. I know some of you might call that nitpicking, but you gotta remember; control lasts throughout the entire game. Y'know, minus cutscenes and whatnot...

-The original Rayman is the only good Rayman game out there, in my honest opinion. Aside from the fact that we just jumped from a cheerful, colorful world full of cartoony characters and environments to a dark, depressing world full of less-cartoony-looking pirates with no explanation or gap bridge between games and worlds, none of the other Rayman games have nearly the amount of charm, detail, polish, or replay value that the original game had.

-Continuing from the last opinion, Rayman Origins is moderately okay, but I REALLY wish they didn't make Rayman and Globox look so mentally-challenged. Seriously, just look at their stances; it's like they don't even have fully-developed brains yet. Another thing that bugs me about Origins is that, for the most part, Rayman controls and feels EXACTLY like Donkey Kong does in Donkey Kong Country Returns. I do like DKCR, but Rayman should never feel that heavy or slow. Ever. Again, all of these might be nitpicks, but...meh.

Oh, yeah, and the new character designs for Betilla and Moskito can suck it. And any other characters I'm forgetting.

-I cannot stand Sonic Adventure 2. I haven't played SA1 yet, but I have the feeling I probably won't care for that game, either.

-Crash Bandicoot 2 is MILES (Prower) better than Crash 3. Come at me.

I could go on, but I think I'll stop here.

- I don't really get or understand the big hype about Earthbound

- Sonic water levels are not that bad, and Labyrinth Zone is awesome. The water drowning music is not that scary.

- Mario games are really overated, most of the time it's just the same thing, just tweaked a little bit, or graphics upgrade.

- I love Zelda games, expect Link To The Past, just don't understand all the hype, though the 3DS sequel is amazing.

-  Halo is overated, same with Call Of Duty

- Grand Theft Auto is just disgusting, and not really fun or enjoyable at all. Not to mention, degrades women.

- Final Fantasy IX is the best Final Fantasy game

Banjo-Kazooie is terrible and strange, just never enjoyed it, and never understood why people went crazy over it, and sometimes even preferred it over Crash, Spyro, Sonic or even sometimes Mario. Just, what ?

- I believe in the Game Theory episode that Mario is just a huge animal abusing twat, abusive to his brother Luigi and is just a all around, giant ass, and it's annoying how most Mario fans turn a blind eye to this, or ignore it.

Even though it's not 2013 anymore, Luigi still, all the way. 

- I'm not sure if this is unpopular or not, but Castlevania needs to go back to the style that they had on the DS and GBA. More Soma Cruz.

So - assuming this two-year bump gets let off...

I'll drop one in here: Call of Duty has still been pretty decent post-CoD4.

Rayman Origins, while a great and welcome addition to the series after the shovelware that was Raving Rabbids, I don't really find to be all that spectacular. It has very fun moments, but there are times where the game feels like it gets old.

Also, I'm legitimately baffled as to why people say the swimming levels in this game the best ones ever made in a game. I found these levels to be just as frustrating as any other swimming levels I've ever played and I actually put off finishing Rayman Origins for a long time due to this.

I find the The Hero of Time saga (Aka the 64 games) of Legend of Zelda to be very overrated. Sure, Ocarina of Time was revolutionary for the era, and Majora's Mask took a unique approach to the that hasn't been done, but Ocarina of Time just doesn't have that same charm  it has when you first play through it, and Majora's Mask just feels too short and the time limit makes me feel more rushed than terrified. Though if I had to chose, I think Majora's Mask would be the better game.

I never found 02, the final boss of Kirby 64, to be scary... I mean, come on! He has a giant band-aid on his head! you can make it as gruesome as you want it to, you can throw in as much blood stains as possible but at the end of the day, it's a giant flippin band-aid! That, and the fact that his weak spot looks like he's crapping out a giant cactus.

I dunno how unpopular this opinion is... but I've noticed quite a bit of people saying that they'd rather have a Luigi platformer over Luigi's Mansion. Truth be told, I'm perfectly happy with Luigi's Mansion. Luigi's mansion feels more like a unique game, which I feel is pretty appropriate, considering Luigi became his own character over the years, rather than just your typical "Player 2" clone. I think a Luigi platformer would end up feeling like another Mario game but with Luigi in the place of Mario. 

Puzzles-wise and stoy-wise, the Runaway trilogy is better than the first two Broken Sword games.

Humor-wise, Brian Basco will never be as funny as George Stobbart

I so far hate the look of Final Fantasy XV.

If I may ask, why do you find it so unappealing as compared to, say, Final Fantasy XIII?

If I may ask, why do you find it so unappealing as compared to, say, Final Fantasy XIII?

I want to answer this, but maybe later I'm not in the mood right now to type down all the reasons. But that's why this thread is called "unpopular gaming opinions" DX

I'll come back to this later though, count me on it...

Mind if I ask what you thought was wrong with the look of XIII?

'Cause, y'know, *visually* XIII was the best yet.

*Cait Sith has always been and will always remain my favourite FFVII character (i say this because from what i recall, he's one of the most hated), and i don't like the fact that it was diminished a lot in the rest of the Compilation;

*As i stated countless times, i find both the Uncharted series and The Last of Us extremely boring and monotone. Sure, the latter has some improvements, but Naughty Dog has done better in the past;

*I want the Final Fantasy series to go back to its turn-based combat roots, not becoming more and more a watered down hack 'n slash;

*I want a sequel to PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale that is treated with the same care and love as it is the current Super Smash Bros.;

*I like both the classic Castlevania series and the Lords of Shadow series;

*I really liked the 2009 Bionic Commando and Dark Void;

*I prefer the first Prototype over the first inFamous;

*I'm not liking so far the presentation and the gameplay of Tales of Symphonia;

*I never really got into the omgbeautifulness of Xenogears entirely;

Not so much an opinion, but I'm not really that interested in inFamous. I only got and downloaded the game because it was offered free on PSN due to the whole PSN shutdown fiasco. Maybe I will get around to actually investing some time with it someday, who knows.

Mind if I ask what you thought was wrong with the look of XIII?

'Cause, y'know, *visually* XIII was the best yet.

I didn't state my thoughts on that game's visuals. I mentioned it because of my prior knowledge of Ming being a big fan of that game miniseries in particular. Specifically, the question I posted previously is asking exactly what about Final Fantasy XV that she dislikes as compared as the previous main (non-MMO) Final Fantasy title. As is, her statement was not only extremely vague, but also, frankly, came across as a wee bit reactionary to all the pointlessly snarky hubbub over XIII (especially, as of Lightning Returns).

I like FPS's, I think they're some of the best multiplayer experiences outside of Fighting games. Nor do I think the genre has gotten anymore stale than any other major genre out there.

I dunno if this is unpopular or not buuuut...

I wish Naughty Dog could go back to doing cartoony games again instead of all this seriuz bizness stuff in recent games. I mean, the Uncharted trilogy is fine and whilst I really, REALLY like Last of Us it certainly doesn't have that ND charm that even friggin Uncharted had. Now I hear there's another Uncharted game coming out and I'm like wut. Let's see something new and original again on the PS4, preferably cartoony a la Jak and Daxter.

I agree... I mean its getting so bad some people(like Bob Rafei) are jumping ship, the problem is that being a first party studio a lot of there game concepts have to be approved by sony, and they seem to be pushing away from cartoony

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno if this is unpopular or not buuuut...

I wish Naughty Dog could go back to doing cartoony games again instead of all this seriuz bizness stuff in recent games. I mean, the Uncharted trilogy is fine and whilst I really, REALLY like Last of Us it certainly doesn't have that ND charm that even friggin Uncharted had. Now I hear there's another Uncharted game coming out and I'm like wut. Let's see something new and original again on the PS4, preferably cartoony a la Jak and Daxter.

Another unpopular opinion. I don't really like The Last of Us. Or Uncharted 3.

My love for Naughty Dog is slowly going. Uncharted 2 is currently my last ND game I enjoyed.

I didn't get halfwhat interested in Watch_Dogs until people started saying it doesn't look interesting anymore.

It's weird.

I want to answer this, but maybe later I'm not in the mood right now to type down all the reasons. But that's why this thread is called "unpopular gaming opinions" DX

I'll come back to this later though, count me on it...

I think by now you should know we ask for at least a few sentences worth of explanation in your posts.  For future reference, we'd appreciate it if you didn't post a reply if you don't have time to elaborate on it at least a little.

I can't stand any Bethesda game. To me they're buggy unfinished shells of games that might get patched if they feel like doing it. That and the dialogue is bland, the voice acting is terrible and I simply don't find them fun to play. They're as wide as an ocean but as deep as a puddle.

I didn't mind playing FF13-2 all that much.

/shot

I'm not exactly sure how to defend this to be honest. A friend of mine said she really enjoyed it, and she has pretty good taste in all things gaming, so I had to give it a fair chance at least. The gameplay, well...It's similar to 13, that's for sure, but it does feel a bit faster, and I never had any fights drag on any longer than I expected them to. As for characters, well, that's a bit rough.I have a soft spot for all the voice actors and actresses in the game, so that alone kinda made it worth playing. I have to say though, Noel is definitely one of my favorite FF protagonists now, along with Zack Fair. If anyone has any questions about the game I'll answer the best I can, haha.

(Yes, the ending did piss me off).

I didn't mind playing FF13-2 all that much.

/shot

And as stated above, we require a few sentences worth of explanation here.  Simply one or two short sentences isn't going to cut it, I'm afraid.  Try explaining why the game isn't as bad to you as it is to others, for example.

Been meaning to say this for a while:

I don't care much for Super Mario 3D World.ph34r.png

That doesn't mean I don't have fun with it or think that it's not a good game, but the isometric level designs and the general "It's a 2D Mario in 3D!" feel makes me think that it's a step backwards from the Galaxy Games, or heck, even 64.

Oh and Spyro 1 is my favorite out of the PS1 trilogy. Whatever control issues or underdeveloped ideas it had, it made up for in it's own unique atmosphere, while the other two feel like more of your standard platformy tropes.

I like Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 more than MvC2.

Honestly, I just find 3 much more accessible. Especially when I've been away from it for so long. Sure there's less content, and it's marketed to newcomers, but I had a blast with it. Besides, this one has Phoenix Wright, Ghost rider and Vergil!

I think JRPGs (and probably also western RPGs, but I have less hands-on experience with them) are bad.

Not, I think some particular JRPGs are bad. Not, I think a lot of JRPGs are bad. I think the genre itself is bad. Especially a lot of things that have become the "essentials" of the genre are bad.

Like, most RPGs have some level of character customization and growth. The archetypical RPG goes about this by shitting tons of stats into your lap, having you wade through piles of armor and equipment, grinding up levels, and then there's probably some crafting mechanic or other hassle to go through on top of it. It's a ridiculous amount of granularity that does more to obscure what you're doing than making it seem like you're in control of things. Instead of focusing on this huge quantity of ways to fiddle with your character, I think they'd be a lot better off breaking away from the traditional stat/equipment systems and focusing on something that's simpler and has more tangible effects. The badge system in the Paper Marios, for example, is a lot easier to deal with, and just about every badge has a clear and noticeable effect. Much better than buying the next sword in the next town and doing 10 more damage to the 500 HP enemies nearby.

I also feel like there's a sort of tacit admission that the genre sucks when the discussion comes to random battles, or whatever form the generic fights come in. There are a lot of comments to the effect that they're a hassle, something to be avoided, or at best something that only matters because you need the EXP. But that's...kind of the meat of the game? It's like saying you wish you could play Mario without having to do all that jumping around. If the battles end up becoming obnoxious, it seems like there is something deeply wrong with the rules the game is built on.

That's not to say that there are no good RPGs. But the ones that are good, are good in spite of, or due to defying, RPG conventions, rather than because of those conventions.

• Thumbs Up 3