Awoo.

Unpopular Gaming Opinions!

King Frosty

I think JRPGs (and probably also western RPGs, but I have less hands-on experience with them) are bad.

Not, I think some particular JRPGs are bad. Not, I think a lot of JRPGs are bad. I think the genre itself is bad. Especially a lot of things that have become the "essentials" of the genre are bad.

Like, most RPGs have some level of character customization and growth. The archetypical RPG goes about this by shitting tons of stats into your lap, having you wade through piles of armor and equipment, grinding up levels, and then there's probably some crafting mechanic or other hassle to go through on top of it. It's a ridiculous amount of granularity that does more to obscure what you're doing than making it seem like you're in control of things. Instead of focusing on this huge quantity of ways to fiddle with your character, I think they'd be a lot better off breaking away from the traditional stat/equipment systems and focusing on something that's simpler and has more tangible effects. The badge system in the Paper Marios, for example, is a lot easier to deal with, and just about every badge has a clear and noticeable effect. Much better than buying the next sword in the next town and doing 10 more damage to the 500 HP enemies nearby.

I also feel like there's a sort of tacit admission that the genre sucks when the discussion comes to random battles, or whatever form the generic fights come in. There are a lot of comments to the effect that they're a hassle, something to be avoided, or at best something that only matters because you need the EXP. But that's...kind of the meat of the game? It's like saying you wish you could play Mario without having to do all that jumping around. If the battles end up becoming obnoxious, it seems like there is something deeply wrong with the rules the game is built on.

That's not to say that there are no good RPGs. But the ones that are good, are good in spite of, or due to defying, RPG conventions, rather than because of those conventions.

I'm guessing Xenoblade Chronicles is proably one of those expections, I thought Skies of arcadia was good as well, but it was an older standalone

When it comes to RPG's, it really is a mixed taste for them. I love them, but are there annoying quirks to some of them? Most definitely. Random battles can both be fine and just flat out annoying depending on the situation. Some games just go overboard with them and it feels like you can never get anywhere without having to get into constant fights. That is one reason some games use the not random system, where you can see the enemies on the battlefield and can avoid them at all your will most of the time. Honestly, I prefer that system myself. If you want to get into a fight, you can, if you dont, you can try and avoid them most of the time, not always, but better than NEVER.

Yeah, some RPG's are overly complicated with their stats and the amount of things you can or cant do. Sometimes, doing alot can actually make the game better once you learn all the things you can do with those things, but you can then become so restrictive with those things that you feel like you are just walking along accomplishing not much at all. Really, with RPG's, there is such a fine line between a good one, and ok one, and a bad one. If you do an RPG right though, you have some of the best gaming you can have if you are into that kind of game normally.

So really, RPG's are probably one of the prime examples, besides shooters where you can have strong popular or unpopular opinions based on them. They are the two that I think often have the highest rates of differences between the likes and dislikes of the game. That is how I feel at least.

*I want the Final Fantasy series to go back to its turn-based combat roots, not becoming more and more a watered down hack 'n slash;

yeah same here. 

I agree... I mean its getting so bad some people(like Bob Rafei) are jumping ship, the problem is that being a first party studio a lot of there game concepts have to be approved by sony, and they seem to be pushing away from cartoony

Is Sony that is pushing away from cartoony games or are Naughty Dog more comfortable doing this kind of games now?

As far as I know most of the people who worked on stuff like Crash are gone now and from what I've heard Sony gives lots of freedom to their studios, especially Naughty Dog.

Like I said, I think ND is more into the realistic games nowadays, I mean, just look at the concept art from Jak 4 that was being worked on before The Last of Us:

GAkEsaY.jpg

That's supposed to be fucking Daxter.

I think ND and Sucker Punch are on the same boat now and while I still trust them to work on "cartoony" stuff like Jak and Sly, I think they would rather keep doing what they want and let other studios work on those IPs if they don't feel like working on them anymore.

I'm not saying that they don't want to do new Jak games in the future, I just think that for now they look more comfortable doing cinematic games like Uncharted, not "being forced" to do them.

I don't think the FF games are any good, to me they seem incredibly overrated.

• Thumbs Up 1

I legitimately think Megaman X6 is a good game, If not a rather cheap one

I came into this thread to say this exact thing u w u

I find Pokemon to be boring and tedious. Maybe because I wasn't playing the same the way I was "supposed" to, but I couldn't get into it at all. I don't even remember what it was I played, only that it was on the GBA (which totally narrows it down, right?).

On a related note, I dislike random encounters in RPGs. I much prefer when I can ignore enemies when I want to ala Paper Mario. Being forced into a battle = no good.

On a semi-related note, I like Super Paper Mario. Sure it's not as good as Thousand Year Door, but I like how it's more of a platformer than the other games (as a genre, I prefer platformers as a whole anyway).

• Thumbs Up 1

I find Pokemon to be boring and tedious. Maybe because I wasn't playing the same the way I was "supposed" to, but I couldn't get into it at all. I don't even remember what it was I played, only that it was on the GBA (which totally narrows it down, right?).

On a related note, I dislike random encounters in RPGs. I much prefer when I can ignore enemies when I want to ala Paper Mario. Being forced into a battle = no good.

On a semi-related note, I like Super Paper Mario. Sure it's not as good as Thousand Year Door, but I like how it's more of a platformer than the other games (as a genre, I prefer platformers as a whole anyway).

Yeah, a lot of the RPG purists will tell you that if you don't like random encounters then you aren't a real RPG fan but I honestly will never see whats so great about being forced into fights every few seconds, heck this was one of the things I hated about pokemon besides how boring the battles got after awhile.

• 11 months later...

1. The Pokemon series is really boring

2. I don't like the Banjo games at all, they're just too slow and dull for me.

3. Sly 2, 3, and 4 are all even in my book. Why? Well each of them does something i really like (2. introducing the new formula, 3 for making the characters more fun to play as, and 4 for giving me less trouble all around with some of Sly's move sets) and they each also do something that really pisses me off (2. the level design, 3 all the mini games, 4, a bunch of little things that add up).

4. The main 3 female video game protagonist that everyone loves (Bayonetta, Samus, Laura Croft) while they have great games (though I'm making an assumption on the last, as I never actually played Tomb Raider) I don't really care for any of them as characters at all or their stories. They have their moments for me but most of the time I'm just............ indifferent towards them. Which is sad because I want to like them a lot more than I actually do.

5. Bomberman generation is better than Bomberman Jetters.

6. I think that the American Mcgee alice series,  would've worked a lot better as a book or movie series or something like that, but not a video game. Both of the games in the series from a gameplay perspective are just so plain.

7. TMNT the video game is kinda fun............ during the parkour and platforming segments. During the actual combat, just bleh......

8. . I would love if there were a DDRMM2. Not because it was like really fun or anything but I loved the musical remixes.

9. Elebits is a really addicting game.

10. I really don't like turn based combat in my rpg at least most of the time

11. I liked dewey's adventure. Controls can be frustrating sometimes but I tend to get used to controls rather easily most of the time.

12. I might think that the first luigi's mansion is better than the 2nd.  I love both, but maybe the first has more sentimental value, but there are also things I genuinely think are better, namely the atmosphere of the first compared to the second. 

13. I haven't beaten the game yet, but so far I consider Darksiders to be kinda boring personally.

14. I actually really enjoy the Amazing Spider Man video games. (The one's based off of the last 2 movies.)

15. Last but certainly not least, I may like every game in the kingdom hearts series, I have to say that in kingdom hearts (unless you're playing the final mix version) and especially 358/2 days have pretty bad combat systems.

• Nice Smile 1

I think JRPGs (and probably also western RPGs, but I have less hands-on experience with them) are bad.

Not, I think some particular JRPGs are bad. Not, I think a lot of JRPGs are bad. I think the genre itself is bad. Especially a lot of things that have become the "essentials" of the genre are bad.

Like, most RPGs have some level of character customization and growth. The archetypical RPG goes about this by shitting tons of stats into your lap, having you wade through piles of armor and equipment, grinding up levels, and then there's probably some crafting mechanic or other hassle to go through on top of it. It's a ridiculous amount of granularity that does more to obscure what you're doing than making it seem like you're in control of things. Instead of focusing on this huge quantity of ways to fiddle with your character, I think they'd be a lot better off breaking away from the traditional stat/equipment systems and focusing on something that's simpler and has more tangible effects. The badge system in the Paper Marios, for example, is a lot easier to deal with, and just about every badge has a clear and noticeable effect. Much better than buying the next sword in the next town and doing 10 more damage to the 500 HP enemies nearby.

I also feel like there's a sort of tacit admission that the genre sucks when the discussion comes to random battles, or whatever form the generic fights come in. There are a lot of comments to the effect that they're a hassle, something to be avoided, or at best something that only matters because you need the EXP. But that's...kind of the meat of the game? It's like saying you wish you could play Mario without having to do all that jumping around. If the battles end up becoming obnoxious, it seems like there is something deeply wrong with the rules the game is built on.

That's not to say that there are no good RPGs. But the ones that are good, are good in spite of, or due to defying, RPG conventions, rather than because of those conventions.

Since you haven't played a lot of WRPG's, I recommend looking at games like Planescape: Torment. It's an older title from the late 90s that does put a ton of emphasis on developing your character. You can even avoid combat altogether in it.

Personally, I have to agree with the front that JRPG's are generally pretty subpar games, at least in comparison to their Western counterparts. Much of their espoused advantage I hear, including things like a stronger central narrative, I found to be altogether unfounded.

I never could really get into them as much as I could with all the Baldur's Gates, the Fallouts, and the Icewind Dales out there.

Some opinions:

1. I don't like JRPGs (FF)

2. I love Naughty Dog but I don't really enjoy The last of us (maybe because I'm just tired of Zombies)

3. I also don't like Skyrim, I found that quite boring while Fallout, well...

4. I personally like the plot in Killzone games

• Promotion 1

Skyrim has the worse opening in a open-world game I've ever played. It's slow, boring, and you get to see all of the scenery you won't be able to explore til about 20-40 minutes after you bog through a boring opening that's nothing but "Your Hands are bounded"

There's zero urgency regarding the fact your character is going to be off with their head because it's so early in the game that you practically know that you'll make it alive by the last second by whatever saves you.

• Promotion 1

-Kingdom Hearts 2 is the most replayable Kingdom Hearts title.

Doubly if you are playing the Final Mix. It's filled with content and it's pretty simple to get into and not as challenging unless you are playing on Proud/Critical. Trying to 100% and unlock everything in that game can take quite a lot of time. I've docked over 100+ hours and am still working on some stuff. It may not be the strongest in terms of gameplay compared to something like 3D, but it's still very fun and has loads of after game content to keep you busy.

Skyrim has the worse opening in a open-world game I've ever played. It's slow, boring, and you get to see all of the scenery you won't be able to explore til about 20-40 minutes after you bog through a boring opening that's nothing but "Your Hands are bounded"

There's zero urgency regarding the fact your character is going to be off with their head because it's so early in the game that you practically know that you'll make it alive by the last second by whatever saves you.

It doesn't really help that the character creation is put RIGHT before you are about to get your head sliced off, so you KNOW right then and there that jack shit's gonna happen to you.

They really should have put the character creation BEFORE you started the game, and then dropped you into the world of Skyrim to let you get a taste of what Skyrim can offer, THEN have the Imperial ambush occur and take away your freedom. Then once you wake up, you can interact with the guards who about to call for your execution with the dialogue options in an attempt to plea for your life (or at least create the illusion of it) to keep you immersed, as well as create more urgency in the situation. Also they REALLY should have cut down on the number of in-universe jargon at the get go, because you really don't NEED to know about the Divines or what a High King is at the beginning; just sticking with Imperials and rebels would have been enough really, and that other stuff can be found out about later.

Granted this idea won't really change the fact that you know you probably won't die at the beginning, but I think it would have gotten the concept of Skyrim across better than what they ultimately went for.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

Honestly, writing was never a strong point in Bethesda games. Almost every Elder Scrolls game has the exact same premise of "guy who becomes prisoner turns out to be the chosen one who saves the world getting wiped out". Usually the more creative stuff is relegated to being background stuff in the books they've been reusing since Morrowind.

Bethesda's strongpoint has always rather been on the sandbox-y stuff where you explore different areas, and go spelunking in various dungeons.

I honestly don't consider The Elder Scrolls to be true WRPG's, because they've always rather been their own thing. There's more of a focus on dungeon crawling, rather than engaging storylines like with Bioware/Black Isle/Obsidian type games.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Here's some of my unpopular opinions:

-Most FPS are boring and repetitive, most do nothing that truly innovates and are mostly just competing for having the best graphics rather than the best gameplay.

-Grinding, collectathons, and RNG just lead to a lot of padding and unfairness/artificial difficulty/length. For example, getting a rare item in an RPG or any game- especially in cases like Dragon Ball Xenoverse, where they know most people want to become Super Saiayans, so they make that pretty unlikely to get early on, and later requires quite a bit of money to get.

-I think that stylistic graphics have a lot more longterm viability than realistic graphics, at least until photorealistic graphics become common. Many games that try for realism before we really have the tech for it have ended up dating themselves quite fast in my mind. That's not to say that realistic games are bad. But certainly, pushing for the best graphics of the time is not as important as making a good game, in my mind- though we are fast approaching the day where all games can look as realistic as possible.

-If a developer isn't confident enough in their core gameplay to believe that it can work on its own, it's probably not a good gameplay style to begin with or shows that the developer has no faith in their own abilities. Sonic Team is the biggest offender of this that I know- I would have been fine with a shorter Unleashed if it meant no Werehog, they did the Werehog to make a longer game because they thought people wouldn't want a shorter game that's more consistent in gameplay. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 didn't need to be genre roulette, it could've just been more Sonic/Shadow stages. Lost World didn't need to change up what you did between levels so much.

• Nice Smile 1

I don't think too highly of the original BioShock, honestly.

The game itself struck me as a dumbed down and reskinned version of the spiritual predecessor to the BioShock series, System Shock 2. The atmosphere was much more unique in BioShock, admittedly, but I feel it was less effective than SS2's atmosphere - I can play BioShock at 1 a.m. and not have an issue, but SS2 is something I can't even play while it's dark out because of the sense of dread the atmosphere of that game creates. While some would prefer BioShock's unique and much prettier atmosphere, I do prefer SS2 in terms of atmosphere because I feel it to be so much more effective. That's saying something, too, because BioShock created a badass atmosphere.

BioShock also features greatly toned down gameplay mechanics from SS2, tossing out many of the RPG elements in favor of a more FPS-based experience. While this is something many would embrace, I honestly found myself to prefer the way SS2 played out. This is probably just because I prefer RPGs to First Person Shooters, though, and the fact that SS2 had such a large number of RPG elements just made it resonate more with me. BioShock's gameplay mechanics were still excellent, mind you, but I couldn't shake that feeling of it being nothing more than a toned down version of System Shock 2's gameplay during my entire playthrough.

While these two things aren't nearly enough to make me dislike an otherwise great game, they do lead me to prefer its predecessor. What bothered me most was the story, though. I'll place it in spoilers to be safe, so be warned.

The fact that the plot twists are virtually the exact same thing just irritated me to pieces. This is what the entire game was building up to, and all it was, in essence, was the same goddamn thing that they had done with System Shock 2. Sure, Atlas didn't assume someone else's identity like S.H.O.D.A.N. did, but all it came down to was the fact that the person on the other side of the radio was just manipulating you to accomplish their own means. That really bothered me, because I had played System Shock 2 before I had played BioShock and I knew that they had done this before. System Shock 2 is the spiritual predecessor to BioShock, and they even had the same lead designer. While I found BioShock to be weaker in some areas, it was still a strong game regardless. This just sticks out like a pimple on picture day, though, and it's a flaw I really can't ignore. I'd love to say "Well, it's still great," but I can't find it in myself to do so. It felt so lazy and uninspired to me, and while it is a great plot twist and they did a great job building it up, I can't ignore the similarities. At best, it's marginally different. 

I can forgive the other two issues I take with it, because although I don't think they were executed as well in a broad sense, they were still very strong in their own right, and even improved upon what SS2 had done in a couple of areas. This is something I can't really just ignore, though, as it ended up just feeling recycled from a previous effort.

I feel like I should point out that f I had played BioShock first, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be so bothered by this. However, seeing as how genuinely awestruck I was with SS2's plot twist, only to see it be copy/pasted over to a different game bothered me. Admittedly, it wasn't exactly the same, but the differences were marginal and I think saying they "drew inspiration from" or "borrowed from" SS2 is a bit of an understatement.

Also, Skyrim is a great game, but Morrowind is my favorite TES game. The story in Skyrim was average compared to Morrowind, which I felt had a great story - especially for an Elder Scrolls game, considering the strength isn't usually in the main story in this series, but rather the lore of the land that you're in. Morrowind's lore came in spades while Skyrim managed to be an improvement from Oblivion in that regard.

The setting of Skyrim was good, but not as unique and interesting as Vvardenfall was. It was either very snowy, very mountainous, or was situated in a forest. Vvardenfall had swamps, Silt Striders, Mushroom Forests and Volcanic Ash deserts on top of all of those things Skyrim had. Morrowind also had Vivec, which is my personal favorite city in the whole series. 

Vivec <3

Not to say Morrowind is flawless in comparison - the cities were much more sterile, the combat system was meh, and very little of the dialogue is voiced - but when it comes to what I expect from an Elder Scrolls game, Skyrim manages to only meet those expectations while Morrowind manages to surpass them. Thus, I feel Morrowind is the best the series has to offer thus far.

• Nice Smile 1

While I disagree that Morrowind is better than Skyrim, I do think both are better than Oblivion. Good Lord, that game was not fun. The level-scaling was terrible, the environments were monotonous, the main storyline was pretty tripe, and did I mention the level-scaling? I've never rest-scummed a game in my life as much as I have Oblivion. Not even any of the Baldur's Gates or the early Fallouts.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

• 1 year later...

A few opinions here.

1. I think that Sonic 3 and Knuckles is a pretty mixed bag overall. Having gone back to play it recently, I only found some of the stages enjoyable

latest?cb=20090530035803

latest?cb=20090530040157

latest?cb=20140311195750

latest?cb=20090530040804

latest?cb=20091218214416

latest?cb=20130407085636

But the rest of the stages are either 

Boring

Frustrating

Or a combination of the two

Also, the soundtrack, in my opinion, is one of the weakest in the series with most of the music not leaving much of an impression on me at all. It's just kind of background noise to me. Sure I like some of them, but for the most part, they're either bland or irritating for me to listen to. I feel like it has a little more of that genesis "twang" that I've never been particularly fond of. Ice cap is one of the worst for me! I hate that song. It doesn't start out that bad at all, but it's too repetitive for me. 

2. I personally don't have a problem with motion controls. I'll admit that sometimes they don't work very well, but maybe it's because I can adjust to controls very easily with not too much time given. For example, many people told me they found Sonic And The Secret Rings hard to control but I never did honestly. In fact in some cases I think motion controls are better and I don't want them to go away at all. 

Now in some cases, while I may not think motion controls are bad, I may find them unnecessary or pointless things to make a player do if what they're doing could be accomplished equally as well if not better with just basic button input. For instance, while I may not find Sonic and the Secret Rings hard to control at all, I also don't think that there was much of a point to the controls in that game either. There's no action or function within that entire game that couldn't have been done with button input just as well. Sure it may need the wiimote and nunchuck to make it work, but so what?

Where I think motion control is better though is when it comes to aiming. It works significantly better than an analog stick does, and I personally feel my aim is a lot better with them. Having finally gotten the chance to play Splatoon and Star Fox Zero, I think that both games benefit greatly from their motion controls to aim. 

Speaking of which

3. Star Fox Zero is the best Star Fox Game bar none. Honestly having picked up the game the first time, you know how long it took me to get used to the controls? About 10-20 minutes. Yea it really was just that easy for me. Not even looking between TV and gamepad was that difficult and the only time it was was for boss fights that I don't think are that well designed anyway 

(fuck this fight)

but even if I did find looking between the tv and gamepad hard, it wouldn't matter because you can switch the screen and put them both on the same screen at the same time anyway to make it easier. Once I figured that out, this game was my bitch. This is a game that you could've have made normally and had it use the regular controls a star fox game usually has and it would've still been good, but honestly a lot of the things that happen in the game and a lot of the functions in the game wouldn't have worked as well without it. Aiming in particular wouldn't have been as good. I went back to Star Fox 64 after playing Zero and it felt awkward as fuck man. Like really. (Don't get me wrong, I still like 64). In fact the game probably would have just been Star Fox 64 again (something it's already bordering on what with the dialogue and story). 

I think some of the confusion for me at least first came from the fact that you'd expect a plane to only be able to shoot directly in front of itself like it does in the other star fox games, but I love being able to shoot in any direction at all from any position. It makes the game more thrilling for me, and even easier. But I love the game's atmosphere too, especially the Star Wolf Battles, which have gotten a major upgrade. In previous games, to be honest they sucked because they were too damn easy. Here I love dogfighting them. But the way I fight them just wouldn't have been possible if it weren't for the controls being the way they are. So Star Fox Zero, contrary to pretty much everyone else's opinion, is a game that I think greatly benefited from the motion controls and not just a game that works fine with them, but is even better for it. 

Not that the controls are perfect though, I hate that barrel rolling is not assigned to the right analog stick when you have two perfectly good shoulder buttons. It's made even worse because I also you know boost and brake using that too. But I've already gotten all the gold medals and unlocked the black arwing and retro arwing, and have a high score on arcade mode, and I haven't had the game for long and didn't need much time to do it. So honestly I didn't find it hard to control (my uncle did though lol). 

Also some of the bossfights are a little too annoying not because of the controls, but because of the fight in general. On top of the one I listed above, there's also the fight with that damn robot Bird, and pretty much any boss fight with the landmaster especially that giant spider thing. and the gyrowing is dull to use (still debating which is worse, the gyrowing or the blue marine)

4. I find the lego video games to be kinda boring honestly. I don't know, it's not that they're badly designed or something, I just can't get into them for some reason. 

200w.gif#71

200.gif#5

Sleeping Kid

quentin tarantino pulp fiction listening go on skeptical

Like seriously, I plan on getting each of these, but I don't know, I've got a bad feeling in my gut with all 4 of these and I'm not quite sure what it is. Granted one of them is already out and has a good reception, but I'm still skeptical. I don't know why I'm completely skeptical about all of these games, but I am. Hope I'm wrong though. 

9. I don't know if this counts as an unpopular opinion or not so much as it is an unpopular experience, but I don't really enjoy playing online very much. Granted I've always been a loner in a lot of ways, and prefer it that way to an extent which means I spend more of my time with single player experiences than multiplayer co-op or competitive experiences. Mostly because my few experiences with online gaming communities have been almost nothing but completely toxic. People calling me a racial slur, people telling me how much I suck, people yelling at me for messing something up. This is why I can't get into competitive shooters much and why I'm nervous to try overwatch, as much fun as that game looks. I hate that too, but it's like if I'm not already good enough, everyone there is going to make me feel even more inadequate or worse jut like a piece of shit. I know the easy thing to do is ignore them, but in games that rely heavily on teamwork or something that's hard to do. That and I'm almost guaranteed to be the worst person there anyway, which I wouldn't mind, except I'm not usually given man chances to get better. The people there clearly want me gone and that's that. It sucks. 

10. I actually think that video games could benefit quite a bit from exploring sexuality a bit deeper. Not just from a purely objective standpoint, but a little more like real life in a way. Video games are an interactive medium and if done right (key phrase, IF DONE RIGHT) could actually be pretty cool for story reasons. But if it were done, I don't think it would need to be done for the sole exclusive purpose of getting gamers off lol. I mean it'd be nice to explore a bit more intimacy with characters in a similar way to the way we develop them in real life. That also includes coming with all the frustrations or complications that come with that too as well. In general, I think having players have a little more active agency in their own relationships with NPC's could prove to be very interesting. At least it's something I'd like to see. This could include friendships too. With improvements in AI, this is something I'd like to see tried out. It's one of the few case in video games where I'd like there to be a lot more realism involved to go beyond basic dating sims lol. Speaking of realism

11. My last opinion aside, I actually don't care to much for realism in video games. For example when it comes to FPS's. Recently I've been playing a lot of FPS's and two things that irritate the shit out of me are

1. When my gun doesn't remain steady while I'm aiming because my character is breathing to heavily. More common in games when you're a sniper. I know it's realistic, but I don't care, it's annoying to work with.

2. Even in cases where my gun is steady, it feels like my bullets don't actually go where I aim them, which makes missing irritatingly easy to do for me because my bullets go slightly away from where I aimed down my sites. Again I know it's realistic but I want my bullets to actually go where the marker is on the fucking screen!

12. This isn't 100% video game related, but I think that literally any song from the Donkey Kong Country tv series even at their worst is lightyears ahead of literally any song from Sonic Underground. Actually I kinda like the Donkey Kong Country show despite its multitude of problems. 

13. I kinda hope that the sly cooper movie is still going to happen. 

14. I may not be "in love" with them or anything, but I don't think the call of duty video games are all that bad to be honest. Are they the same thing again and again? Maybe, but that's not too different from other series that I enjoy. 

15. I would rather play Mighty No.9 over most of the Mega Man and Mega Man X games (Mega Man 1 and 2, Mega Man 5-8, Mega Man 10, Mega Man X2 and X3, Mega Man X5-X8). I've gone into a little detail with my thoughts on the game before in the unpopular opinions thread, but to elaborate here, while I can understand most of the problems people have with the game (not to mention the company, seriously fuck comcept) but there are some criticism that I find to be..................................concerning to say the least. I always feel confused when people consider the game to be "hard". Hell I've heard some compare it to X6 XD. I always feel like an asshole whenever I watch a review or commentary or lets play or something on it because a part of my brain keeps wondering "how can so many people be this bad at it?" which is bad logic because it's like saying "the game doesn't suck, you just suck at it" which is stupid reasoning I know, but it's just odd to me when people complain about aspects of the game being unfair, cheap, unnavoidable or impossible or whatever when it was plainly obvious to me.  I don't know maybe I have different instincts or interpret information a game gives me differently, and according to some people "have the reaction speed of a god" (which when said in reference to this game kinda makes me want to laugh, because of how slow everything other than Beck is). Like seriously though, I was watching BrainscratchCommentaries let's play of the game, and watching them fight Dynatron, Aviator, Brandish, and Countershade is agonizingly painful to watch because i just can't believe anyone could have trouble with them. (Dynatron spends the majority of the fight not even attacking! You can beat her without her attacking a single time for god sake!)

16. I also think that Azure Striker Gunvolt is more fun than the Mega Man Zero and ZX series. 

17. Going back to it, I'm not much of a fan of the first Jak and Daxter game, or the Daxter game on the PSP. I found them kind boring. 

18. Going back again, I don't like the spyro series as much as I used too. I was a big fan, but now I don't like any of the games. They're all kinda dull. 

19. MEGA MAN THE WILY WARS SUCKS! OH GOD DOES IT SUCK! I hate the way it controls, I hate the music, I hate a lot of things about that game.

20. I found Yoshi's Wolly World to be pretty boring, to be honest.

21. I think that characters in video games who most people consider "badass" I consider to be either bland or unlikable in general. 

• Nice Smile 1

• 2 years later...

-Super Mario Odyssey is one of my least favorite Mario games, but it´s at least better than Hotel Mario or the educational games.

-Mighty No. 9 wasnt that bad

-Water levels arent that bad for the most part.

-PSASBR deserves a sequel, Sony has a huge story, and SEGA shoud give it a try too for the same reason, they have tons of games.

-Roblox is one of the most unappealing games i ever saw.

-Minecraft however, is one of the best games of all time, no irony or memes involved, it has so many replay value...

-Sonic Mania was mediocre, relies to much on fanservice and nostalgia pandering, rehashed levels included, it´s just eye Candy, far from special.

-i didnt like Ocarina of Time, too boring and repetitive, so in a way, minecraft is better than Oot, come at me Bros. 😄

• Nice Smile 1

• 1 year later...

I play The Elder Scrolls Online.

I roleplay as a cat and I ride a cat and I have a cat pet.

All of my pretty kitties are gorgeous.

Come play with me!

:leopard:

Edited by KnuxDLX

• 6 months later...

Some of these opinions are really unpopular as a warning.

*Couldn't get into the Zelda series. It's hard to explain but played Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword and didn't really get far in them. My interest in the games go quickly, at most get to the/complete the first dungeon. Playing them only found them "eh", not GOTY, GOTC (game of the console) or GOAT.

*Found Pokemon to be predatory. Requiring more than one console and more than one game version to get all the characters. Oh, you can't get all the characters unless you attend an event (or hack the game if possible) that might be the other side of the country for one day. The practise is like an early version of DLC mixed with timed events, the type that is associated with mobile gaming and the kinds that involved multiplayer. The ones that I played (Blue, Yellow and a bit of Sun) are deep down basic RPGs that aren't even polished. Also don't like the idea of animals fighting each other even if they are fictional animals with some who are so cute that they wouldn't hurt a fly then poaching capturing them...
*The exception of the above, enjoyed Pokemon Pinball.

*The last Smash Bros. game that I enjoyed was Melee and also enjoyed the original. While that was is kind of a popular opinion among some, it's the later games that become an issue. Found Smash Wii U to get really boring after 20 minutes, it's like eating something sweet. Starts of okay then you get sick. Smash Wii U also caused a lost interest in the series to not getting Ultimate that is like tooled up version/sequel/semi-sequel (more characters, modes, music, etc). Brawl is a like it or you don't game and I didn't like the gameplay especially the botched PAL version of the game only running half speed and felt very sluggish.

*Mario Strikers Charged is a sports game with cheating AI and doesn't really feel like playing football (I really need to play Sega Soccer Slam to see if that's the same since this is a spiritual successor). The power ups kind of distract the gameplay and the cheating AI is when they activate a high multiple goal move on the easiest setting and win but its hard scoring a single goal for yourself. Another thing, sets? Football matches are half one side, half another for a match and the game doesn't even do that? Then it could be the case of the PAL version again since the other regions got it later and might have had bug fixes (one being a better loading screen). The presentation also screamed very dark and gritty mid-2000s, it doesn't feel like a Mario game. Do like the touches of the characters though such their outfits and music selection as well as the cover art. It would have been better as a hockey game.

*Found Shenmue to be quite boring. It was interesting at first because at the time there wasn't anything like it but then got lost trying to think what to do going around the same area and got stuck. I think at one point I just ended up going to the arcade to play some Hang-On and Space Harrier. Then played Hang-On at home on my Sega Saturn (note, there is no single release of Hang-On on the Sega Saturn, there was no Sega Saturn in 1985 either...).

*Sleeping Dogs is one of the best open world games and enjoyed it more than the GTA series.

*Blur had an identity issue whether it wanted to be WipEout (the comparison is Mario Kart but it felt more WipEout due to being more hardcore) or Project Gotham Racing. People liked this racing game but I didn't... Not keen on the handling.
*Similar reason for FlatOut, couldn't get into that series due to the handling. I know that they use American cars so I don't expect it to handle great but not like they are shopping trolleys... (This is why I didn't get WreckFest and avoided BugBear as a developer, also see Sega Rally PSP).

*The original Xbox was Microsoft at its most diverse even if there were only a few strong titles. Some of them were even quirky that are mostly forgotten, some really could do with another chance like Midtown Madness (that was successful on PC and no Midnight Club its successor now). Felt like some games that Microsoft brought out could have done with sequels whether it was polishing up the mechanics or in the case of Crimson Skies, it could have been a multi generational series and even a PC port of the original to consoles. MS had their Ace Combat series that was well liked and did nothing about it. We wouldn't have this Halo/Gears/Forza cycle that later the 360/Xbox One had with a few underperformers and a couple of cults (Alan Wake) along the way. They also shouldn't have sold their sports department to Take Two (with Sega selling the other half to them) to please EA causing a monopoly in some sports series (e.g. NBA2K for 2K, Madden for EA), Amped and Top Spin were the best out of them and both now gone. Due to this tennis games have been mediocre since Virtua Tennis and Top Spin were discontinued and there hasn't been any strong snowboarding games in a while.

Microsoft also should have had a deeper relationship with Sega and Tecmo. I don't mean buying them (due to Japanese business law) but it was due to those games that people bought a Xbox outside of Halo. They should have kept up with the 360 and beyond but instead the last Tecmo exclusives were Ninja Gaiden II/Dead or Alive 4 and Koei bought them causing a declining in those series, Sega I don't know... 

*The ZX Spectrum is a piece of crap that only got popular because it was so cheap. Many of the games for it make shovelware or bad Steam games blush or pushing the system like an artform but not really enjoyable to play at 1-5fps and feel the best games are the most simple ones like Horace Goes Skiing.

*EA are a decent publisher in general (a very unpopular opinion considering that they are typical gaming badguys online) and much of the hate that it gets is overblown. Are they one of my favourite publishers? No. Do they deserve some criticism? Yes. (e.g. anything FIFA/Madden, microtransactions, overworked their employees during the 2000s) While most of their games aren't super great and just decent, I know that in many cases that I would enjoy them because they are solid enough (except Burnout 3/Revenge/Legends, those three games are pretty much in my Top 10 and all grouped together). The worst era for the company is the PS4/Xbox One era (2014-2020) and glad that it took a flop such as Anthem to realise this.

Also in terms of online, they are better than some companies regarding servers for games outside of the sports games. e.g. only just now that they are switching online off for Need for Speed Undercover, Sony would have done that back in 2012. They probably would have kept it on if it wasn't for car licensing and more players.

15 minutes ago, Mr Loopone said:

overworked their employees during the 2000s

You make it sound like they haven’t been crunching the last few years and that this was something during the early 2000’s only 

• Thumbs Up 1

I HATE the planet wisp level in generations. I find it fun to play through the whole game over again, but its a SLOG to get through this level for me. Also, i really like the night levels of unleased.