Awoo.

Unpopular Movie Opinions!

Winston

A spin-off of a spin-off! I got the topic idea from...uh...-enters Unpopular Sonic Opinions topic- Alice Twilight...and stuff.

Now basically tell us what parts of movies you hate/like that other people would truly hate you for! Because that's fun, right?

RIGHT?!

Edited by Winston
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lol, we're gonna be running out of mediums soon.

Well, first one that springs to mind:

Akira is a horrible movie and I hate that it was one of the main faces of Japanese animation in the west for so long.

I'm just really not into those kinda confusing mindgame movies. The art style is really ugly and depressing and bleh. I just really didn't like it, not my thing at all.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 3

Frodo was the worst part of Peter Jackson's LotR.

I could not stand how weak his Frodo was compared to... not the just the book, every adaptation before his. He just pissed me off; but at least Sam was great.

I actually thoroughly enjoyed Michael Bay's "Transformers" movies. I thought 1 & 3 were absolutely great, and 2 was alright.

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh Alice, look what you've started. But either way:

- I think Disney should stick to 2D films from now on and leave 3D to pixar. Even though Tangled was good and Wreck It Raplh is looking pretty sweet.

- I also think It's way past time for Disney to make a movie with a Latina Princess.

- I think a Static Shock movie should be made. We could use some more Black Superhero's out there.

- I think that Tyler Perry should make a movie purely about Madea without her getting overshadowed by a subplot with other characters.

- I also think a Wonder Woman movie should be made as well. She is one of DC's big three along with Superman and Batman so it would make sense.

- I hope Seltzer and Friedbergs next movie bombs so badly that they will permanently lose their careers and after that they will be nothing but a distant memory in the world of cinema. Oh right this is a thread about unpopular movie opinions. Nevermind this one folks.

inb4 I hate the Dark Knight

Anyway, I actually quite like "The Adventures of Pluto Nash". Its a shit movie on all accounts, but I enjoyed the hell outta it when I was a kid.

Only movies we liked? That seems a bit restrictive in a topic about unpopular opinions. Though I guess it doesn't affect me much, as I usually tend to like the popular movies just as much as everyone else. Anywho:

- I didn't think Green Lantern was a bad movie, though to be fair I have never really been exposed to the character much beforehand. I certainly know what it feels like to see something you love get butchered on the big screen, so I can see where GL fans are probably coming from.

- The Transformers movies. Now these...are a bit complicated. I can't deny that these movies are filled with jingoism, exploitation, unneccessary potty humor, bad acting, and so forth. But I'm really, truly in the "I just want to see a big dumb action movie" crowd. I still facepalm at the stupid shit, but I still have fun with them. And really, I don't think the first movie is really that bad at all.

- Spider-Man 3 is not a bad movie. It's not a fantastic one by any means, and it certainly doesn't come anywhere close to reaching Spider-Man 2's quality. As disappointing as Venom was for me, there's still plenty to like. Sandman was fun, the action scenes were a blast to watch, it did a good job wrapping up Harry's character arc, and I liked how Venom looked. I just didn't like that he was only there for ten minutes, and that he kept peeling his face back when talking.

Now, I saved the big kahuna for last. The one that I know people are going to take the most issue with:

- I like Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and I will defend it. Specifically, I will defend the fridge scene and the inclusion of aliens. I don't understand why people made such a big fuss out of the fridge. Yes it's impossible. Yes, it's silly. But so was jumping out of an airplane on an inflatable raft. So was clinging onto a submerged submarine to a secret Nazi base. So was driving a half-demolished boat in Venice's canals. So was punching into a mans chest and pulling out his still-beating heart. The Indiana Jones series is just full of silly, over the top scenes that completely disregard the laws of science, so why in the fuck everything I just mentioned gets a free pass while the fridge scene is endlessly mocked completely eludes me. To single out just one thing from this list is hypocrisy.

Now, the aliens. I wasn't exactly rooting for them to be in there, and George Lucas's original idea of having Indy fight an alien invasion was just retarded. But I really don't see how the Crystal Skull is an unfitting artifact for this series. Just like all the other ones, it was based on a real-life artifact (Mind you, it was just recently proven to have been a hoax. But it's not like the Holy Grail or Ark of the Covenant are real, either). Further, people act like this movie was filled with aliens and had them running around all over the place, but they only show up at the very end. That's like me saying Last Crusade was all about immortal knights, it stretches the truth by quite a bit.

Other people seem less upset about the aliens themselves and are more focused on the fact that the Crystal Skull isn't a religious artifact. My honest opinion: why in the fuck does that matter? An artifact doesn't have to be associated with religion to make it mystical or mysterious, and if we're going to pretend realism is so important in these films like we do with the fridge scene, then I would say aliens are far, far, faaaaaar more plausible then a mystical Hindu rock. But then some people argue that the series centers around religious artifacts, which I also say is poppycock (Holy crap I just used the word "poppycock"). Yes, the first three movies all used religious artifacts. That doesn't mean Indiana Jones can only search for those and those alone. To only use religious artifacts would limit the series potential. Hell, I know tons of people would love to see Fate of Atlantis adapted into a film, so would I. Should we forbid that because it has nothing to do with religion? Real life archaeology is full of ancient legends and mystical artifacts that would make a perfect Indy story, and not all of them have to do with modern-day religions.

*Whew* That ended up longer then I thought. I'm not trying to cram my opinion down anyone's throat, or declare that Crystal Skull is objectively a good movie (I fucking hate it when people try to paint objectivity on a freain' medium of entertainment). I just can't help but feel a lot of the common criticisms for the film hold double standards and/or miss the point.

Edited by Speederino
  • Thumbs Up 6

I also like the transformers movies that recently came out, no.3 had some insane special effects that made my eyes light up and then transform into robots and burst from my head.

I also think The Watchmen was the worst movie I have ever seen in a long long time. So much hype surrounded it, but I thought it was terrible. Everytime an interesting plot thread presented itself to me while watching it, its like the movie forgot about it and then moved on right away. By the end of the movie I felt very little had actually even happened at all.

I think Disney movies are lame (aside from one or two titles, but I mean the library in general). I can appreciate the artistic quality that went into their old films - but everything is too musical for my tastes. I also think their writing and stories were pretty bland.

Wall-E is my favourite Pixar film. There, I said it. The humans bit kinda dampened the experience some...but...I could forgive it because the rest of the movie was so fantastic.

I am sure I have more but w/e, these are all I've got for now ha.

I really like Vampires Suck. I know it's bad but I hate Twilight enough I like it....I guess......IDK.

Edited by Chaos Warp

Super Mario Bros is a wonderful, wonderful film. I don't care what anybody says, stupid as it is, it's fun as shit to watch.

• Thumbs Up 8

Star Wars Pre-sequels: I don't see what the fucking problem is, don't like them? Stick to first three that Lucas made then! God I for one enjoyed them even if Hayden "angst" Christensen portrayal of Akakin who gets more flak than a WWII bomber.

Also I having nothing bad to say about George Lucas (well apart of maybe Horward the Duck) but if wasn't for this guy or Spielberg we wouldn't have some the most creative movies in hollywood. Also if fans bash him for milking the Stars Wars franchise why do they buy everything he puts out relate to Star Wars?!

Seriously Stars Wars of one of the most annoying hypocritical fanbases on the planet.dry.png

I really like Star Trek: First Contact even though I am not a big fan of Star Trek (Next Generation is okay).

Independence Day is one of my favourite films so much I can remember a ton of the Dialogue, I have seen it that much over the years.blink.png

I enjoy Michael Bays films (apart from Pearl Harbour, I hated the Romance story so fucking wet).

Other people seem less upset about the aliens themselves and are more focused on the fact that the Crystal Skull isn't a religious artifact. My honest opinion: why in the fuck does that matter? An artifact doesn't have to be associated with religion to make it mystical or mysterious, and if we're going to pretend realism is so important in these films like we do with the fridge scene, then I would say aliens are far, far, faaaaaar more plausible then a mystical Hindu rock. But then some people argue that the series centers around religious artifacts, which I also say is poppycock (Holy crap I just used the word "poppycock"). Yes, the first three movies all used religious artifacts. That doesn't mean Indiana Jones can only search for those and those alone. To only use religious artifacts would limit the series potential. Hell, I know tons of people would love to see Search for Atlantis adapted into a film, so would I. Should we forbid that because it has nothing to do with religion? Real life archaeology is full of ancient legends and mystical artifacts that would make a perfect Indy story, and not all of them have to do with modern-day religions.

Well.... the Crystal Skull is kinda used as a religious symbol because the Aliens were worshipped by the tribes that discovered them, I think? I haven't see it in a while but everything in your post I actually agree with you. smile.png

Edited by BW199148
  • Thumbs Up 1

- I think that Tyler Perry should make a movie purely about Madea without her getting overshadowed by a subplot with other characters.

Wish granted!

Hmm as for my opinions

• I think Pokemon 2000 was the best Pokemon movie, if only because of it's wonderful soundtrack and general art direction.
  • As others have said, I enjoyed the Transformers movies especially the 3rd one, that third act was fucking insane.
  • Fuck what anyone says, I love most of the Land Before Time sequels.
  • Space Jam is a fucking awesome movie

I love the Transformers movies.

Cannot stand to watch any of the Harry Potter films. I just can't get into them. Not Harry Potter himself, just those kids really irritate me. And I always feel like the CG is always there for eye candy and nothing more. I haven't watched the Deathly Hallows yet though.

Out of curiousity 3 yrs ago I watched the first Twilight movie online to see what the fuss was about, and I was surprised by how much I liked it. Original, interesting story and good acting. I could really read the emotions on Bella's face. Of course I wouldn't be caught dead going to the theaters to see those movies or be caught dead watching it while someone walked in. I think the screaming fan girls made everyone hate it. Don't care to read the books, I'm just judging it as a film on its own, not because it's cool to hate on it, and it wasn't bad. I haven't seen the other films yet though. So I can't judge the franchise yet.

Spiderman 3 was a great film. Fixed everything that was wrong with the first two.

I actually kind of enjoy Unbreakable. I know, I know, M. Night Shyamalan is terrible, but I found this one to be enjoyable. Just an interesting take on fate.

FAIR WARNING: If you like Tim Burton, don't read the spoiler.

I hate Tim Burton and all of his movies with a fiery passion. Save for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and maybe Batman, all of his movies just don't cut it for me. They try so hard to be dark and wacky, and it comes off as cheesy and childish, including and especially his claymation movies. Yeah, even The Nightmare Before Christmas (this one in particular isn't gross, I just think it tries to hard. And I hate the music.) They always seem to involve corpses and shit, and it's all just too weird for me. His emo cult following doesn't help, either.

I hate James Cameron's Avatar. The reasons have already been said a million times; the predictable story, the predictable characters, and the stupid amount of money it made. It's got pretty effects, that's about it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Here are some unpopular movie opinions of mine:

1. As a fan of the Barney franchise (an unpopular opinion as is), I liked Barney's Great Adventure. Opinions over the film are mostly negative, while even between Barney fans, it's a mixed bag. I know it's flawed in a number of places and isn't exactly true to the franchise (most TV-to-movie adaptations aren't, though), but it holds a place in my heart, being the first film I ever saw in theatres. So, this is one movie I will defend, even if there were some points that I don't think fit in the movie.

2. I actually liked Epic Movie originally (and still think it's better than Disaster Movie for sure). I don't care for it much now, but I feel the guys behind it have made worse films since. =P

3. On the topic of princesses, I'm wondering when Disney will have a lesbian princess.... That'd be a nice twist IMO. (Think something like the childrens book "King and King," but with women)

4. I didn't think Avatar was that great IMO, although it did suck you into the action (mostly with the effects. Everything else.... meh.)

I find the original Alien vastly overrated. Perhaps I should've been exposed to it at a younger age, or maybe my campus over-hyped it last year during Halloween movie night, but I can't appreciate it on the level others do. I didn't find it tense, but rather too long for its own good and boring. I admit though, its gore is sick which is impressive considering the film's age; the practical effects are amazing. I can look at things like Final Destination and Saw easily, but there is something about the chest burster scene that makes me gag. I can't watch it head on. Other than that though, I'm personally not fond of the film itself, but I appreciate its impact and even plan to enjoy Prometheus soon even under the knowledge that it expands on Alien's universe. For some reason, the reuse of the film's title gimmick and the overall aesthetic made me smile.

Akira is a horrible movie

markey_mark_wtf.gif

• Thumbs Up 5

I didn't like the Avengers and don't understand what all the fuss is about.

• Thumbs Up 4

I liked Army of Darkness's original ending more than the re-shot, happier one. Mostly because it followed the formula of the previous two films' endings where something worse happens to Ash each time he gets out of a bind.

I love the Super Mario Bros movie myself for the reason most everyone hates it... It's vastly different from the Mario games and it's an interesting take.

I hate James Cameron's Avatar. The reasons have already been said a million times; the predictable story, the predictable characters, and the stupid amount of money it made. It's got pretty effects, that's about it.

You'd be surprised as to how many people share this opinion actually... It's far from unpopular. Doesn't get as much hate as Twilight, sure , but it is quite big.

Star Wars Pre-sequels: I don't see what the fucking problem is, don't like them? Stick to first three that Lucas made then! God I for one enjoyed them even if Hayden "angst" Christensen portrayal of Akakin who gets more flak than a WWII bomber.

Yeah, I agree, I don't think the Prequels are as bad as everyone makes them out to be... Sure I don't think they surpass the original trilogy, but for what they were, my dad (Who introduced me to the series) and I enjoyed them as well.

Beaten, I did not like Avatar. The first few times I watched it I fell asleep because it's too fucking long. Finally saw the whole film, and it was ok. I'd give it a 75%/100%.

Edited by Mono

Avatar is alright, but it definitely didn't deserve to become the highest grossing film of all time. Feels more like your typical instantly-forgettable summer sci-fi flick then anything else.

It didn't help that, at the time of its release, my brother grew obsessed with this movie and wouldn't shut up about it. He insisted I had to see it because it was, and I quote, "The best movie ever". So after days of nagging I went to see it, expecting some ground-breaking masterpiece. Instead I get a completely predictable story with boring characters. It was average at best, but I couldn't tell my brother that because I would never have heard the end of it. So for weeks and weeks he keeps bugging me to see it again. Same thing happens upon DVD release, then again with the special edition (Which I'll admit was *slightly* better, since it gave Jake a bit more character)

Edited by Speederino

After being hyped up over the first Transformers trailer during one of the Pirates of the Carribean, I was utterly.. utterly.. utterly disappointed when I saw the first movie during the midnight launch. It was so painful to watch that I didn't bother with the sequels.

80's Transformer fan born and true.

I enjoyed GI Joe.. the movie played out exactly as I did with my GI Joe actions figures back in the 80's.

My wifes family dragged me to see a Harry Potter... it's not that I didn't like it, it's just that I didn't understand it (why would a school send their students to compete in a death sport?) So I never got aboard the Harry Potter train.

I enjoyed Batman Begins more than The Dark Knight

Never saw James Camerons Avatar, I refuse to see if after the law suit he filed with Nickelodeon over the rights to the word.

Edited by Jix Hedgehog

- Gremlins (1984) is a better movie than E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982).

- Cars 2 was a pretty good movie, it's not even half as bad as some people claim it is. I enjoyed it better than the first movie, at any rate. It's not perfect, but it's not the worst Pixar movie by any means.

- The Hunger Games movie was mediocre. The book was leagues better, the movie cut out so many important details! Even the Lord of the Rings films were more accurate to the books by comparison.

- The First Transformers movie by Michael Bay was actually pretty good. The sequels to it, on the other hand, can rot in Movie-Hell.

• Thumbs Up 1