Awoo.

Unpopular Movie Opinions!

Winston

I fucking hate "The Titanic" it didn't keep me interested at all and it actually bored me to sleep. I want to rage quit life whenever one of my female friends wants me to watch that movie with them.

I just don't see the appeal to it.

-I thought the first Michael Bay Transformers was decent. 2 and 3 are some of my least favorite movies ever, but for some reason I kinda like the first one.

-I enjoyed Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Yes it was silly, and yes it was far detached from reality. But since when is Indy known for being ultra-realistic? Haters should just turn off their brain and enjoy it for what it is. It's got some fun conflict and action scenes. The ending was stupid, but overall I thought it was a fun ride. Movies like this are much more enjoyable if they aren't taken seriously.

-I think Source Code is a slightly better sci-fi movie than Inception.

-I don't hate the Star Wars prequels. I don't LOVE them, but nothing about them screams "terrible" to me. Even Jar-Jar never bothered me that much. Though it's been a while since I've seen them, so maybe my opinion will change if I watch them again. I don't remember anything about Episode II, which is probably a sign that it was boring, but other than that I don't really have any hate for any of them.

-Not sure how popular/unpopular this opinion is, but Spirited Away is better than every 2D Disney animated movie (that I've seen).

• Thumbs Up 4

What's kind of funny about that Godzilla movie is that what they ended up making almost makes more sense if you imagine that Godzilla is some kind of centuries old fable or myth that the movie is based on.

Howl's Moving Castle is one of Miazaki's better movies. Some people call it confusing, I call them dull. Ok, well I think the problem a lot of people run into is that they don't understand the nature of the castle's front door and a lot of the movie's climax revolves around it.

If the door in the city that was being bombed was struck, the castle would also be damaged. Matters were further complicated when the Witch of the Waste tried to steal Howl's heart from Calcifer. If Calcifer leaves the castle the link is broken but the castle can't hold itself up without him.

Conan the Barbarian is a thematically complex movie that is excellent all around.

The Avenger's movie kind of falls apart when the aliens invade in a lot of ways really. Black Widow is not a frontline fighter and her ability to interrogate was not put to good use, Loki's reason for being there was obvious the moment he stepped onto Nick Fury's ship. Nick Fury's reason for using the Tesseract (which has nothing to do with an actual hypercube, mind you), seems kind of silly when you realize that the Iron Man suit's weapons are apparently good enough to go toe to toe with whoever, the same weapons he had been selling to everyone till he started making arc reactors. Keep in mind this is the same guy who hangs out in a flying aircraft carrier that can also turn invisible. I'm not saying it's bad, but the numbers it's drawing really only have the multiple audiences to thank for the results.

All I wanted from this summer's movie season: "This Summer, Stephen Lang is 'The Leg Fairy'".

Pirates of the Caribbean movies put me to sleep. Characters are bad. They float around and then Johnny Depp runs from people. The focus of the movie changes so often by the end I have no idea what they are trying to do.

These threads aren't unpopular *insert medium* opinions.

You guys are trying to make me cry.

The Twilight movies are sorta awesome if you view them as dark comedies.

If you don't, then you're just left with some rather terrible films, but they aren't the absolute worst in the world or anything; they're part of a fad that's already dying down. The hatedom for Twilight got more vocal and irritating than the actual fandom ages ago, in my eyes.

One shitty romance franchise isn't going to "ruin vampires" forever.

EDIT: I just want to mention that I've only seen movies 2-4, in case that somehow invalidates anything I've said (pff like people take you seriously. gunther, you silly goose.)

Also, put me on the list of people that love the Mario movie. Such a fun film.

Edited by gunthər
  • Thumbs Up 2

- The First Transformers movie by Michael Bay was actually pretty good. The sequels to it, on the other hand, can rot in Movie-Hell.

Isn't that what the majority thinks?

I liked Spiderman 3.

And I've seen alot of Tyler Perry's movies and plays even though it lumps me with every other black person on the planet.

EDIT: Also, I think Sonic's voice from Sonic OVA was great and really fit. And I'm kinda interested in seeing a game based off of it.

Edited by SuperJXJ
  • Thumbs Up 1

Alright here i go:

David Fincher is a terrible filmaker. First he started the ruination of the Alien saga,then he made movies that are boring where people speak in total monotone that doesn't have any kind of substance. The only movie of his that i enjoyed was Benjamin Button because there was actually a deep story with interesting characters. Social Network was boring: The characters are completely one-dimensional and the script basically just goes through the motions without doing anything entertaining or interesting.

Did my Sonic thread influence all these 'unpopular opinon' threads?

*Shrugs*

H-Here I go.

Resident Evil - The first and second movies were good. I don't know if this is considered unpopular or not. But I definitely loved the first one, it was a neat movie loosely based on a good franchise....but then the later ones came and it felt like ',ary sue fights the zombies' the series doesn't even feel like Resident evil anymore

Silent Hill - Was a good movie. Pyramid head looks awesome!

Freddy got fingered - This movie, man. This movie. Laughed so damn hard at it. It's one my top ten favorite movies.

Space Jam - This movie sucked when I was a kid, and it sucks now. Felt like a commercial for that basket ball guy. With the Looney Toons characters shoehorned into it to get an audience. Bunny Lola, yummy <3

Aliens Vs. Predator - I love the Xenomorphs, I love the Predators, I loved the comic books and movies. But darn they got so many things wrong with this movie. Predators only hunt on earth when there's an extreme heat wave going on. They cannot be out in the snow where it's cold. This is just one of my complaints but I'll go off topic if I went on.

Transformers (michael bay) - Sam tries to get the girl! starring the Transformers.

I wanted another movie like the 1986 one where there's lots of action. I knew it'd be different but come on. It felt like the movies revolved around Sam. Optimus Prime was really out of character in the 3rd movie.... that killed it for me.

Resident Evil Films: Enjoy every single one and don't care much for what other people think.

Oh, seen a couple I want to second:

- Yeah I really liked Spiderman 3 as much as the other two. All the villians made for a whole chocolate selection box of really creative fight scenes, and emo Peter Parker was not a bad thing, it was a hilarious thing.

- Yeah Space Jam is a cool movie. Nowadays I mostly just love it for the art though. It's really well animated.

- Avatar isn't a bad movie but was pretty disappointing and predictable after all the hype. As soon as I saw the general and mech things respectively I just KNEW the final encounter would be him taking on the hero(es) head-on in one.

Just to add something new, I was very unimpressed by Watership Down. It's been heralded as this amazing tearjerker of western animation but it didn't make me cry once, and most of the time it was just depressing. And not "movie" tearjerker depressing but kind of war documentary "god this is miserable" depressing. I usually love sad stuff but the only bits I enjoyed was the bird with the silly voice.

In particular the Bright Eyes scene was always referred to as being a real tearjerker but I didn't quite get why. It's a nice song but I don't understand what the big deal was. We KNEW the character was still alive so... what exactly are we getting sad about?

Edited by JezMM

Space Jam - This movie sucked when I was a kid, and it sucks now. Felt like a commercial for that basket ball guy. With the Looney Toons characters shoehorned into it to get an audience. Bunny Lola, yummy <3

Y-y-you don't know w-who Micheal Jordan i-is? Possibly the greatest basketball player to ever pick up the ball!?!?! I think I'm going to pass out lol jk. But nah the guy was already incredibly rich and famous before the movie was even thought of.

Not to mention at that time he retired from basketball so I doubt he was using it for commercial purposes.

Edited by Megabox!
  • Thumbs Up 1

I didn't think the Nolan Batman Movies were as Good as everyone says they are. They have a bit of a Slow pacing to Me, and can drag on a bit with the expositionary Dialogue. I much rather prefer it more like in the Burton Batman Movies, were actions spoke instead of words.

that said, I can still see why so many People praise those Movies, since they are pretty good Movies, and Ledgers Joker (while not my favourite version of the Character) was Great too.

I guess I prefer Comic Book Movies like the Marvel Cinematic Films and Hellboy, who have a nicer Dialogue : Action balance, and don't go completeley the realistic route with the Source Material. Altough I still appreciate those kinds of Adaptations.

I also thought the Bayformers movies were decent, they're not Masterpieces nor my favourite Incarnation of the Franchise, but I enjoyed them.

Lastly, I don't think the Star Wars Prequels are as bad as People make them out to be, the Original Trilogy is still vastly superior and I thought Phantom Menace was Boring, but they still had their Moments.

and Besides, Jedi Samuel L. Jackson, how can you say No to that?

• Thumbs Up 1

Unpopular Movie Opinion of mine is a little tough for me but I'll give it my best shot anyway. I felt that Cars 2 needed more racing action and show the three courses off in their full glory rather than just the one course and parts of the other two since there was a little too much spy action going on. That was just my inner racing fan speaking to me as I watched it last year in theater.

My opinions tend to be ridiculously predictable when it comes to movies, but let's give this a shot:

I traditionally enjoy his movies at least a little, but Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland was one of the worst things I've seen in a theatre. It hurt me to see the words "from the director of Alice in Wonderland" in the Frankenweenie trailer as if that's something to be proud of compared to anything else he's made.

...dunno if that's actually unpopular or not (especially in the wake of Dark Shadows), but Alice at least made a ton of money so somebody must have liked it. And like I said, there are plenty of Burton's movies that I like a lot; Alice was uncommonly awful even within that context.

I'm also gonna echo Alexander that the 1998 Godzilla remake is a decent movie. It's really nothing like a Godzilla movie (they couldn't have even thrown in the Oxygen Destroyer or something?), but it's fun enough as a standalone monster flick with Jean Reno being a supreme badass.

I liked X-Men 3, possibly even more than the first two. Maybe? I only ever saw it the one time, so I guess I didn't think it was fantastic or anything, but I'm pretty sure I had fun with it.

Edited by Octarine
  • Thumbs Up 3

• Seconding Speederino's Kingdom of the Crystal Skull opinion. I really liked the movie! I saw it at a Saturday morning matinee, perfect for the type of movies it is inspired by. Loved the American Graffiti reference in the opening. Liked just about everything in the movie. It's my third favorite movie in the series behind Last Crusade and Raiders. Bring on the blu-ray!

• I love the Star Wars Prequels, and the Star Wars sites I frequent love them too. So I don't really feel like this is an unpopular opinion unless you're dealing with bitter film nerds. If you love the originals, and hate the prequels with a passion, then I am sorry but you are not a Star Wars fan. You like 50% of the saga, thus you give it an F. Sorry dudes! Prequels are BRIMMING with symbols and the whole PT plays out like a mirror image of the OT. I love that aspect. Also, best characters from the prequels: Qui-Gon, Padme, Anakin (Ep III), PALPATINE, Jango, Watto, Wat Tambor, Maul, Dooku, Grevious, Obi-Wan.

Freddy Got Fingered is a bad movie, but it is a great bad movie with a number of scenes that I love. I loved the cheese sandwich factory scene, daddy would you like some sausage, the cheese sandwich scene, the restaurant scene, the therapy session and his completed cartoon at the end.

Forgive the ad on the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoG74IezJs4

• Thumbs Up 2

In retrospect, Scott Pilgrim was not that good of a movie. It was good, but it could have been better.

• Thumbs Up 1

In retrospect, Scott Pilgrim was not that good of a movie. It was good, but it could have been better.

They did as good as they could compressing 6 books into 2 hours I think, but had the movie been the original source, something like 4 to 5 evil exes would have worked much better.

Though my general dislike was the lack of development in the side characters. All of them had to more or less be reduced down to their one big thing (Kim is sarcastic and nothing else, Stephen Stills is obsessed with the band and nothing else, Wallace is a drunk and nothing else, etc). Granted all the actors did a fantastic job bringing the book characters to life, it's just a shame those who only saw the movies didn't get to see all their extra details explored.

Generally though they included MOST of the scenes I'd consider essential (I forgive anything missing from books 5 and 6 for development reasons) and almost all the new additions was pretty funny.

For example, the "in lesbians with you" joke was a lot funnier in the context it was presented in the original book, but the later callback to the joke outside the club in the movie makes up for it.

• Thumbs Up 1