Awoo.

Unpopular Movie Opinions!

Winston

I think that this alternate ending to Titanic was leagues ahead of the final ending;

I think the most important aspect of this ending was how it put another layer onto Rose's characterization; How she was utterly determined to not live off what was basically Hockley's money and she did not sell the Heart of the Ocean. Besides, she provided a comfortable life to her offspring and had a fulfilling life by becoming an actress and doing hard work, so she arguably accomplished more and had a more productive and rewarding life than what she probably would have if she became stinking rich easily.

It also teaches Lovett a lesson; There's more to life than obsessively seeking out treasure and that he already has a priceless treasure - His life.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cars 2 and WALL-E are the best Pixar movies.

I fail to see how liking WALL-E is unpopular. Cars 2 on the other hand....

Oh, goody! I like topics like this.

I love the Star Wars prequels. Not like, love. I enjoy the story, the characters, and the action in all three of them. I don't think they're flawless masterpieces and there are parts that I dislike, but I do think that they are very true to the original trilogy, right down to the cheesy dialogue. Moreover, Revenge of the Sith is my favourite film in the entire saga, as well as one of my favourite films of all time.

While I'm on the subject of Star Wars, Return of the Jedi is also my favourite film in the original trilogy. I don't know what people have against Ewoks, but that seems to be the main objection most people have to the film. In any case, it's not an objection I share. Furthermore, I have the complete saga on Blu-Ray and, while a couple of the latest alterations (and a couple of the older ones) annoy me, most of them don't.

Also, while I may be asking for trouble in doing so, I'm afraid I must cautiously echo Barry the Nomad's opinion concerning fans of the series. But, to be fair, we ought to acknowledge that the Star Wars franchise is bigger than just the six live action theatrical films; there have been comics since the beginning and there are always new ones being published, as well as novels, cartoon spinoffs, videogames, etc. Star Wars has a huge expanded universe, most of which is considered canon, but of which I'm only vaguely familiar, and I'm sure that's probably true of most fans of the series; so I think we ought to exercise caution when we tell folks that don't care for the prequels that they are "not true fans". After all, what is a "true fan"? Is it someone who likes only a specific subset of the films, someone who likes all or most of the films, or someone who likes all or most of everything Star Wars related? And what gives us the right to decide that anyway? We might take a similar view of fans of the Alien franchise; most fans love the first two films, but they don't care for Alien 3 or Alien Resurrection, to say nothing of the two Alien vs. Predator films. That's four out of six films that most Alien fans either dislike or abjectly hate. Are they still Alien fans...? What about all the comics and videogames? And what about Ridley Scott's recent declaration that only Alien and Aliens are now canon? Does Word of God make any difference? If so, then Greedo shot first.

Nevertheless, despite the difficulties in defining a "true fan", I do sympathise with Barry the Nomad's point of view, especially given how so many of the original trilogy purists seem to think that Return of the Jedi was ruined by Ewoks and some will also say that A New Hope is boring. If the only part of Star Wars you really like is The Empire Strikes Back, is it really fair to call yourself a Star Wars fan and to denigrate the people who enjoy the prequels as not being true fans...? I don't think so, but I dare say there are folks who disagree.

Anyways, moving on.

I think the 1996 Doctor Who TV movie is actually okay. Far from great, mind you, but I thought Paul McGann made an excellent Doctor and would have been fantastic in the role if the series had been renewed there and then. But, given that the plan was to bring the series back with substantial American involvement, I'm kind of glad it didn't work out.

I also disagree with conventional wisdom that says the odd-numbered Star Trek movies suck. The Motion Picture (or, as I like to call it, The Slow-Motion Picture) leaves a lot to be desired; it’s too long, the pacing is mind-numbingly slow, the plot is basically a recycled story from season 2 of the original series (to be specific, The Changeling), and it largely plays out as a showcase of what were probably very impressive special effects in 1979, but aren’t all that spectacular today. I also don’t care for The Final Frontier, which could have been good, if Shatner hadn’t tried to forcibly sodomise so much humour into it (along with all the unintentional comedy), nor do I like Insurrection because it passed up an opportunity for a real, intelligent discussion about a major ethical issue (one of the things science fiction—Star Trek in particular—is really good at) in favour of pantomime villains, mindless action sequences, and unnecessary romance.

However, I really like The Search for Spock. It’s a great exploration of the three main characters in classic Star Trek (Kirk, Spock, and McCoy) and their relationship with each other. It’s a very emotional film as well, given that we witness the destruction of the original Enterprise and the lengths Kirk is willing to go to in order to save his friend. It also has Christopher Lloyd as Commander Kruge, the first definitive Klingon, and that’s just plain awesome.

I also enjoy Generations. Seems a lot of people don’t, but I’m not really sure why. I don’t think it’s as good as The Search for Spock, mind you, and it does have glaring errors in it that are a little annoying, but I largely think it’s a acceptable film. Certainly better than the bad ones I listed.

Also, flying in the face of conventional wisdom that says the even-numbered films are the better ones, I think Nemesis is terrible. If you want a sci-fi action flick, then this is the film for you. But I’d like something deeper from my Star Trek, thank you very much.

Finally, I think I’ll wrap up with just a few quick ones.

While most people like Part II the best, Back to the Future Part III is actually my favourite in the series.

I like The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

At Worlds End is my favourite film in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. But I utterly despised On Stranger Tides.

I like Austin Powers: Goldmember. Not as much as the first two, but I still think it’s a good laugh.

I really like The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions. Unlike some people, I consider The Matrix to be a trilogy (like it actually is), not a stand alone film that never had a sequel.

I thought Terminator: Salvation was pretty good.

I do not like The Expendables.

I like Iron Man 2 better than the original Iron Man. I also think Captain America, not Iron Man, is the best of the pre-Avengers films.

I think Prometheus is ponderous, self-important, badly written, and badly acted shite. The special effects look excellent though.

I quite like the 2010 remake of Clash of the Titans. I didn’t care as much for the sequel, however.

I really enjoyed The Spirit. Having never read the comics, I didn’t really care how faithfully the film adapted them. It was an entertaining flick and Samuel L. Jackson stole the show.

I absolutely hate The Watchmen. Slow, preachy, and just not fun to watch. If I hadn’t gone to see it with a friend, I’d have got up and walked out within the first ten minutes.

Beowulf is just plain fun!

While I was disappointed by Shrek the Third, I think Shrek Forever After is actually not bad. I quite enjoyed watching it, honestly.

I really enjoy Masters of the Universe. Frank Langella as Skeletor is amazing.

I thought John Carter was fun. Incredibly silly, but fun.

My final point has nothing to do with any particular film, but with cinema in general. I am not at all sold on either 3D or IMAX. 3D is a pointless addition to any film it’s ever been added to; if a film needs 3D to carry it, it’s probably not otherwise that good. Moreover, post-production 3D has typically been dreadful and smacks of a last minute studio decision to rake in more money. If I’m with like-minded friends, I’ll take a film in 2D every time. But IMAX is the real thing that pisses me off. I just do not see what all the fuss is about; it’s a bigger screen with louder speakers, but aside from that, I’m not seeing a dramatic jump in quality. Moreover, even if the pictures are “crystal clear”, that doesn’t make the film better (for instance, Prometheus still sucked even though I paid extra to see it in IMAX). And besides, I don’t go to the cinema for a sensory overload; I go to see a film. I’ll take a regular screen in 2D every time.

• Thumbs Up 4

An odd film opinion?

I really like the first Spiderman movie. I hated the sequel Spiderman 2 which was complete rubbish. Then I watched Spiderman 3 which I though was excellent-best one of the three.

I recently re-watched Balto, and a little bit of introspection made me realize Balto himself isn't that interesting a protagonist. His biggest and arguably only flaw is just doubting himself, an arc which is displayed inconsistently as the character will alternate between extreme shows of bravery to quivering self-pity depending on what the story calls for. Otherwise, Balto is indeed extremely brave, as well as extremely moral, not wanting to fight Steele despite all the shit that malamute put him through. Balto's also the fastest and strongest sled dog due to his wolf heritage and the smartest too, able to figure out how to create a readable trail in the storm and lead the other dogs, and overall a genuine nice guy. And of course, he gets the most beautiful dog in the village. For all intents and purposes, he's a near-perfect hero, and in turn it makes Steele such a one-dimensional bully whose maliciousness is so over-the-top that it delves way too strongly into cliche'. I think a more realistic approach to Balto's predicament, perhaps a little bit of misanthropy, would've gone towards making the film's narrative stronger.

Still love the animation and James Horner's score, though. Lawdy, that movie is gorgeous. Boris and Muk and Luk are also amusing. But yeah, the actual plot isn't all that great. It's become a guilty pleasure for me now. =P

Edited by Nepenthe

If DC is really planning a Reeboot of the Green Lantern movie (cause it was just bullshit) I would like John Stewart to be the main character, played by Idris Elba.

The animation and music are excellent and the story and characters are good enough to carry a 90 minute running time. It's considered a cult classic; didn't do well in theaters due to Toy Story but found a large and loyal following afterwards, big enough to fund two sequels several years later which are naturally mediocre. The movie's certainly worth a watch if you can find it, but if I were to be picky, I can't blame critics for not being so warm to it when it came out. xD

The movie is actually based on a true story, with some liberties taken (for instance, the real life Balto was a full-bred Siberian Husky and not a wolf-dog hybrid like he is in the movie).

And it is a pretty decent movie, I'd at least give it a try.

Plus that ending credits song. <3

Talking of animated cult classics, I watched The Secret of Nimh a couple of years ago, because it seemed to be very popular among furries. I thought it was okay, but nothing special; no better or worse, really, than any other Don Bluth films from that era.

I think Nimh was considered great because it kicked the socks off of a lot of Disney productions at the time. Not all of them of course; (Basil:) The Great Mouse Detective and Rescuers Down Under were great.

The book is great though. (Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh)

I love the 1990s.

Do you or is the fanbase overrated?

Edited by Applejack1973

After watching the trailer for the Resident Evil movie. I know realize the later movies aren't even for the fans of the games no more. They're just their for the brain dead kids who would watch anything with cool explosions and what not.

I think it's safe to say that you'd have to have really low standards if you actually anticipate the release of each movie in the series.

The first movie was a great movie loosely based on the video game series.

Same with the second, even throwing in a couple of references to the games (Camera angles and what not)

The thirdwhat the hell?

Am I even watching resident evil? Seems like the series is just now using the resident evil name just to sell.

Fourth movie = Slow motion effects: The movie

I pity you if you even got some enjoyment out of this

Just watched "The Legendary Super Saiyan, Broly" yesterday. That was terrible, it took all the bad parts of DBZ and shit it into a movie.

After watching the trailer for the Resident Evil movie. I know realize the later movies aren't even for the fans of the games no more. They're just their for the brain dead kids who would watch anything with cool explosions and what not.

I think it's safe to say that you'd have to have really low standards if you actually anticipate the release of each movie in the series.

The first movie was a great movie loosely based on the video game series.

Same with the second, even throwing in a couple of references to the games (Camera angles and what not)

The thirdwhat the hell?

Am I even watching resident evil? Seems like the series is just now using the resident evil name just to sell.

Fourth movie = Slow motion effects: The movie

I pity you if you even got some enjoyment out of this

Yeah well don't because a fact of life is people will like things that you don't.

I dislike Dubstep but I don't considered them to have low standards just that they different tastes in music than I do.wink.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah well don't because a fact of life is people will like things that you don't.

I dislike Dubstep but I don't considered them to have low standards just that they different tastes in music than I do.wink.png

Oh boy, you really showed me.

Edit: You're allowed to have an opinion on someone's personal taste, you know?

Edited by Alice Twilight
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think "Gaston" is a much better disney villain song than "Hellfire". Come at me Disney bros!

I thought Napoleon Dynamite was fucking atrocious.

Edited by Zinos

• 4 months later...

I don't really have a strong opinion on the Star Wars films. Sure, the originals are good and the newer stuff I remember being less good, but I don't have any feelings of "omg this is awesome/shit" at all, even if they are iconic.

I don't really have a strong opinion on the Star Wars films. Sure, the originals are good and the newer stuff I remember being less good, but I don't have any feelings of "omg this is awesome/shit" at all, even if they are iconic.

Yeah I am the same. I just don't really get Star Wars, and yet I like the Star Trek films, especially the most recent one.

Yeah I am the same. I just don't really get Star Wars, and yet I like the Star Trek films, especially the most recent one.

To be frank, I could never get into Star Trek, I'm practically more of a Star Wars guy, especially growing up with the prequels :V

Avatar was a bland and predictable movie. And 2 hours too long.

Edited by Homem