Awoo.

Unpopular Movie Opinions!

Winston

I enjoyed Transformers: Dark of the Moon. I thought it was a HUGE step up from the Revenge of the Fallen, and I thought it was just as good as the first if not better. i don't see why it's dismissed as another bad sequel like the second one, it's miles better.

I liked Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. it probably helps that I haven't really seen the original trilogy (only parts of Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade).

Spider-Man 3 is rather entertaining at parts, I'd consider it alright. Not great like the first two but it's not bad (I'd even say the "bad" parts make it so bad it's good :P).

I like the live-action adaptation of How the Grinch Stole Christmas! if only for Jim Carrey alone.

Having not seen the original film, I recall liking The Matrix Reloaded.

I think Cars is a great film.

Although I have a VERY nostalgic soft spot for Space Jam (which is awesome), I think Looney Tunes: Back In Action is a better film.

In retrospect the premise and plot is rather old hat, but otherwise Money Talks is arguably one of my favorite action-comedies ever-if only for Chris Tucker's performance alone, I think it's one of his best, it's up there with Friday and Rush Hour. Also love the chemistry he and Charlie Sheen have against each other as well. :D

I found Brave to be seriously underwhelming, and think it's Oscar win was undeserved. This is the only movie I can think of that I've seen and dislike but other people like.

Last but not least, I massively enjoyed Norbit. :P

• Thumbs Up 2

Wreck it Ralph is over rated. I love the video game character cameos, and I enjoy John C. Reilly and Jane Lynch in their roles. but Sarah Silverman just got on my nerves, and too much of the movie was spent in sugar rush. 

World War Z was the worst movie of the summer. I could care less about any character in the movie, the cinematography was complete and utter shit, making it hard for me to see what was going on half the time with so much stuff on the screen, and the twist of zombies ignoring you was down right stupid, plus their groaning and attempt to be threatening was laughable. How anyone can consider Man of Steel worse than World War Z is beyond me.

I prefer the original Terminator theme over Terminator 2's. As epic as T2's is, Terminator 1's is a lot more reserved, cold and empty feeling, which fits the mechanic nature of The Terminator perfectly. 

Edited by Chaos Incarnate

I do not like the Batmobile's design in the Nolan series. 

The mechanical designer on that movie had no idea what he was doing.  I assume from the faceted surface that the tumbler was supposed to have a low observable radar profile, but a faceted surface isn't inherently stealthy (The F-117 is only faceted because that's all the surfaces their computer could calculate), nothing else about the design is stealthy with broken surfaces all over the place, and radar isn't useful against ground vehicles anyway.  For a supposedly armored vehicle, so many integral systems are basically out in the open.  I could go on but the design is just a mess. 

And honestly the whole trilogy was a mess.  Begins didn't really make a splash when it came out and dark knight's success was mostly predicated on the success of Ledger being a good psycho.  Rises is really just a bad movie, the plot is basically Batman gets out-punched so he does sit ups while watching The Dark Knight Rises and then comes back and out punches Bane.  

>I don´t find Ghibli movies...charming at all. Classics like "Howl´s castle" , "Spirited Away" or "Princess Mononoke"...I didn´t like them at all.

I´ll admit that I liked "Naussica", "Castle in the sky", but...that´s it. 

>I find Toy Story 3 very overrated. It was okay but...that´s it. I guess I am too nostalgic.

>I LOVE " A Bug´s Life". It´s one of my favourite Pixar movies.

Edited by Ristar

Any movie that sprawls on too long, or takes itself too seriously.

For example, I recently watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I generally understood what happened, but my overall feel was: Why? Why did you have waste so much time with useless waffle.

I also dislike the new "Edgy" direction for superhero movies. I've only seen two of the Batman movies, but they didn't feel like Batman - more like some kind of gangster/mob movies.

• 6 months later...

I think The Princess and the Frog is a better film than Tangled, and to an extent Frozen. I simply find the characters in PaTF much better developed, especially Tiana, probably the best realized Disney princess out there. The film felt like a much more fresh innovation of the Disney Renaissance formula, while Tangled and Frozen at times feel like they're trying awfully hard to be modern or hip. Try to count how many times each of the main characters in each film say something along the lines of "totally" or "like".

"Can't tell if I'm elated or gassy, but I'm somewhere in that zooooone!"

Ugh.

Another thing: PaTF's music. My god, is the music great. Randy Newman's score and songs in that film are pure bliss, and each of the songs are all earworms. Catchy, memorable, and do a good job at moving along the plot. Tangled's songs however, were completely unnecessary and at best, were background noise. I like Frozen's songs for the most part, Let It Go and Do You Want To Build A Snowman in particular being the showstoppers, but Fixer Upper and In Summer were nothing but glaring big-lipped alligator moments.

• Thumbs Up 6

Another thing: PaTF's music. My god, is the music great. Randy Newman's score and songs in that film are pure bliss, and each of the songs are all earworms. Catchy, memorable, and do a good job at moving along the plot. Tangled's songs however, were completely unnecessary and at best, were background noise. I like Frozen's songs for the most part, Let It Go and Do You Want To Build A Snowman in particular being the showstoppers, but Fixer Upper and In Summer were nothing but glaring big-lipped alligator moments.

I can sort of agree with you on this. Whilst PatF had decent songs (Friends on the Other Side is the best Disney villain song ever!) the score was really lovely to listen to. I don't actually remember anything from Tangled's score and Frozen? I remember the beginning and end Sami chanting. That's it.

My unpopular opinion (I think it is anyway) is that I think the songs in Frozen, while not perfect, are MUCH better than the songs in Tangled. First of all, Tangled only has, what, four songs? Second, the only really good one is Mother Knows Best which is a villain song. I See the Light is nice but it's not a song I can listen to on repeat. The other songs are just poppy and annoying.

This is is why I don't understand why most people were so pissed off when Alan Menken wasn't doing the score for Frozen because I think Robert Lopez was a great choice! The songs and score in Tangled were probably Menken's weakest yet and I doubt they'd be any better in Frozen. =[ And Frozen has its duds like Fixer Upper, but the rest with Let it Go especially being the showstopper are real earworms and you can listen to them on repeat easily. Maybe we will see a return of Alan Menken in the upcoming Giants or Moana, but for now he deserves a break from Disney.

• Thumbs Up 1

I suppose this goes here.

I just finished watching Secret of Kells. Frickin amazing film, by the way. I gotta say, I love stylized art and animation like this. A lotta big-time blockbuster companies try to make their animated films as real looking and "neat" as possible, but they forget the main idea of cartooning and animation is to escape and go beyond the realms of reality. Rather than be bound by the laws of the real world, make your art look unique and wondrous. I'm not saying neater animated films are bad, they certainly can be incredibly imaginative, but for me, they don't seem to stick with me as much as the more stylized ones.

This is the kinda stuff I hope to do once I start doing animation. Rather than attempt to make my art look as realistic and neat as possible I want to practically give it it's own visual style.

Shrek the Third was a good movie.

I haven't seen it in years, but looking back, it has a lot of funny moments. Like when Arthur's trying to talk down an angry mob of mooks:

Arthur: "...and the only one standing in your way... is you."

Small mook: "Me?"

Bigger mook: "Get him, lads."

And then they all start to attack him before Arthur quickly stops them.

While it's not as good as the first two, I really don't understand how so many people label Spiderman 3 as one of the worst movies ever. I liked it. Yeah it had more than it could chew here n there but I enjoyed watching it.

• 1 year later...

Bumpity Bumpity Bump. It's been a year or so, we need to revive this thread. 

You know how Chipwrecked beat the Deathly Hallows in the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards? Yeah, they deserved that. I haven't watched the second part but god, the first part was absolutely dreadful. It was so boring, I can't even begin with this film. And it dragged on and on and on. No wonder I fell asleep in the theater. Chipwrecked on the other hand...best film of the Chipmunks franchise. You know, I honestly don't get all the hate the live action movies. Lots of people call them "lazy" and "effortless" but have they really seen the films? There's a clear amount of effort put into these films and it really shows. 

First film. Not only does it establish how the chipmunks met Dave and how everything happened, but it teaches a great lesson about how fame and fortune isn't everything. I've well aware this moral has been taught a million times but I just really like how this film does it. I liked the contrast between Dave and Ian. While Dave genuinely cares for the chipmunks and loves them as they were his own, Ian only wants the money and popularity that comes with it and could care less about them if they weren't so popular. He overworks them  and tries to sugarcoat it by getting them tons of stuff. I also like how he tries to act like Dave doesn't care about them in order to turn the chipmunks against him. 

Second film. Now I'll admit, this is the weakest film in the franchise. Not too big a fan of how little Dave appears in this one and how it seems like a rehash of the first film. Seriously. I don't like the Chipettes. They're basically female versions of the chipmunks, there's like no difference in their personalities except perhaps being more boring. I much preferred the high school plot to the rehash of the first film but with the Chipettes instead plot. However, there is once scene I think really stands out. When the bullies at school are making fun of Theodore for being fat, I just love how this instantly makes Alvin and Simon attack them. It really shows how much they care for them. I feel like if this scene was put in Adventure Time or something, it would be praised and regarded as something most kids' shows/movies wouldn't do these days. But nope, because it's in Alvin and the Chipmunks, it doesn't matter. 

Third film. A major step up from the previous film. This film's quality surpasses the first and I really don't see why people think it's the worst of the bunch. When Chipwrecked has a lower rating than Fifty Shades Of Grey, you know there's a serious problem. But anyway, I really love what they did with Alvin in this film. His character development is great. It shows him maturing and becoming more responsible due to the situation they're in and I love that. Also, I absolutely adore how he doubts that Dave will be coming for them due to his behavior and all the things he's put Dave through. It's amazing and I hate how everyone just ignores it. 

Everyone views these movies as quick cash grabs but I really don't see them as that. I see them as wonderful films with tons of efforts put into them. When I watch these movies, I don't get the feeling that the writers were bored and just typed a whole bunch of junk on the keyboard. I really do feel like they tried their best with these movies. Sure, money is probably the main reason why we're getting so many of them since the critical reception has been absolutely atrocious but I do feel that the writers try their best to make these movies good. Sadly, they can't ever win, now can they? Oh well, as long as these things keep making money I'm sure we'll see more and that's absolutely fine with me. 

Hulk Hogan has made some of the greatest "It's-rainy-outside-and-it's-my-day-off-so-fuck-it-I'll-just-watch-a-movie" movies of all time.

Mr Nanny, Santa With Muscles, No Holds Barred, if you're looking for something cheesy and fun to turn on and turn off your mind, you can't go wrong with the Hulkster.

nan.jpg

I don't know why Ghibli's Ponyo gets so much hate, it's really not that bad! Sure it's not Spirited Away, but I found it adorable at points and as per Ghibli it has gorgeous animation. I also think the character of Ponyo is cute though admittedly she does act and look a bit weird. XD;; Anyway, it's a decent enough flick. Not Miyazaki's strongest, but still cute.

Now if you wanna see a really bad Ghibli movie, watch Tales of Earthsea. It's like the Black Cauldron of Ghibli, nay, worse.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey found it. At least it's a relatively small bump for me, but I just thought of something.

Okay, you guys know Disney's Bambi right? The 1940 animated feature about the deer who lives his life. And you lot know why everyone know Bambi, right? It has one of the most memorable deaths in the history of animated film, one which is cited as one of the saddest moments ever. Well, my unpopular opinion is this; while I do recall the death scene, it's not too memorable for me. There's three things about the film I remember more;

1. The scene where Bambi is introduced to Flower. I dunno why, but that stuck with me.

2. The songs, namely Love is a Song, Little April Showers and Let's Sing a Gay Little Spring Song. The middle one especially is just such an ear worm and I love it.

3. The art direction during the fight/fire scene. Just the body details simplified to the point where they're almost silhouettes at times, with the only highlight being a sliver across one edge that changes colour on surrounding and mood. People keep thinking of Bambi as the cutesy film, but geebus no, look at it;

Bambi-Ronno-Fight-3.jpg

That doesn't look cute, it looks dangerous. And it's so goddamn good.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh! OOH! I've got one!

Superman: The Movie (1978) is...awful. I cannot fathom how it can possibly be so well-beloved. Maybe just because it's a movie about Superman...which I can understand, but not relate to. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the character of Superman, but this movie failed to capture anything I love about him, so to me it was just dismal. (Spoilers ahead BTW)

It's not just that the movie hasn't aged well (though make no mistake, it sure hasn't). It's also the fact that the plotline ranges from boring to stupid to really stupid and the characterization could scarcely be less compelling, especially when it comes to Superman. In most depictions of the character, Clark himself - perhaps with the aid of his adoptive parents - comes to the decision to use his powers for good. But in this movie, the he has to be told by Jor-El. He wonders what the purpose of his powers is, but doesn't come up with anything. Seriously? The thought doesn't even occur to him that maybe, just maybe, the reason why he can do things others can't do is to help people and do good?

Maybe this would be more forgivable if there was some other proof that Clark had some goodness in him not derived from being told by Jor-El to be good, but there's not. Before his meeting with his space daddy, he doesn't do any sort of good deed, or even do anything that just makes us think, "That Clark is a pretty nice guy!" In fact, you could argue he looks like a bit of a jerk, saying he wants to "rip apart" people who tease him (which might be justified if the movie did a good job of making us sympathize with him, but it doesn't, especially since the teasing seems pretty mild), and leaving his mother straight after she was widowed for no adequately explained reason. The only good deed I can think of in the entire movie that can't be attributed to Jor-El is Clark sending money back home to his mom. Which is nice, but...overall, it's still pretty bleak. Especially since Clark sending money to his mom isn't exactly the focus of the movie.

The upshot is, this movie failed to convince me that Superman was actually a good person. He's an alien who was told by his alien daddy that he was special and that he should help humanity as a result. That's it. That's not really "being a good person". It almost feels like it's his feeling of superiority from his alien heritage that makes him want to help the world. Am I reading too much into it? Maybe, but what else am I supposed to conclude? When a movie does as bad a job as this one does of showing you the protagonist's motives, I have to reach for something.

That's, perhaps, the key to why Superman's character was so awful. It's not that they were intentionally making him look like this. It's that they weren't even bothering to treat him as an actual character. They didn't feel the need to make Superman an actual person with actual motives or an actual personality. He's just a really lame Jesus analogue, I guess. I'm a Christian and I love Jesus with all my heart. That doesn't mean I think a pre-existing character should be reduced to an allegory, especially a really shallow one that fails to illuminate anything meaningful about either the character or Jesus.

Christopher Reeve's acting doesn't help, either. I'm sorry, it doesn't. I'm not good at analyzing acting, but Chris' Supes displays a staggering lack of personality, realism, or true emotion (aside from an outburst or two I guess).

Of course, that's not the only problem with Superman in this movie. The other problem is that Superman failed to show any sort of actual competence or fortitude or bravery or ingenuity or any sort of quality associated with a hero. When Lex finds his weakness, he completely fails to do anything to overcome it. The day is saved by the stupidity of Lex Luthor in sending a missile to the place where his henchman's mother lives, and said henchman getting upset enough to save Superman! Seriously!! 

In the end, this Superman is just a guy who has powers who's capable of using said powers. And that's all. Whoop de doo doo. Normally, at least we can look at his life as Clark Kent and see that he's a competent reporter, but in this movie..hahaha, no.

Of course, there are other flaws, such as the amazing leap of logic Lex Luthor makes to deduce the existence of Kryptonite based on no evidence, or the really really stupid part at the end where Superman reverses time, or Krypton being really boring...but the biggest flaw is Superman himself. Despite my love for Superman, I can completely understand why someone would hate Superman based on this movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Godzilla 1998 is a great movie, just not a good Godzilla movie. It will always be special to me.

I actually quite like The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey! Can't say what I think of the other two (heard they're crap) but having only seen the first one in the cinema I thought it was enjoyable and had moments of pure greatness; the Dwarves visiting Bilbo's house, Bilbo meeting Gollum and even seeing Rivendell again were fantastic scenes! There were some stupid bits like Radagast and his rustabouts or whatever those bunnies are called and the goblin king, but other than that I thought it was pretty damn good!

And I feel like I'm the only one who thinks so. DX

At this point, I don't even know if this qualifies as unpopular or not, but I really couldn't think of Frozen as anything but average and I didn't get the appeal. What's so special about it? What's the appeal? It's certainly far from stereotype defying and mold breaking. It has a few catchy songs and a very average storyline, and I just didn't see why it got so much praise.

Not to say it's a bad movie or that I hated it - I just found it to be extremely average and par for the course. It's only been a few months since I saw it for the first time and I'm having trouble recalling specifics from the movie itself, because nothing was really that noteworthy.