Awoo.

Doom 3 BFG Edition, Remastered! PS3! Trophies! New Levels! DLC! In 3D! Doom 1! Doom 2! And it's all yours if the price... IS RIGHT!

Badnik Mechanic

Doom 3 is being remade!

Hooray!?

Well... it's quite a good remake if you look at the details. Called the "Doom 3 BFG Edition" it includes the following..

* Remastered game: Not sure what specifically this will be, however the game will now work with 3D TV's if you have one, so I dunno you'll get monsters coming out at you or something? Oh yeah and enhanced graphics. According to the press release, it featuring 5.1 surround sound, Xbox 360 Achievements, PlayStation 3 trophies, improved rendering and lighting, and a new check point save system allowing for smoother progression through the game.

* Comes with the DLC/Expansion & New 'lost levels': Yes there is indeed new content coming to Doom 3. Will it be any good or not is anyones guess.

*The flashlight issue has been fixed: YAY! I have no clue what that is, but aparently it's been fixed.

* Doom 1 and Doom 2 is also on the disk: If you hate Doom 3, you'll also be able to play Doom 1 & Doom 2 as they'll also be included in the release.

Coming to the PC, PS3 & Xbox 360... sometime.

Source:

So urm... is this good?

• Thumbs Up 2

So urm... is this good?

I was lukewarm when I read Doom 3 Remaster. It was a relatively disappointing game.

Then I read Doom 1 and 2 being included.

Yes. This is good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Reading the topic title, anyone would think this is the second coming or something. I might* have to edit it and tone it down, it's fucking ridiculous.

As for this, it's not a remake Hogfather, get your facts straight: it's a remaster. That's quite a different affair to a remake. It's the same game with a fresh lick of paint. Of course, given that consoles didn't get a proper good version of D3, I suppose this remastering is long overdue.

Also, no trailer in the OP? Come on.

I'm just sore because id takes fucking forever to announce its games, and it always seems to prioritize Doom over Quake. I just want Q5 to be announced, and I want Q1's story to be continued by another dev team.

* Don't worry, I won't change it, I just think that it just looks cluttered, and that sort of thing annoys the pedant in me.

• Thumbs Up 1

BFG Edition?

Big Fucking Gun.

Reading the topic title, anyone would think this is the second coming or something. I might have to edit it and tone it down, it's fucking ridiculous.

The topic title is perfect! Also he says it's remastered in the title.

You really need to re-do the topic title, you made this sound like it was PS3 only. Plus your post could use some re-writing too (too much gushing bro).

Well, this is good. I own the original DOOM 3 for Xbox so I would love to see what is different between the 2 versions.

Edited by goku262002

*The flashlight issue has been fixed: YAY! I have no clue what that is, but aparently it's been fixed.

Ah, the notorious Doom 3 flashlight. Back during the original release in 2004 (8 years, oh my!), the flashlight functioned as an equippable weapon, meaning you had to constantly switch between it and your guns in order to navigate dark areas. This, in a game that is made up almost entirely of dark areas. Needeless to say, a mahoosive shitstorm got kicked up about it, and the aptly named 'Duct Tape' mod (which made the flashlight operate á la Half Life 2/Left4Dead) was released within a week.

The fact they feel the need to mention it as a feature of this remastering shows they still haven't lived it down.

Anyway, Doom 3 was fun, if a bit flawed; it was a corridor shooter released just a FPS games began to become more open, and it was hyped as being a bit of a horror game, though in the end the horror elements just consisted of jump scares.

I shall be definitely be keeping an eye on this.

• Thumbs Up 1

You really need to re-do the topic title, you made this sound like it was PS3 only. Plus your post could use some re-writing too (too much gushing bro).

I didn't realize this was the "criticize Hogfather's post" topic.

Some of your posts are heavily leaning on backseat modding. I suggest you stop it.

Hey I didn't start it, but I get it. I'll stop...

So this does include the (at the time) PC DLC right? I allways wanted to try that. DOOM 3 has allways been a mixed bag with me, at first I was really dissapointed with it not being a true sequal to the classic DOOM games (Kind of made me not buy it actually). but then I recieved it as a birthday present so I gave it a try and I did like what they did with it. Just allways made me wonder why they put "3" in it if it was intended to be a reboot/remake? still didn't make sense to me.

But reguardless, its a good DOOM game. and hopefully this remaster will fix allot of the issues I had with the original.

Is anybody else a bit suspicious that the main reason we're seeing Doom 3 return might be to raise awareness of the brand ahead of the release of a possible Doom 4 sometime next year?

Would that make any sense?

• Thumbs Up 2

Seeing how most re-releases/remasters are made to pave ways for upcoming titles then yes. It's easy to skim through the history; God of War Trilogy and God of War 3, Ratchet Trilogy and Ratchet Full Frontal Assault, Sands of Time Trilogy and The Forgotten Sands, Sly Trilogy and Sly 4, etc.

Doom 4 has been in development for quite some time now anyway so it shouldn't come as a big surprise.

Is anybody else a bit suspicious that the main reason we're seeing Doom 3 return might be to raise awareness of the brand ahead of the release of a possible Doom 4 sometime next year?

Its possible. I mean we haven't heard anything about DOOM 4 in such a long time, murmurs here and there but never anything concrete except a "No its not going to be at _____ event this year". Plus RAGE, ID's new IP, didn't do so hot last year sales wise so they need to bring back an old brand to get back into gaming's good graces.

Edited by goku262002

The way I see it is this, Doom 4 has taken too long to be released as it's still being made and whatnot.

"How can we keep the Doom fans happy for the meantime?" Re-release Doom 3 = Genius! I F*cking L<3VE DOOM!!!

Yet somehow I've always imagined a re-release of Quake 4 but this will do biggrin.png I wouldn't be surprised if those "Doom 4 Screenshots" that leaked earlier this year were part of the "Lost mission DLC" I've also always wanted to try the Online co-op but since original Xbox live was stopped, I couldn't.

My body is ready! This now really puts me back into the mood to build that Doom model I had an idea of! tongue.png

Edited by Scott

RAGE may not have done very well, but it demonstrated some absolutely outstanding technology, and I for one just adored the whole thing (bar the shortness and abrupt ending). I want sequels. Lots of sequels. And I want D4 and Q5 to both make use of the technologies pioneered in RAGE.

If Doom 4 is on the way, and if this is its harbinger then I would expect it to see it release around Fall 2013. Friday, September 13th, 2013 perhaps?

• Thumbs Up 1

I loved RAGE, hated that ending myself :/ and when they were showcasing it, they made it out to sound long, but overall, it looked gorgeous and it played like an ID game, that's what mattered!! Glad to see your a fellow ID fan Patticus :)

But personally, as awesome as Q5 would be, I'm still wanting Q1 on XBLA then I'd have all titles on the one console :D

I already have the Doom 3 Special Edition for Xbox (which includes developer interviews, a G4 special, concept art, and the original Doom 1 and 2), so I don't have much reason to get excited for this. New levels would be nice, but nothing I would pay full-price for. Plus I find the first two games much more fun, so I'll just stick with what I have for now.

What I do want, though, is Doom 4. ANYTHING Doom 4 related would be a gift from god (or Satan, I guess) at this point. I hope Patticus's theory is right and this remastering is being made to build up hype for the next Doom game. Doom 4 was supposed to show up at QuakeCon 2010, and didn't, and it didn't show up at 2011's, so it's high time we got some news of some sort. Glad to see they're at least keeping the Doom fans in mind with this remastering, but I'll probably just rent it.

But... Doom 3 kinda suc-

* Doom 1 and Doom 2 is also on the disk: If you hate Doom 3, you'll also be able to play Doom 1 & Doom 2 as they'll also be included in the release.

Oh. Well. I guess I'll keep my eye on this, then. Curious how they are going to do it. Will it just be the Duct tape Mod made official, or will they change things up a bit?

Edited by Tornado

I hear they've put a torch on the character's suit, maybe the breast plate, so it won't be the same. I wonder how they'll deal with constant torchlight in a game in which having to choose between light and gun was responsible for so much of the scare factor?

So far, in regards to visuals, only 'improved rendering and lighting' have been mentioned. Sadly, I'm not sure that they'll go to the length of redrawing all the game's texture maps, even if the modders have done a decent job of it.

Don't expect this:

3rd6q.jpg

RAGE may not have done very well, but it demonstrated some absolutely outstanding technology

Oh I was just talking sale wise, the game was great otherwise just a commecrial flop. shame though, it wasn't reviewed bad at all so there no clear idea why the game didn't sell enough.

Will the Doom II on this disc come with the astoundingly awesome bonus episode that was released on the XBLA port? That's what I wanna know. Besides that... well I haven't actually played the full Doom 3 yet so I suppose this is as good an opportunity as any.

Also, no trailer in the OP? Come on.

Could that be because of the problems I've been having with my internet right now which I have posted about the in the staff area which means I can't get even the most lowest quality video to load up and sometimes can't even get youtube to load up?

Might also the fact that the source I found the story on uses viddler which as far as I'm aware can't be embedded on SSMB anyway?

Could that be because of the problems I've been having with my internet right now which I have posted about the in the staff area which means I can't get even the most lowest quality video to load up and sometimes can't even get youtube to load up?

Might also the fact that the source I found the story on uses viddler which as far as I'm aware can't be embedded on SSMB anyway?

Let's just say, Hogfather's DOOMed....

Anybody?...ANYBODY?

ok I'll leave....