Awoo.

Metal Sonic

Nintendoga

He's one sexy piece of (metal) ass. I find him better than Shadow and Sonic. He could possibly be my favorite character.

What I like about Metal Sonic the most is his design, Especially in CD.

msonic.jpg

He looks like a puppet, A dark twisted version of Sonic instead of just a robot copy. I also like the fact that he's probably one of the most "pure" of Sonic's rivals, by that I mean opposing Sonic is the only reason he exists, even when trying to set sites on bigger goals like in Heroes, he still had that basic drive of beating the original Sonic and becoming the "real" one. No matter where his alligences lie, It also gives Eggman some rep points on creating something so awesome.

Metal Sonic has always been and will always be epic.

Metal Sonic is probably my favorite villain, aside from Baldy McNoseHair of course, and is really the only side villain who has surpassed the test of time. While Shadow is also an "anti-Sonic", Metal Sonic is the REAL other SONIC! Even if Shadow has chaos powers and has almost the exact same capabilities of Sonic, Metal's power is actually substantially greater than Sonic it seems, yet he mistreats it and often goes into rage or temporarily looses power.

He feels like the only one who could actually become a significant main villain aside or against Doctor Robotnik.

Diogenes sums up my feelings perfectly. Metal's reputation seems wholly undeserved in light of his few accomplishments. He is toted as Sonic's equal, but their encounters always seem extremely one-sided in Sonic's favor. He never breaks a sweat, which makes nearly every other rival encounter more interesting in that regard. A few games where they allow Metal to pull an OVA and kick Sonic's ass would be nice.

I third what Diogenes said, but it's not out of spite for the character.

Metal Sonic would have some very BEAUTIFUL moments as a character if Sonic team would just fucking use him more! Seriously, I cannot stress how he could be put in the role of Eggman's lead enforcer in the games while Orbot and Cubot are more of the secretaries for the villian. Archie Comics has been making such major use of the character lately that it's ridiculous that Sonic Team aren't making much of a good opportunity for him. Heroes is a more of an infuriating case because he up and betrayed Eggman for absolutely no concrete reason that would make me think more of the character; his betrayal and take over is out of the blue, as there's nothing that foreshadows it, or make a strong case of how or why he did it and that would have likely made the plot somewhat more interesting.

Maybe the storytelling potential is starting to get to me again, but as awesome as many think he is, he doesn't really deserve a lot of it past what he's done.

. Archie Comics has been making such major use of the character lately that it's ridiculous that Sonic Team aren't making much of a good opportunity for him.

While Archie does make more use of his character, he doesn't really have much in the way of actual character. Eggman goes though Metal Sonics like copy paper so none of them really get the chance to develop into anything substantial.

While Archie does make more use of his character, he doesn't really have much in the way of actual character. Eggman goes though Metal Sonics like copy paper so none of them really get the chance to develop into anything substantial.

True, especially since we're more focused on how his prized Mecha Sally tends to be more of the face for his robots. But the issues where he had an engine that could teleport to various dimensions wasn't anything to scoff at. I mean really, Shadow and Metal Sonic in Blaze's dimension causing trouble? Character use plus a mixing cast of characters? Maybe I'm getting to giddy with that...

But still, it's really sad how in the game series 20 years that they've not bothered making major use of him and only has cult recognition as opposed to merit recognition.

See topic Anyone out there with shameful Sonic-related secrets? for my feelings on Metal tongue.png . But in all actuality, yeah, I love this guy. I squee at the mass destruction he leaves in his wake. Lasers, flamethrower, HECK YEAH! I play him all the time in SA2 battle vs mode. His jumping and speed is mad good, and that shield, heh, the only time anyone can win is if I'm in a part where I can't activate it like swinging on vines in White Jungle. I'm real happy they made a mini episode with him in the Episode 4 series but I just wish he could blow more stuff up in it. I don't see why he can't just laser beam some of the enemies or have a button to do so. Yeah it makes him seem overpowered but dang it that's the point! With characters like Shadow and Silver throwing energy attacks everywhere you better darn believe I want Metal to be able to do similar.

Edited by Rally the Cheetah

If there is one thing that Sonic Team is pretty good at keeping consistently badass in the Sonic series is its villains, and like Dr. Eggman, Metal Sonic is no exception in the slightest....ok the neo transformation was kinda silly, but still 9.99/10 is pretty darn good.

Metal Sonic also has one of the best tracks in the entire episode 2 of Sonic 4, which is quite an accomplishment for an intimidating piece of scrap metal.

Cheers!

Edit: yeah, I agree on some of the above. Would really like to see a major ark with Metal behind it all. Have Metal start an uprising, have him pull the strings! I can't think of any good plots off the bat, but I think, cinematicly, he could be a real menace.

Edited by the blu blur

This is my obligatory "Metal God Damn KnucklesTM is superior" post, as well as the obligatory "I really with they'd bring him back and allow him to team up with Metal Sonic for the most epic battle ever" post. Both characters are horribly underused, though Metal Sonic's been getting better.

This is actually one of the few areas where I'll give the games the victory over the comics though. They have the common decency to not make Metal Sonic cannon fodder. Every appearance with Metal Sonic is at least touted as a dangerous and high stakes combat, even though Sonic has gotten to the point where he takes everyone to school without breaking a sweat.

• Thumbs Up 1

Metal Sonic is my favorite character in the whole franchise. I love the "evil version of good character" trope, so I naturally found Metal to be awesome. My first real exposure to him was in the OVA, so I thought this guy was nigh unstoppable and totally lethal. Of course, in the games he's in (which I played soon afterwards), he's got the "bad guy syndrome of always losing because the player controls Sonic". Naturally he'll lose because of this phenomenon, which makes him seem less good to people.

I agree with the notion that Metal Sonic needs to be shown not only more, but also kicking ass. Hell, just having a cutscene along the vein of Knuckles attacking Super Sonic in the beginning of Sonic 3 where Metal gets the better of Sonic would be a significant boon for Metal's character.

I'd like to see him in the role of Eggman's second-in-command, appearing in every game. I want it to be like "We have to stop Eggman AND Metal Sonic" instead of just "We have to stop Eggman!" Sonic 4 Episode 2 was a step in the right direction.

He's Eggman's best invention; he deserves to be used more.

Edited by D-Metal X
  • Thumbs Up 2

*Sigh* Metal is possibly the biggest case of wasted potential in the series. People go on and on about how awesome he is, but he hasn't really done anything to deserve such a status. Most of his appearances make him out to be a glorified mook rather than a force equal to Sonic. Even Knuckles and Shadow stand more on equal footing with Sonic than Metal does which I find incredibly sad because I like Metal.

Perhaps if he was actually used for more than just a throwaway boss fight, and had more of an impact on the story I could understand the love he gets, but all of his appearances are inconsequential at best, and the one time he has a significant role, he's just a generic "Take over the world" villain.

In the comics he's treated as cannon fodder, and hell, Sally is getting the treatment he should be getting; Eggman's top enforcer, and go to guy to fight Sonic whenever he can't himself, its fucking annoying.

If it were up to me, Metal would be the Terminator of the Sonic series; as in being a force so unstoppable that the only thing the heroes can do is slow him down, and hope for the best. If Metal had an objective, he wouldn't be stopped by shit and even someone like Sonic would have to stop playing around and take him seriously. Eggman would take great pride in siccing him on people, and would make sure Metal has all of the upgrades needed to put down Sonic once and for all(Which can be incorporated into gameplay by having Metal use a different pattern of attack with every boss fight). Maybe a cutscene or two showing just how badass Metal is would suffice, he's touted as Eggman's best machine, he needs to be treated as such.

Fucking Sonic Team, once again ruining characters I like.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yes but Metal is still awesome and the reason is...because i said so that's why xD

But seriously i agree. They should really make him as powerful as he was in the OVA which i doubt they will.

• Thumbs Up 1

Never cared for him. Don't think he ever did anything particularily badass and Mecha Sonic looks much cooler.

Eventually he gets fed up with Eggman and betrays him in order to find his own way of defeating Sonic, making him the first Eggman robot to have free will and a mind of it's own.

Never cared for him. Don't think he ever did anything particularily badass and Mecha Sonic looks much cooler.

What about Gamma? Metal may have been built before, but Gamma was shown to have developed a free will before him.

I haven't played Episode 2 yet, but doesn't he stay on Eggman's side the whole time?

Metal's issue is an issue shared with most of the characters in the franchise and it's lack of proper character development. His design is damn cool, and the potential he has with some of his abilities is staggering (he can freakin shapeshift for example. They could really play with that quite a lot and he could be even more of a puppet master than he was in Heroes) but I feel that he doesn't have enough depth to his character and there are so many ways they could go about it. Heck even Episode Metal barely explained anything about him apart from how he got the boost in power between CD and Sonic 4.

I haven't played Episode 2 yet, but doesn't he stay on Eggman's side the whole time?

He is, but most of his actions are him acting on his own. He's pretty persistent on getting revenge on Sonic. Especially in the

Startdust speedway race

Ah Metal Sonic, my first metallic doppleganger, I thought he was AMAZING when introduced to me through the OVA, if Metal in the OVA mixed with the style and difficulty from STF would make him even more badass than he already is. If Sonic had a health gauge that worked like the mechs in SA2, with an insanely unpredictable and fast Metal Sonic now THAT would be incredible!!

Edited by Charles K Ziese

Hands down Eggman's best creation.

What pisses me off through is that he had literately zero appearances in the 3D games except for spin-off's, party, and racing games, and I'm talking about Pure Metal Sonic, not that Neo Metal garbage in Heroes.

Whatever the heck the next game is, Metal Sonic better appear in it.

Is the Metal Sonic from Sonic 2 the same of the Sonic 3 & Knuckles or the former is just a prototype?