Awoo.

Metal Sonic

Nintendoga

I always thinked that there´s more than one Metal Sonic...I guess that explains a lot about the proportion with Classic Sonic (as seems in Sonic Generations), and the one who apears in Sonic Adventure 2/Battle, for example. Besides the mentioned games, the apperance in Sonic Rivals 2 and the Shadow´s and Metal Sonic story seem to confirm my theory.

Is the Metal Sonic from Sonic 2 the same of the Sonic 3 & Knuckles or the former is just a prototype?

• Thumbs Up 1

Do people think his shapeshifting and power-copying abilities should actually be part of his default ability set which we should assume he has in every game?

Metal's entire point of existence is that he is supposed to be Sonic, albeit with some metallic discrepancies, and go toe to toe with the hedgehog on his own turf. If he has easy access to every single power imaginable, it renders the appeal of the dynamic pointless and stands to make Metal look even worse when Sonic inevitably beats him into the ground.

Metal is awesome on his own merits but I think what adds onto it's appeal to me at least is the fact that this utter badass of a robot was constructed by Eggman. Metal Sonic is probably the most intricate and complex piece of technology that has ever been a product of Eggman's genius. All of it's specs are actually true to the laws of science and Metal Sonic proves just how intricate SEGA of Japan can be with their characters.

A real appeal of Metal Sonic's design is that whilst it is very Sonic-like, it's appearance is also very distinct and...'unique' despite being based off of Sonic. It's 'Classic' design looks almost marionette-like whilst being intimidating with the more circular irises whilst it's 'Modern' design puts across a cutting edge sleek futuristic design.

It may be capable of beating Sonic on foot (In the air considering it levitates in locomotion?) but it also has realistic weaknesses like overloading itself and lacking excellent braking ability, which are weaknesses Sonic doesn't have. Metal may be faster but Sonic has a greater handle on his speed and abilities.

• Thumbs Up 1

Classic_Metal_Sonic_Bio.png

Metal Sonic is pretty freaking awesome.

He's the metallic version and rival of Sonic, created by Doctor Eggman in order to destroy Sonic. While never actually doing so, he's one of the few to actually come close to defeating him. Eventually he gets fed up with Eggman and betrays him in order to find his own way of defeating Sonic, making him the first Eggman robot to have free will and a mind of it's own.

History

Sonic_CD_256px.jpg

Dr. Eggman had the ingenious idea to create a robot version of Sonic. He's fast as Sonic, can fly, is stronger then Sonic, but most importantly, also evil. The Doctor sent Metal back in time on Little Planet in order to cause chaos and wreck havoc among the animals. Then, he would sneak up on Sonic and kidnap his new friend, Amy. Using her as bait he and Eggman waited till Sonic reached Stardust Speedway.

Sticking to what he knows best, Metal Sonic challenges Sonic to a race to the end. Whoever wins gets the reward, and whoever loses....well BZRT! But alas, Sonic's true speed and wits allowed him to beat Metal Sonic by miliseconds. Unfortunately, Metal wasn't able to stop in time and unfortunately collided with the Metallic trap door that was meant for Sonic, and fell into the depths below, never being heard from again.

..Or so we thought

metalsonic.jpg

"I'm not gonna die cause it's a waste of my time"- Metal Sonic before dying again.

Doctor Eggman revived Metal Sonic during his trip to Little Planet, who was discovered to have actually just fell down a few levels. After re-awakening, Metal travels to Earth and follows Eggman's intstructions. Traversing into Lost Labyrinth, Metal finds a mystical power orb which allows him to gain new powers. Not only stronger and faster, Metal Sonic could now shoot spirit bombs out of his hands, lasers, and homing attack (for some reason?) While on his way to presumably Doctor Eggman, Metal sees Sonic and Tails flying off to a new adventure.

Rage building inside, he steals on of Tails' conveniently placed rockets and flies off after the duo. while Knuckles fights Mecha Sonic even though it's impossible at the time, Sonic 4 Website! >ohmy.png Taking two zones to catch up, he finally reaches Sonic and prepares to kick his ass, only thanks to the combined efforts of Sonic and Tails, gets his ass kicked in return. Metal thus returns to HQ and uses one of Eggman's ships to destroy the Tornado. But once again, the duo beats him and Metal barely escapes the ship before it explodes.

Helping Eggman into a space pod by staring menacingly at Sonic and Tails, the two head up to the newly built Death Egg Mk.II to re-plan. But since Sonic is on his way, the two must act fast! After yet again, for the 3rd time, being defeated by Sonic and Tails after a failed team-up with Eggman, he decides to play Defense. Metal Sonic kicks out his 90's stereo and blasts up Stardust Speedway while challenging Sonic to a rematch race. With this new-found confidence, Metal was sure to win this race against his riva- BLAM!

Metal Sonic lost again, and fell to the depths below, again.

Neometalv2.png

"All living things kneel before your master!" - One of the many Neo Metal Sonic's badass quotes in Heroes.

Ignoring Knuckles Chaotix (cause I haven't played it) and the many spin-offs, Metal Sonic tore himself apart and built himself a new body. A more powerful and menacing body. He then came up with the plan to disguise himself as Sonic and steal Chocola Chao and Froggy. Then he lures Sonic and friends into a trap, deceiving them as Eggman and secretly coping their data.

When he finally has an audience, he shoots lightning at the sky and prepares himself for the grand finale, which involves him transforming into Metal Madness/Overlord, a huge robotic version of Metal Sonic. Using the data from everyone he tries to kill them all (no he really does, one of his lines is even "BURN TO DEATH!!!"), but he fails when they show him the....nope not gonna say it...nu-uh....no way....nope.

THE REAL SUPER-POWER OF TEAMWORK!!!

Neo Metal then reverts back into Metal Sonic, being man handled by Shadow and Omega, who for some reason give him to Eggman who controls him and thus ends the reign that was once Metal Sonic.

sonic_generations_metal_sonic.png

"My one true destiny is to kill Sonic, which I will never give up on until he kicks the bucket"- Seconds before Sonic kicks Metal Sonic to death.

Personality

Well this is tough. Metal Sonic has one hell of a personality. In CD and Sonic 4, he seems hell bent on beating Sonic, and whether he is actually under Eggman's control, or Metal Sonic just listens to Eggman in order to reach his goals, is unknown.

But in Heroes, Metal Sonic is completely insane. He goes to extremely unnecessary lengths to kill Sonic, even to the point of transforming into a 50 foot monster. What is quite interesting though, is that while falling to the Egg Fleet, he proclaims himself as the real Sonic, which implies that Metal Sonic has an obsession with Sonic, trying to kill him so that he can call himself as the one true Sonic. But Metal Sonic even knows his limitations, apparently just....giving up once he realizes that he cannot nor will he ever be capable of beating Sonic.

Metal also may go by an honor code of some sorts, or maybe just likes things the old fashioned way, as even though he can fight Sonic in Sonic 4, he decides at the end to just have a "friendly" race.

But the thing I want to bring up is, is Metal Sonic truly evil? Or does he just want Sonic out of the way? Take for example the Sonic OVA.

SonicOVA07.png

Yes he brutally tries to murder Sonic, and...yes...he does murder alot of people and destroys cities...but that was while he was under Eggman's control. After having many awesome scenes, Metal Sonic gains free will and saves the president and the old owl from burning up, before falling into lava. Sonic tries to help him, and with one little grab, (hell even Knuckles says it) he can pull Sonic in with him and kill them both. But instead he smacks it away and declares that "There can only be one Sonic" before killing himself.

So basically, let's say Metal Sonic kills Sonic, what would he do then? Sonic was his one and only purpose, so once that's done with, Metal has nothing left. Interesting to think of but it most likely will never happen.

Overall

Metal Sonic is just so awesome. He has all of Sonic's abilities plus more, is intelligent, has free will, and next to Eggman is the biggest threat to Sonic and his world. Plus he just looks cool

640px-6359622455_4074fe5ce7_o.jpg

640px-800px-Classic_metal_orthographic.svg.png

Next to Knuckles he is probably my favorite Sonic character, and not only can he do all this shit, he even makes ice skating look pretty badass.

But yeah, appreciate the brother SSMB!

He's is not Sonic's rival, he's an overglorified villain that is always asking for a butt kicking from the hero. Metal Sonic is evil and is role to Sonic games is limited based on that factor. Overall Metal is cool for what he is, just another villain, considering the fact Shadow is cooler and better than Metal is in everyway, thats being genrous. Seriously, Shadow is tweleve times the badass anti sonic Metal ever will be.

he gets fed up with Eggman and betrays him in order to find his own way of defeating Sonic, making him the first Eggman robot to have free will and a mind of it's own.

Gamma from Sonic Adventure definitely gained his own free will before Metal Sonic

Heavy and Bomb from Knuckles Chaotix may have gained their own free will before even Gamma - but then again they may have been double agents sent by Eggman to slow the heroes down

Omega may have also have gained free will before Metal Sonic - this one is a flip of the coin since they both gain free will during an unknown time before Sonic Heroes

He's is not Sonic's rival, he's an overglorified villain that is always asking for a butt kicking from the hero. Metal Sonic is evil and is role to Sonic games is limited based on that factor. Overall Metal is cool for what he is, just another villain, considering the fact Shadow is cooler and better than Metal is in everyway, thats being genrous. Seriously, Shadow is tweleve times the badass anti sonic Metal ever will be.

;......What does Shadow have to do with anything in this topic?

• Thumbs Up 8

Was quoting the entire OP really necessary?

Edited by SiLeNt PyRrH0n
  • Thumbs Up 4

Metal Sonic is definitely Sonic's rival. His main goal is usually to prove hes better than Sonic rather than just kill him. Such as Free Riders and Episode 2 where he challenges Sonic to a race.

• Thumbs Up 1

;......What does Shadow have to do with anything in this topic?

TBh, he sounds kinda similar to that one Shadow fan who made out Shadow to be some kind of Super Saiyan God evil Jesus kind of character who is total perfection.

what was his name again?

TBh, he sounds kinda similar to that one Shadow fan who made out Shadow to be some kind of Super Saiyan God evil Jesus kind of character who is total perfection.

what was his name again?

His most recent name was Total Shadow...I think.

Do people think his shapeshifting and power-copying abilities should actually be part of his default ability set which we should assume he has in every game?

I personally think that Sega is curretly handling Metal Sonic exactly like they should; namely just have him work under Eggman and act as a boss character for Sonic to fight. That's the role he was created for and he doesn't really need any other kind of roles as far as i am concerned. I dont understand why people so badly want Sega to do something "more" with him than that.

However, i do think he should have a voice again. Im pretty sure that when Sega gave him a voice for his first canonicall apperance in a modern-era game, they had every intention of letting him keep that voice, and only decided to do away with it after the criticism of that game and its storyline came. I dont think that Metal Sonic's ability to speak in SH was originally intended to be an effect of his upgrades in that story, as some people claim. I believe that the fact that he could speak even when reverting to his normal form in that game is proof enough that it was intended that the character had "always" been able to speak (the fact that he could only make robotic sounds in SA:2 Battle was probably mostly because of Sega not wanting to have to decide upon and record a voice for him for only a minor, non-canonicall apperance. After all, with characters like Tikal they were lazy enough in the same game to just re-use voice clips from SA1, even when they didn't fit at all).

I personally think that Sega is curretly handling Metal Sonic exactly like they should; namely just have him work under Eggman and act as a boss character for Sonic to fight. That's the role he was created for and he doesn't really need any other kind of roles as far as i am concerned. I dont understand why people so badly want Sega to do something "more" with him than that.
  • Thumbs Up 6

Hey hey hey, Egg-ball-and-chain is a friggin classic and does not deserve to be put on the same level as Black Bull of all fucking bosses.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey hey hey, Egg-ball-and-chain is a friggin classic and does not deserve to be put on the same level as Black Bull of all fucking bosses.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because what you're suggesting puts him on about the same level as such memorable characters as the Egg Golem, Black Bull, the Dark Gaia Phoenix, and the Egg Ball-And-Chain.

None of those are recurring bosses though.

Also, i most certainly dont oppose the idea of giving Metal Sonic other kinds of roles than "just" being Eggmans henchman, but i dont think it's necassary either. But like i said, he needs to be able to express personality though, which could best be done if they gave him his voice back...

Egg Ball-and-Chain IS a recurring boss, fyi.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I like Metal Sonic, he's quite cool: aerodynamic design and red eyes. He's not my favourite Sonic character but definitely my favourite Eggman's robot (excluding Egg Dragoon). I'd like to see him playable in future Sonic games. He could be Sonic's clone with few additional powers (yellow boost, electric barrier, ability to throw energy balls).

So's Eggman.

Also, i most certainly dont oppose the idea of giving Metal Sonic other kinds of roles than "just" being Eggmans henchman, but i dont think it's necassary either. But like i said, he needs to be able to express personality though, which could best be done if they gave him his voice back...

Having a personality comes from your actions, having a voice wouldn't make him any more interesting than he is now because he hardly does shit.

I agree. He fits well in the role of the penultimate boss who fights Sonic on a level playing field instead of small hedgehog versus titanic robot monstrosity. If only Sonic Heroes let you fight Metal Sonic instead of Metal Overwhatever, I'd be more partial to him taking a larger role.