Awoo.

How Christian Fundamentalists Plan to Teach Genocide to Schoolchildren

Patticus

Honestly, I think older religions had it right before Christianity became a major power like the Greek, Norse, and Egyptian Gods and Goddesses. They knew their gods were a bunch of jerkasses who did whatever the fuck they felt like for better or worse.

But they were a bit more tolerant of other religions, which kinda upsets me about how this intolerance is what is being used by these Christian Zealots to get genocide seen in a positive light.

Judaism came out hundreds of years before Christianity.

Edited by Mono

Judaism came out hundreds of years before Christianity.

But Judaism isn't a Classical Religion like the ones I mentioned.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Honestly, I think older religions had it right before Christianity became a major power like the Greek, Norse, and Egyptian Gods and Goddesses. They knew their gods were a bunch of jerkasses who did whatever the fuck they felt like for better or worse.

But they were a bit more tolerant of other religions, which kinda upsets me about how this intolerance is what is being used by these Christian Zealots to get genocide seen in a positive light.

Double Spoiler for Good measure.

Is it wrong of me to want to post an insensitive interpretation of the Crucifying of Jesus Christ based on this idea that God is a jerkass?

But Judaism isn't a Classical Religion like the ones I mentioned.

I was just pointing out that Christianity didn't one day appear out of no where and ended the classical religions. Christianity was prosecuted for hundreds of years before it became the main religion of the Roman Empire.

I was just pointing out that Christianity didn't one day appear out of no where and ended the classical religions. Christianity was prosecuted for hundreds of years before it became the main religion of the Roman Empire.

Yeah, I'm aware of the history. They and Judaism were partly prosecuted for being intolerant of the other gods as the Roman Empire, along with a lot of misinterpretations of their beliefs. And it was only until Constantine I decided to convert to Christianity and called for religious tolerance of it and all other religions in the empire that they were more tolerated before they became the powerhouse they are for nearly 2 millenia.

But now's not a time for a history lesson. :XD

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

How do you differentiate between the bits in the Bible that are "just a story" and the bits that are "true"?

I've come to the view that the book is just a story because, like I mentioned before, because they have found similar works that is pretty much Job. The one in the Bible is the Jewish take on it.

Edited by Mono
  • Thumbs Up 1

Job did lose his shit at god and protested at his mistreatment, he only stopped slagging god off when god himself came down and chastised Job to his face, which terrified him into submission.

Then why did the end of Job have:

7 After the Lord had said these things to Job , he said to Eliphaz the Temanite, “I am angry with you and your two friends, because you have not spoken the truth about me, as my servant Job has."

I don't think God was saying 'I'm angry with you because you didn't slag me off like Job did'.

Thing is though right, God never makes any sense, he's a self-contradicting nutcase with major anger issues. He was angry with Job as well when he came down to scare the guy shitless. Like the point I made before, God is a huge asshole and you never know what he's going to do next.

• Thumbs Up 1

Having an argument over whether God is/was an asshole is getting a bit ridiculous. No one's mind is going to be changed by this argument.

This is now once again a stupid battle between an atheist and a religious person. Just agree to disagree. It's pointless.

Edited by Mono
  • Thumbs Up 1

Having an argument over whether God is/was an asshole is getting a bit ridiculous. No one's mind is going to be changed by this argument.

This is now once again a stupid battle between an atheist and a religious person. Just agree to disagree. It's pointless.

Actually, I find it really interesting. I used to be Christian, but slowly shifted towards agnosticism and finally all the way to atheism. I've done all sorts of debates about whether or not a god is real, but I hadn't really given much thought to the notion that the Christian god is real, but is a jerk.

Honestly, A jackass god with as many flaws as humanity, except given the ability to essentially warp the reality of this planet scares me, interests me, and makes more sense than the ultra benevolent god certain groups believe in.

I have a hard time believing anything, even a god, has no flaws.

It's not an actual battle; me and Roarz get along. Just because we disagree on a lot of stuff doesn't mean that I don't respect him. Quite the opposite in fact.

My faith doesn't really mean anything if I'm not forced to think about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I consider myself a hard determinist, which essentially means I believe the butterfly effect is the root of all thoughts and actions rather than free will, but I can't help but think- should God exist, would HE have free will? After all, if you had the power to do everything, what reason would you have to do anything? If the Bible has one plothole that overshadows all the others, it's that God does not have an established motivation for doing anything that happens in either testament. Maybe he was commanded to do it by a "Supergod" that rules over him, but that only pushes the question a layer higher. Maybe he was simply lonely, but that doesn't answer the questions as to why he chose this specific set of rules and properties for our universe. So maybe it was just an accident; if God exists,

is probably the most sensible theory I've seen on the subject. Sorry I couldn't find a better video.
  • Thumbs Up 2

but I can't help but think- should God exist, would HE have free will?

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, question time! Why would a God that has no Free Will Create a planet filled with creatures that have some form of free will?

To expand even further, does this mean that God is some kind of Universal Machine that creates the universe and destroys it via a cycle? That God might have been doing this for Trillions of years and that there might have been anywhere between hundreds or even thousands of planets not too different than ours in the past?

Edited by Enigmatus

My question is where the hell did god came from? Was he always there (kinda gives you a headache thinking about)? If not, what the fuck created him?

My question is where the hell did god came from? Was he always there (kinda gives you a headache thinking about)? If not, what the fuck created him?

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, question time! Why would a God that has no Free Will Create a planet filled with creatures that have some form of free will?

Well, actually... We creatures might not have any free will at all. :s

Well, actually... We creatures might not have any free will at all. :s

That's pretty much my stance. If you got an hour, Sam Harris will articulate it quite well.

[media=]

tl;dw: Everyone's decisions "bubble up" from preexisting circumstances; you don't choose your parents, genes, culture or world you're born into, yet those all form the basis of your knowledge and cognition, so the idea of having control over your fate is incomprehensible to say the least.

Edited by SuperStingray

Wow it's not even safe to be religious anymore. The moment a group of people waving the flag of a particular religion jumps up and does something stupid, the rest of us look bad. I may get to see Christians Slaughtered openly in the streets during my time.

As an Avid Christian, this news disturbs me greatly. I have always been taught a doctrine of love and tolerance and to view these exterminations as historical context into the power God holds. I don't push my religion n others and I don't persecute them for not believing in my religion. I care absolutely nothing for what you do or believe, that's what free will is.

On this whole topic of free will. Yes everyone according to Christianity was created with free will. You have the choice to believe in God, you also have the choice to kill someone. No one ever said that your choices made through your free will would go unpunished. God didn't want a bunch of mindless drones, he wanted people to choose him. All though the irony is that a large percentage of Christians are mindless and are not actually Christians, they just call themselves that.

• Thumbs Up 1

On this whole topic of free will. Yes everyone according to Christianity was created with free will. You have the choice to believe in God, you also have the choice to kill someone. No one ever said that your choices made through your free will would go unpunished. God didn't want a bunch of mindless drones, he wanted people to choose him.

Actually people who are unaware of Christianity are sentenced to hell. This does not include children though, once they're of an age they can understand the Bible they are fair game though. Supposed to get us out there to spread the word around the world. I've always lived with the idea, that if someone wants to learn about God, they can ask me. I'd rather not push something on someone unwillingly.

Woah... That's absolutely horrible on God's part.

There are people every day who die without knowing His true word, who never had a chance to hear of it. Doesn't He know that not everyone is given the opportunity?

• Thumbs Up 3

I have been ignoring God (the Christian one) for most of my life now, I guess I'll say hi to Satan for all of you!wink.png