Awoo.

Silver and Werehog sittin in a tree....

KHCast

So Silver the hedgehog and Sonic the Werehog. The two "worst" characters(or people, things? werehogs a form not a character....) in the sonic series to the eyes of many outside and even inside the fanbase. Aside from their gameplay what makes them so bad to the public do you think? What makes them stand out in the sea of Sonic Characters? And which one do you think is the weaker character when put side by side?

For me, Silver is a good character in concept. Just not executed right. His roles in the games have been bad due to writing and other issues. His story is a mess and his whole character actually suffers because of it.

Sonic the Werehog gets flack due to being a random form/character for the series. I like him. There's a lot of great story and depth in this character if you actually pay attention to the story of unleashed. It shows Sonic has another side of him. A more emotional side. People seem to base his whole character around the gameplay. But if they looked into him more they could maybe see more. That's what i want out of a lot of the characters. To be more like the Werehog in concept. Experiment with other feelings and emotions.

So as of now, I got to say Silver is probably the weaker of these two. Although, if they write him well and make him a character that isn't always a tool,and execute a plot that could benefit having him in the game, then I could see him being a better character than the Werehog in my eyes.

Edited by Sora

I'd say Amy and Silver are the worst, the Werehog was just a tacked-on gimmick, not really a character.

I like both. Silver is really awesome, I love concept of psychokinesis as a gameplay mechanic. I think he should have his powers from Sonic 06 + faster and special attack ala Shadow's Chaos Control from Shadow the Hedgehog. Werehog on the other hand.... I like that transformation (he's not a standalone character!). But I don't think he'll come back. People complained about him and from the story standpoint there's no reason for him to come back (unless we'll have "Dark Gaia Returns" thing).

• Thumbs Up 5

I'd say Amy and Silver are the worst, the Werehog was just a tacked-on gimmick, not really a character.

Yeah I feel like Werehog is a pointless add on. Silver could have been a good character and I think he is. His story could have been executed way better yes, and the game play....dear lord..

Silver's problem is the fact he's from the future; What the fuck do we do with this?

his future has since been fixed now that 06 had never happened in the Canon Storyline (Or what is left of it anyway.) So we lack any easy way to fit him into stories or Main games without it becoming a clusterfuck. And his psychokinesis is a difficult power to work with, considering they have to know what limits would he have, what his limits can let him do anyway, etc. But as a Gameplay mechanic? It could work.

Now the Werehog itself..? eeeh...

I like the Werehog, but the way it was used was so shoehorned and tacked on I can't see it being used ever again. And of course it gets flak because it changes Sonic into something else, with worse gameplay. (In comparison to the day stages) And add that with the fact that Sonic Unleashed is apparently a piece of garbage. Big piece of garbage, in most fans eyes he isn't very well liked at all.

But the things done with it story wise were nice, deep, and subtle. If it was brought back just for an important role in a Sonic plot I would not object.

I really wouldn't like to count Werehog since he's just an alternate form of Sonic. Silver on the other hand really had a ton of potential but was just screwed over royally due to Sonic Team's poor decision making at the time. One thing I think holding silver back is that whole future thing. Having him come from a different time period really makes it difficult to work him into a storyline, because usually when he shows up the reason is mostly "Oh noez! The future is in trouble!". And the fact that time travel can be very confusing makes this worse. The way I see it, I think it would be best is Silver being from the future is Retconned and that he should come from Blazes dimension instead. As for gameplay, I say take some cues from his boss fight in generations. Have him move as a moderately fast speed and the gauge can be used for his psychic abilities.

I don't know about silver. Silver could have a time travel plot where he ends up sacrificing going home(the future) to save Sonic and co. That or something similar(like him being forced to stay due to something.) It wouldn't do a lot of harm. And that way he can still be a hedgehog from the future.tongue.pngbut lives in the present.

Edited by Sora
  • Thumbs Up 3

Silver and the Werehog

sitting in a tree:

F.A.N.F.I.C.T.I.O.N

First comes love,

then comes marrige,

then comes the fan character in a baby carriage.

lolno

Really though, I think the Werehog is a better character then silver. If only because the concept of the Werehog is actually fairly awesome.

• Thumbs Up 1

My personal version of Silver would have had him be a Hero Wannabe. While Sonic & Co. run around and be bad-ass defeating major villains, Silver is that kid who wants to be a hero, but is prone to screwing up and often ends up having to fix his own mistakes. Most of his story would occur in the background, either being the unintentional cause of a major problem, or just someone at the wrong place at the wrong time.

He would obviously learn from his mistakes and eventually meet up with the main cast, proving his worth in some form or manner, maybe get into a one sided romance with characters who hold an interest in someone else just for an optional love dodecahedron (Amy or Rouge would be rather amusing). Hell, we can even have him try to copy Sonic, Shadow, or Knuckles in an attempt to be more appealing (and fail miserably :3).

Oh, and for extra lulz, have one of his mentors be Big the Cat, because Big inadvertently taught him how to be more focused or something like that (Big might be a simple cat, but Fishing does require a lot of focus, so he would be a master in that area).

But that's just my personal version.

ON TOPIC:

Silver is a character that had potential, but was introduced at the wrong place, at the worst possible time.

Werehog is awesome, that's why he is half my avatar. :3

Edited by Enigmatus
  • Thumbs Up 2

While I don't REALLY have anything against Silver besides him being a panzy, I do have to say that Silver as a character is OVERPOWERED. All he has to do is Psycho grabv someone's skull and Sand Coffin the crap out of him and it's over, not to mention NO projectile can hit him and he can push things away. I personally think that no one should be stronger than Shadow, because even with him they gave him the strength to tip over giant trucks, Sonic's speed, and the ability to teleport, stop time, AND travel through it, it's madness. This also goes to Sonic as well, he shouldn't be invincible just because he's the main character, why CAN'T any other Rival in Generations stop him, it makes no sense. All 3 rivals are stronger than Sonic, yet NONE can canonly beat him?

ANYWAY, at least the Unleashed opening showed that Sonic's cockiness is at least ONE weakness, sorry to go off of tangent there. As for the werehog, nah I think I'll take Silver over him, but at least he's balanced, I'll give him that.

The Werehog itself is just one of the worst ideas I've ever seen in gaming. The mere thought of a "Werewolf Hedgehog" seems more of a joke than a serious idea.

The issue with Silver is that the last major Sonic game (Adventure 2) already added a more edgier Hedgehog main character. Later on that same Hedgehog got his own game which was absolutely terrible. Now the point is that it's not that he had a bad game, but why continue making edgy main Hedgehog characters? Shadow was pushing it already, but it actually ended up turning decent once you played the game. Silver is just unwanted for so many different reasons and he doesn't bring anything new to the table.

My issues with Silver is the lack of control the character has, and that seems like an overpowered fan character. Shadow is getting there too, and I feel the Shadow The Hedgehog game should have never happened. All in all 06 never happened technically, but to SEGA, 2006 never happened in reality as they tried to get rid of the game from stores and fail to bring it up when they are interviewed about worse Sonic games.

I think it's also the idea is that these characters really just put a damper on any chance Sonic has of having a decent story. They are extremes instead of being balanced.

Silver is good, and could be a lot better if done right. Like they did in SG.

Werehog on the other hand, is CRAP! I'd rather play Uncharted if all I ever want to do is climb and jump on freakin WALLS all the time. And having to listen to Drake scream like an idiot before his own death is much more amusing than having to listen the Werehog's loud and irritating scream.

Edited by Wolfy13

Silver has more at his disposal than the werehog. The Werehog only appeared because of Dark Gaia, and it would take a pure chance that someone pulls the same stunt that Eggman did again to bring the Werehog back.

I like Silver, I like his character and I dig his design. I still have no idea why so many people call him garbage, because he only appeared in Sonic '06 (and Generations too, I guess, but he was only a boss and appeared at the end to say "I know you can do this Sonic!") and nearly everyone in Sonic '06 was garbage. I can't really say much about the Werehog though, because he's just a gimmick mostly.

I like Silver, I like his character and I dig his design.
What do you like about his design? Because I can't imagine seeing it as anything other than a ridiculous clusterfuck.

I still have no idea why so many people call him garbage, because he only appeared in Sonic '06 (and Generations too, I guess, but he was only a boss and appeared at the end to say "I know you can do this Sonic!") and nearly everyone in Sonic '06 was garbage.
You don't think being garbage in his only major appearance has something to do with people calling him garbage? With the rest of '06's cast, you can say "sure, (s)he was terrible in '06, but in *other game* (s)he was great!". But Silver has always sucked.

The mere thought of a "Werewolf Hedgehog" seems more of a joke than a serious idea.

I think the moment they start trying to get serious is the moment things start to lose balance. Like when grotesque giant writhing orange lizard monsters jam space stations into their asses and attempt to commit genocide on a global scale.

• Thumbs Up 6

What do you like about his design?

I'm not sure, I just like the futuristic touch in his design.

You don't think being garbage in his only major appearance has something to do with people calling him garbage? With the rest of '06's cast, you can say "sure, (s)he was terrible in '06, but in *other game* (s)he was great!". But Silver has always sucked.

What I was trying to say is Silver sucked in '06, but that doesn't mean he's going to suck in future installments. (If he ever has a major role again.)

I'm not sure, I just like the futuristic touch in his design.
But his head.

What I was trying to say is Silver sucked in '06, but that doesn't mean he's going to suck in future installments. (If he ever has a major role again.)
By that logic we have no reason to dislike any character, as they could all be written differently in future games. Silver will only stop sucking if and when he's written well, and not a moment before.

I think the moment they start trying to get serious is the moment things start to lose balance. Like when grotesque giant writhing orange lizard monsters jam space stations into their asses and attempt to commit genocide on a global scale.

It's also one of the reasons why I tend to like this "cartoon" style they're using with Sonic now. At this point it's extremely difficult to take any Sonic related story seriously if you combine it with the past, but if they move on and keep it simple with light, corny humor, it's not so bad.

I also can't really say they can't do it as they have before with Sonic 2, Sonic Adventure 1 and Sonic 3/Knuckles. However, their track record now is way too low for them to even consider stories as such.

Edited by Kokonoe

If they're going to continue these inconsequential stories for the foreseeable future, I'd rather they didn't shoehorn in apocalyptic black holes and time-eating monsters at the 11th hour, or even potential means of conflict like Tails' mind control. Thrice an interesting idea's has been dragged down by the lackluster plotting going on beforehand, which is frustrating because it's more entertaining than Sonic and co. just standing around making cute conversation instead of doing dangerous things like superheroes should be doing. It's like a tacking on the climax of Knowing to a Care Bears movie. I'd ultimately prefer some consistency in the plotting if this is all I have to look forward to now instead of the wasted potential of what could've been.

But on to Silver: I like him. He's unique to every other hero in terms of his complete naivety in terms of how a hero is supposed to perform, which becomes very volatile when mixed with the power he wields. He's young and dumb, so the depressing world he's grown up in has actually made him incredibly idealistic. He wants everything and everyone to be happy and he will bulldoze through anyone he thinks seeks to impede the idea of a utopia he holds. However, it also provides a philosophical and moral quandary for himself; the trolley problem basically. Do you kill someone to save others or let the others perish to keep your hands clean even if the outcome is still negative? What is right and what is wrong? He probably doesn't have an answer to that, which makes him naturally look up to more sure steadfast leaders like Blaze, Amy, and Espio. Silver's a cool kid; he just needs to be used more, which I imagine would be a whole lot easier if whomever wrote 06 didn't insist he be from the damn future.

I speak a lot on the Werehog, so I don't have much more to say about him other than I prefer him to Silver. I mean, he's just so fluffy. However, unless you make some leaps, such as bringing back the idea about negative Chaos energy and twisting it, then I don't see how he can reasonably come back in a canon appearance. It'd be nice to see him as an unlockable in spin-offs though. If Sonic's to return to the next SSB for example, any night level should be ripe for the taking.

• Thumbs Up 1

But his head.

Get your head out of the gutter!

Not everyone thinks about weed yo! rolleyes.gif

Besides, it looks more like a triceratops with it's horns stuck on the back of his head. biggrin.png

Edited by Wolfy13

It's not even that it looks like a pot leaf, basically every aspect of Silver's head looks terrible. The pot leaf is made of weirdly shaped tentacles growing out of his forehead, his two giant spikes look ridiculous and leave a weird sort of bald spot, he's got the eye shadow lookin' marks...the head/face is supposed to be the most personable part of the character, the part we are most drawn to, but it's like...the most aesthetically repellent thing in the series.