Awoo.

Rumor: Sega Europe to Close, Final AAA game to be announced at E3...

Badnik Mechanic

I know we have that rumor topic... but considering the consequences for this forum and various events if this one is true.

This one comes from gamekyo.com, who were previously known as jeuxfrance.com

A l'aube de l'E3 2012, nous sommes en mesure de vous apprendre, d'après nos sources jugées crédibles, que Sega Europe devrait fermer définitivement dans les prochains mois ainsi que toutes les branches locales en Europe comme Sega France. Cela étant en partie la conséquence de l'inefficacité de la stratégie de Sega depuis plusieurs années qui consiste à faire développer des jeux par des développeurs occidentaux. Dans la foulée, Sega devrait annoncer également, toujours selon ces sources, ne plus développer des jeux AAA sur consoles, mais se focaliser sur les jeux dematerialisés sur téléphones mobile et tablette notamment. Le dernier gros titre de Sega développé par Creative Assembly sera présenté à l'occasion de l'E3 2012 dans quelques jours. Pour information, rappelons par ailleurs que Sega a annoncé qu'il ne sera pas à la GamesCom 2012.

Translation?

Sega Europe is to close within days.

As a worldwide company, Sega will no longer make any AAA game, effectively bringing an end to it's role in the main console market.

The company will move onto Tablet & Mobile gaming which will be it's focus from now on.

The final AAA Sega game will be announced at this years E3 and be made by Creative Assembly, after that... who knows.

At the moment this is a rumor, but holy fuck... if this one is true, erm, like... Well... my first thoughts are, bloody hell, is there gonna be an SOS 2013!? I can't even begin to imagine the number of franchises that are effectively dead if this one goes ahead.

I do not want to believe.

Source.

Edit: Suggested music to listen to as you read this topic.

Gethsemane (70's version) Specifically from 1:13-end

Anyone got anymore for the 'dear god no' playlist?

If what this rumor says is true...

Then what's going to happen to Sonic?

• Thumbs Up 6

I doubt it. Sega may be in a rut, but they aren't ones to give up from something like a little finance troubles.

Still, I don't see why it'd be SEGA Europe ALONE to do this, that just doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

Well I couldn't give 2 craps about the other titles, all I know is that my Sonic the Hedgehog fix may be in jeapordy and I just won't have that.

....seriously though I'd probably cry like a baby if Sonic were to die. (and on such a low note...)

Edited by SuperJXJ
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is a bad thing indeed for Sega. They're gonna have to try to pull out all the stops now.

I'd hate to see a Titan go down like this.

Edited by Crow the BOOLET

Jesus Christ I hope not.

Beyond Sonic, Sega's a really good company, and one that still makes tons of great games. It would be very sad to see something like this happen to Sega.

Edited by Nintendoga

*freeze shock; scream loudly; faint; wake up; scream*

WHAT THE FUCK SEGA!?

PLEASE TO GOD, STARCLAN, MUHAMED, BUDDAH, WHOEVER! PLEASE BE A HOAX!

WHAT ABOUT MY SAWNIKKU!? @_@

Edited by BakingBluePotatoe

If Sega dies, what happens to Sonic?

They sell it to Capcom.

Super Sonic Unleashed: Hyper Turbo Edition confirmed.

• Thumbs Up 8

They sell it to Capcom.

Super Sonic Unleashed: Hyper Turbo Edition confirmed.

No, Sonic would get stuck on the moon to be Megaman Volnutt's roommate.

Anyway, I don't believe this. I don't want to believe this. But in the case they are on their last legs, they better go total war on this last game. Put all of their effort into it, all of their money (although most of it should go into advertising, since that's what sells games these days), and they may be able to regain a hold on the industry before they fall into the abyss.

Edited by Mr. Awesomest
  • Thumbs Up 9

Holy shit. If this happens...

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if the company was stripped to pieces and sold off.

If Sega dies, what happens to Sonic?

He has to sell his body on the street.

*shot*

• Thumbs Up 2

This doesn't make much sense, why would just sega europe alone be gone and effectively kills sega as a whole? Isn't its main HQ in Japan?

I remember not too long ago Sega was actualy posting profits for a quarter or two. Holy hell, this is depressing.

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if the company was stripped to pieces and sold off.

The thing with this is... what most people forget is that Sega isn't just console games and... well console games.

In Japan, it is utterly huge when it comes to arcade gaming, it's absolutely enormous, both in making traditional arcade games and it's own specific units/games/prize machines. Sega rules the waves there when it comes to arcade machines.

With this rumor, it mentions specifically a shift from the console to the mobile/tablet/digital market, however it doesn't mention what (if anything) will happen to the arcade division. So whats going to happen to that? Is it going to keep going? Will that too be shut down? As something to sell off, it's one hell of a company asset, not just the physical products, but all the patents for various arcade controllers and systems that Sega have design but never released.

If this does happen, I hope this forum doesn't go down with it. I've grown very attached to this place.

Why would the Grand Ol' SSMB go down, eh!?

As far as I know from reading the source, only Sega Europe is closing down. Sega of America and Sega of Japan will still stand. Most Sonic games are made in Japan, so we are still fine with the Sonic the Hedgehog games IF this rumor is true.

• Thumbs Up 2

As far as I know from reading the source, only Sega Europe is closing down. Sega of America and Sega of Japan will still stand. Most Sonic games are made in Japan, so we are still fine with the Sonic the Hedgehog games IF this rumor is true.

I actually ran out of likes and of all times too...I WOULD'VE liked this if only for you giving me a shimmering hope of still seeing my favorite blue hedgehog in the future.

I suppose the biggest question in all this is....

"What is SEGA's final AAA game!?"

Anyone wanna take a guess or bet on something?

If this rumor is true (which I hope it isn't!), it looks like Sega's bad decisions such as lack of advertising and whatnot among several has come back to really haunt them and potentially serve as a fatal blow. I'm really not happy to hear this, even if it is just a rumor. I just had started feeling better after having a bad day...now I'm irritated again. Guess I'm mainly worried about what will happen with Sonic, if anything, if this proves to be true. Either way sad.png

This post makes me feel better, thanks. I hope you are right.