Awoo.

Rumor: Sega Europe to Close, Final AAA game to be announced at E3...

Badnik Mechanic

There's one thing Nintendo is great in, it's keeping the essence of a series intact while making something new out of it. I don't think Nintendo would just get rid of something the Sonic series is known for, like the characters.

Well, this is purely anecdote and observation on my part, but Nintendo to me is known for several things:

1) blank slate characters: other than spin offs, nearly all of their major mascots/characters are blank slates. Granted some of them have more personality than others and execute what little they do have well (that's why I love Luigi over Mario any day <3).

2) Only one character is ever playable or even worthy of note in the main game (I'm looking at you Mario).

3) A lot of their games feel kinda samey to me. They aren't bad, I do love some of them, but it does get annoying having what is in essence the same plot over and over again.

4) I don't want them to bend over to the idiotic sects of this fanbase like SEGA has a tendency to do on many occasions.

Maybe I'm just partially sleep deprived, and maybe just overly cynical about it, but I don't want Sonic to become like Mario in the above mentioned aspects. If Nintendo can prove me wrong, then I'll take this back, but until then... eh.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ah this forum will live on, as The My Little Zombie Stadium.

But seriously this sounds too bad to be true. I cannot think what would happen to Sonic in one of his most popular areas of the world. If there is no more SoS after this, all the more reason to have a ruddy good time this year.

Considering all of SEGA's financial woes recently, the restructuring of SOA and the fact that even Sonic isn't selling as well as they'd expect, this honestly sounds worryingly believeable. It's something that's been on my mind for a while, so I'm really hoping nothing comes of it.

This pretty bad if this true, Sega must be in dire financia sraits to lay off an entire continent workforce, will this effect distribution of future SEGA games across Europe?ohmy.png

Also how would stop them from making AAA Games (What is an AAA game for that matter, I have an idea but still not to sure) if they still have America and Japan Branches open?

I seriously hope this isn't true. But in the case Sega DOES tank, my first and foremost hope is that Platinum gets the rights to their games' IPs. I WANT VANQUISH 2 DAMMIT.

Read this while on Twitter from DiGi Valentine (who works with Trippy at SEGA Europe) hopefully this kills this crappy rumor

https://twitter.com/#!/DiGi_Valentine

@DiGi_Valentine:SEGA Europe closing? Well, that's funny because me and @imagni work there. So it seems people are chatting shit.

And need I remind America that your QA testing branch closed down ...so where does everything get tested and translated now? SEGA Europe.

He also mentions this which is quite true

SEGA Europe is the 'go to' point for the rest of Europe, without us here SEGA lose this side of the planet entirely. Remember that.
  • Thumbs Up 1

What is an AAA game for that matter

AAA-games from SEGA = Yakuza, Alien, Total War, Sonic, Football Manager.

Edited by Michael Myers

AAA-games from SEGA = Yakuza, Alien, Sonic, Football Manager.

So AAA means a top title?smile.png

If they were to bin Europe, that would mean the end of Sega games being sold in Europe and you would have get it imported from either America or Japan.

Thats not good if that were to happen. sleep.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Na, it seems too unrealistic to me. Plus all those twitter posts up there set my fears down. Although, we have a question now for Mr Iizuka at SoS now don't we?

I don't know about the SEGA America or Europe. The company refused to SEGA consoles. It is not possible. In the same game on SEGA Japan PS3; PS Vita; PSP and Nintendo 3DS they are in favor. Now they often released on these platforms.

It is impossible that they have taken and refused to consoles because of the mobile devices.

I'm sure SEGA will develop in terms of mobile devices in the system Android.

To close the SEGA Europe will be a big loss. Because in France, Germany and England are very big development in the industry.

Sonic Adventure 3

The final AAA Sega game will be announced at this years E3 and be made by Creative Assembly, after that... who knows.

Football manager-Chao Garden minigame confirmed.

Ah this forum will live on, as The My Little Zombie Stadium.

duckulabanner.jpg

Okay, I'm kind of late to the party and I'm sorry to use this post as an image dump of sorts so I'm going to comment.

Not for a single moment I believed this to be real but if you have seen some of my likes in this thread there is something I do agree with all of this, and it's that SEGA's situation has been quite worrisome.

And that report of loses and cuts was so sudden for me (seriously, a few months ago I was reading some profits reports on SEGABits and things looked fine from my Average Joe perspective) that I can't blame them if they believe that the company can suddenly go "lol we're closed" and disappear within a poof.

Having said that, that dreadful report back then also stated that some titles like Sonic, and the ones Creative Assembly have been churning out are still going to be supported (the focus in digital content also makes me hopeful that titles like Phantasy Star Online 2 make it here).

Saying SEGA is going trough some though moments is an understatement but saying the whole thing is dying seems like a stretch to me, they just need to rethink how to approach the console/western market without having to waste much money. (and hopefully most of that money is saved to actually advertise the few AAA titles they will be releasing here).

Edited by gato

The company refused to SEGA consoles. . .

It is impossible that they have taken and refused to consoles because of the mobile devices.

I'm sorry, you lost me. What are they refusing [to do] to the consoles? Make them? Program for them?

Your English is very good, but you're missing a key pair of verbs here, and I can't understand what you're saying.

The initial quote speaks only to SEGA Europe (and all its branches, including SEGA France), and it seems improbable that EVERYTHING will be lost if they close it. And part of the proof that they'll never again develop a Western developer's game, and will be making cell phone and tablet games is that they won't be at Gamescom 2012? Nintendo's skipped a few big conferences and I haven't heard anything about them closing in a few months.

(If they are developing other developers' games, why is Creative Assembly developing their game? or is that because they're developing everyone else's games so they don't have time to develop their own?)

Summary:

• If this rumor is true, Sonic the Hedgehog and other Sega created games from SoA and SoJ will not die.
  • Read the source title. It's Sega Europe. Not the whole Sega itself.
  • I don't know where they got this idea from, but Sega Europe will not close down. As mentioned in previous posts, if Sega Europe closes down, that means the entire Europe which includes the UK will no longer receive Sonic/Sega games unless another third-party publishes it for them. It's simple. This CAN'T happen.
  • If Sega Europe closes down, we should start worrying that both SoA and SoJ are struggling to keep up.

Edited by Ming Ming Love
  • Thumbs Up 2

Man I log on SSMB and see this thread and freak the fuck out only to find out it's all bullshit! Thank gawd.

Though to be honest it's true - that it doesn't make sense at all for SEGA to just stop like this, not when Sonic games perform so well in the market even without lots of marketing. Generations even did pretty well considering it wasn't on Wii... I also heard that Sammy are doing some stuff with shares that should help the company in the long run.

SEGA could go about a lot of things better.

Having their own strong integrity as developers and not having to listen to the fans so much is one of them.

I like to think this restructuring process will help them function a lot better and more efficiently as a modern professional software company C'MON BELIEVE.

And part of the proof that they'll never again develop a Western developer's game, and will be making cell phone and tablet games is that they won't be at Gamescom 2012?

They also skipped Gamescom 2010, by the way. They just don't have enough to show there, but there's a chance their games will be shown by another company. In 2010, Nintendo had Sonic Colors at their booth and Microsoft had Sonic 4.

Doesn't this fall in line with what they said several months ago?

More digital products, and less physical.

And I think they also said that franchises such as Sonic, Aliens, etc are SAFE. Sonic probably isn't going anywhere since he makes millions for SEGA.

Edit: Ah, fake. Not surprised. I think people get too worried about rumors that have little backing.

Edited by Autosaver