Awoo.

Watch Dogs - Everything Is Connected - Connection is Power (All Consoles)

Nintendoga

So I just finished the game. My thoughts haven't changed a whole lot. All I can say is Ubisoft Montreal really needs to learn how to cut the fat. Every time I watch the 15-20 minute credits sequence for an Assassin's Creed game I think about what percentage of those people spent a good two years of their life programming a part of that game's enormously bloated roster of features that I either didn't care about or completely got in the way. Watch Dogs had a similar problem; the core hacking mechanic has A LOT of potential that completely went to the wayside for things like drinking games and a mostly nothing-new multiplayer mode. The infiltration missions were easily the most fun and allowed for the most Deus Ex-y moments.

As for the story, similar issue- it has a good core theme, but too all over the map to address it in any meaningful way. The writing was always unoriginal, boring or hamfisted, but on the plus side, it's rarely all at once. Nothing is great, but nothing is irredeemable either. The Viceroys were so stupidly powerful and over-the-top urban that they felt like they belonged in an inFamous game but damn if it wasn't satisfying to take apart their organization. Lucky Quinn and his disgusting sex-trade operation didn't get the attention they deserved, but his death scene was satisfying and made a clever use of the hacking mechanic as a weapon. Nicky and Jackson were very predictable and more of a plot device than characters but they did get a proper sendoff where I did actually feel empathy. Also, Jordi is one of my favorite game characters in a while. He's a self-aware sociopath; a heartless hitman who takes pride in his work. It was really entertaining to hear the ways he distanced himself from the moral abyss that is his job, like anthroporphizing explosives and dismissing Aiden giving him a reason for hiring him to snipe a group of thugs as "smalltalk." It was a shame that he ruined the ending sequence for no good reason, though. Other than that, the cast was kind of bland, but with no bigger offender than Aiden Pearce. Beyond his utter lack of personality, he's perhaps the greatest example of terrible ludonarrative dissonance gaming has had in a long time. He just has no self-awareness whatsoever. He wasn't unwarranted for wanting revenge for the car crash that caused his nieces death, but he lost any justification the moment he created one himself to simply get away from a gang or the cops. Sure, the game points this out by the end but it feels half-assed, thrown in there at the last minute to create the illusion of character development rather than a looming sense of guilt that grows like a cancer on your conscience as Spec-Ops: The Line masterfully did. Pearce just feels like a huge power fantasy. A chance for the player to play roles usually reserved by the villain. The hacker. The kidnapper. The manipulator. The chessmaster. And it could have worked if he actually WAS portrayed as a villain or at least becoming one. Pearce could have been gaming's Walter White if they attempted to give his moral code the attention it deserved, but instead he's just a forgettable asshole.

In summation, shows potential, don't believe the hype, wait for a price drop and get it for a console unless your computer is from the future.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'll probably have the PS4 version by then though. But it's great to see that people who only have a Wii U will still be able to play it.

Not surprised at all that the end credits are more than 20 minutes long. They've been doing this since Assassins Creed Brotherhood and it's one of many things that annoys me about Ubisoft today.

Hooray, I guess? I wish I could be more excited but knowing it's going to be more akin to the PS3/360 versions is making me extremely hesitant

How do we know it's going to be like the PS3/360 versions? Have they confirmed it or something..? Oh God no please...that's the one version I want to get and considering the Wii U is more powerful than both PS3 and 360 I'll be majorly pissed off with Ubisoft.

Anyway, I'm glad Watch Dogs sold well for a new IP, but I'm still dissappointed it wasn't what it was hyped up to be. The whole hacking mechanic could've had so much more potential but now, it's just another sandbox game with pretty (ish) graphics. I guess it's fun and all but the E3 2012 reveal made it look bloody awesome. D: Not to mention the apparently mediocre plot and characters and an unlikeable Aiden Pierce. yay.

• Thumbs Up 1

How do we know it's going to be like the PS3/360 versions? Have they confirmed it or something..? Oh God no please...that's the one version I want to get and considering the Wii U is more powerful than both PS3 and 360 I'll be majorly pissed off with Ubisoft.

Pretty sure they said in an interview somewhere that the Wii U version would technically be closer to the PS3/360 versions than the PS4/Xbox One versions.

What that quite entails, we shall see, but it's not a good sign.

Watch_Dogs is teaching your kids to hack the public! So says Glenn Beck...he also goes on with the whole "video games are dangerous" crap.

ReviewTechUSA's opinion on this

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh wow, I didn't know all I had to do was press X on my controller to hack anything!

Nintendo have uploaded a CG trailer for Watch Dogs on their YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6k0yXUA6fc

Nothing we haven't seen before already, but this at least reassures us that the Wii U version is actually coming!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ubisoft... how do you fuck up this bad?

So you remember the original texture and lighting effects that Ubisoft showed back in 2012 & 2013? Before the downgrade?

Well... yeah those files are still on the disk, at least in the PC version!

The Worse, creator of the mod on Guru3d: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=390114

Has made massive discoveries/improvements. He has discovered that almost all of the shaders and improvements seen in 2012 and 2013 are still in the game files, such as the e3 2012 explosions. For now he has managed to implement dynamic shadows from headlights, the increased rain density, increased NPC density, as well as 2012 e3 bloom and lens flare.

So you might be thinking 'Watch Dogs runs like arse on the PC.... why would I do this when it would run even worse.

Nope! 

It runs better with these files! There's even a fix for the normal stuttering which occurs in the final release.

ncluded in this mod(not all features are available yet):

-Changes to the default fog values
-Enabled bokeh DOF for the main cameras
-Stuttering Improvements
-E3 2012 Bloom
-Performance Improvements
-Enabled Headlight Shadows
-LoD Changes
-Reflection changes
-Added 3 new cameras to the game(closer, normal, further)
-Rain changes(High quality rain drops, properly reacting to light, etc)
-LensFlares(WIP)
-Lighting changes(TESTING AND WIP)
-Civilians density changes

And many more things.. SOON.

So... long story short, modders can make the game run better with files that are already in the game. And Ubisoft.. didn't do this? Even though it apparently would have taken fuck-all time to do?

Incredible.

So... long story short, modders can make the game run better with files that are already in the game. And Ubisoft.. didn't do this? Even though it apparently would have taken fuck-all time to do?

Correct.

And this is just the first release of the mod, who knows what else is in there.

But apparently, prior to this discovering, driving at full speed from one side of the city to the other on PC resulting in tons of stuttering.

Now it's completely gone.

A few screens.

watch_dogs_2014_06_14b7a9s.png

Headlight shadows are back

Watch_Dogs_2014_06_07_20_26_13_740.png

Post rain daytime.

LMY3Du8.jpg
  • Thumbs Up 8

So you remember the original texture and lighting effects that Ubisoft showed back in 2012 & 2013? Before the downgrade? Well... yeah those files are still on the disk, at least in the PC version!

Well, maybe--

So you might be thinking 'Watch Dogs runs like arse on the PC.... why would I do this when it would run even worse.

Nope! 

It runs better with these files! There's even a fix for the normal stuttering which occurs in the final release.

will-smith-the-fuck.gif

What...what could have possibly been their reasoning here? It's like I'm reading a parody news site responding to the controversy over the noticeable downgrade in this game's graphics with a joke article about how they purposefully made the game look worse for no particular reason just to screw with everyone...but this is, apparently, real life. It actually happened. What.

......yeah, SL summed it up.

Incredible.

What the hell Ubisoft? Were you just too lazy to actually put the E3 2012 effects into the game even though it would have significantly improved it?

At least now we know that what we saw in 2012 was not full of bull shots!

I...huh.....Am I even alive? Is this reality?

The lack of logic is giving me brain damage wacko.png

They obviously didn't want the console versions to suffer because the PC was leaps ahead  of it, so they neutered it even more, but the irony in the long run is that it will sell better with these improvements :P now I might get it with that mod in a year when its a fourth of its current price

I guess they wanted near parity with the console version. Dumb. Ubisoft

Remember, we are talking about the company who delayed a completed game release during a dry spell for a new console, for 5 months for a multiplat release, and the console it was originaly for still got the best sells

Another gorgeous shot. But yeah, holy crap, it's astonishing what a big difference this makes: WTF, Ubisoft.

watch_dogs2014-06-16142sy9.jpg

• Thumbs Up 9

Man that's pretty. I might actually get this on my PC when it's on sale and when more mods roll out...then again when GTA V hits PC I'm sure loads of people will ignore this game, let's be real here.

• Thumbs Up 2

Damn, that's gorgeous.

Though I'm not sure why this should sell me on the game. All I've seen of the game is gunning people down.

Jesus wow, thats soo dumb to do that but I'm glad that at least theirs a good version of Watch_Dogs.

What the actual shitting fuck? what.

I can't.

I just can't. What the fuck. Why. How? How could they do this? Why would they do this? Is this a joke? Is this a mistake? Did they do this on purpose?

And yet it's been 3 fucking weeks since release and the PC patch isn't even released yet. I literally cannot fathom the apparent mind-boggling stupidity that I'm seeing right here.