Awoo.

[Wii U] The Wonderful 101

Senator NinjaShark

Leave it to Reggie to announce the probably best Game of the Conference off stage

From the All Access site

Strength in Numbers

Earth is under attack from an invasion of enormous aliens, and the only thing that can protect the planet is a group of unlikely, yet mighty, heroes with special abilities. Unfortunately, the aliens are too powerful for the heroes to fight individually. They must join forces and work together to defeat their common enemy. These uniquely different heroes can morph into powerful weapons to crush the invaders or turn into objects like a giant fist or bridge to interact with and traverse the environments.

Features:

Players must explore each stage to find helpless citizens and recruit them to join their army of heroes. The more heroes you gather, the greater your Special Morph Powers will be.

Players can use the Wii U GamePad's touch screen to command heroes such as Bonzai Man, Vending Machine Man and even Toilet Bowl Man. Heroes can also morph into gelatin to guard themselves from enemy attacks.

Players can also use the GamePad to explore areas unseen on the TV screen and solve puzzle elements.

Platinum Games, known for hit titles like Bayonetta and MadWorld, has partnered with Nintendo to apply its unique talent to the development of one of the first games for Wii U.

so there you have it, Platinum Games 's Making a Wii U game. Not only that, it's one wich looks like the Spiritual Successor to Viewtiful Joe even.

Color me excited for it. Platinum has a Great track record in my Book, and "Pikmin meets Kamen Rider meets Justice League" is just the thing to tickle my Fancy.

• Thumbs Up 7

That actually looks pretty fun. I'll keep my eye on this. Nintendo really needed to make their conference longer and show off some of these other games.

ohai sonic 2!

titles2font.png

p100s2font.png

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 4

This is Hideki Kamiya's big project he's been working on.

I've gone from "interested" into "must buy".

It looks alright, can't see what the fuss is about! Though it's easily more original than half the crap of this gaming gen. I'll probably not buy it but I do hope it sells really well.

ohai sonic 2!

titles2font.png

p100s2font.png

Maybe I'm just dense but I don't see the connection to Sonic 2...

Maybe I'm just dense but I don't see the connection to Sonic 2...

As Carbo said, it's the font. It's not like fonts are unique to this and that, it's just that that particular font is easily recognisable and I would have thought everyone here would instantly remember seeing it in S2.

As Carbo said, it's the font. It's not like fonts are unique to this and that, it's just that that particular font is easily recognisable and I would have thought everyone here would instantly remember seeing it in S2.

I've owned Sonic 2 for exactly 19 years and only today do I realize that the level titles have a very distinct font.

• 3 months later...

Alright Folks, Major Bump and Update here, we Got a New Trailer and we got a Title for this Thing

Presenting: The Wonderful 101

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll be very disappointed if the climax of the game doesn't involve millions of people joining together to face off against a planet-sized final boss.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 4 months later...

so...yeah.......new trailer, this time around showing off our Heroes Talk (unless I missed that in earlier footage..) and what appears to be Bosses

also Featuring WATERSLIDES!

so...yeah.......new trailer, this time around showing off our Heroes Talk (unless I missed that in earlier footage..) and what appears to be Bosses

also Featuring WATERSLIDES!

It's looking fantastic! Platinum are on a roll this year. Can't wait to play this!

Noticing Roger Craig Smith voicing one of the characters here.

I still think this is the most impressive looking Wii U game to date.

It's been over four months since I said this and I still find it to be the case.

• 3 months later...

This is most likely just Kamiya's rebuttal to the massive drama that was involved with Metal Gear Rising's length. None of Platinum's games are that long. Even Bayonetta can be finished in a matter of hours if you know the ins and outs, and practically all of them are to some degree my favorite games in whatever genre they occupy, so really this is par for the course. Bayonetta, Vanquish and Metal Gear Rising are replayable as hell on the virtue of damn addicting gameplay design and mechanics that allow for so much freedom. It's not necessarily even about getting the scores but about how well you can experiment and find fun from approaching anything from any angle. They are games that reward creativity and precision all while allowing you to go nuts in any capacity.

TW101 will hopefully go above and beyond yet again. I have faith in Kamiya. He hasn't worked on a game proper since Bayonetta so if it's as long as that I'll be happy, but I can settle with MGR length too. The insistence that "length" is a necessary factor for it to be worth your money is nonsense.

I'm just waiting for Nintendo to come out with a release date since much like Pikmin 3 and Wii Fit U the game is most likely done and held back for sake of increasing Wii U's base in the later half of the year. Platinum are way too concise and on the job to have difficulties with development like this.

• Thumbs Up 3

If this game has online/local multiplayer it will add even more value. If it's just a single player game that's 5 hours long, I'm not so sure $59.99 is the right price for it. $49.99 is more reasonable.

If this is just 4-6 hours, I won't get it full price. 60€ is too much for that. I'd be fine with 8-12 hours.

So it looks like @PG_Kamiya has caused another bit of controversy. What he is saying is his basic approach to how he creates an action game. The idea is rooted in that you shouldn't pad your game with content users won't enjoy in order to control play time to the end of the game. It isn't something he wants to do, or thinks you should do.

BTW, if you didn't know @PG_Kamiya is the kind of game director who will pack as much content into the game as he can until he is satisfied. If we were to give in to all of his desires, the game we'd ship would probably be some super-long action game that no one would beat. I've been teamed up with @PG_Kamiya as his producer for a long time now, and game length is something I've never once worried about.

That means both the length of a single play-through and the replayability of the game. Never worried once. Never. Actually, my job really is to be the one who says "This is too %^&* long! Cut it!"

Of course, even though @pg_kamiya didn't intend for people to jump to their own conclusions, they did. In this case, that conclusion was "So TW101 is going to be short then?!" Let me make my own conclusion: TW101 will be so much fun you are going to wear out your Wii U GamePad. You will have plenty of fun playing it for the first time, and just as much fun playing it over and over again. Actually, the Wii U GamePad is pretty sturdy, so you probably won't wear it out...

And I'm sorry I can't explain to you in exact terms why I think you will have so much fun with TW101. I promise there will be plenty of news about the game in the days and weeks to come. But I will say this - Everyone here is working incredibly hard to make sure you say two things about TW101. One: I'm happy I bought a Wii U! -- Two: I'm happy I bought The Wonderful 101!

Sorry for the flood of tweets, but thanks for staying with me!

https://twitter.com/PG_inaba/

• Thumbs Up 4