Awoo.

[Wii U] The Wonderful 101

Senator NinjaShark

So I was playing the demo, and for some reason, my unite morph turned into a hang-glider. Any idea why that happened?

I couldn't figure out what it was for, and the only thing it seemed to do was stop me doing other unite morphs...

You drew a triangle shape.

Not entirely sure why it's enabled in the demo since you don't end up using it there, I assume it's cause by the time you acquire that ability you'll have acquired Green, who is also not available in the actual game during the segment that's in the demo.

Had the demo downloaded since the day it was released, played it once before and couldn't really get into it.

Today I sat down and forced myself to play it properly and I'm so glad I did. This game is so cool when you get the hang of things, I'm never normally able to get into action games but this has really perked my interest. Definitely considering checking the full game out.

Well I only just got Wonder Yellow but it's already time for me to give my borrowed copy back tomorrow, ah well.  I will just add I did discover two really awkward flaws.  Since I got the upgrade that lets you draw quicker, it's next to impossible to get a complex shape when using the right control stick, and while I've gotten good at using the touch screen, it's way too easy to click the tab at the bottom of the screen when drawing the hammer.

I still really wanted to see where the story went with this but I admit I'm not hugely compelled to borrow it again if the opportunity arises... but bleh I just can't bring myself to watch playthroughs.  Games are meant to be played.  At least if I do get the ability to borrow it again I'll be able to for 2 weeks next time, I think.

This game's awful sales are tragic. I know no one ever expected good sales, but only 5000 in Japan? It's just so original and it has so many things that people would love! The characters are fun, the transformations are over the top, the bosses are amazing and extremely satisfying, I just thought that if it got the exposure, something like that could take off..

I know that Kamiya doesn't mind his games selling like crap so long as he gets to make them, but I hope he can recognise that a lot of people love and will love his game.. and I hope the game's bad sales don't put Nintendo or Platinum off the possibility of more entries, because this is one game I'd love to see a perfected game of.

It sucks that it doesn't seem like Wonder Red will be in SSB4 or anything :/ that kind of advertising is an easy way to get attention. Fire Emblem and Mother would never have the attention they have today if not for Smash.

Okay I give in, what on earth are you supposed to do in the third operation where you break into the ever-rotating interior of a ship and there's a huge wall of fire in your way?

Well damn.

That final boss just happened.

I'm seriously convinced that this is Platinum's best game ever, and one of the best games of the past and new generation. Good god almighty, this game needs to be experienced to it's fullest. Here I thought Bayonetta had a batshit insane final act that never relented. Bayonetta's final act is a fucking Disney movie compared to this.

Okay I give in, what on earth are you supposed to do in the third operation where you break into the ever-rotating interior of a ship and there's a huge wall of fire in your way?

Shoot the containers inside the flames.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shoot the containers inside the flames.

Arg I tried that and it didn't seem to be doing anything.  Welp back I go.  Thanks.

And damnit those finale impressions make me annoyed that I have to give this back tomorrow lol.

Edited by JezMM

This game's awful sales are tragic. I know no one ever expected good sales, but only 5000 in Japan? It's just so original and it has so many things that people would love! 

Yeah, sadly I don't expect things to get any better in the US. It may possibly perform worse than Japan.

Still confused as to why Nintendo of America pretty much sent this game to die, releasing it around the same time as GTA 5.

Hot dang I think I'm on the final Operation and;

I didn't expect such a blatant Space Harrier reference in the gameplay! Kamiya really loves that game huh?

Unfortunately I suck at it! I died like 3 times on the inside-the-shirogane-comet segment

Yup, Autosaver is right. Just managed to get my copy in the morning. Lucky for me, since I was at the convention only for today.

They're giving out 101 copies each day at PAX, so that's 404 copies total. If there are any Wii U owners who want this game and are at the convention tomorrow and Monday, you have a chance to grab it.

Can't wait to try it when I fly back home tomorrow.

Edited by canderson

I finished it just earlier, and now that it's had time to settle and I've been able to comprehend how much work I still have to do to unlock stuff, my impression of the game grows more and more with each passing second - I think I'm a fan as this is one of the best games I've played all year, and easily the Platinum game I've enjoyed most. It reeks of love and Kamiya's passion for every era of video games, the music is so nostalgic yet all new, and the battles invoke such an unmatched sense of satisfaction when they go well.

So now I'm also increasingly sad that this game will never reach the popularity it deserves. I know Nintendo aren't usually the kind to base sequel chances on popularity, but I really hope this doesn't affect the chances of a sequel being made. Infact.. I hope it gains popularity over time, it seems like Nintendo's advertising wasn't good enough to make it sell.

• Thumbs Up 2

I did see adverts twice on TV so Nintendo is advertising it. I don't think it'll be enough though.

Edited by KrazyBean

Okay, got this game a few days ago. I do feel somewhat conflicted on it, to be honest. On the one hand it's clear that there's a very good game in there.It's just buried under so many layers of problems with player accessibility that half the time it has me wondering if it's worth it. 

I put the difficulty down to Easy a few hours in, which made it considerably more manageable, although ironically that didn't solve many of my problems with the game. The 'difficulty' I generally have with it is more "What the hell am I supposed to do and how am I supposed to do it/ why can't I make it work properly?" rather than anything else.

One of the most frustrating parts I've come across so far has to have been a part where you have to pick up and carry a gear across the room, and put it back in place in order to turn it. I spent the better part of five minutes trying to figure out how to pick up and carry an object, because the method of doing so which the game had taught me for pretty much everything else didn't work on it. Now I'm not claiming to be a pro gamer by any means, but I'm not an idiot, either. If it takes me five minutes to figure out something so basic that it shouldn't even be an issue, does the fault lie with the player (stupid) or the developer (not explaining themselves)?

The game's definitely fun, but it throws far too many ideas at you and doesn't really explain any of them clearly enough. The on-screen prompts are too brief or vague a lot of the time and sometimes disappear before you have time to read them. I feel like at least once a level I get stuck in my tracks and unable to progress for 5-10 minutes due to a new or poorly-explained game mechanic or idea leaving me with no idea what the hell I'm supposed to do or how the hell I'm supposed to do it.

There's a line between a game playing itself/ holding your hand to a condescending degree and simply explaining itself in enough depth to play it properly. W101 definitely falls foul of this in my opinion.

EDIT: In fairness, this game was never going to sell well. It's a weird-ass crazy niche title that's convoluted and hardcore as fuck. 
Edited by -Mark-

I won't deny that some things need to be explained in game a lot better, Wonder Build and lifting things with Wonder Liner mostly, but also the fact you can recruit enemy soldiers when they glow purple was never even mentioned in passing.

I can understand the idea of wanting to let the gamers figure things out for themselves once the game teaches them the basics, but I think it could have been better executed. For the most part though, I think it works, with just a few instances where the game really doesn't give you enough info.

When you're not sure what to do, follow your gut, try different combinations of things, using the touch screen for morphs can make them very quick if you get used to it.

Oh god yes, Wonder Build. That shit doesn't even work half the time unless you do it in a stupidly specific way. D:

Oh god yes, Wonder Build. That shit doesn't even work half the time unless you do it in a stupidly specific way. D:

The trick I've found is that every member needs to be not stunned, and then just use the R-Stick to direct them all in, usually one or two may not make it in so walk back a little and wiggle the R-stick around and eventually they'll figure it out. (just don't press Y cause that calls everyone back :C )

Good lord almighty

Wow...what a beast! How did he even switch between Unite Morphs so quickly like that???

Edited by KrazyBean

god that was amazing, I love how great this game looks when played at its best, definitely gonna make a good game to get for my wii u when I get one (whenever I get one :(

EVERYONE playing this game NEEDS to watch these tutorials! Holy crap I've learnt sooooo much!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdHbPXNJvVE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSAbLRnGiWg

He will release more in the future.

Picked the game up on Friday and I've got up to Operation 005 now (I'd have got further but I've been balancing it out with Rayman Legends as well). I have but one word to describe Platinum's latest offering, and lucky for me, it's already the adjective used in the title - wonderful.

I could gush about The Wonderful 101 all day long. There's just so much love from the developers that's clearly been poured into this game and it shows at almost every angle - the graphics are gorgeous, the gameplay is sublime once you get to grips with its intricacies, the characterisation is brilliant, the script is the right amount of cheesy with plenty of laugh-out-loud moments... and holy crap some of those set-pieces are insane. I can't wait to boot up the C mission of an operation, just to see what wacky and crazy boss scenarios they're going to throw at me next. 

If there's any niggles, it's that a couple of the more 'gimmicky' moments where you're piloting various vehicles don't quite work as well as others, and on the occasions that the action shifts to the GamePad screen, the camera can be really finicky. But fortunately these parts of the game are over quickly enough and you can get back to the wonderfully crafted kick-ass action.

The game having pitifully low sales doesn't surprise me, but it certainly disappoints me. If you have a Wii U then I implore you, go out and buy this game, or at the very least download the demo and give it a whirl. It's an experience quite unlike anything else, and I for one am loving it.

Also, spoiler alert time! For anyone wondering who the game's top secret characters are, they were revealed at a Wonderful 101 panel at PAX. Some of you have probably worked out their identities already, but even so, here you go...

BTHpC8FCQAEHvbN.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

One of those was predictable, but the other two are excellent additions to the first. Nice move!

So uh... SEGA owns those characters. I'm confused.

Edited by Blue Blood

One of those was predictable, but the other two are excellent additions to the first. Nice move!

So uh... SEGA owns those characters. I'm confused.

I'm confused too.

As far as I know, SEGA aren't credited anywhere in the credits. They're appearing in a Nintendo IP without any mention of SEGA.

Unless I've missed something, anyone else?