Awoo.

[Wii U] The Wonderful 101

Senator NinjaShark

Due to some spending cuts I've had to make in order to save up for the Christmas season, I'll have to refrain from buying this game until after the holidays.

The demo's still incredible though.

I definitely plan on getting it later today.  The demo is more fun every time I play it, so I can't wait to try out the full product.

Though I hope you guys aren't hyping the final boss too much.  I have the tendency to let my expectations soar way too high for that stuff.  Then again, Platinum hasn't disappointed me in that department yet.

Alright! I finally got this game! I've been waiting for this for so freaking long and my hype combined with most of the impressions I've heard made the wait all the more unbearable.

I'm totally ready to get into this game!

Though I hope you guys aren't hyping the final boss too much.  I have the tendency to let my expectations soar way too high for that stuff.  Then again, Platinum hasn't disappointed me in that department yet.

As long as you go in expecting the usual levels of lunacy from Platinum Games, you won't be disappointed.

Anyway, to everyone in America getting the game now it's out across the pond - enjoy! You're in for a hell of a ride.

GAMERS... UNITE UP!!!

Tempted, but I am only getting one game before Novemember, and kinda split over this and WWHD, so just have to wait and see if any sales come up over the next couple weeks... I do need games for my wii-u though

Tempted, but I am only getting one game before Novemember, and kinda split over this and WWHD, so just have to wait and see if any sales come up over the next couple weeks... I do need games for my wii-u though

Have you played Windwaker before? you're not asking for my opinion but I'm going to give it to you, HAHA! It's a pretty good game, and I'm sure the HD remake will be fantastic.

But Wonderful 101 is ridiculously fun. Like super duper ridiculously fun. I've just finished it after playing it whenever I can for like 3 weeks and I'm already thinking about going back and playing it again. It's really good, especially if you have an interest in action games, or old school gaming (!!!) from which wonderful 101 constantly homages and owes a lot of it's design decisions too. It's so good!

Have you played Windwaker before? you're not asking for my opinion but I'm going to give it to you, HAHA! It's a pretty good game, and I'm sure the HD remake will be fantastic.

But Wonderful 101 is ridiculously fun. Like super duper ridiculously fun. I've just finished it after playing it whenever I can for like 3 weeks and I'm already thinking about going back and playing it again. It's really good, especially if you have an interest in action games, or old school gaming (!!!) from which wonderful 101 constantly homages and owes a lot of it's design decisions too. It's so good!

only LoZ game I have played was OoT on my N64 this summer. Trick is I technicly only have the budget to get one game NOW, anything else goes on my B-day or Christmas lists, because I have to save some money for SSB next year

I really wanna get this game, but I think I might have to wait until 2014. I won't have my Wii-u until a few days before Sonic Lost World and at that point I'll already have too many games to buy.............

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 1

I really wanna get this game, but I think I might have to wait until 2013.

Well, today's your lucky day, because 2013 is already here! In fact, it's been here for nine months!

:P

In all seriousness though, whether you buy the game now or buy it further down the line, it's all good. This is such a quality Wii U game and it would be a real shame to miss out on it completely, even if it does mean buying it when it's in a bargain bin and Platinum Games get even less money than they're getting from it already.

• Thumbs Up 3

Finally got my hands on this bad boy. It was actually sold out at the first place I tried (I had to brave a GTA lineup to ask, too)... though if I heard the guy correctly, they might have only had a whole one copy in stock to start with.

Now I just need to, uh, actually buy a machine to play it on.

• Thumbs Up 1

*Pheeeeeeeew...*

I've just beaten Operation 003. Holy hell, I love this game. It can get pretty exhausting, but it's incredibly fun! The combat really test how well you're paying attention to what's going on around you. I've definitely learn to keep an eye on all angles in case of attacks, because in the beginning, I was getting my ass kicked pretty badly. So I took some time to just screw around and now things work much better for me.

The unite morphs work much better than they did in the demo, imo. So far they come work went I need them two whether I draw them or used the right stick... Well, except Unite Glider. I do have some problems here and there with that form. I try drawing smaller triangles and it sort of reduces the fuck ups, but still. If anyone has a method that works good with it, I'd appreciate it.

Still, I'm enjoying this game a lot. It's really satisfying the massive hype I had for it.

Edited by YoshiUnity

For Unite Glider, draw larger triangles instead of smaller ones (I'd also actually recommend using the touch screen for it as it's the one Morph you don't ever need to use in the heat of battle). Make sure your triangles aren't too rounded as well otherwise it may think it's a circle. I think you'll enjoy Operation 004 in terms of how it further develops the plot and a certain character in particular.

• Thumbs Up 1

For Unite Glider, draw larger triangles instead of smaller ones (I'd also actually recommend using the touch screen for it as it's the one Morph you don't ever need to use in the heat of battle). Make sure your triangles aren't too rounded as well otherwise it may think it's a circle. I think you'll enjoy Operation 004 in terms of how it further develops the plot and a certain character in particular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYQWf6iyvB4

Glider's a deadly weapon.

Anyways, finished up Operation 4 a little bit ago.

End of Operation Boss was rather underwhelming to be honest.  Very good chapter for developing Blue's and Red's character though, however the dialogue boxes and flashback bubbles got in the way a bit when in combat.  I didn't expect any portion of the game to get touchy feely in any way, shape, or form, and I

especially didn't expect Blue to be the one to do it.  W101's story doesn't have the most interesting set-up, but the characters more than make up for it.

Edited by Nix

I got mine Tuesday night, but didn't get to play until today.  Yesterday I was having a major sinus attack, and this did not seem like a good game to merge with dizziness and borderline nausea.  How do I form the blasted jello-mold?  I just got trashed by the ram-mobile and not a single button would give me the blob to bounce it's attacks back at it.

I got mine Tuesday night, but didn't get to play until today.  Yesterday I was having a major sinus attack, and this did not seem like a good game to merge with dizziness and borderline nausea.  How do I form the blasted jello-mold?  I just got trashed by the ram-mobile and not a single button would give me the blob to bounce it's attacks back at it.

You have to buy Unite Guts from the shop first.

Why it and Spring aren't given to you at the start of the game is beyond me.

Edited by Nix

Buy Unite Guts from the Wonderful Mart, then press ZL.

As Nix says, it does seem silly that Unite Guts and Unite Spring aren't given to you from the start as they are two fairly essential techniques (and especially as they were in the demo, too). But on the other hand, they're both cheap as chips as you can buy them basically straight away after the first mission, so it's not as if they're hard to get.

Ah.  So they provide it for the demo, but give no clue that it's not there in the game.  Thanks, I'll pay a visit to the store before I try it again.

Just beat Operation 005. Dat boss, man! Dat freaking boss!

HA HAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! It's Punch-Out!! It's freaking Punch-Out!! almost to a T!

I was expecting it to be a fist fight from the trailer, but this... man, they knocked it out of the park. It had the star punch meter, P-bot as a ref and Wallgah-goojin even fell like classic Punch-Out!!

If I wasn't as into the story as I was, I'd play through it again immediately.

Just beat Operation 005. Dat boss, man! Dat freaking boss!

HA HAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! It's Punch-Out!! It's freaking Punch-Out!! almost to a T!

I was expecting it to be a fist fight from the trailer, but this... man, they knocked it out of the park. It had the star punch meter, P-bot as a ref and Wallgah-goojin even fell like classic Punch-Out!!

If I wasn't as into the story as I was, I'd play through it again immediately.

Don't worry, there's more where that came from

wink.png

In other news - hooray! The Wonderful 101 is the #1 Wii U game in France! It's probably not saying much in the grand scheme of things, but hey, it's something!

Meanwhile, W101 makes #8 in the UK Wii U characters and the only Nintendo game in the all format top 40 charts is AC:NL on 3DS. Once again, no Wii U exclusive game is anywhere to be seen.

Edited by Blue Blood

Quick tip for finding secret missions. A good number of them can be found by backtracking from where you are after you beat a bunch of enemies/complete a mission. Sometimes it can be as far as going all the way back to the start of the level to find that extra mission or that hidden Kahkoo-regah (pardon the most likely butchered spelling).

• Thumbs Up 1

A few seem to be somewhat inconsistent in how they appear- I couldn't get the one in 003-B as hard as tried, no matter what crackpot theories i followed to make it appear.

I'm playing this through a second time. It's amazing how much better my grades are now I understand the battle system. Took me forever to get used to when and when not to Unite Guts

Took me forever to get used to when and when not to Unite Guts

That's still one feature that has me stumped.  I can't for the life of me discern a Guts-friendly attack from an un-blockable one.  It's like "Oh hey, blocking this scorpion's giant sharp claw is fine and dandy, but blocking this scorpion's giant sharp TAIL?  Pssh, keep dreaming."

I don't know if I'm just completely missing something or if this is a fault of the game, but I'm guessing it's the latter.