Awoo.

[Wii U] The Wonderful 101

Senator NinjaShark

Im just guessing at this point, all I know is that fists-like attacks (and hammer) and round projectiles can be guts'd, other stuff I just dodge out of the way.

Guts block charge attacks, but not frenzied enemies, they block grunt sword attacks too, it also proves well against those tortoise things stomping on you because they're a fucking pain to dispatch without dazing them, and of course you can deflect bomb projectiles back at the firer.

All lasers can be blocked with unite sword, it's easy to tell when an enemy is using a laser attack since they need to charge it, however most heavy attacks are unblockable and need to be evaded with Unite Spring, or simply drawing a line away from the enemy's attack range whilst running to avoid knocking out your heroes.

Guts block charge attacks, but not frenzied enemies, they block grunt sword attacks too, it also proves well against those tortoise things stomping on you because they're a fucking pain to dispatch without dazing them, and of course you can deflect bomb projectiles back at the firer.   All lasers can be blocked with unite sword, it's easy to tell when an enemy is using a laser attack since they need to charge it, however most heavy attacks are unblockable and need to be evaded with Unite Spring, or simply drawing a line away from the enemy's attack range whilst running to avoid knocking out your heroes.
Adding onto the point about the armoured tortoises, once you topple them over after hitting them with Unite Guts, you can get behind them, use Unite Whip and grab their tail to throw them and deal a chunk of damage.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Adding onto the point about the armoured tortoises, once you topple them over after hitting them with Unite Guts, you can get behind them, use Unite Whip and grab their tail to throw them and deal a chunk of damage.

Wow I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip. These guys are the worst...

The quickest way to dispatch the tortoises after flipping them is equipping a full sized Unite Hammer and doing a air smash on them I've found, if you run out of power and your hammer shrinks, finish it off with a Unite Tombstone.

So...I've finally gotten the proper chance to play this *after not being able to for the past couple days due to working* and god damn this game is insane. I don't know how many operations there are but I'm currently up to Operation....er 2-B? I just finished the boss fight, falling from the giant tower to save the goddess statue, that was excellent and I'm just getting the hang of combo-ing moves properly as well.

I can definitely tell I'm going to keep enjoying this, though I don't know how else to describe a random ass experience like this, overall I'm having a blast and that's what counts.

Wow, just completed Operation 005-C. Fantastic boss battle.

Definitely was not expecting a reference to....THAT! xD

Really enjoying the game and hopefully the remaining Operations will remain as entertaining as the first five(well, Operation 4 was a huge bore).

Edited by canderson

Wow, just completed Operation 005-C. Fantastic boss battle.

Definitely was not expecting a reference to....THAT! xD

Really enjoying the game and hopefully the remaining Operations will remain as entertaining as the first five(well, Operation 4 was a huge bore).

If this is the same battle I saw earlier on a news blog, I thought it was funny that Kamiya got rejected of the soundtrack request.

Managed to unlock my first secret character today.

Wonder Captain i.e. Captain Nelson complete with Unite Drill power

Currently on 66 out of 101 bottle caps and over 40 hours play time. Cannot get enough of this game. It's like each time I play through a level I find something new, it's incredible just how many secrets there are as well as how well hidden a lot of them are. It's crazy!

• Thumbs Up 1

Love that theme so much. It's so glorious sounding. The male chorus just makes my ears melt.

Finally found all of the Wonderful 100 members in addition to 2 secret characters. Though I must admit I did resort to a guide for the last 5 or 6 and I was kicking myself for missing them honestly. I'mma lay down some more tips for you guys:

- Unite Guru bottle cap (use 10 different unite morphs in 1 combo) can pretty much only be done in operation 009-B unless you have secret characters as this is the only mission where you actually have access to 10 different unite morphs.

- There are a handful of bottle caps involving completing secret missions and Kahkoo-regah. One should note that for these you need to beat them on EVERY respective difficulty rather than just one line for most bottle caps (ie. All 5 difficulties for secret missions and the latter 3 for the Kahkoo-regah).

- You may have noticed enemies occasionally spawn weapons on the ground upon defeating them. This is not random. When an enemy spawns they have a certain coloured circle beneath them. If you defeat that enemy with the corresponding colour unite morph, they drop a weapon.

That's what I've got for now. Hope it's at least a bit helpful.

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m
  • Thumbs Up 1

I bought this game ages ago, but only got around to playing it properly today. My God. After playing the first mission, and it being the same as the demo, I wasn't that interested, but mission 2... Wow. The enemies just get bigger, the characters get better and the action gets epic-er. So, SO very happy to say I misjudged it based on the first level. A game hasn't made me this tense, and then make me laugh so much all at once in a long time. Brilliant, and looking forward to seeing how the story goes!

I bought this game ages ago, but only got around to playing it properly today. My God. After playing the first mission, and it being the same as the demo, I wasn't that interested, but mission 2... Wow. The enemies just get bigger, the characters get better and the action gets epic-er. So, SO very happy to say I misjudged it based on the first level. A game hasn't made me this tense, and then make me laugh so much all at once in a long time. Brilliant, and looking forward to seeing how the story goes!

You're in for one hell of a ride full of twists, turns, even bigger enemies, and even bigger laughs! Enjoy!

WARNING, POTENTIALLY EXTREMELY ANNOYING GLITCH IF YOU AREN'T CAREFUL.

In Operation 006-A after you defeat the giant enemy crab you can go to the bottom right, draw a wonder liner for a bridge and go to a small platform. This platform has a bunch of civilians, a pedestal for you to Wonder Build and Wonder Pixie. Upon building the pedestal you should receive figure 24 however, a glitch may occur causing you to not receive it at all and instead just get nothing, meaning it becomes impossible for you to get all the figures. To avoid this, backup a save and make sure you build the pedestal before you recruit Wonder Pixie (I can't confirm this 100% but it should evade the glitch). I found this out the hard way

I REALLY hope this gets patched. I would love to 100% this game but I don't want to start a new file as I've poured over 50 hours into my current one.

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m

I've actually beaten the game sometime ago, but was a bit too lazy for distracted to actually give my opinion on it.

So let me get the negatives out the way here, which won't take all that long. I felt that the game should had explained how the Unite-Morphs upgrades -- like Rising, Stinger and Whirlwind -- worked when prompted instead of having me looking them up. I'd rather it work that way to keep the game moving along -- let alone a game as fast-paced as this. Also, when using Unite Build to form random objects, I wish the game would have some indication to how many heroes I needed to form the object. Sometimes I needed a full 100, sometimes I didn't. Last, while the drawing controls weren't nagging me with issues, there were moments when I tried to confirm a Unite Morph only to have it fail on me -- despite drawing the shapes correctly. It happened to me in some real keys moments and prove to be a bit frustrating in the heat of the moment.

...Okay, that's done! Now for the gushing! I still freaking love this game! Yeah, I said that there were negatives, but this was literally a game that I still loved despite any issue I had with it. It has charm, it has an awesome story and provides a gaming experience that unique on it's own despite all the comparisons people make. Seriously, most developers in the industry wouldn't have the balls to even pitch a project like this!

It's a brand new experience that mixes the likes of Bayonetta with Pikmin, into something of it's own. Resulting into a game where focusing on the horde of enemies and being mindful of your defensive maneuvers is key to victory. I learn the hard way that focusing on a single enemy when they're are many will only get you killed. Whether grunt or boss clone, they're not having any of your shit! They come at you at anytime, sometimes with no pattern in sight. The best thing you can do here is upgrade your moves and learn how to utilize them in combos. Combos are the keys to taking down enemies quickly so they don't gang up on you. So if you think a move will connect, do it!

Oh and the bosses... See, I love Platinum Games for many reasons, but here's two. One, their boss fights are some of the best in the industry because they go up and beyond testing you on what you've learn from the current level. Second, they prove that QTEs can bring emotion if used correctly.  The bosses in this game are freaking genius. They are all almost completely different in bouts, but still test you on whatever new skill you learn. One boss fight, you could be giving chase via the Virgin Victory. The next, you can be taking down a giant Shadow of the Colossus style. True, they use some QTEs, but there's more than enough time for you to fight manually, so they never overstay their welcome. And Platinum QTEs are best QTEs. Since they are only used for either actions that wouldn't make make much sense to map out as an combo move, and still to give you a simple sense of rush from going completely apeshit on some poor bastard enemy.

And yes, the final boss not only meets Platinum Games standards, but lived up to the claims a lot of you were making. It was fun, had a mighty sense of presence and just would not go down until it was all was said and done. And besides that boss, I REALLY want to go in-depth with two other bosses but I'm a little too tired right now to use spoiler at the moment, so I won't. I REALLY don't want anything to accidentally slip here. So I might talk about them later.

The story did a fine job tying everything together, providing likeable characters and moments that were hilarious and even sad. Though some of my favorite moments were the ones when the game literally made fun of itself whether it was were the over-dramatic senpai tropes or of how the gameplay works. There is never a dull moment here with this game.

To take all this and combine with an awesome artstyle and an amazing soundtrack, you will find yourself a winner despite the moments of frustration. The Wonderful 101 is a great game on many fronts, and clearly deserves A LOT more recognition than the scraps it's getting now. People want an awesome experience on the Wii U. Well here's a prime example of one right here.  It's a short game, but with all the delightful insanity that takes place it feels a hell of a lot longer than it actually is in a good way. Despite my huge backlog of games I want to play, I'm already considering an immediate second playthrough. This time, with Japanese voice-overs and English subtitles.  Have to do it!

This is an Wonderful game, in more way than 101.

wonder+101.gif

On an unrelated topic - which of the Wonderful Ones is your favourite, be it due to their personality or their gameplay style? I'm torn between Wonder Blue and Wonder Pink. I definitely use the Unite Sword more than any other Unite Morph for offensive purposes so by that virtue I use Blue a lot... but then again, Wonder Pink is just, well, Wonder Pink! What's not to like? tongue.png

Since I beat the game now, my two favorite are Wonder Yellow and Wonder White. Wonder Yellow, because I thought his hammer was very useful, especially once I was able to utilize the stinger, whirlwind and rising combos. Wonder White, because his moveset was just overall high-speed fun, and was very useful to get around the levels.

Also, I like how their personalities sort of contrast the perception of who people expect them to be. Yellow being a big, powerful and shy war hero. White being a ninja who can't shut up.

Edited by Wonder-Unity
  • Thumbs Up 5

I absolutely LOVE this track!. It makes you feel like such a badass whenever this plays during boss fights. It's so freaking epic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_moHXjH7pc

• Thumbs Up 1

Do you really have to do all the secret missions on Easy and Very Easy as well? I don't care about doing the harder difficulties, but the easy ones are gonna be a pain in my dang ass.

This is probably my favourite game right now :>

Yes you do. Thankfully there are only 10 in the game and once you beat one you can quit the stage when the game next saves and it will still count.

• Thumbs Up 1

I absolutely LOVE this track!. It makes you feel like such a badass whenever this plays during boss fights. It's so freaking epic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_moHXjH7pc

YES! Been trying to find that track for ages now, absolutely my favourite piece of music in the game. It really gets you pumped up for the epic battle at hand, and just adds even more enjoyment to the already brilliant boss fights.

This game is just too damn good.

About to start Operation 009. I've already spoiled the fact that this is the final operation, but that's no big deal.

I hope this whole ending sequence is as amazing as most of the people who played the game, a few pages back, makes it out to be. xD

About to start Operation 009. I've already spoiled the fact that this is the final operation, but that's no big deal.

I hope this whole ending sequence is as amazing as most of the people who played the game, a few pages back, makes it out to be. xD

It is. We are not over exaggerating...it really is insanely epic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Your are in for one hell of a show, man.

I'm very confident that you'll come back from it with as much as a smile as the rest of us.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just finished the game and you two were right, the entire ending sequence was so ridiculously over the top, in an amazing way. When you think you're done with the final boss, it just keeps throwing more surprises with you.

Very satisfying finale indeed and probably my favorite Wii U game as of now.

Edit: The Epilogue is.....cool, I guess. xD

Edited by canderson

Made a video summing up my thoughts on 101.  Most of the stuff I say is criticism, but I criticize it because I love it.

• Thumbs Up 7