Awoo.

[Wii U] The Wonderful 101

Senator NinjaShark

I absolutely LOVE this track!. It makes you feel like such a badass whenever this plays during boss fights. It's so freaking epic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_moHXjH7pc

Yeah it's pretty good.

I've been looking around for a particular track for awhile now, I remember rather liking it during the 7 minute trailer, and its usage in game was quite good too.  After looking around for it for about a week somebody finally uploaded it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h37oTZEGRXE&f

My favorite track in the game by far.  Sounds a lot like "Don't Speak Her Name!" from Fire Emblem: Awakening.  Very emotional.

UNITE BOMB!

UNITE CLAW!

UNITE SWORD!

UNITE WHIP!

UNITE GUN!

UNITE HAMMER!

UNITE HAND!

UNITE ULTRA PLATINUM!

Edited by Wonder Nix
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah it's pretty good.

I've been looking around for a particular track for awhile now, I remember rather liking it during the 7 minute trailer, and its usage in game was quite good too.  After looking around for it for about a week somebody finally uploaded it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h37oTZEGRXE&f

My favorite track in the game by far.  Sounds a lot like "Don't Speak Her Name!" from Fire Emblem: Awakening.  Very emotional.

UNITE BOMB!

UNITE CLAW!

UNITE SWORD!

UNITE WHIP!

UNITE GUN!

UNITE HAMMER!

UNITE HAND!

UNITE ULTRA PLATINUM!

Dude! I've been looking for this for the longest! This song played during most of my favorite parts in the game!

Thanks for posting it!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

Huge bump for this topic so I can share this wall paper that this guy graciously screen capped at the end of the game and for anyone who is just now playing the game to talk about it.

Here is the wall paper (warning its something thats after the credits so if you don't want to spoil it, don't look at this yet): http://www.deviantart.com/art/The-Wonderful-101-Ending-Screen-Wallpaper-high-res-421393386

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, so for those of you who own it, W101's standard price is now $30, was considering picking it up since I can get it out of my monthly pleasure budget,(which isnt enough for say DKCTF though, which I kinda want to wait on anyways, got other games coming[X, SSB4, and Hyrule wariiors] which I plan to put my main budget towards)

So yeah, not the best at brawlers, but enjoy them,  and it would be a nice addition to my collection(and variety, as I already have a decent amount of platformers) is it worth getting? I mean I know its good, but especialy at this price, is it a nice addition?

I went to GameStop last week and they didn't have it urgh that Wii u section is like a ghost town

I went to GameStop last week and they didn't have it urgh that Wii u section is like a ghost town

they have it at my local walmart, and honestly if I do preorders it would be either Best buy or gamestop if needed, thing is most of my gaming stuff is cash bought, so cant do an online preorder, though also my Best buy was out, but my general stores like walmart and target have it

I say buy it, this game has a good bit of things to stand out from the usual affairs of a brawler and it has a lot of unlockables for you to get that will most likely take up a good amount of your time if you have nothing else to play but even without that the game is still a decent length and has a very fun and creative gameplay.

I've played the demo and I'm certainly going to get it, it's a brawler but has some puzzle elements as to which unite morph you need to defeat ( or remove armour so you can defeat ) an enemy, the story is supposed ally really good and has a good amount of playtime. The demo is around 20-30 minutes and that's just one mission, given there are about 3 missions per area and I think 9 missions? That's a good 9 hours or so of play time. O course it's probably longer as later missions are likely harder and longer, plus any extra content to unlock.

I couldn't play this, it was too confusing too me, it didn't feel good when I played the demo. I'm probably a minority for not liking this game, plus playing it bored me too, I played for like at least 40 minutes and I didn't get any real joy out of this game. I tried and tried to learn the controls but uniting stuff just seems to never work for me. 

I got to the point were I was like "Fuck this game."

lol idk I tried

The one thing I didn't like about the demo was how you couldn't unite morph using the touchscreen from the start and you have to use the right stick, touch morphing unlocked somewhere along the line, but I only realised because I kept trying it out

The one thing I didn't like about the demo was how you couldn't unite morph using the touchscreen from the start and you have to use the right stick, touch morphing unlocked somewhere along the line, but I only realised because I kept trying it out

Touch unite was something you had to unlock in the demo? I think that was my problem, I kept on using the touch screen to unite. I never got that far to unlock that, but I don't remember telling me I couldn't use it after I unlocked it.

I pkayed the demo it's a bad level to start with because it doesn't tell you much. The prologue level should of been the actual demo since that's fair and gives you a better understanding of how to play from what I've seen

That's what I mean, it must have been disabled at the start and then enabled later on in the demo, but it definitely didn't tell me. Like I said if I hadn't kept trying I would have probably missed it.

Although I used a mixture if this stick and the pad, mainly used the stick for unite sword

Well it seems this game has a lot of content I guess, I wouldn't mind seeing Wonder Red for super smash bros. 4, equip unite weapons I guess. 

• 5 years later...

6 year bump

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/02/wonderful_101_confirmed_for_switch_but_theres_a_catch 

Platinum have launched a Kickstarter to fund porting and remastering this game to Switch ($50k), PC ($250k) and PS4 ($500k). Further stretch goals have yet to be disclosed, but as of writing the campaign has been up for new minutes and is already closing in on the Switch goal. EDIT: Switch goal has now been hit 

I dunno how I feel about this. Platinum just received an investment from Tencent, a notorious Chinese company closely tied to the government there. I'm not sure why they're having to reach out for further funding. But still, this is a thing and it will soon be a successful thing at this rate. Go nuts.

EDIT 2: With regards to the recent investment, it's actually addressed in the FAQs section of the Kickstarter: "Although PlatinumGames has recently received a capital investment from an outside firm, our plans for The Wonderful 101: Remastered precede that agreement, and capital received from the investment will not be used to fund the development costs associated with the project.". I still really dislike the whole Tencent investment regardless, so this doesn't sway me at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's almost at $500,000 already. Holy crap.

I played the game on WiiU and wanted so bad to love it, but the gameplay just really didn't do anything for me. I really hope the Switch version is more enjoyable, because I adore the world and atmosphere of the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

I played the game on WiiU and wanted so bad to love it, but the gameplay just really didn't do anything for me. I really hope the Switch version is more enjoyable, because I adore the world and atmosphere of the game.

I’m glad you said it. I got the original version on Wii U as part of Nintendo's free game promotion and the gameplay just did not mesh with me one bit. I really appreciate the game for what it is, but I didn't like it. Won't be picking it up for Switch, although I'm glad it's getting a second chance here.

4 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

6 year bump

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/02/wonderful_101_confirmed_for_switch_but_theres_a_catch 

Platinum have launched a Kickstarter to fund porting and remastering this game to Switch ($50k), PC ($250k) and PS4 ($500k). Further stretch goals have yet to be disclosed, but as of writing the campaign has been up for new minutes and is already closing in on the Switch goal. EDIT: Switch goal has now been hit 

I dunno how I feel about this. Platinum just received an investment from Tencent, a notorious Chinese company closely tied to the government there. I'm not sure why they're having to reach out for further funding. But still, this is a thing and it will soon be a successful thing at this rate. Go nuts.

EDIT 2: With regards to the recent investment, it's actually addressed in the FAQs section of the Kickstarter: "Although PlatinumGames has recently received a capital investment from an outside firm, our plans for The Wonderful 101: Remastered precede that agreement, and capital received from the investment will not be used to fund the development costs associated with the project.". I still really dislike the whole Tencent investment regardless, so this doesn't sway me at all.

While we're talking about companies being involved in this Kickstarter that we don't like, Dangen Entertainment, the Japan-based indie publisher responsible for this port, is notorious for withholding payment from their developers as well as poor management and communication.

A few months ago, two articles were posted on Medium explaining in great detail their misconduct, which you can follow its aftermath in this ResetEra thread (here's a Techraptor article that summarizes the allegations in a slightly more cohesive format). The developers for Fight Knight and Devil Engine, the former which broke their contract with Dangen months ago, have been extremely vocal about their resentment of Dangen.

My hype for this went from 101 to zero when I heard that Dangen were involved. If this comes to retail I'll grab a second-hand copy or wait for a Steam sale.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

I’m glad you said it. I got the original version on Wii U as part of Nintendo's free game promotion and the gameplay just did not mesh with me one bit. I really appreciate the game for what it is, but I didn't like it. Won't be picking it up for Switch, although I'm glad it's getting a second chance here.

The gameplay systems are kinda super convoluted but feel like magic when it clicks. I also consider it a design failure of the game in that it doesn't really teach you how any of it's myriad moves, systems and weapons work or are meant to be used. It took me a whole playthrough for it to "click" and I play this subgenre religiously.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Remy said:

The gameplay systems are kinda super convoluted but feel like magic when it clicks. I also consider it a design failure of the game in that it doesn't really teach you how any of it's myriad moves, systems and weapons work or are meant to be used. It took me a whole playthrough for it to "click" and I play this subgenre religiously.

I played it enough to get a proper handle on the game. Several hours. But it just didn't do it did me. It was just not a game for me at all.

On 2/5/2020 at 1:18 AM, Blue Blood said:

I played it enough to get a proper handle on the game. Several hours. But it just didn't do it did me. It was just not a game for me at all.

It's cool. It's definitely niche.

I know it is indubitably, undoubtedly, unquestionably obnoxious to suggest that a game needs more than several hours for someone to fairly assess it, much in the way that that one friend assures you for months on end that One Piece gets really good around episode 300. (which it does, honestly!) but unless you beat it within those hours you really, honest to god didn't see everything (and in fact, barely saw anything) that the systems have to offer, or get a handle on it's true, nebulous, densely stuffed puff pastry with gooey filling action game form but fair enough. It definitely is a niche game. 

It feels like the most systems-y Kamiya game there is. the enemies are a relentless bombardment of endless, seductive, attractive locks and you the player are the groundskeeper from hell, armed with the world's most meticulously organized keychain, ready at the drop of a coin to shoot gatling keys into their PowerRanger flesh. It's like all Kamiya's variously gameplay gimmicks from his myriad games stuffed onto an 8 way weapon quick select where at any moment you can do anything you can imagine do smash your enemies into tiny mountains of currency. you can really beat ass in this game!  Honestly, if you like this genre at all, you owe it to yourself to give it another chance. If you don't like this genre- it's not for you. Much like my allergy to peanuts means peanut butter, which I presume is delicious and from it's gunky gooey texture appears to have a heavenly mouthfeel, is not for me.

When I play it, I feel like I can see why people like DMC4/5 Dante so much. Except this game has a control scheme designed for humans and not Stylish Action Game playing androids.

I actually think it'll do better on systems that aren't the wii u because people will be playing it with the superior right stick drawing instead of the clunky ass gamepad drawing. 

• Thumbs Up 2

38 minutes ago, Remy said:

It's like all Kamiya's variously gameplay gimmicks from his myriad games stuffed onto an 8 way weapon quick select where at any moment you can do anything you can imagine do smash your enemies into tiny mountains of currency. you can really beat ass in this game! 

It's been years since I played this game, and I don't think I ever quite finished it, but the those combos look fucking insane. Holy shit, dude. I had no idea stuff like that was possible.

I really like games like this and a lot of Kamiya's other games but at the same time I find they never quite "click" for me (Okami might be an exception, and while I don't know quite how to articulate it, it's a very different game compared to his other action titles, which themselves are also all very different from each other). They're very weird games to peg down for me for some reason, but watching them is honestly super fun.

This game didn't click with me when I first played it but now that I've played almost the entire spectrum of action games from 2010 to now along with Kamiya's entire backlog I'm ready to give it another go. Going with the PS4 version to minimize waggle and touch shenanagins, so I'm hoping the port is good.

I also played it only knowing like 10% of the systems on my first playthrough (but still liked it!), but when I saw the REAL shit? Wooo boy  it makes me excited to finally get this ported (went back to it on Wii U to really get more out of it like 3 years ago  but still only scratched the surface..)