Awoo.

[Wii U] The Wonderful 101

Senator NinjaShark

Yeah I think I prolly should have picked Easy mode, (I mean it is the default option, I feel silly for not trusting the developers' recommendation, so to speak).

I also very much get the impression that this is NOT the first level.  During the first 10 minutes I was getting constantly annoyed at the ever-changing tutorial messages popping up on the left and getting knocked around by enemies as I struggled to decipher them.  Didn't figure out the difference between summoning extra attacks and changing my character using the formation stuff until about halfway through the stage.

The main times that I lost track of my character is after getting knocked around by an enemy.  If everyone is stunned you don't have your massive weapon out to act as a beacon, and if you've been knocked behind scenery you cannot see the "LEADER" circle around yourself on the ground.

Edited by JezMM

Just to note, if anyone wants some extra advice and how-to's there's an incredibly thorough Let's Play of the demo over here.

ChipCheezum does awesome stuff. It's a really helpful video, in fact I'm learning some things from it I had no idea you could do.

• Thumbs Up 5

That is a pretty cool feature, recruiting enemies seems like a way to get forces.

In the demo there are also 3 permanent members hidden away to recruit, which I'm sure will be an important thing to look out for in the full game.

Wait, three? I only found two everytime I played through it, where's the third one? o:

Wonder Painter is under a car next to the first Wonder Toilet.

Wonder Beer is under the giant truck you have to clear (I think it's right before the door puzzle).  Make sure you lift the truck up instead of smashing it; smashing it kills him I think.

Wonder Kungfu is with the civilians trapped by the fire right before the last fight in the demo.

Edited by Pinkie Pie
  • Thumbs Up 1

I found all 3 of them in my 2nd-3rd playthrough, and I think that the reward for doing so it getting access to the Wonderful Stinger for Unite Hand.

I just finished playing through the demo for a second time. Now that I have a bloody idea what the hell I'm doing... I still don't like it all that much. It's good but sooooo not my cup of tea.

Edited by Blue Blood

I think I better play my fill of the demo before returning to the Wii U plaza. I've been playing this demo so much every day since last week and I can only turn it on 10 more times.

I've said many times that this was my most hyped Wii U game every since it was P-100. And I'm glad that I'm enjoying it as much as I expected to just from demo. I'll admit that I didn't have much clue on what to do when at the start. So a moment, I just stood in one area and started screwing around. After a good minute or two, I was ready to go using moves whenever I needed them. The only time the enemies even touched me was when they made attacks I wasn't familiar with. After that, I was kicking butt pretty good. My Second go-around was just a happy ass-kicking spree with

I'll admit, changing through the Unite Morphs took me a bit more time to work with that anything else. The Unite Ladder really gave me some problems, as it would usually give me the sword. So I just decided to use the right stick for it and it worked much better. Everything else, I used more via touch screen.

Short and sweet, it's like most of Kamiya's Capcom masterpieces mixed with Pikmin and I'm loving it. The artstyle, gameplay and idea are all as wonderful as the name makes this game out to be. And man, the music screams "heroic"!

I can listen to this all day.

September 15th can't come soon enough... That is the release date for NA, right? Was reeeeeeeeeeeally hard to tell from the direct. :U

Edited by Wonder YoshiUnity
  • Thumbs Up 3

I wonder if the wii u's at gamestop have this as a demo, I really want to play it.

Downloaded the demo and played through it a couple of times now.

Impressions from my first playthrough - it seemed enjoyable enough, the graphics looked good, the action was perhaps a little bit too chaotic, and the controls definitely needed some getting used to

Impressions from my second playthrough - HOLY SHIT THIS GAME IS AWESOME EAT MY UNITE SWORD YOU ALIEN BASTARDS

• Thumbs Up 5

I've played this demo about 10 times now, and I feel inclined to play it some more again...BUT the game is coming out in the UK within 10 days so, hooray not long now :D

So it turns out you can actually obtain Wonder Pink and Wonder Yellow in the demo's mission mode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eIGHLt2Gp8

Platinum, you sneaky geniuses!

EDIT: Also, don't know if this has already been mentioned in the topic, but...

Roger Craig Smith is voicing The SuperSonic Blade himself... Wonder Blue!

I thought it was him from the trailer, and it's good to see it actually confirmed! Wonder Blue is shaping up to be one of my favourite characters and I love the Unite Sword ability. Plus, "The Supersonic Blade"... Wonder Blue... it's all too coincidental, surely? laugh.png

Tara Strong - aka the voice of Dil Pickles from the Rugrats and many, many other things (including... *sigh*... My Little Pony) - is also voicing Wonder Pink. Looks like Nintendo and Platinum are really getting some high profile voice actors in for this one! I am excite.

• Thumbs Up 6

Apologies for the double post, but... new ("launch"?) trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hShtdHNXXzM

This game looks better every time I see it.

Apologies for the double post, but... new ("launch"?) trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hShtdHNXXzM

This game looks better every time I see it.

The wait is almost over, just 9 days left!

I tried out Wonder Pink in mission mode last night and she kicks all kinds of ass. The Unite Whip is a really cool and really useful form of attack, definitely up there with the Unite Sword as one of my favourites so far.

Oh, and after seeing this, Wonder Pink is very certainly becoming one of my favourite characters too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4D1fEa8p2k

So much awesome.

• Thumbs Up 1

Turns out it's not gibberish either. Heh.

I think she's talking about Joe from...well, Viewtiful Joe. "Something about the last movie in a Red Hot trilogy". Yep, definitely Viewtiful Joe.

Edited by KrazyBean

Turns out it's not gibberish either. Heh.

Oh wow! Now that's attention to detail! I have no choice but to give Platinum my money now, they've clearly put enough effort in to deserve it.

Also, Wonder Pink confirmed for god tier.

New blog post! http://platinumgames.com/2013/08/16/w101-blog-ep-16-mysterious-characters/

Prince Vorkken is voiced by Sho Sudo (JP) and Quinton Flynn(Raiden in Metql Gear Axel in Kingdom Hearts) (ENG)

Chewgi is voiced by Kiyoyuki Yanada in JP and Fred Tatasciore (the Hulk) in ENG.

Imorta is voiced by Miho Shinada (JP) & Stephanie Lemelin (Artemis in Young Justice)(ENG)

Tomorrow's blog will be about Wonder Yellow.

Edited by Falco

The Wonderful 101 reviews are here!

Gamespot (video review has some potential spoilers)

http://uk.gamespot.com/the-wonderful-101/reviews/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC8V7Zzep6g

IGN

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/08/18/the-wonderful-101-review

The main problems she had were the sometimes "unresponsive" controls and the super high learning curve.

Edited by KrazyBean