Awoo.

[Wii U] The Wonderful 101

Senator NinjaShark

Just Finished it, Spoiler for impressions and SEVERE spoilers.

I'm not sure how to put my thoughts and feelings into words, but...Wow that was fucking incredible, this is one fucking cool and engrossing game, the characters are amazing, each of their personalities match their design perfectly and the writing... The writing is just incredible from the story to the banter between the team mates, and even W101 vs Prince Vorkken it all is so cliche and typical saturday morning Power Ranger shit mixed in with an over the top Japanese anime storyline, the bad guys are really over the top too and that's what makes it awesome, you remember how the power rangers fought the enemy in a much smaller form then they kick it's ass, but then he get's turned into sky scraper sized monster? Yeah, that's nothing compared to scale of the bosses you fight in this game, from land, sea, air and even fucking space! It crams so much HOLY SHIT ACTION into every possible creak and that's why it's so over the top, bat shit insane fun.

Funny that someone mentioned Gurren Lagann in the thread earlier, heh there's DRILLS THAT PIERCE THE HEAVENS A PLENTY, I'm not kidding, even one of the Wonders you control in a flash back has the power of Unite Drill, as well as a whole section dedicated to drilling through rock as you're being chased by flowing lava, and did I mention that the enemy and character designs in this game are simply incredible? No seriously this blows Bayonetta out of the water, and don't worry, Platinum get a chance to get their own back on how shitty Nintendo has been with them, know why? Platinum HQ turns into a giant ass mech that you use to beat the final 2 bosses, and Centinal super secret reactor control room is basically a Giant P* Logo, I shit you not.

But seriously this game wowed me so severely I can't help but gush about it, everything was an incredible ride from start to finish, and the attention to detail is mind blowing, fuck people who say the Wii U has got nothing on Sony or Microsoft, tell them to play this game and watch as they try to close their gawking jaws.

I hope Platinum make this one of their new IP's because, fuck I don't think any game this year will come close to the sheer magnitude of this game as a whole, hell it's just a game sure, but man did it leave a big fucking grin on my face and feeling like a hero, and I've played nothing like this, nothing at all, god fucking damn Platinum I am your bitch forever.

If you own a Wii U, you NEED to add this game to your library, it is an essential buy I shit you not, please, Please support this wonderful game!

Wow, that was...quick. I guessing that the game is pretty short then.

Man, after playing some more of this wonderful game I have to say this this is probably my most favorite action game of all time, I'm DEAD serious. This game is bloody fantastic. The game's OTTness (yep, new word over here) starts at 11 and just gets higher and higher and they just keep on throwing new mechanics at you as you progress. Man...this game, THIS GAEM!!! It's hard as hell but it's really satisfying. smile.png

Edited by KrazyBean

Greetings friends, I started playing the game last night after a busy Thursday, and I'm having some troubles so I thought I'd ask here! I woulda practised one the demo but.. Tales of Xillia took all my attention for those weeks.

Soooo can someone explain to me exactly how Unite Build works? Because during the end boss of 001 it just wouldn't cooperate with me at all for the eye or the arrow, I filled it with my Wonderfuls and then nothing.. same happened to both. I tried using both R-stick and touch screen and in the end only an awkward combination of both seemed to do the trick. Is there something I'm missing?

I'd also like to know if there's a way you can zoom out the touch screen radar thingy to make drawing swords and chains easier, like the touch screen just isn't big enough to draw the bigger Unite Sword or Unite Chain. Do I just need to rely entirely on R-stick for those things?

Thankya kindly! Hope everyone is enjoying the game, it's awesome. I'm doing pretty badly but I think that's because my reactions are really dumb atm.

Well I did get it a day before release, and I played about 5 hours on Thursday, then about 3 hours after I cam back from work, and played it all day friday, my game shows about 14-15 hours for the main campaign but the game feels lengthy as fuck because when you think you've finished a mission, the game throws you a curve ball and proves you wrong by throwing something else at you, something OTT every mission the final few missions are pretty long for how they go on, I sometimes forget that the Wii U can handle so much shit on screen at one time, because in later levels you can have hundreds of things on screen at once.

It's by no means a short game, there's about 9 missions but those missions are split into several checkpoints, about 4 or so then the main boss/es.

Also I'm telling you now, this game is HARD, even on lower difficulties you need to spend your time learning the new abilities and take advantage of the custom blocks (something which I did not do until near end game, thinking they were only temporary power ups, but they aren't lmao) They can be pricey as hell, but can be a life saver, stuff like attaching a mine from where you evade using Unite Spring, or an upgrade that charges your Unite gauge faster (this is a god send on later levels when you battle much tougher enemies) so there is an absolute ton of combinations to figure out, as well as the Wonderful One's level up system, which grants you new combo abilities like upper-cutting and power slamming air born dazed GEATHJERK, and yeah you can also level up the secret wonderful's you find in the stage by exploring or doing certain tasks.

And that's just campaign, there is also a plethora of Missions to do that will really test your skills!

Greetings friends, I started playing the game last night after a busy Thursday, and I'm having some troubles so I thought I'd ask here! I woulda practised one the demo but.. Tales of Xillia took all my attention for those weeks.

Soooo can someone explain to me exactly how Unite Build works? Because during the end boss of 001 it just wouldn't cooperate with me at all for the eye or the arrow, I filled it with my Wonderfuls and then nothing.. same happened to both. I tried using both R-stick and touch screen and in the end only an awkward combination of both seemed to do the trick. Is there something I'm missing?

I'd also like to know if there's a way you can zoom out the touch screen radar thingy to make drawing swords and chains easier, like the touch screen just isn't big enough to draw the bigger Unite Sword or Unite Chain. Do I just need to rely entirely on R-stick for those things?

Thankya kindly! Hope everyone is enjoying the game, it's awesome. I'm doing pretty badly but I think that's because my reactions are really dumb atm.

Tap L to zoom out, if you hold it, it enters HOLD ON/OFF mode for Unite build, as for building the Justice Arrow it isn't very clear, just fill the arrow up by pointing at the goddess' bow and it should register it as a full arrow, then Red will initiate the attack.

It's also best to use just R stick for unite build and chains since it's the easiest way to draw a straight line long enough, it also lets you grab out of reach goodies if you just draw a line towards them, your team will automatically grab any treasure/o parts and profiles/GEATHJERK files themselves.

Edited by okinoS repuS
  • Thumbs Up 2

Hard to say really, if it's any consolation, Its my first time with this type of game and I'm thoroughly enjoying it, it leaves you with such a huge grin on your face, it honestly makes you feel like you're a super hero, the immersion and characters as well as the enemies genuinely pull you into their verse and make you feel like it's all up to you to save this virtual city from an alien invasion, you get so engrossed into the world that you get emotionally attached to everyone, you laugh when they crack jokes, you show genuine concern when something goes wrong, hell I got teary eyed at the Nintendo Direct trailer, you just want to win, you just want to fight even if there is a slither of hope, the game just drives you forward into saving the world from baddies, just like those days you spent watching Saturday morning cartoons.

Because it's platinum, the polish that has been put on this game makes it something truly special, seriously this is unlike any other game you've probably ever played.

I appreciate the input. I guess, seeing how this will be my first official game for the Wii U, I'll dish out the money day 1, this way I'll have something to play on my Wii U and I like Platinum games.

Just Finished it, Spoiler for impressions and SEVERE spoilers.

I'm not sure how to put my thoughts and feelings into words, but...Wow that was fucking incredible, this is one fucking cool and engrossing game, the characters are amazing, each of their personalities match their design perfectly and the writing... The writing is just incredible from the story to the banter between the team mates, and even W101 vs Prince Vorkken it all is so cliche and typical saturday morning Power Ranger shit mixed in with an over the top Japanese anime storyline, the bad guys are really over the top too and that's what makes it awesome, you remember how the power rangers fought the enemy in a much smaller form then they kick it's ass, but then he get's turned into sky scraper sized monster? Yeah, that's nothing compared to scale of the bosses you fight in this game, from land, sea, air and even fucking space! It crams so much HOLY SHIT ACTION into every possible creak and that's why it's so over the top, bat shit insane fun.

Funny that someone mentioned Gurren Lagann in the thread earlier, heh there's DRILLS THAT PIERCE THE HEAVENS A PLENTY, I'm not kidding, even one of the Wonders you control in a flash back has the power of Unite Drill, as well as a whole section dedicated to drilling through rock as you're being chased by flowing lava, and did I mention that the enemy and character designs in this game are simply incredible? No seriously this blows Bayonetta out of the water, and don't worry, Platinum get a chance to get their own back on how shitty Nintendo has been with them, know why? Platinum HQ turns into a giant ass mech that you use to beat the final 2 bosses, and Centinal super secret reactor control room is basically a Giant P* Logo, I shit you not.

But seriously this game wowed me so severely I can't help but gush about it, everything was an incredible ride from start to finish, and the attention to detail is mind blowing, fuck people who say the Wii U has got nothing on Sony or Microsoft, tell them to play this game and watch as they try to close their gawking jaws.

I hope Platinum make this one of their new IP's because, fuck I don't think any game this year will come close to the sheer magnitude of this game as a whole, hell it's just a game sure, but man did it leave a big fucking grin on my face and feeling like a hero, and I've played nothing like this, nothing at all, god fucking damn Platinum I am your bitch forever.

If you own a Wii U, you NEED to add this game to your library, it is an essential buy I shit you not, please, Please support this wonderful game!

I have some questions.

how many stages are there?

How long did it take you to complete it?

Who's the final boss?

And Who are Imorta, and Vorkken?

I have some questions.

how many stages are there?

How long did it take you to complete it?

Who's the final boss?

And Who are Imorta, and Vorkken?

• 9 stages but they're split up into several checkpoints, about 4 or 5, then the main boss.
  • about 15-16 hours for a bare bones run through.
  • The final boss is basically a giant brain in a fortress that control the GEATHJERK, you fight a reactor as the W101 to shut down the fortress, then you fight the Brain donning a Wonder Mask of evil (it all ties in with the story and why the GEATHJERK are invading in the first place) then you escape the fortress on your way back to earth thinking you've won then suddenly the fortress turns into a planet sized robot you have to fight as the Platinum Robo.
  • Imorta and Vorkken are brother and sister, Vorkken is basically being used to destroy the W101 so the GEATHJERK and take over Earth, Imorta is part of the Galaxy Federation Police who has pursued her Brother across the galaxy to stop him, but I won't say any more since it's all explained in the story.

For those who own the game - is there any way to keep track of the collectables? Like, in which levels you missed some?

Wow, that was complete and total fail. No stores near me have The Wonderful 101 in stock despite having display boxes on the shelves. I could try my nearest GAME, but it's a little while away and will probably overcharge, if they even have it. 

Don't really want to download it either, but if I order online I won't see it until Weds at the earliest due to the bank holiday, ugh. D: 

Has *anyone* actually managed to buy a retail copy in stores? Genuinely wondering if there's been a distribution fuckup.  Really wish I’d just played the demo a few days earlier and preordered it now.

GUYS YOU MIGHT WANNA READ THIS ALSO SPOILERED BUT TWO HIDDEN CHARACTERS HINTED

By now, pretty much every person who has ever laid eyes on a Nintendo console, been to their website, purchased a gaming magazine, etc, has heard of Platinum Games' newest game, The Wonderful 101. The game has a lot of marketing behind it, and it has promised so far to bring a heavy hitter to the Wii U in an attempt to bolster sales and show what the console can do. The game was released yesterday in Europe, today in Japan and Australia, and will be released on September 15th in North America, and the reviews have been coming in as generally favorable, even though Kamiya, the game's director, feels that the game is being plagued by people not getting used to the controls before making an opinion.

Kamiya has been outspoken during the process of development for the game, spouting out his loves, his fears, and praising the Wii U. Apparently Kamiya is a character in the workplace as well, with the creative staff showing him some love in a unique way. The team put a hidden character in The Wonderful 101 that is based off of Kamiya: Wonder-Director. This was revealed in a recent Iwata Asks between Iwata, President of Nintendo, and The Wonderful 101 development team, consisting of  Hitoshi Yamagami (software planning and development), Shingo Matsushita (software planning and development), Atsuni Inaba (producer), and Hideki Kamiya (director) himself. See what was said about Wonder-Director below.

Along with this tribute to the beloved director of the game, another hidden character was discussed, among other things, during the Iwata Asks session. This character is from a "collaboration" with another mysterious game, which is only mentioned in the Iwata Asks as "that game." This character has been re-designed to fit into the world of The Wonderful 101, and fans will supposedly get a kick out of him/her.

This all seems really interesting, and it definitely adds a little extra excitement to the game. Both of these characters sound like a lot of work was put into them, which is good to see considering that they are only extras.

What do you think? Already playing this game? Or are you waiting for its release in your area? Or do you simply not want to play it?

I WANNA KNOW WHO IT IS

A collaborative character? Could it possibly be Jack Cayman with a Unite Chain saw? or hell, could be Bayonetta with Unite Gun (one of Wonder Greens' many Gun wonders) I love how sneaky P* are being with this game but hate it at the same time, because I'm scared I'll never find these characters lmao xD

I think it's Bayonetta, most of her hair attacks could work as unite forms anyway. tongue.png

Kamiya: Just like the original, the character will fight with guns, and that other trademark item has been changed into a mask as well. The character will also have its own Unite Morph.

Her mask could be made of hair too. (which... Sounds kinda funny now that I think about it)

Edited by gato

My never-gonna-happen-in-a-million-years guess is that it's Cereza to match the game's baby Luka.

(god dammit just 20 more days)

I've been borrowing this, played a few missions (just saved the statue).

Overall it's good but there are lots of little niggly things that keep ticking me off about it now and then.  There was this shooting section where whenever you get hit, as usual, your group flies everywhere and is dazed… but you can’t control the ship to retaliate without people to form your hand to use the steering wheel, so basically you get hit once, you just continue to get hit again and again with no way to defend until dead.

It’s infinite lives but still, annoying.  And I still frequently lose myself on-screen when a large enemy is between me and the camera.  This game should have really had Mario Sunshine-esque ghosting for the leader.

I also sympathise with SuperLink, I don't get the trick to Unite Build at all.  In particular on the same stage mentioned, where you all fill into the dragon's eye thing, I had to redo it like three times because they would all go in and just sit there, nothing happening.

I've been borrowing this, played a few missions (just saved the statue).

Overall it's good but there are lots of little niggly things that keep ticking me off about it now and then.  There was this shooting section where whenever you get hit, as usual, your group flies everywhere and is dazed… but you can’t control the ship to retaliate without people to form your hand to use the steering wheel, so basically you get hit once, you just continue to get hit again and again with no way to defend until dead

Never had a problem with that. Quickly running over them should give you enough members make at least a small circle.  o:

No I get what Jez is saying about losing your unite morph and having to quickly pick your team mates up to regain control, those parts suck because other times you just control the Virgin Victory like a Side scroll shooter, I can also vouch for the unite builds not working all the time unless you get it exactly right, it's very hit and miss in places for sure, which for some people can dampen the experience as well as effect your rank for that section.

I honest to god hate being caught off guard by enemies in the game that are either hard to avoid due to little notice of an incoming attack and not enough time to react, or not having enough battery power to unite spring dodge, especially those fucking turtle enemies with the bite/long neck attack, honestly those piss me off so much.

I will say that getting into a groove of figuring out which attacks to jelly-ify yourself for and which attacks to snakey dodge and performing said manoeuvres consistently is a really satisfying part of combat.

No I get what Jez is saying about losing your unite morph and having to quickly pick your team mates up to regain control, those parts suck because other times you just control the Virgin Victory like a Side scroll shooter, I can also vouch for the unite builds not working all the time unless you get it exactly right, it's very hit and miss in places for sure, which for some people can dampen the experience as well as effect your rank for that section.

I had this problems occasionally too (the "eye section" gave me a bit trouble as well), I just wanted to say that I never had problems on the ship shooting sections with the steering weel because the ship is so small that I could pick up all my teammates in no time.

Edited by Thigolf

Wait wait wait.

You guys keep saying pick-up teammates.  You mean collecting them will wake them up from being dazed faster?  I've just been running around dodging attacks until they're all up again!

Wait wait wait.

You guys keep saying pick-up teammates.  You mean collecting them will wake them up from being dazed faster?  I've just been running around dodging attacks until they're all up again!

When a team member is dazed you can run over them to bring them back instantly. That's the only real moment when micromanagement becomes crucial in battle and has the combat continue flowing. It was one of the reasons why the Virgin Victory segment wasn't really a big bother to me, like, the one and only time I got hit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait wait wait.

Yeah you can run over a dazed teammate to wake them instantly. You can also draw a circle around them to wake them up.

The Wonderful 101 misses the Top 20 UK All-Formats charts.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/08/the_wonderful_101_misses_the_top_20_in_uk_all_format_charts

I expected as much. There's no advertisement for this game anyway (apart from the TW101 Direct but chances are, only gamers will watch that and not the average joe), plus when people see it they might be put off because they have no idea what's going on. This game is too...unique for people, and people like familiarity.

Edited by KrazyBean

Unfortunately it's probably going to be trounced sales wise when Rayman Legends is released this week, I still stand by my original notion of W101 being, hands down, one of the best games I've played, ever. Or at least in a very long time, it was just pure adrenaline and action all the way through with a story that made my inner Saturday morning children's show and love for anime scream in delight.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ahh okay, so the best idea is to gather up as many as possible on foot then use them to draw a line through more.  That'll help a lot on the enemies I haven't quite figured out how to take down quickly yet.

So I was playing the demo, and for some reason, my unite morph turned into a hang-glider. Any idea why that happened?

I couldn't figure out what it was for, and the only thing it seemed to do was stop me doing other unite morphs...