Awoo.

Big the Cat is officially retired

jeremycarrier

I think I've said this already, but didn't Iizuka apologise for making Big at SoS'11? I think Big was only targeted because they felt that he wasn't adaptable to gameplay that easily, possibly because of his unique shape and slow speed.

I like him, but it's not like there hasn't been foreshadowing to this.

Now the question remains, who else got the chop? I wouldn't be surprised if Marine is gone, although I suspect she went a long time ago.

Why are we looking for more characters exactly?

Right after he plugged Big's bowing out from the franchise, he quantified it with "for the foreseeable future" and "using the right characters for the right game(s)". Seriously, if the devs are re-committing themselves to utilizing the characters in a responsible manner, then no one else would even need to be put up on a chopping-block. They would just sit in limbo waiting on a suitable story appearance.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Heroes says hi

Whoops! My fault :P. It´s time to chase a lot of Big related merchandise to sell at gold price in the near future (Everyone says Rouge´s the Bat case?)

Guess everything is fine with Big comic-wise:

1216260_ful.jpg

Hello there buddy, nice to see you in an upcoming cover!

Even though he wasn't positively received and never really had a huge following compared to other Sonic characters, to put it mildly, I never thought they'd actually do something like announcing his retirement. Well, maybe not officially from someone like Iizuka, but enough for Ken to speak out on it and his sparse track record from Heroes-to Colors/Generations (especially)/4!-

...Is it too late to make a 'dying cats' joke?

Edited by Treacher

...Is it too late to make a 'dying cats' joke?

Why not? After all, since Big missed opportunities from having a role or cameo in Shadow, 06, Unleashed, Colors, Generations, Free Riders, The Mario and Sonic Franchise, Black Knight, or the Upcoming All stars racing Transformerd I guess you can say big has no more of his "9 lives" left!

*ba dum tsh*

Oh god I'm terrible at making jokes. Kill me.

Right, time to chime in with what I should have bothered to post back when this topic first started; Personally, I find this more than a bit sketchy and pointless.

Why the hell would Sega officially 'retire' a character? Even if they know with a good amount of certainty that they'll never be playable ever again, there's not need to outright say "Yeah, we're ditching them". Just leave them in obscurity. Even if he is as good as retired, officially stating it changes nothing.

And on that, I'm still skeptical; As others have said, as far as I'm aware, SoJ haven't said anything on the matter.

Like I said, it just feels pointless and unnecessary, and changes very little whether he is or not.

I doubt there would ever be a big and grandiose announcement if they retired an unpopular character for good. That's tantamount to admitting failure, and more to the point, it reminds everyone, or rather particularly the casual audience who never remembered anyway, of an unpopular character. There could only be a negative response, as the likely responses are basically "I remember X, X sucked, what a disaster" or "but I actually liked X!" That and I suspect internally they'd be unwilling to close any doors on themselves for the future. So if there has been a decision not to use Big, I think it's more of an unofficial consensus that there's nothing coming up in the near future that he would be appropriate for.

I wish Sega would do like a giant poll on which characters they liked or didn't like. Not so they could retire characters but so they could see which characters seem to have the best chemistry with the audience and work with them.

How do you guys rate Sega as far as charisma is concerned?

Edited by Dejablue

They did, but they weren't planning to do anything with the results (especially as Mighty came 10th on one of the questions).

I doubt there would ever be a big and grandiose announcement if they retired an unpopular character for good.

Do the SoJ higher-ups even know that this fuss is happening? I mean, they presumably didn't oversee the interview content and don't know that people are talking about a comment in it.

Do the SoJ higher-ups even know that this fuss is happening? I mean, they presumably didn't oversee the interview content and don't know that people are talking about a comment in it.

Edited by goku262002

Oh poor Big, why did it have to be you? Why couldn't it have been Silver or Blaze... *waits for rage comments* mellow.png

Does SoJ have a SEGA Message boards/Forums/BBS over there? or is the SoA/E one the only official SEGA related forums?

As far as I know, the Sega West forum is the only ones that is official.

I read the title as "Officially Retarded".

• Thumbs Up 5

I read the title as "Officially Retarded".

Edited by Dark Energon Johnny

• 3 weeks later...

Alas, poor fatty! I knew him, a character of excellent cheer and whimsy.

So yeah thanks for bumping this. Lets talk about what Iizuka said at SOS '12. I really think this was all a ploy by Ken to see how Big (Hurrrrrrrr see wat I did their) the support was for the purple fuzzball, but Iizuka did word it in a way that made us think that they were seriously considering getting rid of him if not now then soon. so its sort of a half question answered thing.

And I don't hate Ken, hes a cool PR guy but I just distrust anything he says theres a difference, Just wanted to make that clear.

A lot of people hated Big, right?

Or at least his fishing! XD

Poor guy - here was me thinking that obese people were welcome in the Sonic Universe.... :B

• 4 weeks later...

Poor guy - here was me thinking that obese people were welcome in the Sonic Universe.... :B

Eggman, Eggman Nega (and Omega & Storm if you want to count them) all say hi.