Awoo.

Big the Cat is officially retired

jeremycarrier

I'm actually skeptical about this, but if it's true, it's kind of surprising for one reason: Big's barely appeared in the past ten years, anyway.

I mean, how many of his appearances can you name, outside of spin-offs? The Adventures (cameos in the second one mind you) and Heroes are all that come to mind immediately. (He also appeared in Colours DS, which probably isn't canon but still counts as an appearance.) Other than that? Very small cameos in a few spin-offs here and there.

So...why would they "retire" a character that's barely had a presence the past few years? Seems pointless to me, even if it's meant to appease those who hate him...which they were already trying to do by not having him have any major appearances since Heroes. I highly doubt that many people were complaining...oh wait it's the internet. Oh dear.

Still, unless a more trustworthy source says anything about this, I'm not going to worry too much. After all, if they scrap one character, more might be on the way, and I actually like the majority of the cast.

...In any case, this gives me an excuse to use a Big avatar! Yay!

Edited by ElementofChaos7

Big has never really done much useful so it isn't really a loss, but it seems odd to single him out and say they're not going to use him anymore.

I like Big, but he's been retired since Heroes, even then he wasn't really working.

But is anyone really surprised though? The last major game Big was in was a racing a spin off and before that he just made cameos, hell if any character got the boot I'm not surprised it was him because when you get down to it, he didn't really add much to the series and his following is more cult than anything substantial about the character.

This at least proves that Sonic Team are willing to trim down the cast if need be.

If that is the case then why not kill off Cream and Rouge? Both only make cameos, show up in spin offs and I don't think anyone really like either of them. (well except Rouge's boobs). I honestly thought those 2 were on the top for most hated Sonic characters. I guess the only reason Cream stays around is because she has Cheese the Chao.

IF....and I mean IF this news is true, then that really sucks for the new VA that was suppose to do his english voice. He only got to do 1 maybe two games (since Big was cut from Generations) and he basically lost extra money.

Huh? This was just posted today? I've KNOW I heard about this weeks before now, I'm surprised no one else has. But I can't think where else I would have heard about it if not here. So...where the fuck?

On topic, can't say I care. I didn't loathe Big, but I'm not sad to see him go either.

Yeah cuz scrapping characters is the way to go SEGA rolleyes.gif instead of say making good games instead of Sonic 4?

Big isn't a bad character and frankly people who bitch about Big's fishing quests "not being Sonic-like gameplay" just annoy me.

Not everything has to be Sonic gameplay especially in a game that had different playstyles, and sure Big was dopey and sounded dopey but that was part of his character.

SEGA really piss me off when they scrap characters thinking that it will appease those stupid people that talk about "Sonic's shitty friends". It's become more evident recently in the fact that we only have been able to play as Sonic since shitty Unleashed then Colours and Sonic Generations.

Edited by The-Master-Board
  • Thumbs Up 1

Never liked this guy but still. You don't have to fire him out of everything. He could be NPC character ala Chip/Professor Pickle for humour purposes.

Thats another thing, Why just Big? If SEGA was going to be retiring characters, they do it all at once not start slowly chopping off characters off the active roster, Theres plently of not liked and TBD Limbo characters that would be chopped off along with Big.

Besides, I don't think they have the time to just sit there and tease there fans by going "You like this character? MUHAHAHA TOO BAD HE/SHE IS GONE!! Whos Next?!". If SEGA would do such a thing as retire characters, it would be all the ones they select at once.

It's possible this has been a long time coming and isn't completely indicative of whatever their new direction is to be, especially when you remember Big hasn't actually been used in a Sonic Team-developed game since Heroes.

I never thought Sega would actually start getting rid of characters. As others have said, if they can get rid of Big, there is probably nothing that stops them from eventuelly getting rid of other minor characters.

They better not fucking do this to Team Chaotix, i swear to god.

SEGA and Sonic Team seem to be all about extremes. I don't recall them ever doing anything that wasn't extreme, minus the overly safe nature of their most recent Sonic Games.

Listening to the "confirmation," it doesn't really sound like Ken is talking about Big being retired from ALL games. I'm pretty sure that he's only talking about playable and game essential appearances in the main Sonic series. I'm sure that he'll still have his small cameos in party and spin-off games. (Besides, if Big was supposedly cut from Free Riders and Generations because of this, why would he still be allowed to cameo in Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, a title that had two versions that he appeared in that were released last year and this year? Plus, I really don't see why they would just single him out of the series altogether like that. It just doesn't add up to me.)

Edited by chaoscontrol14

If that is the case then why not kill off Cream and Rouge? Both only make cameos, show up in spin offs and I don't think anyone really like either of them. (well except Rouge's boobs). I honestly thought those 2 were on the top for most hated Sonic characters. I guess the only reason Cream stays around is because she has Cheese the Chao.

IF....and I mean IF this news is true, then that really sucks for the new VA that was suppose to do his english voice. He only got to do 1 maybe two games (since Big was cut from Generations) and he basically lost extra money.

Because both Rouge and Cream showed up in both Free Riders and Generations, and in the former they had a pretty big role.

Rouge in particular still has a few major roles even if she is regularly overshadowed by Shadow(shut up), and Cream is probably still popular with the Japanese fanbase.

Big has not had a major role in anything for almost ten years, spin off or otherwise; you can say Chronicles and ASR, but those weren't even made by Sonic Team.

Rouge in particular still has a few major roles even if she is regularly overshadowed by Shadow(shut up),

See, I would have overlooked that if you did not say anything. tongue.png

As for cream & cheese, I guess that works out. But still don't know why (if this is true) they would single out BIG. He has many fans, waaaaaaaaaaay bigger than the Silver fanbase. Because we all know Silver is almost universally hated by fans and fanboys/fangirls alike.

So, Big has joined the ranks of Mighty, Ray, and Bean. Good. Never liked that much anyway.

I don't even like Big in the games (he's awesome in the comics) and this is just disappointing to me.

I mean sure, the guy didn't have any major roles, but couldn't they have just used him in NPC roles instead of scrapping him? I doubt this will happen to other characters who've appeared in recent games, but this kinda puts a bad taste in my mouth despite me not caring for the character.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 3

I always thought Big was a useless character (just as Cream) but I liked the guy even though he seemed like he was retarded... He was a kind carefree character and his theme song from Adventure was one of the best character songs ever. ..and I like fishing in Adventure. That's very relaxing and Big shall definitely be remembered.

BAD SEGA, BAD!

I mean, if he will get cameos in future main games without being playable (but he should be playable from time to time in spin-offs), I'm OK with that, but if they are going to get rid of the character, I'll be very disappointed.

SEGA hasn't retired a character in eons. Mighty, Ray, Fang were all before the 1998 reboot besides I think its because SEGA doesn't have the rights to use them anymore game-wise. I remember that I heard something that the creator of those characters ran off before Adventure was made and took the rights with him. was that ever confirmed true?

It was confirmed fake in an interview. Can't give you the source, it was like 7 years ago... But it's just a fake rumor. Sega still owns them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Huh? This was just posted today? I've KNOW I heard about this weeks before now, I'm surprised no one else has. But I can't think where else I would have heard about it if not here. So...where the fuck?

On topic, can't say I care. I didn't loathe Big, but I'm not sad to see him go either.

You read an Aprils Fools post on TSS.

I don't know what I can add to this discussion but my extreme disappointment. Big is just one of my favourite characters, and I honestly see no good reason to scrap him. So he wasn't that popular, big deal. That's no reason for him not to appear as an NPC, in cameos or in party titles. Heck, that's generally what he does anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't really believe this. First of all, I don't trust Balough on things anymore. He's proven often enough to not know what he's talking about. Second of all, I can't imagine Iizuka just saying he's retiring a character.

If it is true, fuck off SEGA. Seriously.

Rouge in particular still has a few major roles

In particular the two that fill out her brazierre.

Seriously though, that's a big part of the reason she remains popular, even when she's given little to do. Which is a shame since I like her as a character and a bit more prominence without Shadow would be good.

Also, I hope this isn't true because I like Big. I guess I kinda relate to the big lug; closest thing we've got to Sonic char with LD's

Edited by Gerkuman
  • Thumbs Up 1

Really hope he hasn't been officially retired. They should just keep him on the backburner to use as and when they need extra characters or NPCs, depending on the NPC they need.

If he is gone for good though, I'll just be sad that his swansong was nothing more than an unlockable figure on Generations 3DS. =C They should have made him a main savable friend and lumped the Chaotix all into one stage (Omega could have been the new 9th character).