Awoo.

Big the Cat is officially retired

jeremycarrier

Big has been scrapped? Oh, what a happy day to be a Sonic fan!

I had to play through five mind-numbingly dull fishing stages to get the Super Sonic storyline in Sonic Adventure. I'll never forgive, but I really wish I could forget.

Big was the number one character on my Sonic hitlist. Next up, Cream the Rabbit.

Edited by UltDevilDoom

I've always liked Big, something about him is just awesome. I also find him hilarious, Big the Cat, you will be missed. =(

Maybe I've got my wires crossed, but didn't Iizuka apologise for creating Big at last year's SoS? If I've got that right, it doesn't really make his retirement such a shock in hindsight.

Meh, not much of a concern for me. I still get to see scrapped/non-common characters in the comic anyway, so no skin off my nose.

Guys. Chill out. All Ken basically said was "Big isn't really being used anymore". He never said: "No more Big. EVER. EVER AGIAN! MU HA HA HA!" which is the way everyone seems to be interpetted. He may or may not return, he just needs the right storyline. Which... er probably won't happen.

He's basically been on hold since 2003. I'd like to see more cameos, more joke apperences. Big is a fun guy, you just need to play him right.

Personally, I think he'd be a better fit for the sports events than someone like Vector. Don't get me wrong, I like vector, but he just seems out of place without the rest of the chaotix. His appearance in Freeriders just seemed like a shoe in.

Besides, if we're going down that route, almost everyone except Sonic and Eggman hasn't really played an active role. Ever since Unleashed, EVERYONE has been excluded, only really making a appearences in Generations. And Free riders, which I don't think we'll be seeing a sequel too. I think the riders series is OVER, now we have All-stars racing to take it's place.

So I wouldn't hold your breath. I hope Big'll be back someday... If not, It's not such a loss. At least he wasn't overused to death like Shadow was...

• Thumbs Up 4

We'll never forget him, though he may have forgotten us a long time ago. Big was a kind cat, a force to be reckoned with when his friends needed help. I know I speak for Froggy when I say 'Ribbit'. Big loved to fish. He lived by it. Now we send his remains into the emerald coast where he can be with the fish he loved.

"Plays 'Lazy days (Living in Paradise)'on bagpipes as he is left to the sea."

Never again will we be "Super Duper Happy "

• Thumbs Up 2

I always liked Big. All he wanted to do was chill out and fish while helping his friend. What is so wrong about that? He had an unique personality. And he can crotch grind, people. He grinds rails with his crotch while yelling, "Aw yeah." C'mon.

Well he is Kamina and Duke Nukem, of course he has balls pure steel.

Wait, so one guy who works at SOA brings up the blatantly obvious fact that "Big isn't being used anymore", and all of a sudden that means that SOJ will never, ever put him in a game again? Talk about jumping to conclusions. The cat was one of the first non-main cast characters to get his own Jazwares figure, even before Cream and Rouge, and he's appeared in recent posters and other merchandise, not to mention a spot in the first ASR. He's not a main character by any means, but I don't think he'll be going anywhere.

Edited by SonikkuForever
  • Thumbs Up 2

Guys. Chill out. All Ken basically said was "Big isn't really being used anymore". He never said: "No more Big. EVER. EVER AGIAN! MU HA HA HA!" which is the way everyone seems to be interpetted. He may or may not return, he just needs the right storyline. Which... er probably won't happen.

This.

I feel like you guys are over-reacting a bit with the "gone forever" vibe. I'm not even a fan of Big (those of ya'll with good memories will recall that my response to his inclusion into the first ASR involved me shotgunning a 40...) but seriously all I came away from this was that there are no current plans to use Big as the series moves forward. In retrospect, the dev's could have said the same thing any time post-Heroes came out and been right on the money. After SA1 and Heroes, Big has been used sparingly in niche roles that fit him. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Thumbs Up 4

I suppose the hardest part about Big is what type of role he can play in the Sonic Series. His starting role was a huge bust and plainly a jarring experience compared to other fast-paced action-based roles from the other characters, then he was reduced to fanservice in Heroes being a generic "Power" type.

It's less of the fact that he won't be used, and more of the fact they have no idea how to use him.

Besides making some small cameo appearances, he has been dead since 2003. I hope he stays that way.

Honestly, who actually wants to sit through fishing 2.0?

giving_a_damn.gif

Uh...yeah. Big really doesn't give anything of noteworthiness to the franchise in both character and actions. And I find him to be the most overrated character this side of Mighty. Um, no he can't fly a plane without crashing it. And I don't find his devotion to a non-sapient frog more admirable than Sonic's salvation of millions.

So from me personally? Good riddance I guess.

How are we ever going to learn about Big the Cat's backstory now? sad.png

This is upsetting news.

On the other hand, I have to be honest. I don't really care about Big the Cat. Nor did I like playing as him in Adventure. Forget fishing. He was too slow to move around in the game. That's what annoys me the most.

If Big only had 1 game to redeem himself in to why he should be a great character to the series...

giving_a_damn.gif

Uh...yeah. Big really doesn't give anything of noteworthiness to the franchise in both character and actions. And I find him to be the most overrated character this side of Mighty. Um, no he can't fly a plane without crashing it. And I don't find his devotion to a non-sapient frog more admirable than Sonic's salvation of millions.

So from me personally? Good riddance I guess.

Besides making some small cameo appearances, he has been dead since 2003. I hope he stays that way.

Honestly, who actually wants to sit through fishing 2.0?

This is the kind of thinking that gets Knuckles shafted.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic-fixation and an apparent phobia of using characters other than Sonic, Tails and Eggman lately is what's getting Knuckles shafted.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is the kind of thinking that gets Knuckles shafted.

Thing is, no one wants Knuckles shafted, whereas tons want Big shafted.

No chance.

How are we ever going to learn about Big the Cat's backstory now? sad.png

The Ballad of Big the Cat (sung to The Ballad of Davy Crockett)

Born in a litterbox in Station Square, got kicked out before he grew his hair.

In Mystic Ruins he loved the fresh air, met a little tadpole and decided to stay there.

BIG, BIG THE CAT. Cat of the wild frontier!

Fished single handed through the Chaos attack, afterwards he took a long nap.

A short while later he made his comeback, with Team Rose joining his wolf pack.

BIG, BIG THE CAT. Froggy, don't disappear!

After a long break he was asked to return, on a green bike he had rubber to burn.

Although it wasn't canon we later did learn, it was his last game as far as we discern.

BIG, BIG THE CAT. For you the fans shed a tear!

• Thumbs Up 9

Sonic-fixation and an apparent phobia of using characters other than Sonic, Tails and Eggman lately is what's getting Knuckles shafted.

And that does not include characters who weren't around in 1994 as well?

Treasure hunting was just as bad as fishing since it did not take me too long to find Froggy and when I did find him, the fishing mechanics were simple enough to easily reel him in. Treasure hunting was broken on every level since the radar was misleading half the time and left many players wondering just where the hell is the damn thing.

And yeah, if the gameplay is just like Modern Sonic or is just like that bullshit Treasure Hunting, I would want Knuckles shafted as well.

So...who is this guy, and why should I believe him?

I can't make any sense in this topic, I just don't know if some are being sarcastic or not. It's kinda annoying...

I'm too lazy to download or watch the video, but even then, it means nothing to me. I'll choose to wait and see, rather then express my judgement right now. Although retirement does fit Bigs character pretty well. "Who cares about saving the world? I'll just chill with my best bud."

It truly saddens me to see the rage that comes with his name. It's pretty pathetic...

Also cats have a big influence in Japan, so I doubt we'd never see him again.

I was surprised he was playable in ASR and appeared in Generations. (As a hidden secret.)