Awoo.

Big the Cat is officially retired

jeremycarrier

Its funny when we all care about Big after he's gone.

I don't love Big but I don't hate him either....

As much as I don't care for Big, I do kind of find it annoying when people overexaggerate his attribute to be this unstoppable force of awesome when he hasn't really done much to deserve such praise; its like when Shadow fanboys claim Shadow is some type of god in the series who no one can touch.

• Thumbs Up 7

For someone claiming to be apathetic to the character, I think you're grossly overreacting right now and showing a clear bitterness to people who praise him a little more than you'd like him to be.

Even more than the people who claim to actually hate him?

Poor Big... ;__; Sure he hasn't appeared in a Sonic game for ages, but he was a cute in a dumb way. If this is true, I'll miss him~

Seeing you positive towards something Sonic is weird.

There's a number 1 Sonic fan badge right there... O.o

Edited by Gabz Girl

To be honest, while I honestly like Big, I wouldn't be surprised if this was true. Between his reputation as the series's Scrappy, and the fact that, since Sonic Heroes, he hasn't appeared in a single main Sonic game, it's pretty obvious that he isn't going to be anything than the "That One Guy" of the series.

2 - Has been, more than once, declared the indisputably best character in the series by far. Note; Indisputably.

Are you certain that those who make a claim like this weren't simply joking? I mean, memes do have a short shelf-life of hilarity, but still...

Even more than the people who claim to actually hate him?

You're free to hate, dislike, or not care about a character as much as you like - I just don't think it's good to take it out on people who actually do like them. I try not to go bringing down people's claims that Shadow is the most interesting character, or that they want Mighty and Ray to return or something, nor do I overexaggerate their views and dismiss them.

People liked his simple-minded and selfless approach to what lengths he went through to save a friend, despite living a sheltered life. No one ever said that what he does is better than what Sonic does. For someone claiming to be apathetic to the character, I think you're grossly overreacting right now and showing a clear bitterness to people who praise him a little more than you'd like him to be.

Yes they did. I distinctly remember reading it. It never quite escaped by memory because of how ridiculous it was because it was clearly written as being completely serious.

I've always been against character's having memetic badass status and exaggerated mannerisms used to put them on some imagined pedestal. It's why I laughed at that blog Flynn posted about how Sally Acorn is perfect despite liking Sally, it's why I roll my eyes at Shadow fanboys who post on the TVTropes page that includes Shadow's list of character tropes how he is "Indisputedly" and "inarguably" the most badass character in the entire franchise despite the fact that I really like Shadow.

My feeling and noting how that Big is overrated has nothing to do with any dislike. It's just something I've noticed.

Yes they did. I distinctly remember reading it. It never quite escaped by memory because of how ridiculous it was because it was clearly written as being completely serious.

You spoke as if EVERYONE ELSE had the same sentiments though, which they obviously don't.

Edited by The Groosenator
  • Thumbs Up 1

See here's the thing:

When it's Big, we're joking.

Now sure, we do like Big, and we like to point out that he has done some pretty impressive things, but he is still a fat, slow, simple dude whose gimmick was a crappy fishing game and is only really concerned with getting his frog friend back. Elevating a character like that up to crazy badass levels is funny, because it's so obviously not true.

The Shadow fanboys, though? They're pretty much all dead serious. To them, Shadow is the ultracool badass who kicks every1's azz and no way Sonic can really beat him!!!, and, for the most part, that's pretty much how the games try to spin him too. There's no joke in elevating him to crazy badass; it's just a product of fanboying.

I dunno, I know on here its a joke, but I've seen people take it just as seriously as they do with Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 2

I dunno, I know on here its a joke, but I've seen people take it just as seriously as they do with Shadow.

0_0 It's gotten hard to tell who is seriously defending big and who is seriously glad he's gone.

He's still in the Comics though right? Thats the only place where I feel Big is appropriate. I mean heck Nack and Mighty and Ray are there lol

Edited by Dejablue

Considering that he's generally one of the least liked characters, was scrapped from Generations despite being planned, and wasn't in Free Riders despite being apart of Team Rose, its really not that hard to assume that he'd be given the boot.

Really? I mean I understand the Japanese love their moe, submissive characters but I would have never thought she'd be one of the popular characters over there.

Cream is lolicon. She's probably safe only because of that.

I wouldn't put Cream in that category of characters since Sega has never really used her in a fanservice-y way. (which would seriosuly not be unthinkable, since a lot of japanese franchises treats their pre-pubescent female characters just as much as sex objects as their post-pubescent ones). Then again, there was that disturbing scene in Sonic X where she was able to make one of Eggmans robots blush and have smoke come out of his ears by flirting with him...

Anyway, i think Cream is pretty much safe from retirement due to how big she used to be. In not sure how popular she ever was, but she was definitely treated by Sega as one of the main characters of the franchise for a few years (like 2002-to 2005 or so). It's often forgotten about nowadays, but back then Sonic's ususall gang of closest friends/allies was always portrayed (in both games, in Sonic X and on merchandise) as "Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Cream". So even if the gal has fallen into the background-gang in more recent years, her "legacy" will most certainly prevent her from going of the radar completely.

Yet you are the one is seems baffled that anyone likes him. If you don't give a damn about the character, then stop giving a damn about the character or why anyone would like him.

No I'm not. Stop assuming and start backing up this assumption....Oh wait, you can't. I have a well-known habit of debunking BS about characters when said BS is used to put them on some imagined pedestal. Big is no exception. Note; I debunk BS, not proven and loveable aspects of a character. People love Big for his devotion to his polliwog pal? Cool! Admire his massive strength clearly beyond any other character? That's cool too. Put him on a pedestal from some memetic badass status and treat it completely seriously?....Er.

I have always, always been against the glorification or tampering of any character for no convincing and/or meritable reason. This even includes Sonic. I've always spoke out about people putting Sonic on a pedestal because of his seniority when seniority has never been and never will be a reason to exalt a character, especially above other characters and I have always spoke out against his use or morphing into something he never was to pander to a fanbase i.e Making his Classic self mute in Generations.

Call me character portrayal-obsessive and even weird to an extent but that's just the way I roll.

Edited by Verte

Look, I'm also a stickler for character portrayal, but as long as people can separate their exaggerations from the reality of the character, then I'm fine with memetic badass-ness in the name of fun.

• Thumbs Up 3

Wow. Think what would happen if Sega said they wouldn't be using Knuckles much anymore. That would be an all-out war. Probably won't happen, though.

Two words can be used to describe my dislike of Big the Cat: fishing stages.

One word I never want to hear again in Sonic continuity is: Frooooggy!

If anyone disagrees with this, I ask them to go play Sonic Adventure as Big the Cat.

He can be the second character you play as in Sonic Adventure. Go to Station Square as Sonic and find Big the Cat. Talk to him, and he'll say "Frooooggy." After that you can play as Big the Cat. Let the frustration begin.

The Sega Forums I bet?

Because I've not see much of people taking this character too seriously especially in comparison to Shadow's fanboys. This might not be the best gauge of fanboyism, but you don't see too many Big fanboys get banned only to make a dummy account to start the trolling process over.

The Sega forums are a disaster. I have much better things to do with my time than argue with 5 year old kids, even if they are Shadow fans.

Big's campaign isn't really all that frustrating outside of perhaps his Chaos boss. Throw line, hook frog, press down, reel in, win. After awhile I just started fishing for the hell of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Big's campaign isn't really all that frustrating outside of perhaps his Chaos boss. Throw line, hook frog, press down, reel in, win. After awhile I just started fishing for the hell of it.

Ha, I always loved that fight. Just the thought of a cat fishining a god makes me laugh.

• Thumbs Up 2