Awoo.

Forum Banners

Dazz

Just a small bit of feedback from the last 10 minutes I've been here;

Those rotating banners are so incredibly dumb.

There's so many Christmas banners that I feel like this place isn't active any more, because nobody has decided to remove those.

Additional, this isn't a stab at the artists, but some of the artwork isn't exactly... "great" - compared to the official artwork.

I'd suggest a single banner that fits the scheme of the site. Failing that, a few banners that aren't Christmas related...

Edited by Dazz

I think we should get to choose our banners and only cycle through when new banners are available.

I do like Kenneth's one though.

• Thumbs Up 1

The banners really should be updated, but I'd like them to stick with the fanart ones. Sure, some aren't as good as the official art, but so what? This is a fan forum, so I like their work being shown for it too.

It's a community effort, and one of the rules for the banners if that you can't use official art for them. They have to be your own work that's submitted, which is not only nice for the artists but also the community feeling and originality. The idea is that they get updated regularly with new submission and festive themeing if there's anything going on. Admins have been too busy (or have forgotten, considering it's been so long) to update them. Yeah, I'm really sick of seeing so much Christmas stuff considering they've been up for over half a year now. If they don't have the time to stick with the rotating banners, then a solid one would be better.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'll definitely agree that the Christmas ones need shot of. It's what, June now?

I'll also agree with everyone else and say that the community banners should really stay. They're so much fun! Plus I've got another one half-made that's similar to the one above. :P

The more I think about it the more agree about community banners. It's actually pretty cool.

I think that the idea of selecting which banners show up is brilliant, that'd be really cool, but I doubt it'll be implemented.

I guess really this should just be whittled down to "Please get rid of the Christmas banners..."

The Christmas banners should be changed due to the fact that it's summer, but as for the community effort ones that aren't 'great', are creative, and I'm pretty sure they tried to technical limits. We could start working on SoS themed banners to replace Christmas ones.

Yeah, getting rid of the Christmas banners and putting a new set up is a common complaint.

I wonder what the holdup is?

If I remember correctly, Roarz was in charge of the banners. He would be the one to add new ones and stuff...

He mentioned sometime ago that he was swamped with real life and or personal things that prevented him from updating anything. It seems to still be true today, as you very rarely see him online.

I also have to mention that the banners aren't about talent. They're about the community, so some shouldn't be excluded just because others look better.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll look into getting them changed. Whether that means modifying the existing ones to remove the seasonal banners or hosting an event for more submissions, I cannot say.

There's still submissions in the banner thread that haven't been used.

Yeah, there are still at least five banners in the banner submission thread that have been sitting there for months, if I remember correctly. Just replacing the Christmas ones with those would be cool.

Well Actually Roarz Clearly Stated that No Banners will be added Untill 25th Of Novembor So weve got a while to wait.

So That Means The Second Christmas Banners Go They Just Come Back...

What Give Roarz?huh.png

I miss the days when we had different skins, it was such an exciting moment when a new one got revealed and it really let you personalize your... forum experience? lol.

Although I always stuck to the Sonical skin anyway, unless it was the amazing 2008 Halo'ween skin... haha!

Well Actually Roarz Clearly Stated that No Banners will be added Untill 25th Of Novembor So weve got a while to wait.

So That Means The Second Christmas Banners Go They Just Come Back...

What Give Roarz?huh.png

Where did he say that?

I went to the small trouble of counting how many are left in the thread to use, and they are about 16.

That should do to substitute the Christmas one's.tongue.png

Okay peeps, understood on the Christmas banners, I'll do something about them soon along with updating the banners to include newer submissions. With regards to the OP, SSMB has basically always had a static official art banner and I thought having some user-created banners would be more interesting and allow members to contribute to the look of the site. If the art isn't good enough for your tastes that's fine, but you're still being a spoilsport about it XP.

• Thumbs Up 7

Okay the new banners are now up on the site XP.

They don't seem to be working properly. I'm just getting a light blue bar that extends across the screen. I'll post a screenshot in a moment.

bannerscreenshot.png

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 1

Aw man I wish I made a banner now. Guess I'll have to wait another six months Maybe next time!

• Thumbs Up 4

Okay, should be fixed now, I didn't realize 2 of the banners were jpegs when I was putting the info in the css template. Changed those jpegs to pngs yo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lovin' those new banners. Fine mix of funny and cool-lookin'.

And the crayon one is just endearing, especially to those of us who've grown up with this franchise.