Awoo.

The Sonic topic of utter positivity

Speedy

I absolutely love the Sonic fanbase. It warms my cynical heart to see how people can be so supportive of a character that has (let's be honest) hit rock bottom. I will admit that when I was exposed to 06, I lost hope for Sonic and I doubted SEGA's skills with game design. Then Unleashed came out and I was embarrassed that they would introduce a gimmick such as the werehog. I thought the hedgehog was dead. I wanted to hear other peoples opinions, so I started browsing forums and watching videos, and for the most part I was amazed at the amount of support for the blue blur. I was so moved that I picked up Sonic and Knuckles on the XBLA because I never had the game as a kid. I was immediately sucked back into the franchise and I've been a proud supporter of the Sonic and his developers ever since.

Now for some positive thoughts about the games themselves. The 2D classic games I love for many different reasons, like the physics, for example. I was amazed at the way you could gain speed by rolling to get up steep inclines and utilize the spin-dash and jumps for speedruns. Another obvious choice is the music, which probably influenced my current taste of musical artists and genres.

As for the 3D games, I was a big fan of the Adventure titles. Aside from those, however, I feel that all the other 3D attempts lacked the control that Adventure perfected. i.e. Shadow= too slippery, 06= too precise. I thought this up until Colors and Generations which are both great games, and only boosts my confidence for the survival of Sonic.

Sonic is back and he's in great hands heading in a good direction 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the beginning cutscene of Sonic CD has been discussed previously, but not the ending.
Awesome as the opening is, the ending has a bit more character from Sonic with sneaking away from Amy while she still has her eyes covered, downing Eggman with a rock, as well as showing caution, joy and pride in dealing with badniks.

Sonicrhinobeetlesmall_zps2540dc77.png

I love the artistic style of sonic CD,and the way the characters look, Sonic's look combined with his behaviour and grace bring about a 'cute badass'  feel very effectively.

I really love how it shows Sonic in most of the levels with their respective enemies(it seems to have a scrapped level instead of Tidal tempest, though), watching it brings back memories of playing the game.
 Palmtree Panic with mosquis (mosquitoes) er...scrapped level?... With antlion badniks?, Collision Chaos with kama-kama (mantis), Quartz Quadrant with Sasori(scorpions), Wacky Workbench with Mecha bus (rhino beetles), Metallic Madness with Hotaru (fireflies), and finally showing Stardust Speedway with Metal Sonic.

Something about this though I think is a bit missing from current Sonic games though, the badniks are more threatening, Sonic has a few close calls and shows fear for it, not just ploughing through them like they're nothing, I.E, the Sonic Unleashed opening, while Sonic has probably gotten stronger, it would be a fair assumption that Eggman's robots have gotten more sophisticated as well. 
Edited by Mysterics
  • Thumbs Up 4

I absolutely love the Sonic fanbase. It warms my cynical heart to see how people can be so supportive of a character that has (let's be honest) hit rock bottom. I will admit that when I was exposed to 06, I lost hope for Sonic and I doubted SEGA's skills with game design. Then Unleashed came out and I was embarrassed that they would introduce a gimmick such as the werehog. I thought the hedgehog was dead. I wanted to hear other peoples opinions, so I started browsing forums and watching videos, and for the most part I was amazed at the amount of support for the blue blur. I was so moved that I picked up Sonic and Knuckles on the XBLA because I never had the game as a kid. I was immediately sucked back into the franchise and I've been a proud supporter of the Sonic and his developers ever since.

Eventually, after all the casual gamers become venomous and disown the hedgehog, you are left with his small, but fanatically loyal fanbase, that shall stick with him through thick and thin. :)

I know Sonic Underground doesn't enjoy much praise, but I think this is apt:

On that note. I always enjoyed many of the Sonic Underground tunes. There's a good variety of musical styles, and while the singers can be rather subpar usually, I do like their messages if nothing else. "Money Can't Buy" is very touching to me, for example.

• Thumbs Up 1

The way SEGA always keeps on trying new things even if it fails hard.
The way they always search for a new adventure and dash towards the horizon like Sonic (Even though they trip and fall once in a while)

That's what I like about SEGA and that's why I support Sonic.

They don't sit still and repeat the same kind of gameplay over and over and over and over and over with little to no change like a certain plumber (No offense, I like that said plumber as well... Well, his brother).

SEGA is much like Sonic. Always trying new things. No matter what the cost, they move forward.

• Thumbs Up 4

• 1 month later...

- Sonic X (un-edited by 4kids): this isn't a game, though I can't help but associate it with the ones I've listed above, because of how much (mostly) undeserved bashing it gets, at least when it comes to Season 3. S1 and S2 had their charm, but also left huge room for fixes and improvements; S3 did all those, and much more. It turned the show away from the uninteresting humans' world to something more Sonic-like and anime-like at the same time. This time the focus is balanced and always on Sonic characters, the story goes seamlessly from comical and light-hearted scenes, to epic and heart-breaking sessions, while always keeping every character true to him/herself.

A lot could be learnt from Sonic X - Season 3, when it comes to making great Sonic stories.

I really liked this one.  Season 3 of Japanese Sonic X was something i really enjoyed and I hope any future show Sonic may have can take a few notes from this.

I'd have to say my favorite game would have to be Sonic Adventure, I just think it's so amazing how this one game could be full of so much fun, I think every story is great! Hell, since I figured out how to actually do Big's levels, I haven't had a problem with them at all, I could beat his story in 30 minutes! 

I thought Sonic X was by far one of the best TV shows I've ever watched. The voice acting was my favorite, I wish they'd all come back! 

It'd be even better to see a new Season of Sonic X! My favorite part of the show was probably the episode where Sonic can't stop running because he got that thing from that giant chicken robot stuck in his ear! LOL!

I think one of my favorite things about the games are how they can get so addictive, and you play them so much you know every little detail about them until you just fly through them! I may not be the best at Sonic Games, but I sure have a damn good time playing them!

The way SEGA always keeps on trying new things even if it fails hard.

The way they always search for a new adventure and dash towards the horizon like Sonic (Even though they trip and fall once in a while)

That's what I like about SEGA and that's why I support Sonic.

They don't sit still and repeat the same kind of gameplay over and over and over and over and over with little to no change like a certain plumber (No offense, I like that said plumber as well... Well, his brother).

SEGA is much like Sonic. Always trying new things. No matter what the cost, they move forward.

Man this post is heartwarming. :)

It's so true, too: the main reason Sonic's had so many blunders is because Sega's tried many different genres with him, trying to see what works best or finding alternatives to the standard platforming. One can't fault Sega for trying to get into new things; press X to win or Point A to Point B would get dull after a while.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later...

Excalibursonicv16.png

Excalibur Sonic's design kick so much ass! I love it, even though it's admittedly a bit ridiculous looking (Sonic in knight armor.) Still though, when you've got the already badass image of Sonic with a sword, combined with the gold hue of Super Sonic, the closed faceplate making him look more mysterious, and his spines pointed far backwards, this is easily my favorite Super transformation next to the obvious Super Sonic.

Edited by Chaos Incarnate
  • Thumbs Up 3

• 2 months later...

I love the music for the first Tornado Defense act in Sonic Unleashed.

The music makes me feel great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOUtW94K_eY

Edited by SonicDude
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think Lost World might have been the most ambitious game we had yet. It really was a good idea to add in parkour into the gameplay formula and had a great story we had for a while. I think the characterization between Sonic, Tails, Eggman, Orbot and Cubot was the best I have see in a long time. The Deadly Six were pretty great as well, they had their serious moments and had their funny moments, it was like watching Sonic SatAM. It hurts that this game is getting the reception it got, it really is a great game. I mean this is the first game to feature dubstep in a Sonic game (Transformed doesn't count) and it is great. I think the music is the best I've seen yet! I can go on and on on how much I adore Lost World but I said enough. At the end, Lost World is the beginning of something absolutely great!

I think the beginning cutscene of Sonic CD has been discussed previously, but not the ending.
Awesome as the opening is, the ending has a bit more character from Sonic with sneaking away from Amy while she still has her eyes covered, downing Eggman with a rock, as well as showing caution, joy and pride in dealing with badniks.

Sonicrhinobeetlesmall_zps2540dc77.png

I love the artistic style of sonic CD,and the way the characters look, Sonic's look combined with his behaviour and grace bring about a 'cute badass'  feel very effectively. 

Same here. And people rarely talk about it, but Eggman's design in that cutscene was pretty damn good too. I don't know what it is, but I thought he amazing.

scd-misc-animationsimg16.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I love that Lost World did something new. Chances are that if a 4th game in the Boost trilogy came, it probably would have been okay, but also probably boring. Granted, I feel that there are some cinks that the parkour gameplay needs, such as better tutorial, and smoother, not so stiff control, but other than that, I love the uniqueness of Lost World. :)

soniclostworld_wiiu.jpg

I absolutely adore Sonic:Lost World's art style,I haven't even played the game yet and I think it's already topping Unleashed's. Everything is so off the wall bright and ridiculous, which totally fits a series about a Blue Hedgehog running through loop de loops. I also love every Deadly Six design, they're so cartoony but most of them manage to come off as threatening at the same time.

Edited by Chaos Incarnate

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't played Sonic lost world but I spoiled the hell out of it and still like the look of it.

I remember being afraid that I was going to be stuck with the likes of 'Did someone order a clobbering?" for a while.

Sonic Lost World looked fun, but I remembered trying to not get hyped for the writing. I mean, it IS a bit odd in places, but I'll be damned if Sonic isn't an adorable little prat.

I just love how Zazz is trying to be all intimidating and Sonic just makes fun of him.

It's also nice to See Eggman get thoroughly pissed off and threatening towards villains who upstage him, rather than just be pushed aside.

And I'm kind of warming up to snarky Tails since it gives him and Sonic a better back-and-forth interaction, in most games Tails kinda becomes delegated to 'the smart guy'.

• Thumbs Up 2

Despite not liking Sonic Lost World that much, it's soundtrack is probably one of my favorites in the entire series for some reason...

Also, Sonic Lost World's art style is absolutely gorgeous and impressive, considering it runs in a smooth 60 frames per second!

• 4 weeks later...

(I've yet to play Lost World, so please bear with me on the lack of any thoughts or observations that are relevant to the game, Wii U or 3DS. Thank you in advance.)

Ah, the Sonic series. I could mindlessly ramble on for hours about the things I love about my undisputed favourite gaming franchise. However, for the sake of detail, I will only focus on a few that come into my mind. And I've got to say, one of the first things that makes this franchise unique amongst countless others is the sheer depth of the in-game universe, particularly game-specific settings and locales, but also the achievement of tying it all into a coherent, expansive universe that is rich and teeming with life and variety.

Green%2BHill%2BZone.jpg

Green Hill Zone, Act 2. Sonic Generations.

Sonic-Generations-Chemical-Plant-Zone-Sc

Chemical Plant Zone, Act 1. Sonic Generations.

320px-06_FlameCore.PNG.jpeg

Flame Core, Silver. Sonic the Disaster Hedgehog 2006. (Sorry, gotta be positive.)

tumblr_m5vt9pSETu1qcz7qh.jpg

Radical Highway. Sonic Adventure 2.

2132429086_full.jpg

Starlight Carnival, Act 1. Sonic Colours.

2013-06-24_00007.jpg

Cool Edge, Day. Sonic Unleashed.

The screenshots above capitalize on my statement. The universe is expansive and genuinely interesting, which makes it a joy to interact with. It has such a wide range of areas to explore and rush through, often noticeably different in tone and pace, yet it manages to tie it all together into one universe that has managed to create and (to a certain degree) sustain it's identity. After 20+ years of games and settings for this series, I see this as a remarkable accomplishment. Not many video game series have a universe with so much variety, and yet also with an instantly recognisable feel, and this is the main (yet only one of so, so many) reasons I applaud the franchise.

Also, the variety in atmosphere and setting of a singular level, is truly something to make note of. Take, for example, Sonic and Knuckles' Lava Reef Zone.

Lavareef.png

lavareef21.png

Yes. These two screenshots are of the same zone. The transition is so subtle, yet so effective: Sonic (or Tails/Knuckles, but I digress) treks through the inside of the sweltering Lava Reef Zone, which cools down slowly and takes on a cooler colour scheme to magnify the change as Sonic reaches the Hidden Palace Zone, the sacred holding place of the seven Super Emeralds. (The existence of them in today's canon is questionable, because they seem to have been written out in favour of the outside altar, but as long as there is no proof against them existing, I don't see why they shouldn't. Plus, that's a topic for another thread.)

That is a downright masterful implementation of atmosphere in what is, may I remind, you, a 16-bit game from 1994 that lacks any dialogue or method of storytelling barring simple sprite cutscenes and the music, which happens to be my 2nd favourite aspect of this series. (That is, most Sonic music, not exclusively this game's.)

And while some may argue that Skyscraper Scamper does not fit in a world with Windy Hill and Starlight Carnival, I see no legitimate reason as to why an immensely popular fictional universe should be held to a single style with no variety or experimentation. I have absolutely no issue with Station Square and Aquatic Ruin Zone being in the same universe, because despite the obvious difference in aesthetics, they share a distinguishable style: A crazy, yet occasionally serious place, filled with inconvenient architecture, whether it be on questionably designed harbours or sunny pastures, littered with item boxes, gold rings, speed booster pads, rotating lampposts  and seven mystical chaos emeralds that are the balance to everything.

And that, to me, is the Sonic series' greatest triumph.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Think I'll bump this thread and give my few cents of praise. 

1. Sonic and Tails Bond

One thing I been noticing lately in the Sonic series that I'm really liking is how we're seeing how close Sonic and Tails are. I know probably a few people on this forum have probably talked about this, but it really is something that is just so great. I really want this to continue because I actually feel as if we never seen this much of a brotherly bond between the two before in the games. Colors showed quite a lot of their bond, and Lost World further showed how much Sonic cared for Tails

Sonic slightly threatening Zavok about his he hurt one hair on Tails head. Sonic also being upset seeing that Tails was turned into a robot, then the reveal that Tails actually still had control of himself and Sonic was glad to have him back.

Not only that, but since I got back into reading the Archie comics, I'm proud to see that the brotherly bond the two have even has reached into the comics themselves. This scene from one of the more recent issues show them exploring the Mystic Ruins Jungle, and I really just like how Sonic says something with a cool attitude, then Tails goes on to say something that a little brother would probably say.

StH_253_Grinding_Vine.jpg

2. Unleashed Nighttime Music

I'm not the biggest fan of the Werehog in Unleashed (I do think it was a nice story concept!), but one thing I loved so much was the nighttime music. While the daytime music was sure energetic and had me pumped up, the nighttime music on the other hand made me feel calm and relaxed . Unleashed is really like that Sonic game that really does prove that Sonic music can really have great relaxing songs. My favorite nighttime song actually is the Spagonia Rooftop Run song because of how it gives me that mysterious spy feeling. It's really a song that's worth a listen to (along with all the other nighttime music!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofzu70gM8ew

3. Concept Art

Sonic games really do have nice concept art in the series. Honestly, if you seen any concept art for Sonic games, I'm sure you can't help but admire how much time and effort the members at SonicTeam must of put in creating the art. The concept arts show us how some things originally looked before their finalized versions, sometimes we even get to see things that didn't make the cut into the finalized product. Below, I have shared 3 concept art that I really liked and thought it was worth showing the rest of you all! 

Silent Forest Zone 1 (Sonic Lost World)11194007226_f9c2c82a69_o.jpg

Silent Forest Zone 1 is one of my favorite (maybe my actual favorite) zone/stage/level in Sonic Lost World. I'm really glad that a piece of art from the level was shared on the SEGA Blog. I really love the nice mix of colors, and the blue butterfly in the lower right corner is a really nice touch. 

Is_this_where_that_Eggman_s_chair_from_S

Concept art from my favorite Sonic game, Sonic CD. I really wouldn't have minded seeing somewhere in the game, Eggman appearing in his "President's Chair". I really can just imagine Eggman sitting in it, hovering around inside the Metallic Madness base and watching all his badniks doing work inside the base, and even looking at monitors that show all the other badniks working in other places on Little Planet. Also, the little title to the upper left hand corner that says "E.M.I. Egg Man Industries" is a really nice name that Eggman would probably call his business.

Vanilla_Sonic_Sonic_advance_2_ending_Son

Personally, I find this concept art is very powerful. This shows one of the ending scenes in Sonic Advance 2 where things really got serious in the story, and Sonic had to not only defeat Eggman once more, but had to rescue Vanilla, the mother of Cream the Rabbit. This is also one of my favorite moments in the gaming side of the Sonic series because I feel that this entire scene in the game really portrayed Sonic as the character who is willing to give it his all just to rescue someone that is important to someone he knows. It's really heroic, I must say.

That were the three things that I wanted to give praise to in the Sonic series! smile.png

• Thumbs Up 7

i adore the boost gameplay. i've never pumped so much time into any of the classic games to get better at them, but with generations (and the unleashed product) alone, i'm up to 239 hours so far, with only like 10 hours of that being testing. it was something unique and more complex than i'd initially thought, even upon playing unleashed (well, attempting to) for the first time years and years ago. i found major comfort in the style over time.

i freaking loved the FOV effects ion unleashed. unleashed may have had more straight stretches, but you had a lot to manage to keep your flow going, and it was quite a bit more demanding of mastery over sonic's abilities. i feel the day stages, even with a sometimes slippery sonic, are the most exhilerating in the series' history. the egg lancer fight is something magical and risky. it demands actual skill and timing and i love it. i'd liike more of that, sega! actually requiring precision and skill isn't always a downside, if scaled correctly. twilightzoney's mod reminded me how cool sonic's shoes were in that as well.

the werehog worked, and it worked well enough. definitely not a game breaker (maybe a pace breaker, but that's only by comparison).

sonic 3d blast is a lot of fun, even if it isn't considered a traditional sonic game. it's a fine game in of itself, sonic or not.

i also agree with much of what's been posted already by previous users.

i could gush about the musical talents over the years, but i'm pretty sure there's a character limit. i'll just focus on unleashed again; HOLY BALLS THEY GOT THE NIGHTTIME FUNK. incredible musical pieces all around as well. emotional, and artistic. really talented people doing wonderful things that can be enjoyed without interactive context.

• 3 weeks later...

I love everything about Sonic.

OK So that's my life simplified here's some reasoning -

I absolutely adore Sonic 2006....it's my all time favorite since Sonic Adventure but I don't say that because I don't think all of the other games are bad .... seriously Sonic 06 is way cool especially because of the Tag Team feature during the game, where you can have a full go of a level featuring past Sonic Characters, and every hedgehog in the game that you can play has different moves and styles of gameplay, worlds are alternated, eggman's new look is awesome, etc

I love the Sonic TV shows all in general especially Sonic Underground. [sONIC WITH A GUITAR WOAH COOL!] AOSTH is wonderful as is Sonic X an Sonic SatAM, i'm currently exited about the new Sonic Cartoon.

I like so many things about sonic and i'm so positive about it that if i tell you all of it your head's probably goin xplode.

I was playing Sonic R last night and kept on humming along to Back in Time........Sonic R has [one of the] greatest soundtracks to a sonic game EVERER! [as well as Sonic & The Secret Rings that one rocks my socks off!]

Speaking of the boost, THAT'S MY FAVORITE FEATURE IN THE NEW SONIC GAMES! RLY.

I love using it so much that I don't even need to move the control pad in a game to beat a level in 3d. For the entire level it's just ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BLAST PROCESSING

OK I've calmed down now, sorry. tongue.png

Sega should stop listening to the negative comments. They shouldn't have slowed Sonic down in SLW. Well at least you can make him run faster anyway. PLEASE MAKE HIM UNBELIEVABLY FAST AGAIN LIKE IN THE OLD ONES IN THE NEXT GAME!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Allow me to elaborate on why Sonic: Night of the Werehog is an aspect of this franchise that I regard with a lot of fondness especially today.

Sonic Team crafted a game that positively dripped with ambition and effort. Heck they even went to the efforts of programming a graphics engine from the ground-up in order to handle the game's lighting in order to fulfill their vision for the game's art direction.

They even took to elaborating upon the game's development in their developer diaries online, providing an interesting insight into the process and their experiences during it.

They had the balls to actually make a Sonic game that expressed their ideas and weren't subservient to critics who tend to have an incredibly narrow view on what Sonic is 'supposed' to be. The result is polarizing yet still gives off that vibe of the team doing what they wanted to do. That can come-off as questionable in a way but I think they're cool for sticking to their guns regardless.

They clearly poured a heck of a lot of love into Unleashed regardless of the reception the game garnered. And no, the results do not undermine the effort in my eyes.

And yet after the sheer work and funds that went into Unleashed, instead of simply half-assing or even skimping out entirely on promotion for the game, SEGA and Sonic Team get their VE Animation Studio AKA Mazda to design characters for, write, storyboard, animate and score this 11 minute long short of pure win;

The charm, fine animation and overall care that this short is full of is just awesome. It's so great on it's own merits but what makes it all the more special to me personally is how it is effectively an amalgamation of the sheer passion this studio used to have for it's projects in droves.

Oh Sonic Team...why did your passion have to stagnate these past four years? Will you ever do anything that lives up to stuff like that animation right there? I'll happily await the day when you once again embrace what made you such a cool developer who treated the Sonic series with high regard regarding the creation of experiences that resonate with such production values after travesties like Shadow and '06. Should I hold my breath? Or would that be unwise?

Oh wait, this is a positivity topic isn't it? So I'll stop right there and reiterate that I'll always regard NoTW with considerable fondness for quite a few reasons.

• Thumbs Up 7

Man I like flying battery zone. Just seems like the level with everything. Going fast, tight areas, just so much going on and so much bespoke just for it.

My experience with tribes tells me that with proper physics, a CTF multiplayer mode could be a great thing.

Oh Sonic Team...why did your passion have to stagnate these past four years? Will you ever do anything that lives up to stuff like that animation right there? I'll happily await the day when you once again embrace what made you such a cool developer who treated the Sonic series with high regard regarding the creation of experiences that resonate with such production values after travesties like Shadow and '06. Should I hold my breath? Or would that be unwise?

Oh wait, this is a positivity topic isn't it?

If you know this is the Topic Of Utter Positivity why did you even bother to add this last complaint?

Don't get me wrong, you HAVE the rights to feel like that towards SEGA and Sonic Team, but not here (the very first post of this topic made clear that complaining is unwelcome here)

Besides, the fact that SEGA/Sonic Team is not as brilliant as before, doesn't mean that our favourite games are now relics of the past.

Sonic Unleashed, Heroes, Adventure, Storybooks etcetera are still there on the shelf, still ready to be played and be enjoyed like the years of their debuts.

These games are not "a past that will never come back". They're still the present, if we want them to be it.

• Thumbs Up 4

If you know this is the Topic Of Utter Positivity why did you even bother to add this last complaint?

Don't get me wrong, you HAVE the rights to feel like that towards SEGA and Sonic Team, but not here (the very first post of this topic made clear that complaining is unwelcome here)

Besides, the fact that SEGA/Sonic Team is not as brilliant as before, doesn't mean that our favourite games are now relics of the past.

Sonic Unleashed, Heroes, Adventure, Storybooks etcetera are still there on the shelf, still ready to be played and be enjoyed like the years of their debuts.

These games are not "a past that will never come back". They're still the present, if we want them to be it.

I agree and in retrospect I regret adding that bit especially given the topic's theme :| And you are right, those games etc I so treasure aren't going anywhere at the end of the day :)

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a good feeling about Sonic Boom. I was very impressed with the trailer for both the TV show and the game. Boom is defintely going to be one of those family friendly cartoons, comedy for the kids but adults can enjoy it too since it's not too corny and the action was well paced, I'm pretty sure the writers know how to handle an 11 minute episode and still make it work. For the game, we can finally play as other characters and it looks really nice. From what I've heard, BRB was a pretty good choice to handle this kind of game and I hope Sonic Team can use some of the concepts BRB uses, like multiple playable characters and better writing. And dat Bangarang though! XD