Awoo.

The Sonic topic of utter positivity

Speedy

Good luck with it! :)

Been forever since I last posted something on SSMB. Been busy, writing and drawing and playing Sonic Lost World on my new 2DS. ;)

Anyway, time to crawl out of my hole again. I'm here to talk about Sonic Boom. A lot of people talk about it right now, so I won't really make that big a difference, but still.

When I first heard they were gonna make a new Sonic cartoon, I was curious on what it would be like. Then the first teaser pics showed up, and I, as much as everyone else probably, made some fun of the characters' new shapes. Then it got quiet for a while and I kind of forgot about Sonic Boom.

And then Sonic Stadium posted the announcement for the game and show, along with first screenshots. I had barely looked at the screens, and I already felt a little bit hyped from this game, in spite of knowing nothing about it really.

The graphics look nice. Yes, we've all come to expect shiny looks from a new Sonic title, but it's still nothing I take for granted.

When you actually look at the screen shots, you can try and guess a few things about gameplay from them. It's jumping to conclusions, but every now and then, this is fun, too. So, I jumped. You can see Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy, all one one picture, running around and fighting robots. The camera seems to look at the quartett from a much more dynamic angle than in previous titles like Generations or even than Lost World.

And then the part of me that's still deeply in love with Sonic Adventure and Sonic Heroes was smiling, because something about the screen shots we've been shown from Sonic Boom so far really look a little bit like those games. Maybe we can expect to play as Sonic's friends again. As much as I like Sonic, I've missed playing as Knuckles and Tails, for example.

From what it looks and what little interviews revealed so far, Sonic Boom will have more exploring again, puzzles and platforming and looking around the stage for collectibles. To me, that sounds like a concept I'll like.

So yeah, right now I'm looking forward to see what becomes of Sonic Boom. smile.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm with you, I am slightly skeptical of Sonic Boom, but I'm really interested in playing different characters and seeing Amy and Knuckles play a prominent role again.

It's also really nice seeing such a beautiful world in the footage and such detailed concept arts, I may have slight reservations about the style but there's no denying the environments are going to be extremely well-made and atmospheric.

Also from what I've seen I like the way Sonic and Eggman talk to each other, evidence they will have a fun dynamic I think.

• 2 months later...

I love Sonic.

The Blue Blur has provided me with endless possibilities (reference totally intended), and had taken me to worlds the rest of gaming doesn't really go to. From the mish-mash of the Adventure Era, the surreal art of the Classics, to beyond, I always look forward to where I will go next, blazing at the speed of sound all the way.

• Thumbs Up 6

Aw Crusher you said what was going to say.

Kidding, kidding.

I've been a fan of this series for nearly 15 years, and I don't believe I'll ever quit the series. You see, there are are elements that gave me influences for my drawings, spurred my creativity and overall there's so many good things I see in the Sonic brand.

The world, environments, music, characters..all of those kept me interested in this series through thick and thin. That's not going to change. See I when played Sonic Heroes for the time I knew Sonic would be one of my all time favorites. I still have fond memories of playing it.

I know in the past decade things haven't been keen for the Blur Blur. But you know what? I'm not gonna let step my adoration for the franchise. There's too many things I adore about it to be off with it, and I'll be damned if anyone tries to take that away.

There is more I would add, but being on mobile I feel doesn't suit posts like this enough lol. I'll end it with this though.

I am that guy that's 'there' with the franchise. I love this fanbase and maybe my views on it aren't popular or not in the majority. But hey it is what it is; ultimately I just take in stride at the end of the day. With that said I am looking foward to Sonic Boom. I even started getting interested in the Archie Sonic comics because I want to delve into other areas of the franchise as well.

• Thumbs Up 8

I've been a fan of this series for nearly 15 years, and I don't believe I'll ever quit the series. You see, there are are elements that gave me influences for my drawings, spurred my creativity and overall there's so many good things I see in the Sonic brand.

Actually, you've reminded me of something.

For those of you who don't know, I happen to write up my own little Sonic fanfics. Yeah yeah, fanfics, hahaha, what a banana head, so on and so forth, etc etc. But they're nothing too unusual, they're just typical adventures of Sonic and Tails VS Robotnik with some other characters in this one or that one. (So Knuckles is important in one, Blaze and Marine are important in another one, Metal Sonic for another one, an occasional new character or two for when I think it would be necessary, you get the idea.) But regardless of how crap or not-quite-as-crap-but-still-pretty-crap my own scribbly writing is, thinking up all these ideas and zones and whatnot is... exciting? I'm not sure how to describe it, but not unlike the Classic Spyro series, or Crash Bandicoot, the world of Sonic is one that fits me, and so it feels good thinking up my own little additions for such a cool world.

Of course, I don't mean that in an egotistical sense, not by a long shot. I'm just saying that I like to think of it as my own way of paying tribute to a series that I enjoy, and to express my gratitude for it's existence. smile.png

• Thumbs Up 1

It's kinda like drawing for me. I just don't see my stuff fitting anywhere as far creativity is concerned but mainly Sonic. ell, I always come up with locales and areas with the Sonicverse, or get influence from said franchise to spur my own work.

I figure I'll throw my two-cents in (I didn't even know such a thread existed).

I love Sonic, and just everything about it. The world is fun and open to all sorts of different interpretations, and in the right hands, can juggle different tones and styles while keeping its identity intact. Sonic, among some other things, provided the initial spark I felt for art and illustration, and to that I am eternally grateful. Through good and bad times, Sonic is a constant in my life.

While the games have felt a little hollow at times lately, I still can't help but get hyped up with each new announcement. I mean, it's Sonic, man! Even if they're not exactly what I want, I consider games we've gotten in the last four years or so to be technically sound, and often fun, despite the fact that Sonic Team plays it safe for the sake of critics and the most jaded fans (who just don't care in the first place).

But while I admit that Sonic Team leaves me cold by ignoring their lore, extensive cast, and awesome possibilities, that's where Archie picks things up and delivers an experience that, while with its own imperfections, is a very solid and fun read, making use of everything SEGA/Sonic Team will allow them to and then building off of that, creating a rich and interesting world that draws me in from month to month.

In spite of some missteps, I don't think I can really lose my enthusiasm for Sonic. There's always something there for me, and from it all else that I'm interested in is sprung.

OK, perhaps this isn't "utterly positive," but I tried. tongue.png

I kinda feel like most people here have already said everything I would. I've just been a fan of Sonic for about 16 years, more or less and while it has its ups and downs I always find myself drifting back into the franchise again no matter what, so it's something I really like and will stay like that always most likely. The franchise just has so many stuff to it that other games don't really acomplish for me, it was unique back in the 90's and I think it's even more unique now, not every game company has a cute antropomorphic mascot like Sonic.

And well since I've liked Sonic from such a young age, it did eventualy spark my interest in drawing, animation and that sort of stuff, it did help me figure my tastes out in the end.

While I like most games in general I obviously have my favourite ones, my all time favourite being.. wait for it...... Sonic Adventure 2, yeah, the incredibly flawed game as some might say, nostalgia goggles or not, i absolutely adore the game for the variety it gives not only on the gameplay but the music and how they fit each character, plus chaos. I think it's a great game in general. SA1, S3&K and Unleashed are some of my favourites. Unleash was more of a gradual thing though, the game just grew on me, I own the wii version so no world hub for me, but the wii also had good things to offer as the level desigm was diferent. I really loved how detailed it looked overal, it really looks pretty, especially the night stages and gorgeous concept art, you can really see they put some love to it, but thats nothing that hasn't been said here already. :L

As for shows, unfortunately I was only able to watch Sonic Underground, I dont recall any of the other Sonic cartoons being aired in my country (besides Sonic X), though some people say Underground is bad in comparison to the other ones but I still loved it as a child, and the instruments concept was realy cool, can't deny that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Soooo... there's something else I'd like to say. Some of it is essentially repeating what I've said before, but I think that's necessary for what I'm going on about.

So you'll have probably gathered by now that a lot of the reactions to Sonic Boom today were not the most enthusiastic. I'm personally feeling neutral about it, in that there wasn't much that really, immediately interested me, but I could potentially change my mind when later happenings ensue. (Also, while it's too early to judge the character in regards to his overall personality and whether or not he'll do anything to make Robotnik look bad, I do really like the design concept for Lyric, so that's one point for him already, at least.) But anyway, this isn't about how I feel with Boom.

While I don't actually recall seeing any examples of such today, I imagine that it's very easy for some folk to start the tirade about how this is the last straw for them, or how they won't be getting their Sonic appetite this year. Or alternatively, it's easy for them to kick off the rant about how they've lost all hope for the franchise (despite saying the same thing every other time more often than not, making me wonder why they're still willingly talking about the series if they apparently stopped caring about it years ago).

To which I say to all of that... Chill.

0c1c1914_mr-freeze.jpeg

Not like that.

...Well, maybe like that. Only a little.

If you're waiting for the next "main" Sonic game, it's not that far away. 2015? No problem. If you're playing other games and doing whatever else in the meantime, the time will fly by. It's only a long wait if you make it a long wait, if you get what I'm saying.

But whether you're waiting for that mystery 2015 game or not... You're going to win some, and you're going to lose some, but in the event of the latter, it's not the end of the world. Why would you want to waste so many hours, days, or even months (years?) on feeling slighted by a video game? Call me naive, but surely there are far better and less gloomy ways to spend your time. Back in 2009, after coming to the conclusion that Sonic and the Black Knight wouldn't be up my street, I simply went on my merry way and did other things - including getting right back to my own Sonic-specific interests - while waiting for whatever game(s) came next. Now admittedly, it's not always as simple as that, and different individuals will have different feelings and different ways of responding, I do understand that. But for the most part, I believe that if more people relaxed a little more about this sort of thing, the overall community would already be one step closer to feeling even more inviting and friendly to many. smile.png

• Thumbs Up 7

There's one Sonic soundtrack that doesn't get enough love, and I have to express my feelings of joy toward it.

secretrings_original_front.jpg

Most of the game is populated by hard rock music, courtesy of the band Runblebee. While this may strike some as an odd change of pace, as most Sonic soundtracks have some varieties of music to its credit, I can't help but love it all the same. All the stage themes, from Evil Foundry's "Palace that was found" to Erazor Jinn's easy-to-work-out-to-you-should-totally-try-it theme, "It Has Come to This", all find a way to creep into my head. It never leaves me, and it's some of the finest examples of catchy rock in a Sonic game. And then there's the ending theme, Worth a Chance by Steve Conte.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKywKqzp5jM

Easily the highlight of the whole entire OST, it's definitely a song filled with emotion and passion. Describing Sonic and Shahra's friendship, along with her relationship with Erazor, it's one of the sweetest, peaceful, and most beautiful songs in the series that doesn't get enough credit.

See, music is always one of the greatest aspects of the Sonic series. The quality of the games will be debatable until the end of time, but music is always something to come back to. It's something I always look forward to, and I appreciate that the whole entire series offers a wide range of diverse musical genres. For that, I want to salute and thank all of the musicians who have poured their heart and soul into the Sonic series. Without them, it just wouldn't be the same.

• Thumbs Up 3

See, music is always one of the greatest aspects of the Sonic series. The quality of the games will be debatable until the end of time, but music is always something to come back to. It's something I always look forward to, and I appreciate that the whole entire series offers a wide range of diverse musical genres. For that, I want to salute and thank all of the musicians who have put their heart and soul into the Sonic series. Without them, it just wouldn't be the same.

Agreed, definitely. While Secret Rings' soundtrack in particular isn't one of my favourite soundtracks overall (but don't worry, there are still a few tracks that I like in it!), the music is one of the core aspects that I feel makes the series complete, and so I'm always up for a chance to give more credit to the music of the Sonic series when possible. :)

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, hey, this thread is still alive! I'm so glad for that, because I do got something that I want to speak positively of.

After having watched and rewatched the new (at this time) gameplay videos for both Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric and Shattered Crystals, I can safely say that I genuinely liked what I saw from them. I mean, they're quite different than the usual Sonic game with its focus on combat and gadgets, that's beyond reasonable doubt, but they're different in a way that honestly clicks with me. As far as I'm concerned, that I like them really matters to me more than anything. Sure, it probably says a lot about my personal tastes in games--I do like the Wii U version of Sonic Lost World a lot-- but hey, I like what I like. smile.png

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm not particularly enthusiastic about Sonic Boom, but I am indeed very curious to see the final outcome, especially the tv series, it's been so long since any TV series with Sonic were made, so I'm pretty hyped about it uvu

This topic still lives. It really still lives. happy.png

Maybe that's something that also needs to be said about the Sonic fandom/community. It lives. Serveral times, they said Sonic would suck now, and yet, we're all still here. The community happily produces artwork, fanfiction, fan-made games, videos, music and articles even if no new input from Sega comes for a while. Yes, we bicker, we all have our quirks and character, but the Sonic community is still around either way, happily enjoying blue hedgehog stuff. Or arguing about blue hedgehog stuff. But arguing with dedication, and that's what counts. Right? wink.png

• Thumbs Up 6

The designs have been immortalized into statues:

10447412_413214342153943_888080326117518

I'm positive because I had the opportunity to get a photo op with them, given I highly doubt they'll be at either Sonic Boom 2014 or any other gaming expo I attend.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is my kind of topic.

SA1 was a goddamn masterpiece. Everything from the great controls to my blatant ignoring of Big the cat and the ability to hack past his story in the PC version makes it so fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

THANK U SO MUCH!!!! THESE FORUMS ARE GETTING DEPRESSING!!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I don't really have much to say here, except...

I Love EVERYTHING about Sonic. Everything.

All of the characters? Love 'em. Even the ones with annoying voices. Love 'em. I can honestly say, there's not a single sonic game I haven't played that I haven't enjoyed. Even 06, which has frustrating at first, I found a way around, and I'd still find myself coming back to even when I'd completed all the stories. I probably know crisis city off by heart.

I love the direction Sonic is going in. I really like all voices sonic has ever had (Jaleel white being the only exception), and I think Roger is a pretty good fit for the current generation.

I have faith in Sonic Team, and I think the next Sonic Game will undoubtably be awesome.

I just really love the Sonic series. All of it.

...Well, that's me done.

IM CRYING THANK U THANK U!!!!!!!! I agree!!!!!

For me, I don't think about any complaints at all when I hear something new happen to sonic! Like Sonic Boom, I was so excited for this new series! I love how sonic is evolving! And I don't hate Sonic 06 at all; I LOVED the storyline!!!!

OHMYGOD I'm gonna friend like all of u positive ppl!

Also I really like sonic and elise <3

• 3 weeks later...

While I think the games look ok, I'm actually really looking forward to the Sonic Boom cartoon series. I just want to see what they do with the characters in this new universe entirely and I'm wiling to bet most people here will probably hate it, but I tend to eat this stuff up for some reason. It seems like no matter where the series goes I'm probably going to love it to the end.

Plus when it comes to series(any series at all) that may start to go downhill I often think it can't stay that way forever. Things happen to the people currently working on it and if it doesn't get canceled, then new people will come about and I'm always interested to see what happens next, for better or worse.